It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spider "Resurrections" Take Scientists by Surprise

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Originally posted by whitewave

They probably think the same thing about humans (except for the bit about being a very important part to the ecosystem).

I wonder if that resurrection from drowning thing works with all spiders?

the first part of your reply is so funny yet so true.

after matt guy said something about hating funnel webs yet he can handle huntsman spiders i had to google funnel webs.
it seems its they can drown and come back to life.
i read this on wiki and almost posted it and should have but didnt.

en.wikipedia.org...

The spiders can survive such immersion for several hours and can deliver a bite when removed from the water

those funnel web spiders are nasty little guys.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mostlyspoons

Originally posted by mostlyspoons
Wow thats pretty cool! That means all the spiders I've flushed down my toilet or washed down the shower drain are ok?

i think eventually a spider will die from being submerged over a long period of time.

Originally posted by mostlyspoons

I fed him a grasshopper or 2 a week. Funny thing, this was before 911, and when I went on a trip to NJ I took the spider with me on the plane

I doubt that would happen nowadays!

insert SPIDERS ON A PLANE meme here

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

Heh yeah, huntsmans are relatively harmless. Big and furry, but not much of threat. All you need is to get one to walk onto a piece of paper, put a wide jar over him, and pop him outside. There's definitely bit of a procedure for it

Typical huntsman (maybe not for arachnophobes):

Funnel webs are different altogether. Luckily I've only come across one (they normally don't cross beyond the Blue Mountains west of Sydney), but they're super-awesome deadly.
(definitely not for arachnophobes)

Just has "bad ass" written all over it.

Thankfully, jumping spiders are the most common around here, they're really inquisitive and intelligent spiders.

I've seen them wrestle with bugs several times their size, the little guys just don't give up on a catch.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

damn u for posting pics!

i saw a crazy video on youtube years ago when someone had a huntsman in their house.

that was the moment my dream of going to australia died.
you guys have all kinds of things that will kill you.

im in the usa and we have two poisonous spiders. the black widow and brown recluse. luckily im far enough north that they dont live in my state because of our cold winters ill guess.

i ran into a black widow at work that traveled on a train car far enough north to reach me.
was such a cool looking spider.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
it is either the leopard frog or tiger frog but one of those can be frozen in ice and then thawed and they still live.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Nice pics! The wolf spiders we have here are fairly aggressive. I've even had a moma chase me across the yard when I got too close to the egg sac while gardening.

Had to spray a few weeks ago because underneath our porch was a huge infestation of brown recluse spiders. I don't mind them being there, really, but I've got grandkids living here that are too inquisitive for their own good and their moma insisted.

Black widows have fiercely painful bites but are gentle spiders. Not aggressive at all. I've even handled one (not recommended, btw). There is antidote available for Black widow bites but you can only take it once in your lifetime (which is probably all most victims would ever need).

I've used 35% H2O2 on brown recluse bites with excellent results.

Had to show this thread to my daughter because she drowned a spider in the sink the other day and complained that it "came back" and was building a web in the bathroom. I told her that if they're in webs then they're "on duty" and leave them alone. We have a grudging truce regarding house spiders. LOL.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Awwwww... you mean this was a "new discovery" for them?

I've known this since I was a small child.

When I'd step into the shower, sometimes the daddy-long-legs that nested in there would get washed down. I'd carefully pick it back up, place it somewhere dry, blow on it to help dry it, and about half an hour later it would spring back to life.

I don't like being responsible for the death of a living thing without there being reason to it.

I already knew spiders go unconscious when submerged and that they're not actually dead. Which is why I "resurrected" the little guy so many times.

... if I had known it would surprise scientists I would have said something.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Black widows have fiercely painful bites but are gentle spiders. Not aggressive at all. I've even handled one (not recommended, btw). There is antidote available for Black widow bites but you can only take it once in your lifetime (which is probably all most victims would ever need).

click on the first link in my signature for more info on how neutralizing about insect bites,snake bites and other bites.

I daresay you will never have heard about this...

venomshock.wikidot.com...

[edit on 29-4-2009 by esecallum]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Wow, the scientists are just figuring this out? That is odd. I've known this since childhood. I even recall a Teacher talking about it. Perhaps it was lost knowledge that most children know and adults ignore?

I know that when I'd Help irrigate fields we would drown them in large numbers but they would come right back. You would be hard pressed to find a Farmer who has not known this their whole life.

These Scientists need to get out of their Ivory towers and experience the real world they have forgotten while sitting in a lab.

Spiders keep us alive for those of you scared of them. If not for them we would be overrun with insects who would decimate our food supply. If all spiders were to die, so would we.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by esecallum

I've heard of shock therapy for snake bites. It's supposed to neutralize the protein that causes damage. I have yet to see any scientific evidence of it but, then again, I've never seen any scientific evidence for 35% H202 either and I know it works (at least on brown recluse bites).

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

reply to post by esecallum

I've heard of shock therapy for snake bites. It's supposed to neutralize the protein that causes damage. I have yet to see any scientific evidence of it but, then again, I've never seen any scientific evidence for 35% H202 either and I know it works (at least on brown recluse bites).

the site has references at the bottom of the main page but they have foreign sounding names.The reasoning is how could these mud hut dwellers be know this.they must be selling snake oil.

the scientific evidence exists on the site and various links on it,unfortunately it is mostly by foreign doctors so it is automatically dismissed as fraudulent.petty racism in science results in people dying when they don't need to.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by esecallum]

[edit on 30-4-2009 by esecallum]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
No, you should love spiders - the poor little things.

How would you like to be wacked on the head and then drowned?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Big spiders are freaky looking, and a tiny bit scary, but I'm never that moved by them. Anytime I see a huge spider, I just let it be, and it goes on its way. And I don't even think they would freak me out if it wasn't for the hair on their body, but overall, spiders pretty much kickass.

Now snakes are CRAZY!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join