It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lunar Tower "Pico" (Pictures from my telescope ) *Updated Video*

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I noticed the shadow but that was about it. I do think you have one heck of a telescope however. You say it's a Vixen R130 is that for Refactor 130mm? if not would you give me the specs? as I'm looking to purchase one and like I said yours is most impressive. Thanks &Happy Hunting!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
A very interesting pic indeed.

I find it particularly interesting how the 'rock' above the tower casts a much much shorter shadow which is really making me think that this is one large object.

However, Merca's comment regarding Mons Pico does sound extremely sensible to me.

I'm the first to admit that I don't know much about the moon, but I think I'm gonna go and have a look.

Have you tried uploading the video to the ATS Media Portal?

Thanks for some beautiful images.

Peace,

MGGG

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I don't see any anomalies or towers here.

This is what it looks like:
www.lpod.org...
img156.imageshack.us...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka
reply to post by kdial1

No I meant a smear on official satellite photos

Anyway, I found a photo of it:

www.lunarrepublic.com...

This particular "lunar tower" is also called Mons Pico and it does produce a considerably longer shadow than its little brother Pico even in this footage where the shadows are shorter.

Edit: And its on Wiki
en.wikipedia.org...

Due to its isolated location on the lunar mare, however, this peak can form prominent shadows when illuminated by oblique sunlight.

Or even better:

Pico is the site of a climactic space battle in Arthur C. Clarke's novel Earthlight.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by merka]

Thanks merka!! Quick research, that's what I love about this place. At first I rotated the picture and could not see it. My pictures do not show the base as clear as the other image you showed above. My pictures seem like they show the tower to be alot taller almost like it is growing if you compare them to the crater shadows. Is it growing?.......nah....I think it is just like what one poster said above it is sunrise and sunset affect of throwing shadows. Anyways thanks for the quick research, much appreciated.

If anyone would like pictures of certain areas of the moon please let me know and I will do my best to get them for you so you can use them for research and or comparison. I do have higher power eyepieces I can use to get alot closer. I plan on getting a Cannon 5D here soon so the images will be alot more crisp.

I will be uploading the video here in about 30 minutes for anyone who wishes to see it.

-Kdial1

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

That is known as a sunset (or sunrise) here on planet Earth and the phenomena of exponentially longer shadows in conjunction with this is quite common.

Yeah I may sound like a complete twat, but I see nothing spectacular. Plus the area is highly likely to exist in high resolution satellite images.

Now, if someone where to post those and the exact area where the telescope pictures is smeared or something, then I'd be like "woah!" too.

kdial1, those are fabulous pictures. Well done! Especially the first and second pics you posted. But as merka correctly points out, the tower in question is located exactly at a position that equates to the sun setting over the mountains here on earth. So a long shadow is to be expected. Obviously, as an amateur astronomer you're fully aware of that, so please don't be offended. I only say it to make my point below.

Having said that, it is indeed longer than the shadows of other objects nearby. But we also have to consider that this object with the longest shadow is also closer to the "edge of darkness" than most of the other objects nearby so it's shadow would be even longer for that reason alone. But your point is still well taken... that is a long shadow and therefore the object is definitely tall. I don't think it's an office building but it does seem like some sort of anomaly. Very interesting!

Very nice pictures indeed. Thanks for posting them.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by Albertarocks]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Thank you for the pictures. I myself am working on homemade (and grinded) telescoping lens for this same reason. Thank you again. Lets take a look at the moon and see what is to be seen, shall we?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I think it's interesting to point out that the object in the dark side of the moon that is showing sunlight on it definetly suggests that it has to be VERY tall to get that sunlight to reflect on it.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Why won't you read previous comments to find out how tall it is?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Why won't you read previous comments to find out how tall it is?

Uh yeah ok, I only read the first page, but I was only pointing out that interesting fact. Do you see what I mean?

I guess it proves that compared to the other surroundings these are definetly much taller in comparison to the ground, creating that effect. Which thanks to your pictures proves to be high hills/mountains.

I never said it was a tower.

I don't get why you get two stars for telling me to read when my point is valid.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ablue07
I noticed the shadow but that was about it. I do think you have one heck of a telescope however. You say it's a Vixen R130 is that for Refactor 130mm? if not would you give me the specs? as I'm looking to purchase one and like I said yours is most impressive. Thanks &Happy Hunting!

Here are the Specs:

Optical tube
130mm, Multi Coated, Newtonian Optical Tube

Focal Length / F#
650mm F/5.0

Eyepieces PL20mm, PL 6.3mm
Finder scope
6 x 30 Finder

Highest Useful Magnification
260x

Limiting Stellar Magnitude

Resolution: Rayleigh
Resolving power : 0.89"

Light Gathering Power
345x

Field of View: standard eyepiece
with LV20mm : 1.5 degrees - 40x

Optical Coatings
Multi-coated

Optical Tube Length
Tube diameter 140mm / 5.5 in
Length 650mm / 25.5 in

Optical Tube Weight
9 lbs

I also purchased a porta mount. When choosing a telescope the one thing I recommend is going out to your local astronomy club and seeing what kind of telescope you would like, they would be more than willing to let you peer through and mess around with it. The one I am using is a Newtonian.

If you like searching the night skies and are more of someone who likes puzzles I would definately recommend you get a mount that lets you manually scan the skies. There are alot of computerized scopes out there that are preprogrammed to find stuff for you, but I find it annoying that you cannot manually track stuff. Especially if you find a comet! Anyways if you have any questions just u2u me and I will give you some more advice.

I mainly purcased the one I had for the quality of images and the price. I was very impressed. The images you see in my photos simply do not give anything justice. When you look through the telescope it is so crisp clear and sharp you will be breathless....pictures just do not do it for me, that is why I go out every weekend and scan the skies. The pictures you are seeing are from a eyepiece that does not have good magnification, you can see alot more detail when you use different eyepieces.

Keep in mind good eyepieces will cost as much as the telescope sometimes.

I know someone who actually saw a spacewalk at the international spacestation from their telescope. How cool is that!!

Here is the video For everyone to view. Hope you enjoy!

Video

-Kdial1

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I think that Merka is correct, the one casting the longer shadow is definately Pico, and the close feature is Pico b (or β):

ive rotated the image by 180° and added also the surrounding features:

Two nice shots from Lunar orbiter and Clementine:

As they look on the map:

Its Approx. measures are:
  • 15,5 miles length
  • 9,3 miles width
  • 1,4 miles height

www.lpi.usra.edu...
    www.lpi.usra.edu...
    www.lpi.usra.edu...
    /o6vp73

Thanks for sharing these very nice pics: many will be encouraged in buying a telescope and some good camera after seeing them

[edit on 10/5/2009 by internos]

• posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:56 PM
    link   
    reply to post by internos

Nice work Internos as always!! You never let me down with the quality of your research and illustrations showing what you are talking about. Thanks.

-Kdial1

[edit on 10-5-2009 by kdial1]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:35 PM
    link   
    reply to post by kdial1

I am impressed at how close your Telescope can get to the Moon.
    Just the other day i was wondering if someone on ATS had a Telescope that could get that close, and here you are, funny how thing work.
    Here's the Vixen Optics line up if anyone's interested..

Thank you for this, and i look forward to your video...S&F

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:38 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Illuminottie
    reply to post by kdial1

Thank you for this, and i look forward to your video...S&F

My Video is Posted in my OP now.

That eyepiece was not one of my higher magnification ones actually it was my lowest magnification. I will have to post some higher magnification pictures for everyone here.

-Kdial1

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:41 PM
    link   
    You know, if you put a light source almost perpendicular to the ground and direct it at something one meter tall, the shadow will be much much longer than 1 meter?
    That is why your shadow is longer during the evening. There is no tower on the moon, just shadows.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:47 PM
    link   

reply to post by kdial1

No I meant a smear on official satellite photos

Anyway, I found a photo of it:

www.lunarrepublic.com...

This particular "lunar tower" is also called Mons Pico and it does produce a considerably longer shadow than its little brother Pico even in this footage where the shadows are shorter.

Edit: And its on Wiki
    en.wikipedia.org...

Due to its isolated location on the lunar mare, however, this peak can form prominent shadows when illuminated by oblique sunlight.

Or even better:

Pico is the site of a climactic space battle in Arthur C. Clarke's novel Earthlight.

Well that cleared that up then lol, next thread please.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:06 PM
    link   
    Those are awesome picture from moon. I found some strange on the moon. i love real pictures on the moon than NASA pictures. I give u big thumb up
    i will post later where i found those strange.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by DeafRaz]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:10 PM
    link   
    reply to post by kdial1

I find the tetrahedron (pyramid) more interesting because it is such an unnatural shape. If you click the zoom on the picture on the little triangle about 3/4 the way down and about 1/6 the way across (about 2 inches up from the bottom and about 1 inch in from the left side) you can see that one of the two visible sides of the tetrahedron is shaded because of the angle of sunlight. This is pretty much proof that the tetrahedron is in fact there.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:42 PM
    link   
    I urge everyone to flag this thread, not because of the supposed tower but because of the marvellous photographs that the OP has taken. There is something extremely awe inspiring looking at the moon up close.

Thanks for sharing the pictures dwnloading your video now. Star for you my friend

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:52 PM
    link   
    Nice pics - better than any of the other "space agencies" we have seen since the 1966 - 1967 Lunar Orbiter photos (you know - when NASA was legit).

Keep taking pictures/videos and posting them here - there is a keen audience awaiting to view them (unlike NASA telling us people "lost interest" in the moon - I mean artificial craft).

wZn

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join