It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lunar Tower "Pico" (Pictures from my telescope ) *Updated Video*

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Question:

In your Moon Tower 2 picture, I scrolled about half way across the top of the picture to the Edge of the Moon and darkness, what is all that stuff?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdial1
Hey all, Just wanted to put this on here and see what everyone thought of this? To me when I was looking at this it was very very clear. Unfortunately it is hard to take a picture in such a high power telescope.

The Telescope and options I used was:

Vixen R130
2xBarlow Lens
32mm lens (I believe that is it...not sure)
Celestron Point and shoot camera mount

Using a Kodak M1033 HD

Moon Tower 1

Moon Tower 2

Updated: Video My girlfriend was getting cold and wanted me to move the telescope towards the fire so she would be warmer....I did not want ashes going into my reflector so that was a negative for her. Just thought I would let you know in case you were wondering what she was saying.

These Photos are in their original form, I just saved them and renamed them.

Also I took a video as well, I will post this as well if anyone wants to see it. It is high quality and I am not sure if ATS will support it. So if anyone can tell me a good place to upload videos for free without signing up for anything I will send the High Def video as well.

Back to the picture what caught my attention on this was the shadow this tower was throwing off. Look forward to hearing analysis.

-Kdial1

(BTW I am in the UK right now and yesterday went to the Templar Church which was awe inspiring.....so was St. Pauls Cathedral and Stonehenge... to keep up with all of my updates on my trip in the UK follow me on twitter same profile name that I use here on ats (kdial1) I will be posting tons of pictures from the Templar Chruch for everyone to see.)

Disclaimer: These Pictures are the Sole property of kdial1 they may not be used or reproduced without the express permission of kdial1.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by kdial1]

You have to specify the area in question, because i don't see anything

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
the dark section of the moon is dark, thus it is not facing the sun....

Yes that means the angle the sun hitting the object is very low, ever stood in a field at dusk and seen your shadow? it's much longer than say your 2pm shadow was right? this pillar of rock is just that, a pillar of rock with a long shadow at dawn.... we have BILLIONS of them on earth, many are geologic features dating to the precambrian era -which can only mean the alien wizards formed a conspiracy to create them rite? oh or they're just random features of nature whatever.....

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Without reading the thread I can tell you that shadows from the terminator can do very exaggerated things. Sometimes a tall lunar mountain's top will be illuminated seemingly too far into the dark side.

Several moons ago, I climbed a mountain with friends at night in the Sierra Nevada at summit (10K+) and as the sun came up in the very early morning we watched the shadow of the mountain appear across the Sacramento valley fog for a hundred miles at least. Such happens commonly when a small prominence is oblique to the light source, and in this case the Sun. The more oblique or at 90 degrees from the light source the prominence is, the longer the shadow. If on a spherical base and at 90 degrees the shadow will be infinite. So, if there is in this case a wide sea of the moon, a relatively flat plane, as the shadow crawls toward a terminal angle it will seem to be very exaggerated. Put a wet grain of salt on a ping pong ball and rotate it in a very dark environment with a very bright (Halogen type) light source and see how long you can make the shadow. A larger smooth surface will suffice if available.

We illustrators routinely model physical reality to test the reality of such things. Like how a moon shadow can look on a planet. Now I do it in 3D, but any sufficiently outfitted home can provide good materials and conditions.

As an illustrator I can tell you that these things are not anomalous to observers of such subjects. I've illustrated countless planets and moons and studied such imaging from NASA and JPL that are quite common.

Now to be fair, I have seen anomalous features I could not explain, but I'll bet if you go to Google Moon or look at a good map of the Moon with elevational data you will see that these are features known, mapped and normal features in normal conditions.

You might be advised to reference a map and research this to the extent of available knowledge before posting. You have a nice set up with cam and video, but where are your maps and astronomical reference materials?

All good reporters and investigators check their story for holes before publishing. A better title if you could not find reference for this would be "Is this an odd shadow that looks like a tower?", and give the ATS Collective Investigation Team a new fun project!

(ATS-C-IT) ATS Collective Investigation Team

Collective awareness and intelligence WORKS!

ZG

[edit on 5/11/2009 by ZeroGhost]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
some footage i took (and hey, how do you ad a embed code fore flashplayers?)

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Great post OP.

Nice photos and video is really good!!

Next time you are busy on your telescope and your girlfriend gets cold...send her over here....loads of warmth here!!

Waiting for the next post.....soon I hope!!

Keep up the good work!!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Great work intuos.
I should have known you where on this. I studied a lunar map for a half an hour before I found your research here.

I was going to break out my 3DS moon model, and simulate the effects, but have better reference with your post now.

Here is the Map I was using. It's a heavy download, but a good map for reference and you can use it live, (after you load the 300 meg file into memory).

Are you for hire?
I could use your research acumen in some investigations. (I am a volunteer actually but get interesting stuff anyway). You are way faster than me. You must sit on this site.

Always great information from you.

ZG

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Ok, so you guys seem to be in the know, so I'm gonna cross something over from another thread (I know, it's bad of me). Is it possible for anyone (Kdial) to look at this?

Thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Specifically:
Tsiolkovsky Crater Anomaly's

The pictures on here look pretty interesting - I'm just a layman, but comparing the sets from that thread to those on here, kudos Kdial - yours are much better and clearer. I'm guessing that as the areas shown are on the light side of the moon, then they would be visible via telescope?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Excellent post Kdial! I don't think there's any more to this than exaggerated shadows due to the proximity of the object to the terminator (the line between day and night), but your pictures are terrific!

You don't have a particularly large telescope, although Vixen 'scopes are very good quality. You should be very proud of those photo's - it's not easy to get good photo's of the moon as the moon through a telescope is dazzlingly bright. Did you use a filter?

What you seem to have done here is generate a lot of interest in amateur astronomy - well done! Hopefully, you'll submit more pictures.

A magazine I subscribe to is Astronomy Now, if you're not familiar with it here's their website. Astronomy Now

Starred and Flagged!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
cool pics, unfortunately the good stuff is on the dark side

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
yeah you should defenently circle it cuz maybe im an idiot but I have no clue what your talkin bout man.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
amazing, great pic!!!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter.be
some footage i took (and hey, how do you ad a embed code fore flashplayers?)

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Interesting thread thanks OP..

I stumbled on this site which has details of a soon to be released movie called MOON starring Sam Rockwell.. hopefully be of interest to a lot of dudes around here

moon-trailer.blogspot.com...

regards

Berth

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Reply to post by jokei

Hey jokei, I will check that out for you as soon as I get back to the states.

-kdial1

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Wow, those are the best pics of the moon outside of NASA that I have ever seen.
I can't believe you're getting these clear images from the ground. Excellent work.
You, my friend, have got some choice gear right there.
Towers on the moon? I doubt it.
Long shadows or oddly shaped rocks? Most likely.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
Ok, so you guys seem to be in the know, so I'm gonna cross something over from another thread (I know, it's bad of me). Is it possible for anyone (Kdial) to look at this?

Thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Specifically:
Tsiolkovsky Crater Anomaly's

The pictures on here look pretty interesting - I'm just a layman, but comparing the sets from that thread to those on here, kudos Kdial - yours are much better and clearer. I'm guessing that as the areas shown are on the light side of the moon, then they would be visible via telescope?

Loved the t shaped building when you zoom in on pics like that you get artifacts try for yourself load a picture in a paint program paint/photoshop whatever zoom in as far as you can you end up with magnified pixels these guys watch to much CSI thats the problem!

Links to show you both.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.doc.ic.ac.uk...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
thanks for the great pics

they really do look like towers!

S+F

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Pretty much that was my line of thinking... here we are on a really balanced, well-argued thread, with people making "nice" contributions...

I'd like to see this kind of attitude carried over to other threads - this one has really struck me: we have someone presenting good quality, interesting pictures and posing a question about what they might be, as opposed to stating/implying that they ARE evidence of "x" and there's a slew of decent well thought out responses that aren't derogatory or inflammatory - great - this is what ATS should be.

With this kind of attitude and work maybe other moon anomalies can be studied and learnt from?

Kudos to all - aside from me, as I'm just encouraging others to do the work for me.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Here's a higher resolution image of the same area as the OP photo. I've annotated some of the features so you can get a better apppreciation of scale. The largest craters seen here are around 50 miles across. You can see the two peaks Pico and Piton jutting up above the lava plane of the Mare Imbrium. It's possible that these peaks are just the tops of a wider mountain range that was flooded by vulcanism. Notice the relative shadow lengths. Piton is somewhat lower than Pico, yet has a much longer shadow. As already noted, this is because Piton is located on the terminator in this particular photo.

I have a Meade Schmidt-Cassegrain, but I didn't take this shot. It's from a book. Here's my set up.

To produce a high res image like this one, I'd use a CCD camera to take a video of the Moon. I'd then select the best 500 frames and then stack them using Registax. This creates a single superb image from all the more blurry ones.

WG3

[edit on 17-5-2009 by waveguide3]

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join