It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Most Dangerous Mission Ever, set for tomorrow 5/11/09- being stranded in space possible

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
My views on NASA... well the jury is still out on that one. My biggest fear is that we have classified technology hidden from the public such as anti-grav -and that we routinely interact with space travel on classified programs. If that is the case then the shuttle would be ancient technology and a cover story to maintain secrecy of our real capabilities -and if that is the case these outstanding people are being put at risk for nothing.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

this is incorrect,they have been to the hubble before,if you remember to correct the optics,because the mirror was ground to the wrong shape,and they had to add a lens to correct the focus.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Has this just launched? I watched the nasa tv, and it seems to be mid launch...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Hey rememeber when they were ready to scrap Hubble, because they needed to boost it into a higher orbit.

Now all of a sudden they dump over a billion in to repairing it, this makes sence to me because this is prime time and that other one might not be going for another 4 years. I'm one that always says keep what you've got till you have new one then still keep old one incase new one breaks.

But I think more is to this, not that I am a conspiracy freak, if I were why would I be on ATS. Any how this is how I look at things, they want to look at something, and it seems it has become very important for them to look at what ever it is.
So could it be astroid, Nirbus, or just to look at some of the things that have just been discovered on the earth base telescopes that need further investagation if we are going to under stand universe. Who wants to wait 4 years everyone could be dead.
Anyhow there is more to, this someone wants to know something and fast.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 4demon

launched at 2:01pm today - you are seeing the reruns of the launch on the NASA TV

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I see, thank you very much

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Oh I see this not only to fix Hubble, but to also improve it's vision.
I know there is that one section of space they just found by accident , that they want to take a closer look at.
But what was broke to begin with and why did it break right when Nirbus is coming?
Are they going to show us pictures of Nirbus or will we just have to wait for close up view?

[edit on 11-5-2009 by googolplex]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Well maybe there deploying something else, far from prying eyes and at the same time doing some upgrades on the Hubble, or they getting their first taste of a deep space travel. Lets face it, we know as much as they tell us, so if there is some mission of national importance we will never know.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
OP: Good lord. Read up on the mission a bit before posting conjecture and opinion. Certainly little fact.

Read up on the mission STS-125.

www.space.com...

Sometimes a mission is just a mission. Not everything is a conspiracy.

This will be an exciting mission. This is Hubble Service Mission #4, nothing new here. It is just a big deal because it is the last and they have had an accident between now and the last service mission.

It was not rushed. At all. Whatsoever. This mission was on life support for a long while and was almost cancelled when Hubble had a bit of a cardiac arrest last year. They delayed until now to make sure all of the effort wouldnt be wasted.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapacious

I could be wrong but the fact alone that there is a second ship on stand by in the event that it might be needed for a rescue mission is evidence enough that this is no regular mission , or is this common practice now ?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Max....the concern is about space debris damaging and compromising the thermal tiles, in a way that makes on-orbit repair impossible.

If damage is too severe, they will not be able to re-enter in Atlantis.

So, the idea here is, have a second Orbiter ready as a "lifeboat" idea. Normally, on a mission to the ISS, if the damage was severe they'd be able to take refuge there, and wait months for a second Shuttle.

However, there is not enough ability of the Shuttle to change its orbital inclination, after rendezvousing with Hubble, to subsequently rendezvous with ISS.

Make sense now???

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Yes as did it before . I am only pointing out that its not common practice to have a second ship on reserve , whatever the reason .

Sorry but did I imply that there was some other hidden reason that they were doing this ?
It wasn't my intention .

If God forbid something does go wrong , as per the reasons stated by you , would that alone not create the most dramatic chain of events ?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Well put........I agree that this is likely something normal, but you know me and conspiracies.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

If God forbid something does go wrong , as per the reasons stated by you , would that alone not create the most dramatic chain of events ?

IMO NASA is on thin ice right now. They have been falling behind and not making enough progress for the people up in Washington, not to mention several of their previous missions to Mars ended up failing. Another disaster would greatly increase the chance of NASA taking drastic cuts or even closure and a all military space agency IMO.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

This is some thing new, that should have been relized before, maybe it was but never used. Money, lives?
With the coming Mars and Moon Missions , they relized they can't just leave the astronuts hanging without some type of back up, redundant system double and triple back up.
They must of finally caught up with old space moves, that were able to do rescue missions.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I think there should be a new thread on this as it is live feed - anyway -

about 1 minute after the cargo bay opens on the left side you will see a UFO come into vision and leave about 2 seconds later - I hope someone is taping this!

wZn

[edit on 11-5-2009 by watchZEITGEISTnow]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Okay - so if something happens to Atlantis - then the other shuttle will go get them- right?

Now - a few questions to that - IF they have to be rescued - then do they just abandon the Atlantis? If they abandon - then the largest space junk ever will be orbiting around? Also - what about the other crew? wouldn't the other crew be in danger too? How could they just let Atlantis just become space junk - if they didn't let that happen - do they explode it - into small pieces - does it fall back to Earth?

To me there are many unanswered questions about the whole mission if something happens.

But hey, I always have questions!
runs with the name

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   

That's a lot of IFs.

As to 'the largest piece of space junk ever'...remember the Russian Mir station?

What I envision is after the Mission is completed at the HST they will drop back down to a standard orbit and conduct a tile inspection, as they do routinely now. They have the ability to repair certain damage, but IF it is too extensive then they have enough consumables to last until the other shuttle can rendezvous, dock, transfer and return to Earth.

Atlantis will stay on orbit for a very long time. IF and when it is worth the cost I suppose they can come up with a repair/retrieval option.

I think all of this supposition will likely be moot -- BUT the number one concern is the Humans, and their safety. NOT the equipment (due to be retired soon anyway). The Atlantis can be parked and remain on orbit for a very long time. High enough so atmospheric drag won't be a factor in orbital decay, and in a trajectory that doesn't conflict with other orbiting equipment.

[edit on 5/12/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Yet another good thread. More stars & flags for you! I've been talking to people about this today. Very risky, yet important. Hubble has provided some of the most beautiful and mind blowing pictures I've ever seen. I look forward to the crew's (hopeful!) success and to the future images Hubble will bring.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

First thing would be to rescue crew , second would be to try and place abandoned space craft in safe orbit out of way.
They would not blow it up then they have more space junk.
I would say tow it to space statoin fix, or crash it in the moon.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by googolplex]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join