It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Rambo' gunman 'ready to die' in New Zealand, Napier siege

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

'Rambo' gunman 'ready to die' in New Zealand, Napier siege

www.news.com.au

A TANK has been called in as police try to end a siege that has brought a New Zealand city to a virtual standstill and left an officer lying dead for over a day outside a suburban house.

The gunman has been holed up in the property in the normally quiet North Island town of Napier since a low-key cannabis raid by police ended in a hail of gunfire yesterday morning (AEST).
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nzherald.co.nz

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Senior Constable Len Snee, 53, was gunned down and police have been unable to retrieve his body , which lies next to his police car, for over 24-hours because it is the line of fire from the house.

A police dog was also shot dead, with two other officers seriously wounded and in hospital.

A neighbour who was apparently known to the suspected shooter, Jan Molenaar, was also hit.

What get's me is these officers who went on this raid were unarmed!

It seems they didn't expect a volatile situation but honestly it doesn't take much to carry a handgun or taser, it could have saved Senior Constable Len Snee's life.

The additional link has up to the minute updates on what's going on.

Let's hope they just drive the tank through his front door.

www.news.com.au

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Friends of Mr Molenaar told the Dominion Post newspaper he had been a territorial soldier attached to the armoured corps from 1982-88.

They described him as a "one-man army" and a "nightmare waiting to happen".

"The guy is a total Rambo, OK? I've never met another person that's fitter than him," said a man described as his business partner.

"He's a very good marksman, he's just the wrong person.

"Wrong person, wrong place, wrong time, the police should have f**king known. That's their business."

Very strange. Makes you wonder what set this guy off.
It says in the story that he said goodbye to his partner and had a cry, so it couldn't be relationship problems.

Wonder though if this is a psyop to get New Zealand guns confiscated?
Seems to be a common theme.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Maybe he's a conspiracy theorist who decided the end was nigh, and wanted to take out as many cops as possible as he went. Could happen.

+10 more 
posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
And the nightmare that is the global drug war rides on.

Legalize it.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Senior Constable Len Snee, 53, was gunned down and police have been unable to retrieve his body , which lies next to his police car, for over 24-hours because it is the line of fire from the house.

A police dog was also shot dead, with two other officers seriously wounded and in hospital.

A neighbour who was apparently known to the suspected shooter, Jan Molenaar, was also hit.

What get's me is these officers who went on this raid were unarmed!

It seems they didn't expect a volatile situation but honestly it doesn't take much to carry a handgun or taser, it could have saved Senior Constable Len Snee's life.

The additional link has up to the minute updates on what's going on.

Let's hope they just drive the tank through his front door.

www.news.com.au

If they had tasered him then there would be a thread on here saying how the police are out of control.

They should use the tank to its maximum capabilities. Launch round after round until they run our of shells or until nobody will be able to tell what was standing there.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Who ever the police chief was, he should have been bitch slapped in public, why on earth would you allow a raid with police being unarmed....

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It could be another Martin Bryant situation (i.e. a means of disarming a nation) but it would be a bit of a stretch to imagine it happening over a single death... be it a policeman or regular civilian.

I'm not so sure that the issue would be as much about guns as it should be about military personnel (trained killers) and the military's ability to keep tags on their own people.

IRM

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
A tank? I hope they drive the thing into the house so the snipers can take him out.

This sorta thing is getting more common in New Zealand

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
But the nation is hardly armed. I don't buy the disarming-a-nation idea. The subject hasn't even been in the media.

IMHO "tank" is a bit of an overstatement; it's a LAV with a 25mm cannon...but that's unnecessarily splitting hairs.

[edit on 8/5/09 by Fuggle]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by milesp
And the nightmare that is the global drug war rides on.

Legalize it.

Maybe this guy has a touch of reefer madness. Deffo not good for the "Legalize it" movement.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
Who ever the police chief was, he should have been bitch slapped in public, why on earth would you allow a raid with police being unarmed....

The New Zealand don't carry guns such things are left up to the armed Offenders Squad .

reply to post by Flighty

Well I guess there always has to be one such claim on a thread like this one . Gun ownership isnt wide spread enough in New Zealand for the idea to hold any ground .

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Yea, they reap what they sow. They trained him to kill, and now he shalt kill... a lot.

Maybe he didn't want to live in a world where the powers that be decide what you smoke or ingest so he would rather be dead than to live as a slave under the jackboots of the king's law.

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, though it will probably in the future.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I know. It's just ganny-boo, for Pete's sake. If the stuff were legalised, then the police could deal with the P menace, among other things.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fuggle
But the nation is hardly armed. I don't buy the disarming-a-nation idea. The subject hasn't even been in the media.

IMHO "tank" is a bit of an overstatement; it's a LAV with a 25mm cannon...but that's unnecessarily splitting hairs.

I was curious about the gun culture in New Zealand, I would assume it would be similar to here in Australia.

I'm suprised they haven't stormed the house yet, there are no hostages to worry about and the guy doesn't sound like he's planning on giving up anytime soon.

Also, I agree calling the LAV a tank is a bit of an over statement. I'm wondering if they're planning on using it to retrieve the body on the front lawn.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Because it is the law here in NZ that police are unarmed. I think it will change soon, and I hope so. Our police have a lot of problems including gangs and drugs and they should be armed at all times.

The guy leading this is tired and bereaved. I have just seen him being interviewed. Please have some compassion.

A close frined of the gunman said he is not a Rambo-like character, and that it will probably end with him committing suicide. He said he was going to have a drink with his brother, Joe, who committed suicide a few years ago.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This is lame,i can't believe they left a body out for 24 hours,this kinda thing should take three hours max to incapacitate the guman, too long and it's a big fail.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
The army and tanks are in there big time.

We are waiting for the end.

That policeman should not have been sacrificed. Blame the government, who never have to face up to anything.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

I've got a couple of friends who are police and I used to work for the police; I like police (at least in this country...never been to, say, Argentina).

That said, I don't know that I want them to holster sidearms as a regular practice. I _don't_ want the damned gangs upping their antes. At least not until the courts are ready to properly deal with them and other dangerous criminals.

As for this guy that the thread's about...well, crap. I find the situation depressing and saddening.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Okiminletsdoit!

Can you believe the bravery of the people who went in and got the body?

It is absolutely awe-inspiring.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join