It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spider "Resurrections" Take Scientists by Surprise

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

That is the most irritating avatar on this site.

The flys and the spiders are pretty cool

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Shades of Worthing's Saga there. Wonder how painful that is.

Originally posted by elitegamer23

Originally posted by Estharik
www.cryonet.org...

SCIENTISTS have unlocked the secret of suspended animation by successfully
reviving baboons hours after their bodies were packed into crates of ice.

The breakthrough, which holds huge implications for the battle against disease
and ageing, will allow humans to preserve their ice-cold bodies in suspended
animation and wake up years later in the same physical condition.

It has aroused the interest of space scientists investigating the possibility of
interstellar travel, allowing human exploration of galaxies many light years
away.

[edit on 2009/4/25 by Aeons]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This is interesting b/c just a week ago odd thing happened.

I smashed I giant wolf spider but only its head. i didn't crush its body. I went to bed and woke up about 5 hours later and to my surprise there was ANOTHER huge wolf spider in my living room. NO! Wait! This thing is moving! Really slow but it is crawling its way across my rug. I sat and watched as it crawled about a foot before i decided to end its life once and for all.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

Originally posted by Techsnow
I sat and watched as it crawled about a foot before i decided to end its life once and for all.

i hope you didnt go about doing this by drowning it in your toilet. if so you better sleep next to a shoe tonight.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I did the same experiment on a queen ant about two decades ago, I was still a kid and it had the the same effect on an ant.

It would made me famous lol!! But I thought it was completely normal, nothing new or anything....

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Now why on earth would you want to kill spiders?Isn't their webs supposed to be stronger than steel of the same diameter.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I had a weird related experience last night, actually.

I went into my kitchen and there was a black decent-sized spider (I'm from Australia, "decent-sized" may vary depending on country) crawling past me on the ground. When I looked at it for a few seconds it stopped moving, so I went up to it and its legs were tucked in like the fetal position and it stopped moving. I blew on it but it didn't even flinch. I even blew cigarette smoke in its face..

Anyway I check back half an hour later and it's still there, so I think "phew, didn't have to kill it.. it mysteriously killed itself after seeing me" and blew more smoke in its face and it didn't flinch.

10 minutes later and it's disappeared. Next day and still can't find it. Hope it doesn't kill me in my sleep.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Wow, there are some really cruel people on this board.

yes i agree.very nasty.sick people.

very nasty people.

it is people who are cruel to animals then go on to practice that cruelty to humans too.

they are psychopaths.

just look at them laughing at their monstrous actions...how would you like to be set on fire.i bet you would screem too.

maybe daddy did not give you enough attention or ran off with the barmaid that you lot have to take your frustrations on defenceless creatures.

i hope they bite you all at night in revenge.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by esecallum]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Why cant they figure out how to do this in humans? Imagine that, a ship wreck is discovered, members of the crew have been floating lifeless for hour... we pick em up, throw em on our deck and let them dry in the sun... few hours later, we're all havin beers and good times.

COME ON SCIENCE WHERE ARE YOU ON THIS ONE??

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

the beers are probably how we ended up wrecking our first ship.

i understand people are screaming foul with some of the comments about torturing spiders in here.
torture of any living thing is not right but simply killing a spider with your shoe or something in your house is ok if you just do not like these little buggers.

id guess arachophobia is one of the most common fears amongst man and anything to set a persons mind at ease is a good thing.

yeah you dont have to burn them at the stake but a simple squash is ok with me.

JUST DONT TRY DROWNING THEM!

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
One more thing to add to the list of cool attributes by spiders. Some spiders make nets, some make webs, some hunt, some gather. Some live underwater. Some will rise up and hiss at you when attacked, others will curl into a ball and roll away. Some are loners, some are communal. Some are bums and don't "work"; they just move into a communal spider web and mooch off the commune.

I have spiders all over my house and I let them roam free. Keeps the numbers of flies in check. I can set on my porch in the evening and not get eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Humans have an ability similar to the drowning coma trick. It's called mammalian dive reflex. Spiders are uber cool. Their behavior is as odd as humans when given drugs. Glad to know that all the times my family members have tried to drown them that it didn't really hurt the spider.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by whitewave]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

spiders are a very important part to our ecosystem but why do they have to be so damn freaky looking?

i do try my best to spare any spider its life when i run across one by releasing it outside but when it comes to wolf spiders, i just cant bring myself to catching them. they are too damn fast and too creepy.

they usually get the bottom of my shoe. sorry spiders

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Dont like small spiders..lots of them around right now,dont mind the big big ones that move slow unless getting a bite to eat..just the small ones that run fast all over the place,freak me the hell out.As for cryogenic freezing i saw that quite a while ago,i always knew that would be the best solution for uber long interstellar travel *assuming we dont move much farther in technology* propulsion is just a bad idea for such vast distances..guess it wont matter if your frozen,i assume there would be people that live on board and procreate ,look after things etc.I wouldn't trust AI looking after me for thousands of years with all the probabilities that could happen in space.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

or we could just rip a hole in spacetime and go wherever we want in an instant.

i heard once that spiders like to crawl up next to you while you are sleeping to catch the warmth off your body.
if this is true that is one thing i do not want to cuddle with.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
What the # is wrong with you people!?!

Spiders are magnificent creatures.

#ing psychopaths.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Interesting story.

Must say though, I'm not a big environmentalist, but I'm a bit taken aback by the spider-killing methods mentioned in this thread.

I'll make quick work of ones such as red backs (black widows) or white tails, or *gulp* funnel webs.

But the non-venomous ones like jumping spiders and the big huntsmen spiders I'll politely put back outside.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

Originally posted by mattguy404
the big huntsmen spiders I'll politely put back outside.

you my friend have big balls or a big fishing net. thank god i dont live down under i couldnt handle the spiders you guys see.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23
reply to post by whitewave

spiders are a very important part to our ecosystem but why do they have to be so damn freaky looking?

They probably think the same thing about humans (except for the bit about being a very important part to the ecosystem).

There does seem to be some primal instinctual revulsion to spiders as well as insects. They are amazing creatures and without the fear of man firmly established in THEIR instincts, we'd be in serious trouble if even one group of them organized against us.

Some cheesy but disturbing budget horror movies have been made based on that premise. Arachnaphobia. Ticks. There were others but they're largely forgettable flicks. Point being, they don't bother me and I won't bother them. If only that attitude worked as well with my fellow man.

I was driving when I noticed a spider in my car on my seat belt. There was no place to pull over to let it out of the car so for the next 20 miles I let it crawl around on my arm until I had to stop at a light and could let it out. Didn't bite me even though I kept "transferring" it so it wouldn't crawl up my sleeve.

I wonder if that resurrection from drowning thing works with all spiders?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
kinda creepy but I must have been a buddist in my previous life lol...

I love spiders. I don't appreciate their looks or anything like that, nor would I touch them, but I do not kill them, several hang out in my bathroom and hang while I brush my teeth n stuff, I just shoo them off. I also don't remove cobwebs until the eggs have hatched and the babies have moved on.

People come over and see several white cacoons in my upper livingroom corners and probably think I am a slob but I don't care. When they appear to be drying up and empty I take them down with a broom.

I just don't see any reason to kill them.

There is the occasional one in the shower wall that I wait for to crawl away so it he/she doesn't get sprayed and drown.

I think of it as any points with Jesus I can get, yanno.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Wow thats pretty cool! That means all the spiders I've flushed down my toilet or washed down the shower drain are ok?

I used to live in colorado springs, and we had a bunch of black widows living in our basement. I caught one and kept in in a jar as a pet for a year or so. We sprayed the hell outta the others

I fed him a grasshopper or 2 a week. Funny thing, this was before 911, and when I went on a trip to NJ I took the spider with me on the plane

I doubt that would happen nowadays!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join