It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I was on the net some time when I had some money from 1998

From 2001 I started working at the company I�m still whiff on a nice T1 connection, and all that bad stuff like mp3�s and hacking and more is filtered so that�s all that sucks, hade a pc that a could bypass the firewalls but thy gave us thinclients so we are working all from one server nothing like HD�s floppy�s or that stuff gust a screen keyboard and mouse and the thinclient, so it sucks at this point.

Cant install nodda�

Boo to Compaq Evo T20 me dont like...

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
In 1994 I was corrupted on Aol 1.0, it sucked they charged by the minute, so it was on and off every few weeks for like maybe 5 to 10 minutes at a time.
In late 1995 (I think) the public library had unlimited
Internet usage and that rocked! That was when I was a
regular doing research on Wicca and BASIC programming. Does anyone know when Internet 2
will become publicily accessable? I know that there is a
node where I am at, but it's reserved for the
researchers and professors for now.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Just recently. In the early months of 2004. I am using the internet daily because I have a hunger for information

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Got the internet six years ago for the first time; mid-1998.

At first I only used it for about ten minutes a day, with no real need for it.

Uh, yeah.

Now it's happily devoured my soul. I probably use it upwards of four hours per day. I am also a full time student and gainfully employed.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
i think it was 1996 i started to get on the internet and was playing this old ass mmorpg made by sierra. i think codemasters owns it now. i think its still going.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I started really using it in '96.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
93-94here, about 10 years.

before that BBS systems and other stuff.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I started using back when I was about 3-5, so probably (guessing here), 1992-1993 (maybe 1991).

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I spent, no joke, probably two years of my life, between sleeping and eating, playing text-based SIMS and RPGs.

Needless to say, I never got into graphic-driven computer games.

I'm still a junkie for Trek (Star, that is) text-SIMs with other people.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by worshipthemoon
I started using the internet on an almost daily basis in 1996. I've had a computer in my house since the 80's. I had my own Atari in elementary school.

That's exactly my story!!! Although I had an Atari before elementary school....

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Two days before I joined ATS. Seriously.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Hmmm... You probably have the record of fastest to find ATS, Kegs...

I remember about ten to twelve years ago (I was 12 to 14) that I used to go on bbs servers (then with my dad, because the modem was slow and it wasn't cheap to stay connected for long)

The modem was a measly 14.4, but we used to get connected at 12...

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by TheBandit795]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I've had the internet since 95-96. 96 would have been when I began using it more frequently and coincidentally when I got hooked on sites like this one.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Some friends gave me a computor for my 40th birthday....telling me I would LOVE it, and should learn to get on some internet dating sites....

But the paranormal does call to me.......even IF I cant type and must look at the keyboard, I am trying hard.....but think I need a class or something........

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Me too. I had to learn right away hahaha. And it started at 2 to more hours at a time. Gradually I got bored with it and never came back until around 2003. Hehe

My! Are not these folks here at ATS very similar to one another. Daern, didn't I hear some other website say the same thing and so far as to think they are the best? Yes. Better than anyone else. They went so faaaaaaaaaaaar as to say they were the only website in the entire universe that got along with one another. Hm. Strange.

Yea. I like the computer. I don't LOVE it.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I think the first time I ever used the internet was back in 95-96 on school computers.

I got myself a p1 166 MHz ( Doom/Doom2
) without internet in 97 and I pestered the hell outa my dad to get the internet but being the paranoid guy he is he never let me have it.

Fast forward to fall 2002. I saved a month and a half's pay from my greasy job at McDonald's and bought myself my current machine (P4 2.4GHz
) and got myself a seperate phone line and unlimited dial-up internet acces (No DSL here) . Ah the fun I had getting the phone wire from the basement up to my second floor room. Lucky for me the chimney passes trough my room and there is about an inch between the actual chimney and the wall that covers it. I had so much fun trying to get that dam wire all the way down, took me a whole afternoon.
I soon discovered online gamming (Warcraft 2), emails, and chating. Within a month or two I discovered ATS but didn't notice the forums, it wasn't as obvious back then on the main page. In the Spring or 2003 I discovered forums! The first one I joined and still am member of is Sanangeles.net, a mod community that was working on a total conversion mod for Vice City called San Angeles(They where gonna call it San Andreas but R* made them change the name because they intended to use it and have now made it!!!). They now go by the name of International House Of Evil Doings (long story) and are working on the EOS project which is a game they are creating.

When I went off to university last fall I got myself DSL over there and joined ATS in January. When I came back for summer last month DSL still wasn't availible here so I got Cable. I had to go trough the same ordeal to get the Cable TV cable up to my room that I went trough with the phone wire.

Now I'm so hooked to the internet I salvaged an old computer (P1 133MHz) out of someone's trash about 2 weeks ago. It is networked with my main machine and serves 3 purposes.

1. SETI@home cruncher

2. allows my brother to go online and leave me alone instead of having him sit next to me for hours and hours whaiting for me to get up so he can use my computer to go online. ...I guess he's as hooked as me!!!

3. When I play games on my main machine, the salvaged one allows me to use MSN Messenger, that way I don't miss my friends when they come online!!!

Both machines are positioned in a way that I can use them from my bed
Both machines are on at all times, I've goten so used to the sound of computer fans that its wierd for me to try to sleep without them on the few rare occasions I did turn them off. The only time it doesn't bother me is when I have a chick in my bed (or am in her's)
wonder why.... ....guess I'm not a total geek after all

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by Ranger]

<< 1   >>

join