It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The universe is big - [IMAGE]

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
Makes you feel small, real small, what?

But the question here is that if the Universe is THAT big, is it possible that it could have emanated from a single point after the so-called ‘Big Bang’? Probably a closed 5th dimensional loop having no begining, no end?
We may perhaps never understand how the Universe was really created until we graduate from our present three dimensional thought processes.

Mike- thats minboggling stuff!
Theres some good links here looking at speculative theories of universe origin - it could be the case that the universe is just the result of two
other (parent) universes glancing off each other.

www.spinvestigations.org...

www.youtube.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...
Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
reply to post by johnsky

Remember size has nothing to do with significance in this universe.

It's all about perspective, we ARE special in a way in my opinion, just like so many unknown things out there in the universe, that's what makes the universe truly amazing, we are part of the universe, we are the universe!
who knows what else is out there and how much there is to learn.

I'm the kind of person when told "you're one in a million" thinks it means I'm worthless. lol.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
reply to post by johnsky

Remember size has nothing to do with significance in this universe.

It's all about perspective, we ARE special in a way in my opinion, just like so many unknown things out there in the universe, that's what makes the universe truly amazing, we are part of the universe, we are the universe!
who knows what else is out there and how much there is to learn.

I'm the kind of person when told "you're one in a million" thinks it means I'm worthless. lol.

This quote sums it up quite well:

"Every one of us is precious in the cosmic perspective. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another".
Carl Sagan

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Yes there is a GOD he said if you want to see the universe figure it out its right in front of you. Im out of here BYE!.....OOOOHHH bye the way please don't try to kill yourself's first

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Wish I could give you more than 1 star for those links. Very interesting stuff.

I have seen the pictures that the OP posted before, quite humbling. However to me, nothing is quite as humbling as the pale blue dot photo.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Well..since this is my first post (i have been scrolling arround for some time but never made account) i can say "oh my god". After i've seen this images ... i just can't imagine how big the universe is ...it's overwhelming. Thanks for posting this i really liked it and keep up the good work.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I poop bigger than ur ego..... Just kidding. OP nice post, some big things out there waiting to meet us. Hopefully we can match up to some of those expectations.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Nice picture S&F.

So our earth is small, I am very very very very very very very small..

If you think this bigger picture/universe your brains stop working..

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
But the question here is that if the Universe is THAT big, is it possible that it could have emanated from a single point after the so-called ‘Big Bang’? Probably a closed 5th dimensional loop having no begining, no end?
We may perhaps never understand how the Universe was really created until we graduate from our present three dimensional thought processes.

absolutely i agree. if something is largely considered 'infinite', how can there have been a starting point..?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Space is confusing. It's a bit of a paradox for me. It's why I stopped caring how we came to be, and just decided that I'd worry about the problems I have.

This is humbling, very humbling. Damn.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

absolutely i agree. if something is largely considered 'infinite', how can there have been a starting point..?
reply to post by raul bloodworth

There is/was a starting point because everything has a starting point! That is how humans think. Everything has a beginning, right?

Try to imagine a steady state universe in which everything is in flux but maintains a constant equilibrium. And that equilibrium has ALWAYS existed. Not just for 13 billion years but the 13 billion before that and on and on, forever.

Having a hard time imagining that? I do.

Then imatine that outside our universe there are other universes, perhaps as many other universes as there are galaxies in our universe. This may be closer to the truth. But sadly we can't see that far yet. Hubble has only hinted of the existance of other universes.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by hande
So our earth is small, I am very very very very very very very small..

If you think this bigger picture/universe your brains stop working..

If you look at it from the other end of the scale its just as mindboggling:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick
reply to post by karl 12

Wish I could give you more than 1 star for those links. Very interesting stuff.

I have seen the pictures that the OP posted before, quite humbling. However to me, nothing is quite as humbling as the pale blue dot photo.

Cheers bud -if you've not seen them before ,theres some good videos on cosmology/astrophysics here (just ignore the wacky ones):
vodpod.com...
technorati.com...
www.blinkx.com...
Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I have seen the 10,000 galaxy small square picture but I have never seen those huge stars. It blew me away. Absolutly beautiful and amazing. The universe is mind boggling. I just got a celestron 60gt telescope and a barow lens( decent for viewing the moon but thats pretty much it ).

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

A star for you and thanks for posting this. I've seen it before, but it's something I always like being reminded of every now and then.

One video I remember seeing in the past that I was hoping would show up here but haven't seen it yet is one that starts out at the atomic level and zooms out to the universal level. (A good visual aid while trying to get your head around both the small and large ends of the spectrum.)

If anyone knows what I'm talking about and knows where one can find it, could you please let me and everyone else know. Thanks. It's been years since I've seen it and have no idea where to even start looking for it but I would love to see it again.

Thanks again.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I just want to add more info onto what spitefulgod and Karl 12 have posted previously regarding the Millenium Simulation and the comparison between the structure of the universe and the neural structure of a mouse's brain.

Here's the image comparison again. The similarities are astounding to say the least.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/016c28958aab.jpg[/atsimg]

Originally this appeared in the NY Times in a science article, the caption read:

One is only micrometers wide. The other is billions of light years across. One shows neurons in a mouse brain. The other is a simulated image of the universe. Together they suggest the surprisingly similar patterns found in vastly different natural phenomena.

The image was obtained from a project known as the Millenium Run, aka, The Millenium Simulation. The object of the research was to create a visual representation of the physical universe to help better understand how it has evolved over time. The simulation re-created a cube of space 2 billion light years in width. Once completed, it was fully explorable and comprised 25 terabytes of storage.

Image representing the portion of the universe mapped and explored

Below are some links to the research and related material:

*Neuron/Universe Comparison (full-res version from the NY Times)

*Millennium Simulation (the project page for the creation of the universe image above)

*Simulating the joint evolution of quasars, galaxies and their large-scale distribution (the scientific paper on the project)

*Relevant Project Media (data & subsequent media created from the research)

And here's a video I put together featuring the 3D 'Millenium Simulation' combined with a neural net 'fly-through':

Here's another video of how I imagine the universe to be. I used portions of the movies Contact and Stargate, as well as bits from a few science documentaries (you've might have seen it before - otherwise have a look):

I believe it is no accident that the universe is structurally similar to a brain. It's a theme repeated at many levels of existence, from the miniscule to the colossal.

[edit on 15/4/09 by Evasius]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
In terms of complexity of interconnections, apparently, there are more neuronal interconnections in the human brain and nervous system, than there are molecules, in the entire universe.

So if it can be shown, say through sacred geometry, that consciousness underlies the entire construct, then your brain or mind is like a dot within a larger sphere of universal consciousness, with the capcity to explore ever increasing degrees of self conscious awareness, forever.

I think God is willing to share His eternal kingdom in part so that He can never be accused of being the universes biggest narcissist!

Surely we cannot count down from an infinite series, to the present, and therefore, we do exist within an eternally unfolding present moment from which there is no escape..!

I'm ok with that. How about you?

[edit on 15-4-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
great thread and lots of infomation flying here, its great.
Interesting point about the brain and that it could be linked to the universe.
I believe and read about the universe is a bubble and in a cycle and wonder if we are multi-verses, its theorised the multi-verses are lots of bubbles floating about, the we must be in something else too if we are lots of bubbles floating, what we floating in?

does it get bigger and bigger and well infinite?
just like the old point of view, with the ants in their little universe.

also if as theorised, the universe is shaped like a douhnut, and we are on the surface of the ringed doughnut
whats inside the doughnut? i dont quite get it.

also if we are, our universe is shaped like a doughnut, we could in theory, go round the doughnut and come back on ourselves, yes?

its mind boggling and could chat all night about our existence and th universe.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
For those of us that are Lovecraft readers, it makes you think...what is out there? Could our mind even comprehend it?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I think a lot about this problem with infinity. Can infinity exist!

Well our mind can logically comprehend that something can't ever be made from nothing. Something always has to be made from something.

Even if something should come from nothing, there has to be a explanation for it.

If you are a evolutionist or scientist you have to agree to this. Your work depends on it.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join