It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spider "Resurrections" Take Scientists by Surprise

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Spiders in a lab twitched back to life hours after "drowning"—and the scientists were as surprised as anyone.

The bugs, it seems, enter comas to survive for hours underwater, according to a new study.

thought this was cool so i wanted to share it with anyone interested.
just another reason for me to hate spiders!

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
This IS cool!
nice find man!
If spiders put themselves in a koma to survive underwater......does that mean they can get back up too if I whack em?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Pakd-on-mystery

I highly doubt they'll survive a nice whack haha.

Anyway, that IS another reason to hate spiders, or respect them.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I hate spiders. HATE. Good thing my spider killing tactic is to drown them in hair spray or WD-40 then when they stop moving light the spray on fire to burn off the pool. Let's see them Easter Jesus away from that!

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnivea
I hate spiders. HATE. Good thing my spider killing tactic is to drown them in hair spray or WD-40 then when they stop moving light the spray on fire to burn off the pool. Let's see them Easter Jesus away from that!

I like you -> nice and evil!
I have done that to a spider here that was about 3-4 inches big, and that thing was actually sqeaking (It was probably supposed to be screaming which makes it even funnier)

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
That's why I see those pesky creatures crawling around even in the dead of winter. I saw one once outside crawling on my front porch...at a time when there was about three feet of snow everywhere.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

Theres an old bar trick you can do the same thing with flies down them in water. Then pour salt on them and the start to move again.They breath thru there skin and go into a coma the salt dries there skin allowing them to breath again.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Yeah, wierd.
I'm sure there's a trick you can do with flies... Freeze them, then get one in your hand, it looks dead. Say you are going to bring it to life, close your hand around it and warm it up. It should fly away. I think I read this in a David Blaine book.
As for torching spiders, wow, that is hardcore. I friend of mine used to capture bees, hold them still in pliers and tie string around them, like a pet bee on a lead. He said you could yank the string and the bee would break in half. This was years ago like. I never indulged, I feel guilty if I accidenty stand on a snail.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Hmmmm. What a nice recipe for a super human.

To human DNA add spider DNA. Then throw in some fish and lizard DNA.

Top that of with a bit of roadrunner (the bird) and canine DNA and I think you would have a human that could survive underwater, grow body parts that are cut off back, run like hell and lick any body part.

Eww. I'm so gross today I gross myself out.

I guess it must be the survival mentality in me today that is in high gear due to possible flu epidemic.

OP that is really cool about the coma thingy with spiders.

Lest I forget, there is a really neat trick you can do with a chicken in a circle drawn around it.

OK going back to bed now. Seems I got up without engaging my brain.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pakd-on-mystery
I have done that to a spider here that was about 3-4 inches big, and that thing was actually sqeaking (It was probably supposed to be screaming which makes it even funnier)

I've had a spider squeak (It was more like a mini screech) right before I stepped on it. My girlfriend was right next to me but she said she didn't hear it and I couldn't get any of my family members to believe me. I know what I heard though, I'm not insane! Glad to see someone else has had the squeaking spider experience too

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
Hmmmm. What a nice recipe for a super human.

To human DNA add spider DNA. Then throw in some fish and lizard DNA.

Actually.. I was thinking the same thing .. except about the "immortal jellyfish" that is on the link at the bottom of the spider article. These things revert into a cyst like state when damaged or starved, then the cyst becomes a polyp colony, which is the 1st stage of a jellyfish's life. Then the polyp colony spawns hundreds of identical jellies to the parent, before-it-was-damaged of course.

So essentially its like you shooting me with a gun, me turning into a massive uterus-placenta monstrosity which erupts and gives birth to hundreds of babies, identical to me when i was a baby.

HMMM.... attached by hundreds of embolical cords! lovely!

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
i am not the slightest bit surprised. they are smarter than u give them credit for. they seem to like me too. and they grow pretty big where i live. hence why i am planning to move to europe where they dont have any.

oh thats so sad that they squeak. i am really trying not to be afraid of them - i used to kill them all the time becuz i have a phobia (and i had on one occasion a giant tarantula just above my head inside my car) but i am trying to get used to them. i dont kill them any more tho i just get someone to put it outside.

[edit on 25-4-2009 by rapunzel222]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapunzel222
hence why i am planning to move to europe where they dont have any.

Who told you that?

I'm pretty sure I am not imagining the spiders over here in the UK haha

[edit on 25-4-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Geeze, am I the only person on ATS who likes spiders?
Anyway, this is a retty cool study, never thought spiders could do that, though I know of one species that builds it's nest underwater.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
pah!!! they dont count. i have to deal with spiders the size of dinner plates here, hence the slight phobia i have developed. i used to live in holland/scandanavia. no spiders to speak of there. . not many insects in general. bliss.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
i guess the only way to get rid of a spider by drowning it is to drown it in gasoline and set it on fire.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapunzel222
hence why i am planning to move to europe where they dont have any.

So what were the 8 legged things that were actually large enough to enable me (with terrible eyesight I might add!) to take them out sniper style from about 10 or 12 meters with a .22 air rifle? - Or the massive thing that nearly caused me to break my ankle when I was running through bushes as a kid and nearly ran face first into it's web??

Grrr I hate spiders - I'll be remembering the WD40 tip, but in all honesty a screaming spider will freak me out and I like my dreams light-hearted and sexy.

I'm not altogether surprised at the spiders coming back to life really - they are tough little SOB's, one of natures survivors... Man my skin is crawling at all this talk of these things - if one crosses my path tonight I shall react with utmost prejudice

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
You know I just sat back down and thought about these spiders going into a coma to survive without air for a while..

Anyone think it's possible for some organism (not necessarily a spider) to hitch a ride from planet to planet using this coma state? I know entering an atmosphere will pose a problem with burning up and all but even the possibility of it happening on a small scale.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Wow, there are some really cruel people on this board.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Estharik

Anyone think it's possible for some organism (not necessarily a spider) to hitch a ride from planet to planet using this coma state?

its kinda the idea of how humans could travel across the universe.
www.cryonet.org...

SCIENTISTS have unlocked the secret of suspended animation by successfully
reviving baboons hours after their bodies were packed into crates of ice.

The breakthrough, which holds huge implications for the battle against disease
and ageing, will allow humans to preserve their ice-cold bodies in suspended
animation and wake up years later in the same physical condition.

It has aroused the interest of space scientists investigating the possibility of
interstellar travel, allowing human exploration of galaxies many light years
away.

[edit on 25-4-2009 by elitegamer23]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join