It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Siren Just Scared me into reality!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I was just sitting on my couch reading a thread and I heard a terrifying noise. An air siren was going off. I thought it was the TV so I muted it, but it was coming from outside.. I can't find any info on a test in my area (Scranton PA) so I have no idea whats going on..

Now for the real problem.. As soon as I heard it, my heart dropped and my first though was to go get my son. Problem was, I had no idea where to go from there!! I live in a 3 room apartment that is an extension on a regular single family home.. If the event arises where I need to hide from something, where should I go??? I have all kinds of supplies stocked up, but I never thought of where I can go to take shelter.. Its really sad and embarrassing for me, but I figure now is a better time to ask then any.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Don't feel bad about it. Most people who don't live in areas with regular threats don't really 'get it' until they actually hear that sound. If you live in a tornado prone area or near a petroleum or nuclear plant where they have sirens then you catch on much earlier. Just be happy that you have caught on to something useful and revise your plans so you are ready in the future.
It's a learning game.

Edit for spelling.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Dont they normally use these things as tornado warnings and the like, you should of probably hid in the cellar or bath tub or something, i dont know really, in Australia they use them for alerting the local volunteer fire brigade, at least where i was anyway.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Yeah, it really did hit me in the chest when I heard that. I've lived in big cities my whole life, and thats not something you hear where I'm from.. Ever. I don't ever want to hear that again, but if I do, I want to know where to go.. I couldn't believe I didn't know where I should go!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
Dont they normally use these things as tornado warnings and the like, you should of probably hid in the cellar or bath tub or something, i dont know really, in Australia they use them for alerting the local volunteer fire brigade, at least where i was anyway.

Thanks. Thats my problem though, I don't have a tub. I have a stand up shower, that would do nothing for us. The cellar is in the landlords apartment, which would not stop me from getting in there if I had to. Problem is that its poorly built and has a big vent that leads to outside. I'm starting to think its time to move

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I was just chatting with a guy from Ohio, it seems they had tornado warnings not long ago, i think that what it was. Just hope all is ok and fine, if you hear it again best get ready.

edit: Nah dont move, im sure in times of need he will let you down there, unfortunately i cant give advice as i have never lived in a tornado zone, but even a door frame might be safe.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by pazcat]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Check out where you can go underground. some Goverment buildings have underground sections. London theres a whole network of underground tunnels linking up parliment. And my local hospital theres a full underground system. You will be surprised how many lower than ground level places there are,.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

Have you found out why the siren went off in the first place? The only thing that my town uses them for is tornado warnings, but we also know if they go off with no tornado then something is wrong and we are supposed to turn to our local channel. You need to find out what the protocol is when the siren goes off in your town.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
It's good to have a plan in the event of an emergency, so you now know to figure something out before this happens again. That said,

If you are not used to hearing those warnings than your probably not in that great of a danger even if they do go off.

The warning sirens went off in my town today as well. They had issued a tornado warning and it was coming right at me. I grabbed my video camera and ran outside. I LOVE crap like that.

Turns out it was to the north of me so I didn't get to video a tornado. Darnit. Maybe tomorrow.

Still, lesson learned for you. Have a plan should the sirens go off again.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

If you are not used to hearing those warnings than your probably not in that great of a danger even if they do go off.

I would say the oppisite, if your not use to hearing the sirens when they do go off, you panic and dont know what to do especially if you do not have any plans.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
According to some rescue experts, a doorway is the worst place to be if the building collapses. While the doorframe is generally stronger, in a collapse it will scissor your body between those frames. Stairways are even more dangerous as they can literally explode in a collapse. The latest thinking I have heard on the subject is to get down next to something that will support the weight that might fall on you from above, and stay away from windows. Of course it depends on the scenario, using something like “the triangle of life” might protect you from a straight down collapse, but be more dangerous in something like a tornado where the object might be swept sideways and crush you. Without something along the lines of an actual emergency fallout shelter, or storm shelter, everything is going to be situation dependant.

Here is a site talking about the Triangle of Life

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101
reply to post by KaginD

Have you found out why the siren went off in the first place? The only thing that my town uses them for is tornado warnings, but we also know if they go off with no tornado then something is wrong and we are supposed to turn to our local channel. You need to find out what the protocol is when the siren goes off in your town.

Well, I live in Wilkes Barre, but I say Scranton because its more known. So the siren went off in Wilkes Barre. I've lived here for a year now and I have never heard it before. It was 3 long ones, so I'm hoping it was just a test. I can't find anything on Google about it though.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
If it was tornado related.,.
Doorways are good, it must be a doorway thats connected to main infrastructure of your house. After all if them walls are going to come down the whole house is coming down. Better to keep an eye on the weather and find the nearest underground facility / shelter.

But as a previous post stated it could be for other reasons i would say firstly turn on radio and news. You should have a plan for most situations, otherwise you will be the last to better your chances of survival if the worst occurs.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by theflashor]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Ok, enough about the doorways, that is old thinking:

4) Q: Where are the 15 deadliest places to be in an earthquake? (The places where most dead victims are recovered from or simply the most lethal.)
A:
1) Under an object that gets squashed (like a desk, car, bed)
2) Inside of an object that gets squashed (like a car)
3) On top of an object that gets squashed (like a bed or sofa)
4) Inside of an elevator
5) On stairs.
6) More than 10 ft away from the outside of a building and on the ground floor
7) In a brick building less than 10 ft from the outside wall.
8) In a doorway of a collapsed building.
10) On the ground floor of any building.
11) Under a carrying beam.
12) Under an object with a high center of gravity that fell over in the earthquake (like a fridge.
13) The middle decks of highway overpasses.
14) Places that catch fire after collapsing.
15) Places with toxins, chemicals and gases that collapse.

Yeah… I know it says earthquake, but it applies to any collapse where the doorway can scissor you between its frames.

[edit on 5/1/2009 by defcon5]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Where are the 15 deadliest places to be in an earthquake

Didnt know we was talking about earth quakes?

best to get outside if that happens. Free of structures that can collapse.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by KaginD

I'm hoping it was just a test. I can't find anything on Google about it though.

I would call your local police or fire department. They will probably know what it was for

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
if it was a test and they dont do them often, would there not be somthing in your local newspaper about it.

Check your local newspaper website,

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by theflashor

As I stated above…

Yeah… I know it says earthquake, but it applies to any collapse where the doorway can scissor you between its frames.

When a building collapses the doorframe tends to collapse sideways, and pinch people between the frames. It does not matter if the collapse was from an earthquake, a tornado, or an external explosion, it applies to any collapsing structure.

[edit on 5/1/2009 by defcon5]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
OP most of the time the old air raid sirens are used to warn people that a tornado has been spotted. Living in tornado alley i'm use to hearing those sirens hundreds of times a year.

If its a tornado, get to the cellar. If you can't get into or don't have a cellar then get into an interior room and take cover. STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS and exterior walls!!!! you would be surprised what a tornado can do with debris.

I was reading that you have access to a cellar but it has a vent to the outside, that is ok its still safer to be in the cellar than anywhere else in a house.

OP You need to find out what your city/county sounds their sirens for so you'll know in the future.

Here where i live they use to sound the sirens if a tornado warning was issued for the county i live in.

Then they switched to the city i live in would only sound the sirens if the city was under a warning. or if a thunderstorm was coming that had a history of 60+ mph winds.

Now the city only sounds the sirens if a tornado is on the ground or a wall cloud with rotation is tracking towards the city.

They also don't sound the sirens the entire time like they use to. now they only sound them for a few minutes then turn them off then turn them back on for a minute as an all clear signal.

So you really need to find out why they sound them in your area and if they leave them on until the threat clears or if they do like they do here.

And usually they only test them during the day, with good weather.

STAY AWAY FROM DOOR FRAMES GET UNDER A STURDY WORK BENCH IF YOU HAVE ONE in a tornado!

[edit on 5/1/2009 by Mercenary2007]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
yes, true it totally depends what the danger is for, im sure the sirens would be used in other curcumstances..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join