It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montana Governor Signs New Gun Law

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The 2nd amendment is an antiquated law meant for another time and place and has no reason whatsoever to still be a part of the constitution. Why does anyone need a gun anyway when we have police and federal troops to protect us? And if you need meat then go to a super market and buy it like normal people do. I for one cannot wait for them to start confiscating every single gun in America. I have a nutty neighbor who actually buried a couple of guns with some food, water and warm clothing for his wife and kid. Can you believe that? And when the Feds show up at my house looking for guns or whatever else they have a right confiscate and hopefully it will happen soon, then I fully intend to show them where my misguided neighbor buried that stuff so he can hopefully get the mental help he so desperatley needs.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
this is great, we need more states to do this now, atleast
in my own oppinion.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnny_Sokko

Well, that coming from the son of a terrorist, I am not surprised.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kenton1234

Obvious troll is WAY too obvious!

Go troll somewhere else "nub"

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Wow, Kenton.....just wow. I don't really know how else to respond to your post, except to say that I hope your neighbor doesn't catch wind of your post. You just may find yourself buried next to his weapons.

If you don't believe in the 2nd amendment, that's cool. Foolish, in my opinion, but you have the right to say and feel what you want. Wait a minute.... no you don't. How dare you come to this web site and freely express your thoughts and opinions!! You are absolutely crazy for doing such a thing and I'm telling!

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Yer I remember when in Australia they took our guns, you will have no hope of ever getting them back once there gone!

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well I just wrote Creighton, a member of the house down here in Texas. He's the author of HCR 50 (state sovereignty) and asked him to look into a bill similar to the one Montana passed. Hopefully he gets the ball rolling on it.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by XTexan]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

It has already passed out of committee with a 5-0 vote. HB 1863 I hope you will encourage you Rep to vote YEA. I just sent Jim Keffer (our Rep) and email and will be encouraging everyone I know to do the same.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Alaska is on board with their own version.

housemajority.org...

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

How do the police and soldiers protect you from a rapist who's already broken into your house? Do you really think they can get all the way from the station to your house before he can get from your door to your daughter's bedroom?

Remember fool, when seconds count the police are just minutes away.

And how will the police and soldiers protect you if the police and soldiers ever become the threat?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
As much as I read peoples posts I fail to see anything other than people defending the ownership of a gun. But this is not what this bill is about, but about dealing with the waiting period and background check of potential buyers.

Please enlighten me why waiting between two days and three weeks is unfair to get a gun. If you can't wait that long to have a gun then you shouldn't have one.

PEOPLE SHOULD BE ALLOWED GUNS. But there is nothing wrong in waiting.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Agrilid

Does the constitution say the right to bear arms after one week, or a month, or 90 days?

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
How many stats are doing something like this now??

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by omnifiction

Montana, Utah, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Idaho, Alaska, and Arkansas(?) . . .

Waiting on Vermont, Colorado, Wyoming, Georgia, Virginia, West Virginia, and a few others . . .

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
As far as I know, New Mexico isn't on board. I"ll give my state rep a call, and see if I can get the ball rolling.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Dude, you cant be serious....You seem to be a troll, with the new acct, and SN that seems to be a little too generic.

But really, would you care to elaborate on just how the 2nd amendment has become antiquated in todays culture and society? Id also like to know when you think the right to free speech should be amended too, everyone knows only rich, educated people should be allowed to fully express there opinions.... Either way, thanks for playing, come back next week!

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
psssst

Don;t feed the trolls

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Nice, I just wrote Miklos (my rep) and let him know to support HB 1863. When you say that it passed committee, what exactly does that mean? Whats next for it? I can see that a report was sent to calendars... whats that mean?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CepheidVariable
OK, I'll go ahead & be the pariah of this thread... OK I'm a city kid who simply does not understand this cultural imperative & reverence of gun-ownership. Now, I'm not interested in taking away anyone's rights to own guns (AT ALL) but I just don't understand the fixation.. it seems like an adolescent hold-over that some people never grow out of. I guess most people (not all) who are REALLY INTO THEIR GUNS are living in a local culture that as a whole, never grows out of it either, so it's easier to maintain the collective fixation?

Personally I see guns as nothing more than a tool.. essentially a tool that makes killing things a lot easier.. or the threat of killing easier & so therefor a good defensive/intimidation tool (I'm discounting hunting weapons, as that seems to be a minority of the type of guns most people love to own).. but frankly those who need it to truly defend themselves tend to live in a city & most city dwellers don't really care about guns.

The whole idea that having guns is somehow going to scare the government from 'coming to get you' is a cultural vestige & frankly seems silly.. the days of David Koresch-style take downs is SO last century.. if they want to take you down (like seriously NWO style take-down) they will just point a red laser-dot on your roof & you go bye-bye.. people don't need to be involved anymore, other than the people who remotely control the unmanned drones..

I know this will seem elitist esp. to this crowd, but again, it just comes across to me that this is an adolescent fixation with things that go 'POP!' & gives the illusion of power to those who wield said 'power'.. & on a more archetypal, subconscious level, it seems like something that is meant to make other people think you have a bigger penis.. there, I said it. (I'm SORRY!) Same as the what makes the jerk on the road blow past another driver even though he is not in any real hurry, & innumerable other similar acts & 'trophies' of juiced-up manhood.

Basically, again, I just don't get it.

I should say, I live in St Louis, very high on the dangerous-crime list nationally.. & I love to party downtown until the late hours & luckily NEVER been mugged or even intimidated. But again, most city-dwellers (not all) aren't really 'into' guns. Seems like more a rural phenomenon, where hold-ups & muggings don't tend to be that common.

That being said, I have NO PROBLEM with you having your guns, & talking about your guns, & showing off your guns, & posing with your guns, et al.

To me it's just an alien culture that holds no appeal to me.. though I'm totally interested in hearing a real explanation as to why gun ownership is so important. Again, considering that your gun collection will most likely not even slightly intimidate a truly military force that may, for whatever reason, want to 'take you down'.

Frankly I just find it fascinating, similar to the fascination I feel for other cultures that baffle me. Except this one is in my own backyard!

You seem like you're at least trying to be open-minded about this topic and I understand your failure to understand the "gun thing", so I want to recommend you read a book written by a old-school liberal. I can't recall his name, but the book is "Unintended Consequences". It takes place in and around your back yard for the most part and goes to great lengths to explain to you, the reader, the phenomenon of the Gun Culture in America. I do believe it would suit you in many ways to read this piece of literature. Thank you for not taking it to the level of insult, though I must iterate to you that it's not a matter of not growing up or of some kind of juvenile indulgence that members of this very American culture arm themselves. Quite the opposite, actually. Packing heat is the very essence of acting morally, with the weight of responsibility that can only be experienced by someone like a law enforcement officer or military.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
If someone who has a different opinion than others makes them a troll then so be it. The 2nd amendment was put into our constitution back in the days when guns were needed for hunting and protection. Those days are long gone now. Today we have supermarkets. So the need for hunting and growing food for ourselves is just not necessary. And today we have a lot more police officers and federal troops, when needed, to protect us against the evildoers. So guns for personal protection is just plain silly. Now I know that sometimes a police officer can cross the line and misbehave and on rare occasions even break the law themselves but hey we all have bad days lets give em a break. Sometimes you have to go fast to catch a speeder.
Oh and as far as the 10th amendment goes. Just cut off all funding, electricity, food, water and fuel supplies for a couple of months and that kind of thinking will go out the door in no time. Sovereignty indeed.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join