It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravity Wave hits Alabama

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by peede

Awesome! Its great to know I have fellow ATSers close by!

Thanks for adding to the thread!

My best to all
LV

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

what is the light source that keeps scanning across the sky in the video of a gravity wave that hit iowa? it can't be the sun or the moon because there's a timer on the video showing the passage of the minutes, starting at 8 o'clock and ending at 8:39. the sun or moon wouldn't have time to make that passage repeatedly in just thirty nine minutes on the same day.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Hello undo!

Im not sure...I would love to find more videos of this phenomenon to compare. I read that a gravity wave is similar to the phenomenon of 'bending light'. Not sure if that would have anything to do with the 'light' or not...and like I stated earlier, I know little and still am learning. Mabey the channel of the youtube video says more.....

For now, Im off to bed with nice settle winds tonight (thankfully)

Ill check back in the morning for more posts...

My best to you and yours
LV

[edit on 16-4-2009 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
Wow. Great thread.
We have been experiencing some very windy times here in California the last couple of years. This winds are not the Santa Ana winds that people have come to know.
These are cold winds - they can come without clouds. These winds are not normal for this area. I have lived here 25 years - the sky is different- the winds are different -
They are fierce.

Hey interesting that you mentioned this. I just noticed this same thing yesterday (4/14/09) in downtown L.A. - very cold, VERY fierce wind - no clouds - felt very weird to me.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by peede

yea s'boro and the surrounding area has been hit again and again...i know the insurance people are covered up right now, first with the hail last week and now this. by the way, i saw a piece of hail hit my deck that was MELON sized...i know people always think hail is exaggerated, and maybe it is, but this thing was around the size of a nerf football. i had nothing to measure it with, but there ya go. in response to the question about trees, all of them that i have seen were leafed out pretty well, i looked around town quite a bit and although i admit i wasn't looking for how well they were "leafed" for lack of a better term, memory does server that they were "full". i hope that helps.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

i was wondering the same thing, i'm sure someone will explain it, but for now that's quite a mystery to me. where is Phage when u need him?
what i noticed is it doesn't scan back and forth, it's always from left to right, it appears to be sunlight breaking through in regular intervals with the wave. when the wave "ebbs" if u will, the light is allowed through, or so it would appear.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Enigma Publius]

[edit on 16-4-2009 by Enigma Publius]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

It looks like the sky is undulating, like a wave at the beach before it hits shore. If you've ever gone swimming at sea and looked at the waves from under the water, they look exactly like that.

Could it be this gravity wave the others mentioned? Is this the first time it's been caught on video?

Very cool, tx for posting the video!

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Wow UNDO that video was amazing. I agree with WARREN it does have similar characteristics of turbulent water after a wave breaks. This is the first I have ever heard of a storm like this. The 60 image slideshow of the damage was devastating.

Thanks for bringing this phenomenon to us, I learned something today.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

The wave motion in the video caught my interest too... It looks just like wave motion in fluids (and not surprisingly air is a mix of fluids in terms of this behaviour)

It may not have anything to do with gravity..... It looks like a very low frequency oscillation - something hitting a resonant frequency.

Other ideas to explore....

a) I do not know the area - could the passage of wind across the regions be setting up some sort of resonance with something. A good example of this sort of effect can be seen down the Scottish lochs, especially I have seen this around Loch ness. Wind gets re-directed between the hills and forced down the length of the Lochs, and can set up some interesting effects; such a sudden very rough waves on the water, as if out on the open sea. I am also convinced I saw it once (1st hand) set up a sort of "standing wave" (like one can get in organ pipes) in resonance with the surroundings, creating slow moving huge bulges in the water - fascinating to watch...

b) The wave form in the clouds really does look like an oscillation - and if "a)" above is not a possibility, then I wonder about artificial inducement... the obvious comment is HAARP ?? could it possible that one is seeing atmospheric testing of harmonically induced waves using electromagnetic energy?

c) The crest of the wave compressing air downwards to the ground would create like "pulses" hitting the ground with gaps between. That could explain why there are huge amounts of damage, then all ok, then another batch of damage. What is the spacing between the points of damage ? - if it is repetitive spacing - that would also point to a wave form.

d) The scale and power of what one is seeing is huge, so it would take a huge amount of energy to make it happen (whether natural or artificial) unless it was a form of resonance. If it is a form of resonance, it means that a small amount of energy could produce huge effects. What else could be used to resonate that volume of atmosphere ? thinking... & question ?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
You all realize that gravity is just a theory, don't you? There is no scientific evidence for it, just the blatherings of a elitist cabal of so-called "researchers" that refuse to accept any hard evidence if it contradicts their cherished beliefs.

Short answer: There is no gravity, the Earth just sucks.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Sounds like Dr. Ling and her anti-gravity research has been located again. She was in the area at last report.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gawdzilla
You all realize that gravity is just a theory, don't you? There is no scientific evidence for it, just the blatherings of a elitist cabal of so-called "researchers" that refuse to accept any hard evidence if it contradicts their cherished beliefs.

Short answer: There is no gravity, the Earth just sucks.

Mabey...but is the atmosphere just a theory? A gravity wave is theorized as a type of atmospheric wave. There are different types of waves in the atmosphere and they use the word 'gravity' to explain the behavior of a particular wave...

en.wikipedia.org...

Causes and effects

The mechanism for the forcing of the wave, for example the generation of the initial or prolonged disturbance in the atmospheric variables, can vary. Generally, waves are either excited by heating or dynamic effects, for example the obstruction of the flow by mountain ranges like the Rocky Mountains in the U.S. or the Alps in Europe. Heating effects can be small-scale (like the generation of gravity waves by convection) or large-scale (the formation of Rossby waves by the temperature contrasts between continents and oceans in the Northern hemisphere winter).

Atmospheric waves transport momentum, which is fed back into the background flow as the wave dissipates. This wave forcing of the flow is particularly important in the stratosphere, where this momentum deposition by gravity waves gives rise to sudden stratospheric warmings and the quasi-biennial oscillation.

In the mathematical description of atmospheric waves, spherical harmonics are used. When considering a section of a wave along a latitude circle, this is equivalent to a sinusoidal shape.

[edit] Types of waves

Because the propagation of the wave is fundamentally caused by an imbalance of the forces acting on the air (which is often thought of in terms of air parcels when considering wave motion), the types of waves and their propagation characteristics vary latitudinally, principally because the Coriolis effect on horizontal flow is maximal at the poles and zero at the equator.

The different wave types are:

* sound waves (usually eliminated from the atmospheric equations of motion due to their high frequency)

These are longitudinal or compression waves. The sound wave propagates in the atmosphere though a series of compressions and expansions parallel to the direction of propagation.

* internal gravity waves (require stable stratification of the atmosphere)
* inertio-gravity waves (also include a significant Coriolis effect as opposed to "normal" gravity waves)
* Rossby waves (can be seen in the troughs and ridges of 500 hPa geopotential caused by midlatitude cyclones and anticyclones)

At the equator, mixed Rossby-gravity and Kelvin waves can also be observed.

Just because its a theory doesnt make it not so or not possible. We are still understanding how this sphere works, theories do us alot of good in reaching a understanding. There are true waves in our atmosphere...we just dont understand them therefore they are considered a phenomenon. Sorry you have issues with theories. Good luck understanding things that only have absolute facts, there are few of those in this world.

The meteorologists are the ones calling this a gravity wave....I guess they are those so called 'researchers' that you were talking about.

Thanks for commenting
LV

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This is cool....I found a site that shows people being warned of it coming, there are over 60 comments from people telling about the winds and how long it lasted....the last comment is a man that was driving and says he saw green lightening.

www.alabamawx.com...

Drove around town again today....its really a mess around here.

What I still dont understand is I see the videos of a gravity wave...but I dont see destruction linked with them so far. This storm was totally destructive.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Great informative thread.

I really like the flow of the information presented as a learning experience rather than data given as direct fact without any exploration and expansion.

I had not seen any media coverage of this which blows my mind because IMO it is a pretty big deal!

S&F for the OP!

Glad you are OK< LV

Edit to add:

I think it is very freaky!

[edit on 16-4-2009 by interestedalways]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Hi ya doll! Tis is freaky yes!

Thanks for your compliment on the thread...I sure am learning right along with everyone.

The theory that these are a warping of space/time makes one question what it really is...a wave in the atmosphere...

I mean heck, some say its all an illusion lol, well our illusion just got bumped I think. Mabey

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I found a great link on unified wave theory which has some cool sketches to help follow the text.

The universe, as with all energetic formations, could have been created in different ways. One possibility is the Big Bang theory. Wave theory maintains that every energetic formation appears as an energetic swirl and, in time, creates wave formations. To understand the behaviour of energetic matter, see the energetic matter life cycle chart below (picture below). The cycle is not closed, because the appearance and decay of energetic matter, space and time is a very complex issue. I will try to deal with this problem in later essays.

Since the Big Bang, the universe slowly cycles down though different phases: galaxies have appeared, followed by stars in their energetic paths, then planets, and so on, into intergalactic dust. Our universe may have two loops, one relatively concave and flat (energetic) and one more balloon-like (magnetic). The magnetic loop may not be a part of our universe at all. It may belong to another universe, in contact with our own. Every large energy concentration creates a swirl that creates a wave proportional to its energy and space. It seems that dark matter keeps galaxies together and connects them to each other. From time to time, energetic activity in a galaxy, like a naughty boy, threatens the universe’s stability; nets of dark matter, however, restore order.

This information is relating more to galaxy and universal formations, but hey, it's all data, right?

www.grandunifiedtheory.org.il...

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I'll take a shot at why the bottom of the wave is so lit up. I think it has something to do with the angle of the sun as it shines onto the wave and one side gets lit up like that. Kinda like if you were underwater and looked up when waves are going over and one side always looks lit up like that as the wave passes.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
hi folks. i got the video from the second link in the op. it's really not my find, but it is interesting.

radek,
you may be right.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
From another Dixielander I live in central bama and the heavy winds that were uprooting trees went on from about eleven pm to four am. I can say that I can remember other wind events like that in the past. Is that to say this isn't the first gravity wave to hit.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
hi LeoVirgo, when you say Red speckles,do you mean like circular ? These things will burrow into cotton fabrics. The next time you think about it, at dusk go outside and look on your car, in the air. These "miniature gnats"(?) are everywhere. And yes, it is worse when it rains. Sometimes at night when you shine a flashlight up, it looks like hundreds of flakes coming down. Well, they aren't flakes! I have my own theories but I'd be willing to bet it is not good. Also, these winds we have lately, they are not normal. Something just feels "freaky" about them. I think it could be HAARP. It's like mother nature is fighting her own battles with HAARP . They don"t seem to blend too well.

[edit on 16-4-2009 by imysbbad]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join