The universe is big - [IMAGE]

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by meremortal

Talk about perspective,boggles the mind.

The number one priority of humanity,should be exploration.but unfortunately we all caught up in what is truly a small insignificant world.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

Is it enough speculation for you to imagine how big the universe is, and how easily it could be for that drakes equation to be an understatement?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
This is not the first time I've seen this, but every time I do, I'm amazed almost to the point of weeping. Amazing. Starred and flagged.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhotonEffect
That the universe went through all of this trouble to be so huge and so microscopic, while not missing one iota of detail in it's perfect design of life is truly incomprehensible.

You have to ask yourself why.

This is just my opinion, since we can't know for sure, but I think it was for fun, and well, just because.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I have a quick question for the science people here, which may appear dumb, but I don't think it is in reality.

So there's infinite stars, all shedding their light all around us, with the light eminating from all points, from all different times - therefore, why is it, that the night sky is not just about completely white with the light of them all. Why do we percieve the darkness in between?

Also, I just wanted to point out for those who are thinking about our tinyness by comparison, that modern science has pretty much proven that we live within an acausal, transluminally interconnected (instanteneous now) NON-LOCAL, holographic universe. In other words, everything around you, and you yourself, is a "chip off the old block" so to speak, and thus, we are not "small" by any stretch of the imagination, although the bigness of what surrounds us does exceed what we can fathom with our selective faculty of reasoning.

For more on proof of non-locality, check out "Bell's Theorem".

P.S. Imagine what it might be like to be a physicist-cosmologist on a planet who's civilization is tens of MILLIONS of years in advance of our own. Betcha those guys or gals, or whatever.., are the "high priests" of that planet's "religion", and would they believe in "God"?

[edit on 15-4-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

Wow! That was so amazing. Thank you for posting this, that pic went right into my favorites folder. Sometimes it feels so good to be insignificant.....

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Know what makes me unique and special amongst all this incredible, unimaginable vastness?

Of all the things and/or beings that could possibly exist, have ever existed, or ever will exist, I am the only one who fathered my two beautiful children... for whom I have more love than the size of this gorgeous universe. When my kids were little I explained to them about infinity and infinitessimal as best I could. They caught on to the concept very quickly and grew up to be brilliant kids. But the one thing that always gave them great solace and joy and security was the knowledge that their father loved (and still does) them "infinity much".

Well, at least that's the way I think about things and that's what makes me significant. That's what makes each of you incredibly significant too. Only you are the mother or father of that beautiful baby and now you understand infinity.

[edit on 15-4-2009 by Albertarocks]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Albertarocks,

You my friend also know God better than anyone I've ever encountered.

sorry for multi-posting but I just had to say something.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
holy mackerel. we live in a humungous universe!!!! makes me think now there HAS to be other intelligent life out there.

thanks for posting this great stuff. G.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Awesome images

I really appreciate the learning experience, w00t!
I think this reality is just the tip of the iceberg too, there must be alot out there

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSecret

Originally posted by ZeroGhost
Behind the Deep Field images of galaxies we can see, with enhancement, they found what they called the "Blue Wall". So dark in the distance only faint blue light gets through. It is a solid wall of nothing but galaxies.

Solid galaxies all around us, billions, with billions of stars each as far and farther than we can see.
ZG

sorry but never heard of the "Blue Wall"... where's the reference to that?

I really tried to find it before I posted, but gave up and just recited from memory. Sorry.

I was imaging and researching for a science encyclopedia and going through tons of material from all the deep space research imaging labs I could find.

I remember reading an article where they did enhancement in between the galaxies in the Deep Field distances and could barely image faint blue galaxies. They where everywhere solid according to the astronomers doing the imaging. I saw the enhancements and sure enough there where more galaxies. WAY more. This was several years ago and I don't remember the source as I was deep in image research. But who could forget that?

If I find it I will post it. It would have been very cool to show.

ZG

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

I think I was just called ignorant,but have never heard it put so eloquently

I almost don't feel insulted,guess how it's presented does matter after all.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Thu Apr 16 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
oh!

you are so amazed, but in the same time you are ignoring some
hard facts that makes this, what you call 'huge universe',
in fact very small...

link

no star and no flag for ignorance

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Galactic SUPERCLUSTERS!

universe-review.ca...

Seems the galaxies themselves formed clusters of galaxies!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Amazing.
I had to post a link on face book to show others .

thanks

"One must die to know the truth."
-battlestar galactica

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Thu Apr 16 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
wow that is amazing, to think a star can be that big.... imagine how many planets can be around that star... and how big those planets could get and still be able to support life.... and i wonder if any stars would orbit around that star with planets around them?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Every time I put it back into perspective it amazes me again and again.

Looking at just how truly vast the universe is... well, nothing makes me cry, but this almost makes me shed a tear.

The universe is so absolutely incredible... and we are so insignificant.

Size isn't a good gauge of someone/something's significance, the largest thing in the multiverse is likely the smallest thing, namely, the atom - or even smaller, the ultimaton

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by donhuangenaro

What you found that blew your self importance up so high you could call someone else ignorant is only part of the story. I've read such material and variations before.

We are in the realm of theoretical science. NOTHING is known for sure. None of the current theories are bullet proof. We do not yet know what Quasars are, let alone their distances. The article you cited is also based on theory that is contested by other scientists.

Quasars could be "white holes" a time reversal of a Black Hole. The particles and radiation coming from that could be coming from another universe, or somewhere else in our own universe so far that when we see the particles the redshift is massive because it came from beyond space time in the core of a black hole and out a white hole. So?

Quasars used to be thought to be at the greatest distances known due to the redshift, but redshift/blueshift is inaccurate. I used to read science and astronomy books that said Quasars had the energy of several galaxies coming out of an area the size of the Earth. But we know they are closer now. Within galaxies we can see. We don't know anything for sure about them, or neutron Stars, Cepheid variables, black holes....

We are best guessing with physics that is wholly insufficient to the task. We do not even understand what is in the core of our own Sun. We have theories, but some of the particle emissions are not as the theories would speculate.

So in essence you and I and the smartest astronomers and cosmologists on Earth are as ignorant as the OP.

People in anti-matter houses shouldn't throw matter.

I never believed in a Big Bang either. When we see the horizon, we are not so silly to think it is the end of the Earth. Why assume such when we simply reach the event horizon of our understanding?

ZG

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
This is the reason why space exploration cannot be approached realistically without some sorts of time-traveling technology, or a way to bend space and time to the will of the explorers... until then, we're just like ants trying to explore the Pacific ocean on a floating leaf.

I wonder if there's any point at space exploration, since it's so immense that it'll take us millennias just to explore our own galaxy.

new topics
top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join