It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electricity Grid in U.S. Penetrated By Spies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Electricity Grid in U.S. Penetrated By Spies

online.wsj.com

WASHINGTON -- Cyberspies have penetrated the U.S. electrical grid and left behind software programs that could be used to disrupt the system, according to current and former national-security officials.

The spies came from China, Russia and other countries, these officials said, and were believed to be on a mission to navigate the U.S. electrical system and its controls. The intruders haven't sought to damage the power grid or other key infrastructure, but officials warned they could try during a crisis or war.

"The Chinese have attempted to map our infrastructure, such as the electrical grid," said a senior intelligence official. "So have the Russians."

The espionage appeared pervasive across the U.S. and doesn't target a particular company or region, said a former Department of Homeland Security official. "There are intrusions, and they are growing," the former official said, referring to electrical systems. "There were a lot last year."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-4-2009 by Sparkey76]

Mod Edit: Review this Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The EXACT Headline

[edit on 4/8/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This is serious man, if they can hack into the grid, what next?
Satelites, defence computers?

its like a big game of chess, trying to expose a weak spot before they pounce and have you in check mate.

could this be the early signs of WW3?

well who knows but its worth keeping an eye on.

of course Russia are denying it and its hard to trace back as state sponsored but this is very serious.

Can they control nukes with hacking into defence computers and fire nukes without having to make a shot of their own?

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/8/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparkey76

Real easy problem solver here...GO TO MANUAL OVERRIDE! All systems have one in case of fire and or natural disasters. In the case of manual override the system would revert to being run by a set of human operators and not the computers at all.
It is a very easy fix only problem is they would have to hire back the thousands they have fired since putting everything under computer control.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Thank you, whoever helped with my grammar on headline.

Its an easy problem to solve if we had that old system, but we dont.

All the world is controlled by computers and satelites now.

If they shut those down, checkmate I believe.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I've got a valid question.

Why is your electrical grid connected to the internet in the first place?

I mean, lo be it for me to tell technicians they can't chat while they work, but connecting the same terminals that control the grid to the internet seems like asking for trouble to me.

Well... whatever, if the grid comes down, it's your own fault for being stupid.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
why computers which are in control of any infrastructure are connected to the internet is beyond me, since the internet is nothing more the TCP/IP network can't they just create a separate network that is used for these systems. I mean seriously why do computers that control the power grid need to be connected to the WORLD WIDE WEB!

Next thing you know we will find out the computers that control our NUKES are connected to AOL!

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
No firewall is impenetrable.

This is something to watch.

We will see it happen one day. Be it, electromagnetic storm or hacker, our power grid is the most vulnerable part of our nation.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparkey76

I wouldnt worry too much about it, its nothing that the west arent doing to them.
I read somewhere that the when iraq govt purchased hp printers or computers a few years before the second iraq war that the us govt had them modded to give co-ordinates when activated, so as to locate govt & military installations for use as targets.
If it was true or not i cannot say as i cannot find a link but its along the same lines.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
We don't name call here...

Let's stay on topic please..

Semper

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
My goodness, and this is on the legacy grid. imagine what this could be like if we had smart grids or international power grids. Instead of rolling black outs there could be extortion.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by cropmuncher

Why oh why are governments so obsessed with HP printers?!

You can't imagine the amount of HP printers I had to mod in my previous employment... it was astounding.

Half of our procedures didn't have to be updated when HP released new models because it was simply a new body on the old chassis, same control board, same interface board, same power board...

... and we never seemed to have enough toner to test them once we were done, lol... most HP toner cartridges may look big, but they don't carry much.

And no... I wasn't involved with installing tracking units on those Iraqi printers, and I don't know who did. My job was quite the opposite in nature.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Here is a question for all you current and future poster on here.

How many appliances are required to be synchronized with your (individual country) regulations and compliances.

Perhaps your T.V., DVD, VIDEO, PC, IPOD, Cell Phone, Email Service, Web Hosting Admin Panel, dedi server...and this list could drag on.

Simple Example:
(Why is it that your microwave oven is always loosing the time which you had preset). Oh okay let me here it, its some form of distortion from the actual appliance itself and that we/I as a consumer are not be blamed but the actual manufacture, who has foreseen this and as stated in his Warranty , he cannot be held liable in a court of law.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
This is possibly a false flag event. Remember that Rockefeller and Obama want to shut down the internet, or at least control it. This "hack attack on the power grid" is all they would need to set their agenda in stone.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I feel like I should comment on this because it made me think of something strange that happened to me about 12:00 am tonight.(April 8th) I had gotten off of work and was reading some new star trek reviews on ain't it cool news when my computer speakers started playing some random commercial for lysol disinfectant wipes, then suddenly went silent. I was not listening to the radio, I do not own a television, and my computer did not have any programs running except the aforementioned website, which had no advertisements for lysol anywhere. This is ain't it cool news. There are not likely to be any soccer-moms perusing that website for the latest news about the new wolverine movie.

Is this evidence of surveillance?

The only thing that I can attribute it to other than my possibly paranoid ideas about this being some kind of a cross-up in surveillance is that I have a cricket wireless internet modem and I picked up some kind of a weird phone cross-up.

I have nothing to hide, and I am proud of being an American who reads, investigates, speaks, and writes my opinions to the best of my ability. The best any spy is going to get out of me is a song that might make them think about their place in the world. This spying bull# has got to stop. It is very unpatriotic.

[edit on 02/21/09 by daeoeste]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
We all need to become less dependent on power or it is indeed "checkmate".
Take the bloody grid off the internet, and invest in alternative energy sources.
We cannot be so dependent on something that if destroyed would destroy ourselves. It's not smart, we need to wisen up, fast.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Unmask The Deception

true , its possible its a false flag with all this NWO stuff going on.
It dont add up really does it, having an electric grid connected to the internet.

Is its a false flag and a ploy to cut normal people off from other people?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

HAHA that is strange.. I had the same thing happen to me... I would say around 12o'clock also...
I was setting here reading an article, a page with just words.My comp started freezing, I was able to scroll all the way down then back up, so I know there were NO NOISE makers. I hate those things. So the page froze and All I could hear was something that had scenes from movies radio shows guns going off, a bunch of crazy stuff.. I called my BF in so i could make sure I wasn't hearing things,,lol.. He said " I guess you pee'd someone off.. My comp does a lot of Weird thing since I've begun to comment more and more in places..
IDK There is a YouTube video that is in the sense of how my experience went,,,The Tree of Liberty - War on Tyranny - Patriots Vs Loyalist...
A Youtube friend sent it to me a 2 weeks after I heard that, So I left him a comment like DUDE,, I so heard something like this.Mine was more scary.

It is a shame all has been planned, and these things are happening for that reason.
Crazy times,,, Peace & LOVE

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Sounds to me like they got infected with the Conficker virus and rather than take the blame for it, they are blaming it on the "spies". Didn't we go through this same thing last year?

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
But how do you know it is a false flag op? what if it is real and everyone is thinking nah its the goverment trying to trick us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join