It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravity Wave hits Alabama

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
As I understand it, gravitational waves pass through matter, and thus I would expect that they do not move anything. There are many instances of them having been recorded, and usually they are evident by the "stacking" of clouds. No other effect has been recorded that I am aware of, aside from this thread.

Remember, gravity is one of the very weak forces that we experience on this planet. I'm not contesting the OP's point of view, because certainly strange things happen all the time that are outside the norm of standard measurability. I just would urge you all who feel you have seen high winds and trees knocked down to look into other avenues of meteorological data before making a perhaps unfounded assumption that they are gravitational waves.

OP, if you could give us a sector of Alabama that you live in, I'd be happy to look into known tornado touchdowns. Always a good thing to rule out the known causes, right?

Fascinating thread, nonetheless. S&F from me.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I read somwhere recently that the closer we get to galactic center, we'd be geting strange gravitational pulses or waves? Could this be the begining?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eye of Horus
I read somwhere recently that the closer we get to galactic center, we'd be geting strange gravitational pulses or waves? Could this be the begining?

Just take a look at the sky after the jets make their contrails...
the sky is full of the scalar looking clouds -
It happens nearly every time we have a jet contrail whiteout.
Those clouds look electromagnetic - and it has become more frequent.
Something is clearly causing this.
They look like pulse waves.
There is no mistaking it.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

Originally posted by Eye of Horus

Just take a look at the sky after the jets make their contrails...
the sky is full of the scalar looking clouds -
It happens nearly every time we have a jet contrail whiteout.
Those clouds look electromagnetic - and it has become more frequent.
Something is clearly causing this.
They look like pulse waves.
There is no mistaking it.

That is so perfect what you said.

I said this in my own head and a family member echoed my sentiments.

It was like that here in my area tonight, almost as if there was a small ripple in the ocean.

Was it from a link on this thread that indicated someone "threw a pebble in the pond" ?

Electronic ripples in the sky, WOW!

Gravity Waves!

What could it be?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Have read through this thread and am fascinated. I didn't see any mention of the waves' effect on people and whether or not the people in the area could "feel" it. Was it felt "physically" or cause any physical symptoms, etc? I have never heard of anything like this!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Iam seriously thinking there is some confusion going on with "gravity waves' and straight line winds. Gravity waves are just that. Straight line winds cause damage and knock down trees and major chaos, Ive seen gravity wave vids and they basically are time lapsed vids of rippling clouds in the form of a wave. I have never heard a news broadcast on the weather talking about damage from gravity waves. plenty of straight line winds though. Some research is needed from the OP to ensure that he understands the difference.

This is what I gather from the post.
regards
MC

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tunatarian
Have read through this thread and am fascinated. I didn't see any mention of the waves' effect on people and whether or not the people in the area could "feel" it. Was it felt "physically" or cause any physical symptoms, etc? I have never heard of anything like this!

I did read on one of the links from the local paper there where one of the guys in the campgrounds said when he went outside he couldn't hardly breathe.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

I read that a gravity wave has hit alabama before, I think it was in 1998...and one hit in Iowa a while back.

Straight line winds are not the same thing though.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

HI there

I would never post such a thing as a assumption.

Newspapers all around my town, including my own, have their meteorologist calling it a gravity wave...

The links I gave in the first part of the thread have some local newspaper sites as well as surrounding area news sites that show the meteorologist calling it a gravity wave.

I am looking at my local paper (Jackson county 'sentinel paper' and Huntsville paper) both say big letters..."gravity wave"

The true term would be atmospheric wave...gravity wave is a 'type' of atmospheric wave.
Thanks for the addition and great points

Friday we did have tornadoes and hail storms....early monday there was no tornadoes.

I saw more pictures today that are almost unbelievable for no tornado being around.
LV

[edit on 17-4-2009 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Tunatarian

I didnt feel anything different. But I thought the same thing...I wonder if there could be effects on a human from such a thing...considering it goes right through matter.

LV

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
this destruction was caused by a massive amount of compressed and then released air, not by a gravity wave. and to think this notion was surmised by a meteorlogist no less...wonder what school he went to?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mcgilligan02

FOR THE LAST TIME....I DID NOT MAKE THIS ASSUMPTION THAT IS WAS A GRAVITY WAVE.

Its the news sites, meteorologists, from many counties...even in Tennessee. There were straight line winds, the papers and links say so....that doesnt mean there wasnt a gravity wave.

People, please read the links I gave....really. They are all official news sites locally and outside counties from where I live.

Again, the meteorologist are the ones saying its a gravity wave. Not me personally, this is not my personal opinion.

I live in Scottsboro Alabama, Jackson County...Huntsville is 40 mins from me. Read the links or google it....I would not make a thread like this on my own opinion. I am using official news sites.

Thanks
LV

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

It wasnt ONE meteorologist...try like ALL of them in each county.

People, pls read the links and google it....its all over the southern states new sites.

Here is a google I did...without clicking on the links, this just shows the list of links of news sites that say what it was....

blog.al.com...

www.al.com.../base/news/1239696960298400.xml&coll=2

www.alabamawx.com...

www.alabamawx.com...

www.alabamaweather.org...

blog.al.com...

www.alabamawx.com...

The last link shows it wasnt only Alabama, but also Mississippi and Georgia...although Alabama got the blunt of it.

Here is a video from a news site....

www.wdef.com...

and here is my local newspaper

www.thedailysentinel.com...

Just a few links to check

LV

The edits are to add additional links so I didnt post many times

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

That campground got the worst of the worst....almost all the campers set up there were demolished completely.

Thanks for the comments about the guy who couldnt hardly breath...I missed that one, Ive been browsing through links and skipping around some of the articles. That particular park is still closed down, they wont even let anyone in.

LV

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by imysbbad

Hello

I have a thread that gives a link to pictures of the shirt...you can find it on my profile. I still have the shirt in a zip lock bag,

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tunatarian

Maybe, it's probably nothing but I slept for like 10 hours that night, right through the storm. My brain-clock never lets me get that much is why I mention it. But it was more than likely just the gloomy weather that got me tired in the first place.
That storm was a mess. It looked like someone put the cedar tree in a blender and poured it on my car when I woke up.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

Come to think of it...my mother said it felt like the storm drained her of energy. But she is also very sick....so who is to say really.

Thanks for the adding to the thread!

LV

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
What? I feel like I'm suddenly on an episode of Star Trek??

I'm 36, have lived all over the world, have enjoyed years of watching the weather channel, and local news reports...and I have NEVER heard of a weather phenomenon called a 'gravity wave'!

I've heard of micro-bursts, sheet and ball lightning, and maybe some other odd named stuff that I wouldn't recall unless I heard them again. But a Gravity Wave?? I seriously think I would have remembered hearing that in a weather report and looked into it.

Now I am not doubting any of this, I mean obviously there are plenty of news links to it. But even from the description at one of the links; where the air mass moves up and down and gets stronger, doesn't sound like a gravity wave. Sounds like oscillating air currents.

Okay, so did they recently come up with this term? Did they replace something else with this (they do it a lot in the medical field lol). Or maybe they are using this rare gravity wave to explain something they really can't explain? Or don't want to?

Am I just going out of my mind, or is this new to anyone else as well?? Hey, maybe I just slipped into another universe and I should be posting in another thread!

I'm just baffled at this and intrigued, S&F for sure, thank you.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
science.msfc.nasa.gov...

I may have found the missing link so to speak between the gravity wave and tornados.

see link above for scientific explanations :

Gravity Waves Make Tornados

[edit on 17-4-2009 by mcgilligan02]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

My apologies for inferring an assumption on your part
I did research the Interactive tornado map on Wunderground and found the following for Friday, 10 Apr 2009:

16:14 EDT
Lat/Lon: 34.54,-86.07

Report of significant damage to Mobile homes in the Langston area. Numerous trailers overturned with people trapped. Time estimated from radar.

and, just west of there (east of Grant)

16:06 EDT

Lat/Lon: 34.53,-86.20

*** 2 inj *** confirmed EF-2 tornado touchdown in the Waterfront and Preston Island communities along lake Guntersville in northeast Marshall County. Several houses sus

Note that the coordinates given are the touchdown location. www.wunderground.com...

Again, I find this a very worthy and interesting thread; Certainly asmospheric and weather effects are not as tidy and "known" as we would like to believe (IMO). Being somewhat of a self-proclaimed weather geek, I'm very interested in all manner of related phenomenon, and ground observations comprise a very vital part of such studies.

Cheers

edit to add some photo links:
edit again because I accidentally stretched your thread.... sorry!
www.geos.ed.ac.uk...
www-misr.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 17-4-2009 by argentus]
A short primer on gravity waves: pcl.physics.uwo.ca...

[edit on 17-4-2009 by argentus]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join