It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding Depression (Important Info Everyone Should Know)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
It is widely known that an extremely large amount of people are battling depression and other disorders. There is lack of comprehensive and well thought out personal experiences with enough information to help the common man understand.
I am going to help you understand this topic the best way I can, by telling you my experiences and giving you the medical information you need to know.

First of all, what is depression, what are the symptoms and what types of depression are there?
The medical definition of depression is as follows:

Depression may be described as feeling sad, blue, unhappy, miserable, or down in the dumps. Most of us feel this way at one time or another for short periods.
True clinical depression is a mood disorder in which feelings of sadness, loss, anger, or frustration interfere with everyday life for an extended period of time.

The common symptoms are:

* Trouble sleeping or excessive sleeping
* A dramatic change in appetite, often with weight gain or loss
* Fatigue and lack of energy
* Feelings of worthlessness, self-hate, and inappropriate guilt
* Extreme difficulty concentrating
* Agitation, restlessness, and irritability
* Inactivity and withdrawal from usual activities
* Feelings of hopelessness and helplessness
* Recurring thoughts of death or suicide

Low self esteem is common with depression. So are sudden bursts of anger and lack of pleasure from activities that normally make you happy, including sex.

There are many types of depression. Their depth and length ranging from mild to severe.
A minor depression is defined as:

Minor depression is defined as a mood disturbance of at least 2 weeks' duration, with between two and five symptoms of depression.

A Major depression is defined as:

Major depressive disorder consists of one or more major depressive episodes each of which lasts at least 2 weeks.

For both of these types of depression, the feelings of the person can range from mild to severe. Meaning a person can just feel down right sad and lonely, losing interest in their favorite subjects or they can become isolated, suicidal and a danger to themselves and others.

There are certain types of depression, with distinct causes and treatments. They vary from cause to cause and the effects which they have on the person affected.
One very well known type, only effecting women is Post Partum Depression.

Post Partum Depression – Major depressive episode that occurs after having a baby. Depressive symptoms usually begin within four weeks of giving birth and can vary in intensity and duration.

The medical knowledge on PPD, varies from doctor to doctor but it is mainly thought that after the birth of the child, a woman's hormones are trying to return to normal causing PPD. The severity varies from woman to woman. The most severe cases have seen women killing themselves or their children.
The next type of depression is going on the raise with the current times and should be understood by everyone. It is called Situational Depression or Reactive Depression.

Situational Depression or Reactive Depression (also known as Adjustment Disorder with Depressed Mood) – Depressive symptoms developing in response to a specific stressful situation or event (e.g. job loss, relationship ending). These symptoms occur within 3 months of the stressor and lasts no longer than 6 months after the stressor (or its consequences) has ended. Depression symptoms cause significant distress or impairs usual functioning (e.g. relationships, work, school) and do not meet the criteria for major depressive disorder.

While the last sentence is currently under debate by the medical community, it is mostly a short lived depression. Once the person copes with what has happened they return to their normal happy selves. In severe cases a person can harm themselves and others, if it is not dealt with correctly. Ex: Grief.
The last example depression has been felt or will be felt by nearly all people in the world, it is called Melancholic Depression.

Melancholic Depression (Sub-type of Major Depressive Disorder) - Main features of this kind of depression include either a loss of pleasure in virtually all activities or mood does not temporarily improve in response to a positive event.

AKA: Mid-life crisis.

Now that you have a basic knowledge of what depression is, how do you treat it? There are two options:

Treatment will differ depending on the type of depression based on its severity and various symptoms. For example, the focus of therapy may vary or different antidepressants may be prescribed targeting certain symptoms.

Now for my story,
I have been battling depression and bi-polar disorder almost my whole life. I have known since I was 13 that something was wrong with me. I spent my middle school years in a haze of self hatred and sadness. During that time people did not tell each other they were feeling like killing themselves. It was a taboo subject and to many families it still is. From what I was taught by my teachers and television, psychiatrists were there to put you into the looney bin, so I told no one. I lived in my own little world of gloom.
In my late teens, things started to change. I would wake up extremely happy and laughing at anything remotely funny, then the day after I would want to poke my eyes out with a pen. One day I went to school and looked at the people all running around as happy as can be and I asked myself, "What's the point? I can't be like them!"
I had just experienced a psychotic meltdown. I stopped going to school, stopped talking to my friends, I spent all day in my bed room reading and watching TV, just hating the world.
At this time my parents took me to a psychiatrist and I got a prescription for Depression and Bi-polar Disorder. The effects were almost immediate, I felt happier, lighter somehow. My moods stopped fluctuating. I still didnt like being around a lot of people but I was getting better. After 6 months at home, I was ready to go back to school and continue my studies. I had submitted all the papers to get back in and it was 3 days till I returned.
My dad was diagnosed with cancer. A golf ball sized tumor was growing on the right side of his brain. 3 weeks and 2 days after he was diagnosed, he died due to complications from the removal of the tumor.
Everything for me stopped. I once again faced depression. A new type though, this one had a reason. Grief. The most horrible feelings I had ever felt before. My earlier depression was clouded with confusion as to why I felt that way, and there was nothing I could do about it but this was horrible. I knew what caused me to feel this way and it was just horrible. I still battle that grief as I write this.

To sum everything up for everyone reading this thread. Depression runs in my family. My Grandfather, Father and Mother have all dealt with depression. I take medications and no longer deal with the confusion I felt before as to why I felt that way. It didnt help that society didnt teach me what to do and I was adamant that I didnt need to see a doctor. I urge you to see a doctor if you have any of the symptoms I cited at the beginning of this thread. Life is much better when youre not in a haze of sadness.
Grief is a horrible thing to have to go through. Everyone must go through it at some time though. Be it the death of a family pet or the loss of a loved one. While I did not seek help for my grief because I have dealt with depression my whole life and knew how to handle it. I also urge anyone having to go through it to seek counseling if they need it. Telling a complete stranger your feelings and knowing they cannot divulge the information to anyone does wonders. My Mother knows this best.

There is one last thing I must tell. Bi-Polar disorder is no joke. It is hard to diagnose because the person going through the manic ups and downs doesnt consciously know they are feeling those things. Crazy people do not know they are crazy. For an example the only reason I found out I had BPD is because my family noticed and started to comment on my strange moods. If you think you have BPD please seek medical help.

I would like to thank you for reading this thread and understand that divulging some of this information can be seen as wrong to some people but giving a personal experience along with medical information is the easiest way to get you into a depressed person's shoes, as horrible as that sounds, it is important you understand what many people go through everyday. Do not fear what you do not understand. Knowledge is power and knowing is half the battle.

Please feel free to leave comments and personal experiences!

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3

Edit: Just to let you guys know I have not been majorly depressed for years now. I am healthy and am not crazy.

[edit on 4/16/2009 by Tentickles]

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
All of us, every last one, is at least a little bit crazy. Life does that to you.

I went to the doctors, got my diagnosis and then got lots and lots of pills. I became the happiest person you could imagine. I woke up every morning singing. People hated me, my girlfriend moved out.

It's not easy being the ray of sunshine that brightens all the world, People shoot at you for that.

I went cold turkey. I would rather be crazy than live in a world controlled by medication.

In this day and age the doctors would rather addict you to pills than help you. They get kickbacks. Any doctor you see in the U.S. is not your friend, they are there to make a buck off you. You are a profit margin, nothing more.

These afflictions do exist, but finding help for them is not an option. Medicine in the United states has become nothing more than a conspiracy against the afflicted. They are there to rob you, not to help you.

That said, there are people who need help, and sometimes the doctors are their only option. I understand that, and my prayers are with those who must take that path. May God be with you.

This is just my humble opinion,

[edit on 16-4-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I have dealt with depression and chronic fatigue in my early and mid-twenties. I had it pretty bad. I can't be bothered to go into it...

May I ask what your diet is like? A lot of depressed people blow this question off as trivial, or get a bit defensive and say.. "I EAT WELL.", but
seriously, I'd be really interested to see if you could give an approximate food diary of what you ate over the last few days, including drinks.

Depression over the death of your father is completely understandable but there can be a chemical cause for more long term feelings.

Mr Wupy, could you describe in more detail what it was like to be on those things?

[edit on 14f20094amThu, 16 Apr 2009 00:36:29 -050029 by HiAliens]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Depression can be induced through government and cabal-sponsored psychosomatic agents albeit the key factor is always linked to money.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

We all have our opinions of the Major Drug companies. I myself do not like the way the run things. It's all about money and greed.

Sad part, or good part, for me is that I do need to take this medication or I become a danger to myself. I am a survivalist and if that means I need to take a medication to balance out my moods and get rid of my depression to survive, I will.

I am just happy that I have good medical insurance.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

I do actually eat well, early on I found out that it made me feel even better. I have cut out all sodas, I do not eat candy, only drink water milk and OJ. What foods I eat usually depend on what's in my house. Sandwiches, noodles, fresh fruit and veggies from my garden.

I am happy to say that I have no felt majorly depressed in a few years.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ctjctjctj

With the increase in psychiatric disorders in the last 50 years, I do believe that the government is putting stuff into our food and water to make us all alittle bit more unstable.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Sorry to hear of your struggles. I wonder just how many people have Bi-polar, it seems almost every one I know either has it, or knows several who do.

Could it be the vaccines they are giving on a more regular basis? I think something has to explain why so many have this horrible disease.

We may never know the truth, but I suspect that vaccines are part of the reason.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

There are a lot of factors that could be leading to the increase of psychological disorders. From the Government, vaccines, pollution, genetic decay... The list can go on and on. It doesnt help that psychology didnt become a field of medicine until the 1950s.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

O.K.
1) I'm not a doctor, so this isn't medical advice 2) I'm not pushing any of the following info on you at all, not even sneakily. I'm going to put it up here because I think this will end up as a "big thread", and I might end up helping someone else.

There is possibly a link between candida and depression. Systemic candida is a hugely undiagnosed illness which may be the hidden, deeper cause behind a lot of other conditions.

Check this out:

STAGE THREE: (Out of four)

This is the most critical stage where in the mind and behavior is affected by the infection. You will note the following signs and symptoms:

• Decrease focus to things around
• Severe forgetfulness
• Memory loss
• Confabulations
• Loss of skills

A patient may develop the following signs and symptoms that can be frightening.

• Severe crying
• Severe depression
• Insomnia or sleeping disorders
• Irritating behaviors
• Irrational thoughts
• Severe fears
• Phobia
• Severe anxiousness
• Panic
• Muscle twitching
• Aggressive behavior
• Violence and sometimes
• Epileptic seizures
• Death

Most of the people recognize this as the stage of mental illness as the patient may develop schizophrenia or psychosis. Sometimes patients are brought to psychiatrist or mental institution. The mental disorder of a patient suffering from candidiasis may take longer period of treatment.

(Note: Kind of funny that it lists death as a symptom) Stage four of Candida is even worse.

My Experiences
I suffered from stage one and two candida for years before I realised what it was, and towards the end of 08 I crept into stage 3. I couldn't understand what the hell was going on. My diet consisted of: Watermelon, Orange Juice, Nuts, Vegetable Stir-Frys, Mangos, Potato Cakes, Green Tea Drinks, Occasionally meat, Salads, the odd beer. Mainly fresh food, no MSG.

Sounds pretty healthy, right? People used to tell me I ate healthily, but I didn't realise that I was consuming sugar in some form or other ALL DAY LONG, and therefore feeding a yeast overgrowth in my system. When it finally clicked that I had candida I immediately put myself on a low sugar diet, and immediately started to feel better. When I got a sugar/wheat craving I gave in, felt bad again. I oscillated between stage two and three for a few months. I still have it latent and have to be very careful what I eat... For example, I had two beers, Chicken Pesto Pasta and a couple of chicken sandwiches last night, and my mood quickly turned really bad. If I drink so much as 2 cokes my mood can quickly turn FOUL. Seriously, I am like sodding Jekyll and Hyde. If there's ever an ATS meetup keep me away from the Pepsi. I even thought I had bipolar---- in a way I am, but my moods are *directly related* to what I eat. For example, I just had a spinach and burdock salad, and feel fine.

Tests to see if depression may be diet related

There are many causes for depression, one may be diet. If anyone wants to check if diet may be one of the factors in their depression it might be worth trying the following tests.

1) Keep a food diary. If you're too lazy to keep one on paper keep one in your head. Observe your mood closely after eating or drinking anything, especially 45 minutes to 4 hours after ingestion of food. If your mood plummets after eating sugar, fruit or carbs, especially white carbs- diet may be a factor in your depression.
2) Try restricting the above foods for a couple of meals, eat raw vegetables instead, and see if you feel calmer.

Some Observations

1) Depressed people are generally disdainful of the idea that diet may be closely related to depression. I have talked about this with a lot of sufferers and the response tends to be "Uhhh, yuh, maybe". They just don't want to know. It's good to see people on this forum are more open minded. People I've chatted with can accept that diet plays a minor role in the condition but not a major one. They believe their depression is due to their "insight" and "realization" that life is pointless, a waste, the world is grey, sad etc. Well, this is completely true- but it's also true that life is a breathtaking, once only experience and it's a privilege to be alive.

2) Very few people really eat well. Especially in the U.K. and U.S. In my view, 50 per cent of people eat awfully, 20 per cent eat badly and 25 eat averagely, leaving only 5 per cent who genuinely eat well. I know how to eat well but sometimes I binge and eat crap, and pay the price.

[edit on 14f20094amThu, 16 Apr 2009 02:06:16 -050016 by HiAliens]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Hi, Tentickles. Love the avatar by the way. My dad's side of the family has always been well balanced people, with the exception of one eccentric aunt who I loved dearly. My mother's side of the family have always been erratic and angry people. None of whom I loved dearly, except my one aunt who was unlike the rest. She was calm and well balanced. Go figure. lol. I recognized early in life that my mom was not what she should be. I have a sister who is not what she should be. She does nothing about this, though. She just blames our mom. I, however, recognized that I was not what I should be and made a concerted effort to control my behaviour. At least outwardly I was able to projecdt some sort of normalcy. I have two daughters who are not what they should be. But, with my guidance, they are able to function well. We all suffer deep depression and bi-polar. I took meds for this, they worked for a long time, but I got tired of being, um, "dead", and have opted to just deal with it all and be the best I can be. Yes, there are times when I cannot get out of bed, times when I am too silly, times when I am just too damned sad to be around. Times when I must just sleep and sleep and sleep. My daughters are doing very well. They both refused the meds soon after they got them. Now my one daughter has 2 girls and 1 boy. They all three have these same problems we have. But we talk with them a lot, and we help them learn how to deal with their disorders. It's the people like my mom and her family who failed to recognize there is a problem and so they are a problem. I take meds from time to time to balance myself, but I can only do it for a short time. It is a relief to take the meds, but I just can't stay on them. It's so unnatural. My dad told everyone I was retarded. My mom beat my butt relentlessly. Somehow I survived and eventually finished 8 years of college, although it took many years. It can be done. It's a constant struggle. But from me on down to my daughters and to my grandchildren, we support each other. We have a joke we say when one of us is out of sorts. We say, "It's time to take a crazy pill." lol. And we all eventually get back to where we need to be to maintain and not put undue anger and pressure and depression on each other. Now, my grandson is in a terrible way. We hope to work it out with him without meds. Perhaps he will need some to help him get straight for a bit, until he recognizes what is going on. We will see. People who have not experienced this constant depression and quick flucuations in emotions won't understand, I don't think, unless they are schooled and trained. And really, who wants to put up with an erratic individual, unless they love them dearly. Not many. I wish you well in your life and success in your struggles.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Hi tentickles. Always love you posts. I am currently in a battle with Severe Chemical Depression (not enough serotonin). Finding it extremely difficult. Been on and off anti-depressant's, for the last year. Have nearly taken my own life twice. To put it simply, i hate myself, think everyone hates me, and if i am caught with a confrontation, i lose all rational thought and just want to self harm. It is a hard road, and i'm trying. I would never wish it on anyone, but is a breath of fresh air to hear from someone who has battled with it and won.

Cherry

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Feel free to post any information pertaining to the subject as you like. That is how people gain knowledge! Knowing is half the battle.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Okay. I will take what you posted with some caution. This list reflects a lot of what my grandson is. He's a hard case, that is for sure. Sometimes I think he needs a good a$$ whooping, but I opt for a strong hug and kind words. I reconize myself in him when I was his age. except I was beaten constantly and I never understood the beatings or why I wasn't hugged and loved. Now, this is true. My mom bragged to people that when I awoke in the morning she would beat my a$$ just because she knew I would do something wrong that day that she would not be aware of. This 78 year old hag still brags about this and laughs about it and expects me to understand it all and find it amusing. I will not allow this to happen to my grandson, nor will my daugher allow this to happen to him. I will check out this info you posted and we will talk about it and consider if we should take action on it. Thanks for the info.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CherryDuck

Hey, Cherryduck. I wish you good luck with your chemical imbalance struggles. You can succeed. You can overcome. Don't let it destroy you! For me, I found a creative outlet using acrylic paints and music to direct these turmoils inside to help learn to control a bit and gain understanding of myself. I have a granddaughter who directs these emotions through singing and writing songs. My daughter has taken my many tools which I used to use but now no longer feel confident to use and puts them to use doing wonderful things in our house. My suggestion is to find a creative outlet to express these feelings inside you. Wonderful things can come from this. Good luck!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Thank you for telling your story kyred. It is true people who have not dealt with this personally have no idea what it is like. I wrote this thread in hopes it will help people understand as much as they can. I am glad to hear that you have found the balance you need to maintain and do hope your grandson will be alright! Hang in there!!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CherryDuck

Never lose hope CherryDuck, always remember that there are people out there to help you deal with what you are going through.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Feel free to post any information pertaining to the subject as you like. That is how people gain knowledge! Knowing is half the battle.

The only reason I was so, uhhh, on tiptoes about posting that info is that I've tended to get a negative response from people when I mention diet and depression, so I just keep my mouth shut now. I know you're open minded though...

[edit on 14f20094amThu, 16 Apr 2009 01:36:37 -050037 by HiAliens]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Never be afraid to share your opinion friend! Even if it brings negative comments.

There are many reasons and many cures for every disorder or disease out there.

Know that there are many people read these types of sites, many who do not even post a response. Who will read your comments and might possibly realize that whatever is in your post pertains to them.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
reply to post by kyred

Thank you for telling your story kyred. It is true people who have not dealt with this personally have no idea what it is like. I wrote this thread in hopes it will help people understand as much as they can. I am glad to hear that you have found the balance you need to maintain and do hope your grandson will be alright! Hang in there!!

Thanks, Tentickles!
Great post, by the way. A star and flag for you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join