It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let The South Leave!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
ummm... OK I think you'll find the only 'Real American's' as you put it had their land stolen by us Brits...

And if you ask anyone in those North Eastern states of yours chances are 1/2 of them take more pride in being of Irish, Scottish or some other such European descendants.

Truth is we traveled half way across the world and with the cunning use of a flag claimed the territory from the Real Americans - they did have some reservations though.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
If the south were to leave they would be overrun with people moving there. I would be one of the multitude. In fact I wish I had that option now.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I was asked to a Klan Meeting. ...Of course, the person doing the asking never asked again once I said I was Catholic.

Ironically, they both wear long robes and pointy hats and prance around crosses. The difference being one cross is ablaze. I love pointing out hypocrisy.

Back OT:

It is obvious the OP was stoking the flames. In that respect, he was successful albeit misguided. I generally fall prey to such traps. But I am working on it. Other people can't "make" you feel hostility. It is only we who "allow" ourselves to succumb.

Ignorance abounds cloaked in the anonimity of internet chat rooms,
and for some, the human gene pool only offers a shallow end.

Peace out....I got the meds balanced today.

Regards......KK

[edit on 8-4-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I lived near Huntsville AL for 9 years.

I've been here for about a half-century.

You're partly right, but partly misinterpreting things too. I have been asked to join the KKK twice. I gave the same response both times: "I don't need your club; you wanna join me?" That shut the guy up real quick.

But that's the exception. In 9 years, you were asked to a meeting once. In 50, after growing up here, I have been asked to join twice. We're at what, one idiotic invitation every 25 years? I'd say that's good odds.

As for the churches, that's sort of what I was talking about in my last post; there is a different culture here. Church is typically a large part of the social circles, so obviously people who want to talk to you will be curious what church you attend. It's no different than asking elsewhere if you hang out at Starbucks or Krispy Kreme after work. Sure, they'll tell you all about their religion, but that's something about religions everywhere. I guarantee you if you had answered with something like "I don't go to church, but I like to bowl on Sunday nights", they would have taken that as an invitation to later go bowling with you.

Racism? Yeah, it's around here some, just not to the extent I see it in other areas (like Bordentown).

Sometimes you have to look beyond the words to get the meaning. And anyway, sorry you didn't like it down here, and I hope you're happy in the Mid-Atl.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JMasters

Cause we in the north east founded this country. Those Founding Fathers you keep going on and on about? Who do you think those wig-wearing lacy-shirt sporting revolutionaries were?

Last I checked, Jamestown is still in Virginia, and Virginia is still considered to be a "Southern" state.

And those Founding Fathers like Washington and Jefferson (for starters)? Virginians.

Nice try though...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JMasters

And of course lets not forget who destroyed the Union!

you did, when you started yelling at people for things done over 200 years ago. NO ONE here, or on earth for that matter was living back then, so what the hell is your problem? who crapped on your sunday?

You seriously sound like a NWO disinfo agent bent on ripping our country apart at the seams. this shouldnt be a pissing match about who is better, because we are all equal, except meth heads and people who beat kids and women. Take value and stock in your fellow man, because one day, we will meet again. I hate posting this, because its adding fuel to the fire, but PLEASE think before you type, or, if that is unagreeable, come on down to North Carolina and see first hand how idiotic your statements are.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Looking at the 'Big Picture':

Racism isn't something confined merely to southern USA. It's an almost universal ideology that gets mixed up with all kinds of other ways to pidgeonhole people, such as tribalism, regionalism and even politics to a degree.

Racism, in the purest sense of the word, is the notion that it is possible to seperate humanity into groups; how smart they are based on general features and skin colour.

But, the problem with such reasoning is that the differences mentioned are from diets and the geographical regions that people live in.

That ideology stems from the 1600's and colonialism:

The Idea of Races

"Race" first appeared in the English language around the 17th century. North Americans began to use the term in their scientific writings by the late 18th century. Racism was developed and popularized by scientists in the 19th century, as they were regarded as purveyors of truth. At the time this ideology also explained political and economic conflicts in various parts of the world and legitimized the dominant role of British capitalism in the world economic system. Racism is universal and is evident in many different ethno-racial groups. It is not limited to white groups.

www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com...

Racism is about dividing and conquering but has nothing to do with any real science. In a way, this thread is about pidgeonholing anyone living in the southern states based on predominant religious morals and political affiliations. You could even go so far as to say it's the influence of the British, Spanish and French Empires that are still affecting regions of North America.

Further to that is the tribalism that was prevalent before the Europeans ever set foot on the continent. That, too, still lingers to this day.

The sooner we wake up to the bogus BS being generated to keep us divided, the better off we'll be, not just in the Americas, but all over the world.

Might take another 1000 years, though, sadly.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dinamo
not from USa but had to comment

when i said that military binds people together i was right

OP should be in military for a time to see that brave and honest people from all states would cover his back

judging people from what part of a country they are - hmh... i would say that you are more smallminded than anybody you dont like

You are so right. Im a proud member of the US Military, born and raised in the south. It doesnt matter where you're from. YOu always have your comerads back no matter what. I dont care if your from Guam, Texas, Washington, Maryland Ohio, New York, New Hampshire, or even California. We are all americans, we are all people of the same nation, the same world, and yet its people like the OP who fuel Americas downfall. The unending spiral of hate and menace, between countrymen.
for you Dinamo for pointing this out.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JMasters

I'm from the first State to Secede the Union & you sir sound more Redneck Racist than anyone back home. You sure that your last name isn't Thurmond?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
As I read this post and some of the responses, my AMERICAN soul bleeds; have we not at this late and dangerous moment in our collective destiny understood that ‘We the People’ are not the enemy? Those that would steal our birth right and leave us as slaves in our own land love having us form our firing squads in circles, as it keeps our united fire from ever hitting that which should be our target, those that are working to subject the United States to a one world government.

Let all those who believe in the documents that gave us our freedom set aside our petty regional differences. Let the blood of the Southern farmers who bled next to Northern merchants and store keepers call from the ground to remind us of the one cause that united them and still unites us: LIBERTY! Let us join together and with one American voice proclaim that WE WILL NOT BE SLAVES; that we are united with ONE DESTINY, ONE CAUSE AS ONE PEOPLE. Let us speak to the forces that would drag us into a global government hell that this Republic and UNION shall stand! Join the Tea Party Protest Movement and stand with me on April 15!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by smokehouseslim
"Redneck Racist"?

Hey, I agree with your sentiments, but let's take it easy on the rednecks, OK? I have realized Foxworthy is right: there are rednecks in every corner of the world.

Heck, I have described New York City many times as whole mess of Yankee rednecks.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Since the OP never bothered to come back after starting this meant to be inflammatory thread, I'm asking why the mods haven't designated as simply a trolling attempt and acted accordingly?

BTW, I'm very proud of most of the responses on this post. Too bad you actually had to come here and make them.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
The OP is wrong.

It's not so much the north/south against each other.

It's urban areas versus rural areas.

If you haven't noticed...if you look at a map...red states are directly in the middle of the country..the least populated part of the country.

It's about population density. City vs. country...and it's in every state.

Trying to draw an imaginary line of north/south is ridiculous.

Perfect point David.

And in fact, even as a so called "liberal" here on ATS, I can attest that this is indeed the ideological conundrum which causes me to champion for certain aspects of extreme states rights due to their economic and sociological makeup. For example:

-Hello I live in Manhattan. Obviously we don't hunt here on the sidewalk and everyone with a gun is up to no good.

-Hello I am from North Dakota. You want to limit my guns! What do you know about my guns? I'm not bothering anyone! Go away!

Simplistic example, I know.
However, to define elitism I would say as a former NYer city-dwellin' and country'livin are very different. The cities (the "elitists") say "Hey! We've got all the cool stuff! The business! The education! The money! The culture! Heck, NY is like the capital of the world! As long as it can't cause physical harm we gotta let everyone do what they want."

Then you get the "city-livin' pride" thing goin on....yes, its snobby. But it can be justified by those who live there. And it gets snarky.....
And you see so many of the Democratic persuasion because they have to operate their dwelling by giving $$$ to make things not go pear shaped! So they say "hey, I have $7 million dollars. The government can take their share because I don't want everything falling to bits. Why can't these country people part with their small amount of the bill? They don't have to pay NYcity rent! Their cost of living is pennies on our dollar! How Selfish and Backward! Arn't these the same places that want guns to kill animals, and the same places where there is little tolerance for LGBTs and other races? Ugh!"
And then you go on your dreaded annual family vacation to see Aunt Beatrice in Oklahoma and you're like AHHH theres absolutely nothing to do here! How many Sonics and WalMarts do these people need!

***that is not my personal opinon, just a little insight into what I hear on a daily basis***

And that is my explanation. I admit I would not call it racist-I would call it elitist. And that was the reasoning I have deduced from all I have experienced in my life and the lives of others.

So if I lived in the country I would feel isolated from that style of living and henceforth very in control of MY living situation. I would be more adapt to solve my own problems. Nobody is going to help me! I would be resourceful-probably take pleasure in the "little things". And all of a sudden people want to take away MY guns! That I earned! Raise MY taxes? You only come around here when you want something. And due to less dense population and relative self-sufficiency why on earth would I give a bunch of politicians a thousand miles away MY MONEY.

And that is my analysis(rant) of the great cultural divide. How do we solve it?
I don't know!
I want to however!
I have no idea how to make both sides understand each other.

And you know what thats why so many kids who grow up in red states want to venture to NY or LA to "see the world" A la Michael J Fox. Also, that might be the reason you seen some "city folk" retire and get outa there and build a house in the country to finally get away from it all.

And P.S OP-
As a current South Floridian I would like to add that I know we built on swamps but we also built on tropical islands and its only fair that if you send all your Northerners down here to continue to drive like they are on the Jersey Turnpike you will continue to help with our natural disasters (that we mostly pay for ourselves mind you).

*end of diatribe*

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Since the OP never bothered to come back after starting this meant to be inflammatory thread, I'm asking why the mods haven't designated as simply a trolling attempt and acted accordingly?

Ordinarily, we'd frown on an in-thread question like that and ask the member to take it to the "Issues" thread or use the Complaint/Suggestion button. But in this case, I'll respond. Sometimes it's valuable to permit something like this to stand just to have the original author own it in public. As long as members can discuss the preposterous nature of a thread like this one within the T&C, it fits nicely in the denial of ignorance theme. Who knows? Maybe the thread author will actually learn something.

BTW, I'm very proud of most of the responses on this post. Too bad you actually had to come here and make them.

Exactly.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JMasters

Interesting take on the if you are not a far left liberal you are a racist routine.

Give it up. Nobody worth worrying about is buying into it. Gross bigotry from the anti-bigot patrol?

[edit on 4/8/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I love Virginia! I grew up in Washington (state) and lived in Chicago for a few years. All these places have their pros and cons. If someone comes down south and doesn't like it, I'm sorry. I guess it's not for everyone. But, please be careful not to stereotype. I had a few bad experiences in Chicago, but I don't blame everyone who lives there. The place just wasn't for me. I love Virginia, so I live here. Why are some people trying to play the blame game? The south has many different regions and a great diversity. Yes, good and bad is everywhere--north, south, and everywhere in between.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Pamie]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I have to hand it to you OP..... you've certainly gleaned the proper formula for phrasing a topic in a manner that incites division between people as well as racking up herds of ATS points....... especially impressive for a new member.

These tactics influence people to either side with you or argue your point, which of course, is absurd in my opinion --- to assume that the set of all people within a certain geography share the same values. Even worse is that you assign those values for them. I'd feel more like debating your points if you'd have had the sand to state them as your opinions, which of course, they are, rather than "the way it is."

Selah.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

In NY you can cuss your neighbor out for any reason at anytime, and all he'll do is cuss back. Try that in some areas of Alabama and you've got a fight to the death on your hands.

Being from Texas I know what you mean. You have to watch your tongue unless you can take them. I used to enjoy arguing and cussing people out when I lived in NYC because I knew that is all that would come out of it, talk. It was fun. You might even get your arse kicked in the south for honking your horn at the wrong person or get followed home. I forgot about this when I moved back from NYC because people tend to take their time driving and have almost gotten in the mix a few times because of it. I also miss playing chicken with the cabbies.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by timewalker]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join