It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are allnewsweb.com hurting the credibility of ufology?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

MOD NOTE: ALL ANW material or any site that uses ANW as a source will be trashed

In the last few weeks/months the website www.--.com... have had many articles posted here at ATS, mostly concerning the alien/UFO subject.

I've noticed a couple of trends popping up, the first is plagiarizing ATS content.

An example can be found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In short an ATS member translated a video that was in the original -- article. Not long after, the translation was added to the article word for word with no acknowledgment to ATS whatsoever.

The second trend I have noticed is the questionable content being posted.

I understand the statement "What's one persons trash is anothers treasure"

But a line needs to be drawn, IMHO -- are too keen to post up anything without enough of their own investigation.

An example of this here:

Another questionable thread can be found here:

Please read all the threads I've posted, none are very long but hopefully will paint a picture as to what I'm getting at.

Should we take -- with a grain of salt like we do with pravda.ru etc?

[edit on 10/5/09 by Chadwickus]
edit on December 27th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yes, this is not very good ...

There are a couple of members who are clearly pushing -- "articles" on ATS in order to promote traffic over there. The trend is clear as they post pretty much everything that's UFO related from that site without thought or scrutiny as to the content's legitimacy.

I do believe however that in the long term the joke's on them. After a while most ATS members will realize the garbage that comes from there and will avoid that site like the plague, just as we do with many others, generating the standard response "this is from --, nough said!"

It is unfortunate really because if they actually put some effort into it and didn't publish useless information they could have been a welcome source of UFO news ...

... they didn't so it isn't.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Obviously I am one of these posters....but I will no longer be putting anything from Allnewsweb here and frankly they don't need me to do so-it is really immaterial to them but I thought their stories might be of interest.

Shrodigers dog.....go analyze the stories coming from there and you will see that the garbage to good story is about. 2 good stories to 1 bad one.

Ironic that the OP mentions that translation becuase the Greek story was very big and ANW went on to provide the details to many MSM outlets-that story would have never ever come to anyone's (here) attention if not for -- so a bit petty with critising them for the translation (considering the guy that did was OK with it-I pm'd him after I sent it to ANW).

Many, many other of their stories are big news in other countries-but if you choose not to at least know what they are as they happen fine........like I care. As if any UFO centric news channel doesnt include a large number of BS -its the nature of the game

BUT MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE............ANW has contacts in department's that many here would give an arm and a leg to have.....and a small number of their stories HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED AS ALIEN CRAFT BY THE HIGHEST AUTHORITIES AND ORGANISATIONS and I know that for fact-I am not willing to say much more about this but I wouldnt write of ANW-they know more than they give away. Ironically despite the BS stories they may well be the most 'in the loop' news group there is...but that doesnt translate into daily stories which admitedly they do need to support their 'bigger picture' investigations.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by stewartw2]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by stewartw2
Ironic that the OP mentions that translation becuase the Greek story was very big and ANW went on to provide the details to many MSM outlets-that story would have never ever come to anyone's (here) attention if not for -- so a bit petty with critising them for the translation (considering the guy that did was OK with it-I pm'd him after I sent it to ANW).

Herm ... I'm the "guy" that did the Greek translation and I don't remember getting a pm from you, that said I may have forgotten. I did however post later on that thread that I didn't care that they used it without permission.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by stewartw2

Don't take it personally.

This thread isn't directed towards you so I don't see why you're taking such an exception to what is being said.

Maybe ANW should concern themselves with quality not quantity, especially if what you say is true and they have so many contacts in the know.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   

I am pretty sure I did PM and that was what you said , something like 'whatever.....inm cool' or the like.

Anyway I for one wont be posting anymore stories here-you can go on with betty and barney hill and reptilians to your hearts content..if you don't want to know the UFO stories making the news its OK by me.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I am not taking it personally but clearly I have been one of these posters and I am just defending my actions while happily stating that I won't post anymore from that website.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Mate, what you choose to post is up to you and what they choose to publish is up to them.

I'm just letting you know what will happen to their credibility and to those that dogmatically post their stories on ATS without scrutiny that's all.

It's cry wolf thing.

Edit: And btw if you/they need me to I'm still happy to help translating for nothing as I speak four languages. It's not a personal thing.

[edit on 10 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Yes ufology should be alert for the people that cry wolf.

Even when liars tell the truth, they are never believed. The liar will lie once, twice, and then perish when he tells the truth.

Save your frightened song for when there is really something wrong.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
STAR

I'm a firm believer in "THEM" visiting the Earth both presently and in our distant past. So I take every report seriously but they also need to be taken with a grain of salt. Debunked or set into the ever growing folder "Unknown"

They are seriously degrading the field of research that has become the butt of jokes do to exactly their type of crap!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
On the one hand it's always interesting to see such info, even if it's from ANW.
On the other hand if 99% of what we get from ANW is blatant BS then as SD said, we will end up pretty well ignoring everything from that source.
At least we get a few pictures & videos to consider from ANW, which is more than can be said for the rash of bizzarre reptilian storytelling threads that are popping up so much lately.
The thing that disapoints me the most is the rabid will of some to believe what is in the ANW articles, despite all logical argument to the contrary.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Sam60

I think you will discover the ratio is more like 33% bad to 66% credible-take the alleged UFO crash in Chegdu they reported two weeks ago, that is currently making the news all over China (you can check).

Or the Japanese UFO crash-well that's as real as Roswell.

Or the greek incident or revealing that Chengdu is China's area 51

Surely even that stuff is worth sifting through other dubious stories??

I wouldnt throw out the baby with the bathwater.......

And one recent story has been confirmed as an alien craft although I cannot reveal which one at this stage.

There is a certain irony here-perhaps its your paradigm that needs shifting-All News Web has more info than you might ever believe and possibly more than any other UFO site-I could prove that but it is not possible at this stage.

AND LIKE YOU SAID IT BEATS THE REPTILIAN THREADS

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Well if you keep posting them, I'll keep having a look at them!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
To be fair....every site, this one included, has hoaxes and BS stories popping up quite frequently.
You have to sift through them to find any little nuggets of truth.
All the site rehash the same stories and you can guarantee that if it's on ATS, it will be on ANW, GLP, OM, and any other forums too.

It's just that we (ATS) are a little better at seperating fact from fiction and the wheat from the chaff.
And the staff and owners have a strong dislike for hoaxing....which i applaud and perhaps some of the other sites let slide.

My 2p

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Fair enough, look I don't want to give away to much and ANW wouldnt want me to. Those attacking that site are doing a disservice to Ufology-basically the fragmented nature of UFO events means it is very hard to verify an event PRIOR TO PUBLICATION

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

And the thread just a few below:

...that newspaper got the story from ANW (100% certain of that) depsite being the local Bendigo paper and that made into the 'Sun-Herald'

www.--.com...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I've noticed this site taking a few digs over the past few weeks, and to be honest, apart from some uncredited articles and information, it really isn't as bad as a lot of others I have seen over the years, if people have a problem with their articles or information being Plagiarised, then surely that is the problem of the person who originally posted it and the Admin of that site and on ATS if they have an issue anything?

I've noticed it tries to steer away from the repetitive stories which pop up over and over again, like has been mentioned the Betty and Barney hill story, that is fair enough because the story has been beaten to death, and with no new information I don't understand the constant resurfacing, the same with the Rendlesham forest incident, that used to be one of my all time favourites, but again it has been beaten to death so much I cringe at the possibility that someone else has decided to take a pop at it, the whole incident was turned into a joke once the credibility of the witnesses was questioned by some not so credible people themselves, that is just annoying, some of those people wouldn't know respect if it smacked them in the mouth covered in skunk spray, and there is a tendency by some, who believe the whole UFO Phenomenon is an American only Phenomenon, that has been brought up before, I know it has, but it is only a very few people who do that. (so very wrong)

I am also starting to think this whole ANW is becoming more personal than concern for the World of Ufology, you can see it if you go through the threads, but that is just my opinion, sure others have noticed.

However not being of the sheep kind, I shall make up my own mind, and so far all I have seen is a whole bunch of complaining, if your words have been stolen (LOL) then go see a lawyer, don't do what you accuse that site of doing yourself, making Ufology look even worse.

People will make of that site what they will, I'm sure they are big enough to decide for themselves, The stories posted here, are a long long way from being the worst I've seen here.

Funny thing is, I have never visited that site before reading this thread, I 'm sure I will visit again.

azz,

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I agree there has been some questionable content on that site, I just think anyone who posts information from there might want to use some cross-referencing techniques. What concerns me is the large number of known hoax stories that the site puts out without bringing the hoax part to attention. I have never heard of the site before around a month ago when a large influx of articles from there came to ATS. I definitely think they should perform more research to avoid smearing the Ufology community, intentional or not.

[edit on 5/10/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I’ve been to both sites over time what I see is, it’s all the same. Same stories, same news, only thing different is the layout. What’s the difference where material comes from as long as it can be verified and PROVEN? You guys actually think all the ATS threads are "solid" material? I look at both sites as though they are the national enquirer, we know its all bull#, but sometimes one true story does make, only to be spun into the mix, and loses any credibility it may have carried. Great places to come use your imagination and blow off steam.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
i have a feeling this site is going to be proved wrong later if not now.
how come its the only site that has the news it produces, and many of them are outstanding and bizarre. welcome to the tabloids of the internetz

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join