It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what happens when the WHO Declares a pandemic level 6?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So why we all sat around and waited for avian flu to become a issue H1N1 crept up and we find outselves at a Level 5 warning.

So what happens when we get to level 6?

Do we shut down? Suspend public gatherings? Hope that people simply segregate themselves away so the epidemic burns itself out? What?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
In my personal opinion the best thing to do right now is shut everything down for 7 to 14 days. People should stay home, schools should close and only people with dire emergencies should be out. I am scared noe because the flu has now hit my state. It was just on the 10:00pm news that a confirmed case has been found in Tennessee and Alabama. This thing is spreading like fire and the CDC says they expect deaths. At what point does the government say enough is enough. How many people have to become sick or die before they do issue a shut down? I do not want to send my daughter to school. Am I over reacting? Or do others feel the same way?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I expect many industries will be forced to shut down out of fear alone. It would also have a significant impact on our economy. An economy that we have already pumped trillions into as a recovery effort.

What happens when people are unable to work, have no income, and fall behind on their bills? Do you think the banks and other companies will be patient and understanding about not receiving their money?

Financially, it could become a living nightmare.

+67 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

What I am finding hard to swallow is that when the regular seasonal flu kills over 30 thousand people in the US alone I don't see the WHO pushing any pandemic around and neither the government pushing the dangerous anti viral tamiflu.

This reeks like agenda and we are all falling for it.

Something is not right with all the measurements and bills going on since this so call swain flu has been made into a media circus.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Something I'm studying you may wanna keep your eyes peeled for any F.E.M.A. people in your back yard that's what I'm gonna do. A lot of people say the government would help them I'm not so sure. Guess we'll just have to wait and see with open eyes and closed mouthes. Also isn't it
funny that they would give us such a high mortality rate for everyday flu and still tell us not to worry? This is the beginning of something bad you can feel it.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
That is a REALLY valid question. I like the keep rational, but every once in a while,I start to think; what if they declare something like Martial Law?; and then, there are over a million different tangents in which the scene could skew.

I keep chugging water and OJ in between my cigs and beer and im doing fine

[edit on 29-4-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Yeah, cigs and beer is an excellent remedy. Got plenty of cigs but I'm out of beer so drink some for me.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I agree with you both. This could cause a worse economical crisis, and that worries me as well. What else bothers me is the CDC saying they expect more deaths. What do they know that they are not telling us. How do they know there will be more deaths Is this virus becoming stronger as it passed around? I want answers, don't you guys. And yes the normal flu and TB and drugs and on and on do kill many every year but no one seems to get excited about that. This also makes me wonder what we are not being told. What do they know that they are not telling us? I think they know that this is going to bad or potentially bad. What do yall think?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Level 6 would probably mean all non essential business/industry will stop for a period of time, we'll probably see people all over the world wearing masks and gloves, store shelves might be bare due to certain imports or transportation holdups.. oh and schools would probably be closed..

btw... those are all just guesses, I have no idea what Phase/Level 6 really means for us....

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
From the WHO website:

Phase 6, the pandemic phase, is characterized by community level outbreaks in at least one other country in a different WHO region in addition to the criteria defined in Phase 5. Designation of this phase will indicate that a global pandemic is under way.

Based on the PMS website, the first 2 cases in my county have come and gone with only "mild flulike" symptoms observed in an old lady and an infant/toddler after they had visited family in Mexico.
Apparently, they medicated the rest of the family just to be cautious...not much more detail I can find about it, but there've been a couple more cases reported and I'm looking for the details now.

So far, from what I can gather, we Americans seem to be handling the virus just like any other flu. I am guessing the reason for alarm is because of how fast it is spreading and also the fact that this is a new strain for which we have no vaccine.

Personally, I am not that worried yet, but I am, of course, sad to read about people dying from it, but no more so than I am for people dying of the common flu.

I guess I'd just say use your own internal barometer and do what you feel like doing. Nobody can fault you for protecting the ones you love.

edit to add:
I would agree that we might see the kinds of social impact that Woldwatcher there mentioned as people respond to the hype.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by 4N6310]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
good question what does level 6 mean to us, a national stay home or die warning . to govt it gives them more power to take actions otherwise prohibited..gotta go i dont feel so good

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

They better not shut everything down, I've got stuff to do, I don't have time for their pretend pandemics and fear mongering. And yet this is how they do it, swaying the sheeple using the media to create fear over something that will likely be a relatively minor event.

If they get people afraid enough they will beg for a vaccine, or even beg for quarantine...

Methinks I smell a rat

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This may very well be a ploy by the government and the pharmaceutical companies to profit from a vaccine.Over on another forum they claimed that the W.H.O raised the pandemic level to "6" but it turned out to be false.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I have an extended family member that works at the Winnipeg virology lab/level 4 and he says that this is the real deal. He was sent to Toronto from Winnipeg today to help contain some of the outbreaks going on there. He called us last Saturday and told us to stock up on food and water that night. We took his advice. Things are going to get even crazier guys. Be prepared.

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
People have to realize this is a pandemic Level 5 about a flu virus. It is a flu, it has the symptoms of a flu, it requires bed rest and soup and orange juice like the flu, makes you call out sick from work or miss school for a few days like the flu, and eventually goes away like the flu.

The reason for the hullabaloo is because it is a flu virus that can be spread via human or animal, which makes it even easier to catch. How easy is it to catch? It jumped from Mexico to multiple states in the U.S. because people travel. It is just as lethal as the flu I had two months ago with probably the same chances as causing death, but since the chances of catching it are higher, the chances of it finding someone who won't survive it are higher too.

It's a great story for the msm to cover and they'd all love to one-up each other by getting the first scoop of a death that occurs. So I'm warning you now, you WILL hear news about a swine flu death, you WILL see the same blurb about it passing along the ticker at the bottom of the screen over and over, and drug companies that produce flu treatment medication WILL love every second of it as they make some money.

By the way, this too WILL pass. Be happy it isn't a pandemic level 5 issued over Ebola, or Kuru.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Beach Bum

I agree with you 100% However, given what I do for a living it seems reasonable that FEMA would have to coordinate with local hospitals and county agencies of which in my area I have people I can trust

National Guard units would need to be eyed as well IMHO.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Its real and I have seen the patients with my own eyes. Its not a question of it spreading its how lethal its going to get.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Marg, but thats over the course of a season and its spread does not seem this fast nor with this level of casual contact. I agree in terms of numbers it pales in comparison at this point, we are comparing 3 weeks versus several months.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Fred I do volunteer services at my local hospital that is also a regional hospital, Pheope Putney in Ga, so far is nothing out of the ordinary, business is as usual, we have not heard or see any cases in our state and even the seasonal flu is fairly mild.

You know that is always those that goes into mass hysteria and that will inundate the ERs claiming symptoms that are not there, that is part of human nature.

How many of the so call infected "are actually real cases" so far the 7 already diagnose with the swain flu in the US recuperated, the 23 month old baby was brought across the border already sick.

I still say that this smells of agenda.

+11 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I think the level of concern is entirely out of proportion with the threat.

One of these days, people will wake up and realize that their crappy driving, their inclination to drink to much, and their inability to thoroughly chew their food are all much more dangerous than swine flu.

I can't believe what a storm in a teacup this has become..it's patently ridiculous.

In the time it takes rational thinking to return to this country, I suspect the number of deaths attributable to swine flu will pale in comparison to the number of deaths attributable to people checking their phones for swine flu news updates while driving.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join