It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electricity Grid in U.S. Penetrated By Spies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Lets slow down here a moment folks and look at why clamping down on the internet connectivity of the people is going to precisely nothing for the government and in the long run hamper them. Firstly its economical suicide; look at how many jobs today depend heavily on the internet in order to function in a profitable and efficient manner. Then lets look at the boom in online shopping, if you strip that away from the people that is going to negatively impact the economy in a huge way.

So sure we could turn it all off but then how will Google, Amazon, Microsoft, or any number of smaller outfits turn a profit when their main avenue is closed? Seriously folks the internet is just as important to the government as it is to us, perhaps more so because of the way its revolutionized the business world; the more money made the more taxes collected and the fatter the wallets of congressmen and civilians alike

Secondly if the government fails to secure its networks and systems no manner of restriction on the people or the internet as a whole will keep them safe. "Shutting down" the internet in this context would be like cutting off your leg at the knee in order to stop a spider bite on your finger from taking your whole hand; completely ignoring the real problem and going out into left field to waste time and money.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

As I said I'm not a techie, I ostensibly marketed and sold the co-lo and managed servers, but I got to know the guy's pretty well and learned some interesting stuff about how secure (or NOT) networks truly can be.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

i have to agree with helig that the "gumment" does rely on the internet, both from info and benefiting from the revenue made.

also too, they could create a closed network like austrailia is doing where the government is compartmentalizing the internet with full control, then that's uber scary.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by merkaba93

Nice thought. Yet we are prob. not being told everything about the attack, prob. more serious then what they are reporting. If they hack into our reactors and shut them down, then well not only will hysteria be evoked into the populace but networking will be at a crawl. Communications will be in a primitive mode. Most people nowadays cannot function without electricity or our computers that well more or less is the engine of our economy and MILITARY. To be hacking into this to find out how to break is severe. Also if the government wanted to black out the internet (which is nuts) ecommerce is propelling our economy now in the 21st century looks more along the lines of a transformation in the way we the consumer shop in the future, to take a money making market so to say and close it down, because of whatever stupid reason is unethical to the value of business.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The Government infrastructure would be in tact even if we were to be cut off of power.

The important things that run this country aren't connected to the internet, they are connected to what is referred to as the Dark Internet.
From Wikipedia: Dark Internet - The terms dark internet or dark address refer to any or all of the unreachable network hosts on the Internet.
Wikipedia...

Thus meaning that even if the power were cut off from the main American population, we would still be relatively safe considering the Government would still have control. (I mean, obviously the Government has back-up generators. Considering how much money we spend on National Defense each year, I would be flabergasted to learn that they have no plan for such an attack.) Which, may or may not be a good thing depending on your perspective.

The Government has there own network of computers. Should we come under cyber attack, our infrastructure would be fine. It's just the main consumers and the few Government computers that were still connected ect would be affected.

However, if China or Russia did cut the power from us, it would be unfortunate for the rest of us to be stuck without power.

I'd say buy a gun and hope that it never comes to that.

[edit on 4/8/2009 by FadeToBlack]

[edit on 4/8/2009 by FadeToBlack]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
How about lets look at this another way...
Maybe just maybe the government is covering the power companies asses because they have been raising the rates so high we have people who can't afford power and now every one is getting pissed....This is just part of the power structure raping us. It was the government covering oil the last 2 years for price rises... Well here's the set up pitch for the power companies to turn the screws to us in the next couple of years... I dont buy this... This is comes on the heels of congress passing a 10 billion dollar computer defense budget...??? Come on they are creating a smoke screen so everyone will be thinking we need to spend this money...Man...it never ends our government is a piece of work???

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This is a good news / bad news deal.

The bad news, the power's out!

The good news, you can forget about buying Chinese made, mercury filled fluorescent bulbs. You can't turn them on.

The biggest threats to our power grid are the utility companies themselves. How long were the people of Kentucky without power due to an "ice storm" just a couple months back? This was not some terrorist damage this was a not so uncommon "ice storm". (Thank the lawd for global warming or I would expect Kentucky would be under a glacier by now!) By the way, the previous presidential moron got hammered for not going in against the State of Louisiana's wishes and helping out New Orleans in a timely fashion. And yet the current Moron in Chief did virtually nothing while tens of thousands were without power in the middle of winter and not a word was said. I think Obama characterized the Bush administration’s response as "unconscionable ineptitude". What third world crater are we living in when power can be out due to an "ice storm" for weeks on end? Ineptitude must be contagious. You get it in the oval orifice. Yeah I meant orifice. But I digress...

How is it that lengthy blackouts still occur? Are there no such things as "redundant systems"? It seems to me that the utility companies continue to squeeze us with higher bills without updating and proper maintenance of their systems. Other businesses are forced to keep up and yet these monopolies are exempt. Yes monopolies, as we can only imagine what a world of competing utility poles and cables would be like. And can anyone tell me why a power company, a virtually monopolistic entity, needs to run television ads? Who are these aimed at? Who are they competing with? There certainly aren't enough folks off the grid to warrant this. I must be missing something or are these in fact simply propaganda? Oh, I feel so much better that my utility company is there when I need it. Not!!!

When our power goes out, despite my better judgment, I phone in to the complaint line to let them know. And the scariest part is I am in fact letting them know as they never have a freakin' clue that anyone's power is out. In this day and age and I'm talking NY tri-state area here, they don't know when the power they supply is out. Is it just me or is this ludicrous? It's hard for me to get worked up over the Russian and Chinese threat because utility co ineptitude beats those threats hands down. Obama fired the head of GM but I suspect the head of Kentucky Utility Company or whatever the name of the offending utility was is still in charge.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I am usually not one to think things like this are flat out lies, but, in this case, I do not believe this story for a second. Our electric grid, as well as other major lines of infrastructure are protected by the DHS (Dept. Homeland Sec.). Either our counter-intel is very lax, or there is no way Russian and Chinese hackers are in our system.

This is fear mongering, pure and simple.

EDIT: And, if it was real... why not just hack them back. We have the best and the brightest in the world. Don't release this kind of information, just go back and show them who's boss. Sorry if this is a tad confrontational... but I expect we are at a far higher technological level (in reality) than anyone else on earth. So, don't tell me how vulnerable I am, just continue to protect me.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Iago18]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unmask The Deception
This is possibly a false flag event. Remember that Rockefeller and Obama want to shut down the internet, or at least control it. This "hack attack on the power grid" is all they would need to set their agenda in stone.

Not everything is a false flag; God, people are so naive

I want to know why they'd map the system, when they could easily just take out the grid with an EMP

Originally posted by Iago18
I am usually not one to think things like this are flat out lies, but, in this case, I do not believe this story for a second. Our electric grid, as well as other major lines of infrastructure are protected by the DHS (Dept. Homeland Sec.). Either our counter-intel is very lax, or there is no way Russian and Chinese hackers are in our system.

This is fear mongering, pure and simple.

That doesn't even make sense...so you mean that Russia or China could never come away from the U.S. with intelligence, or hack a computer system? Basically you mean that the U.S. government has the best and brightest from all walks of life...wrong. We maybe good, but we aren't perfect.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by yellowcard]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
My B/S meter is going off on this one, folks. If it looks like B/S, and smells like B/S, and draws flies like B/S, well then maybe it is B/S.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Our power here at my work place in Oregon flickered on and off twice within 1 hour today causing a bit of havoc on the test floor servers.

whether or not it's false flag ops or not, it still isn't good...no electricity...BLAM! back to the 1840s!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
maybe we should look at who the united states bought the software to run the grid from....hmm china....hmmmm russia...interesting

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Man why is this news? Slammer happened years ago. They shoulda cleaned up the ENTIRE mess then. I do think we rushed to put in and everything online - the INternet was designed to facilitate communication.

There is a push by the govt to scrap DNS (and all the BIND problems) and come up with a 'more secure' set of protocols for the internet. I do think Rockefeller has an agenda. I think that agenda is one of control of the masses, but i think it can be justified and looked over because there is some very real security issues.

If it were me, I'd CONSIDER designed a NEW network to run commerce and infrastructure that is more secure, and leave what we have for communication and news.

People could have ONE machine to chat with friends, read news, post videos, read email, browse stores for what they want, and another system entirely for completing commercial/financial transactions.

The grid should be on neither.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by hadriana]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
This sounds like another news story as of late designed to get us to accept and welcome the new legislation they are trying to pass through congress which will authorize the president to order any connection shut down due to security threats. I can't remember all the details (or if I even stated the latter correctly
) but here is the story...

Source

Remember last week when we were all supposed to be afraid that some worm was going to attack our computers on April Fool's day? This is what the MSM in conjuction with the gov't does when they want to get some legislation passed that will further take away our rights. They have all these news stories (whether they are plants or not, I don't know) designed to make us worry and think that the legislation is necessary to protect us. We will probably hear a few more stories like this one in the next couple days/weeks until it is passed.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Also, at the end of March, the idea of a false flag cyber attack was brought up by Alex Jones (sorry if someone already mentioned this, it's so hard to read ALL the posts)

Here's the story...

Source

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I refuse to buy this crap....They pull some shizzznet every time they are gathering in a close door congress session for some green back switching from one pocket to another. They pull a crap load of money out of the budget and allocated it for computer security...like 10 billion or so...Now not one word of this is being covered by any media except here in D.C. where they have to print the government budgets in the local papers...This is a smoke screen if I ever seen one....sorry just dont buy it at all......

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Have we considered that this is a strategic move in order to determine where there will be an attack, if there is one. I think we all would agree that communication, or lack there of is a target by any enemy. Cut the enemies communication and their organization will most likely falter. This could very well be a reconnaissance mission. A power play by the world's communist powers. Russia, China. N. Korea launching their missile at about the same time and supported by the same powers and the questionable Iran. Iran who is receiving Nuke parts via the Chinese, through an American banking, if I remember the story correctly. These are all interesting events by themselves, but too many connections IMO. Just allowing my thoughts to surface... Could be coincidence.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Doss930]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
If we have knowledge to build secret planes/jet with advanced technology, why is it that what we know/have we cant protect our electrical grid. I'm sure we have the technology to protect ourselves.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Anything can be hacked given time, knowledge and determination. I mean anything. Don't think it can't be because it can. The only safe route is to unplug it from the net.

Either way good info and this kind of reminds me of a fire sail as described in Die hard 4.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If we know it is Chinese(and a source of mine says it is) and there is an attack that is an act of war. If Obama had any nads he would make it clear now. I expect to hear nothing from him he's too buys kissing up to Europeans and muslims.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join