It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bring Your Pets to Bug Out

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Though I have been known to eat most anything. I'm a Chef during the day & my other chef friends always get freaked out because of this fact. Case in point fish eyes are great especially the little pocket of fluid right behind the cornea, its very tasty. & fish eye soup or chowder or bisque taste just like you made it with scallops (thats what they taste like to me) Small birds are great because you can open roast them & consume the whole thing, small game & fish are easier to catch than big game. Plus they go well when seasoned with herbs or roots or certain leaves that you can find most anywhere. Some bugs are great though i'd much rather have small game or fish cooked over an open fire. Raw fish is tasty too but you can serviche' it with either lemon or lime juice. Actually any citric fruit will serviche' fish or shell fish of any kind. I love it. Grains are good raw or pounded into a powder along with some powdered milk & water then formed & cooked over an open fire, & you have makeshift carbs or bread. Unleavened but still tasty, especially when you add some herbs or other tasty foiliage to it even fruits.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by smokehouseslim

I'm not a chef, i just pretend to be
I love to cook and have come up with some crazy concoctions while camping. But that's not the real point of this thread. It's a matter of wether or not to abandon pets or try to keep them to when you bug out.

And not neccesarily as a food source.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokehouseslim
If any of you all were true survivalist you could live of the land for a very long period of time without consuming one iota of protein. Of course theres always the looting of empty stores, but that could put one in harms way, as i'm sure others would be doing the same thing as they to would have no idea how to really live off the land. Good luck with that

Thats not Survivalism, thats Bushcraft or Wilderness Survival, People often make that mistake.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
The difference between cats and dogs is simple...

Dogs have masters

Cats have staff

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
my afghan goes with me. they can hunt,and chase down anything aroung my area.
and they are definatly too thin to even think about eating.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

You know, I almost made you the first person I ever put on my ignore list. But then I realised that within the context of this thread, you have some valid points.

I cannot however, condone your attitude toward felines in general. Perhaps you were bitten as a child...

Even in a SHTF situation ALL of our pets need to be given a chance to survive.

I will take my house cat who has given me nothing but love her entire life with me. If she goes "mercenary" on me, then that's her bussiness.

You sound like someone who has some anger issues to work out. I wish you all the best in that endevour.

PEACE and LIGHT to you!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by HERACAT

You know, I almost made you the first person I ever put on my ignore list. But then I realised that within the context of this thread, you have some valid points.

I cannot however, condone your attitude toward felines in general. Perhaps you were bitten as a child...

Even in a SHTF situation ALL of our pets need to be given a chance to survive.

I will take my house cat who has given me nothing but love her entire life with me. If she goes "mercenary" on me, then that's her bussiness.

You sound like someone who has some anger issues to work out. I wish you all the best in that endevour.

PEACE and LIGHT to you!!!

Rats and cats are generally feral vermin, thats just nature, people keep rats as well as cats as pets, each to their own. But no one with a cat would get into any of our survival groups retreats after a collapse because just like rats they are disease carriers. Dogs at least can be trained to guard and hunt and carry goods and they can safely be left outside. I dont have any issues with cats or rats I just live in the real world, where as a maltreated dog will sadly still remain loyal until the end a cat will go where ever the food is. Its the self denying cat onwers with the anger issues, because they seem to thing that cats are in some way different to rats or squirrels. I dont mind cats at all, with fries and onions

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre0o0
my afghan goes with me. they can hunt,and chase down anything aroung my area.
and they are definatly too thin to even think about eating.

Afghan dog/ or asylum seeker ?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
ive got 2 american bulldogs they are coming with me if i have to go there cuming the can carry alot of gear and would fight for me without question and im sure they could hunt given the chance

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Originally posted by simonecharisse
Whatever happens in this life, my two cat children are with me. I have already gone through unbelievable things to keep them with me. Don't let ME see you being mean to a cat or other animal, or you will get maced.

As I very politely asked my neighbours, Please keep your cats in your own property then they can not slaughter the song birds nesting in my garden, or crap in my childs sand pit, If you let them come into other peoples property uninvited then just like a rat they would be shot. A cat in your home is a loving pet to be cherished, A cat tresspassing into someone else property killing bird and pulling gold fish from ponds are vermin. The sole absolute responsibility for the cat lies with its owner, same as with dogs.

As a cat owner I agree with you on this, but shooting them is a bit much! Cat's in urban and suburban areas need to be housepets....period! There are too many dangers out there for cats, and mean humans are some of the biggest behind cars. While I know my cats would love to be outside, it is for their own protection and they have a pretty good life.

You cannot train a cat to stay out of a neighbors sand box, pond, or off their cars and I could see where that would infuriate someone not a fan of cats. My uncle was a vet and he was the first one to tell people about the injuries he had seen when people allow their cats to roam, it is best if they are kept indoors in urban and suburban areas.

Oh yeah, I have 4 and only one of them is tough enough to make it on the road or in a wilderness situation, he was a feral kitten I got young enough to domesticate and he thinks he is a human. My others are too pampered and I hate to think of what would happen to them. I will cross that bridge when the time comes, knowing me I would at least give it a real try to make it with all of them. At least cats feed themselves in the wild.

[edit on 4/6/2009 by redhead57]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by batch
ive got 2 american bulldogs they are coming with me if i have to go there cuming the can carry alot of gear and would fight for me without question and im sure they could hunt given the chance

I hear that , my dog will give his life ,

I trust him more than any non-family memeber

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

If one survives by doing it then a horse is a horse is a horse. Of course I have been known to craft some bush's in my lifetime

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seany

Originally posted by lastmanstanding
It may seem a bit nasty but if S REALLY HTF you can eat em

Id rather hunt and eat humans before my dog goes on the spit

I have more compassion for him

Well, having read about those who have actually eaten human flesh, the consensus is that it's fairly rotten as a food, but I'm sure at the time, when you're boiling and cooking every scrap of meat till it's rendered tasteless anyway to rid it of disease or when it's not the freshest, it would do quite well.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

where as a dog can haul a small trailer or carry a small pack, provide perimeter security, detect toxic odours early and are edible in a crisis,

Ahh so thats why paris hilton has a handbag pooch. To detect toxic odors when she's showing everyone her breakfast.

oO

I can not see the point in keeping a creature that kills for pleasure, carries the same diseases and fleas as rats, can not be trained, will walk across food preparation surfaces, will slaughter and food birds etc.
But each to their own.

I agree, so we will stick to eating humans then. The useless things you just described.

Heh, ironically, my cat just jumped on me and started purring.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by simonecharisse
Whatever happens in this life, my two cat children are with me. I have already gone through unbelievable things to keep them with me. Don't let ME see you being mean to a cat or other animal, or you will get maced.

As I very politely asked my neighbours, Please keep your cats in your own property then they can not slaughter the song birds nesting in my garden, or crap in my childs sand pit, If you let them come into other peoples property uninvited then just like a rat they would be shot. A cat in your home is a loving pet to be cherished, A cat tresspassing into someone else property killing bird and pulling gold fish from ponds are vermin. The sole absolute responsibility for the cat lies with its owner, same as with dogs.

You do seem to have it in for cats. Because I've had neighbors dogs in my back yard. Does this rule apply? Shoot the rat?

Likewise, I would also apply it to anyone in my yard uninvited. Now where do you draw the line?

When little timmy's dog fetches the ball, sees my cat and chases it?

Anyway off topic, all I know is that if anyone ever touched one of my cats, they are the rats. And hammers tend to fix rat problems pretty good, as my grandfather used to do.

Now, on topic.... My poor ol' woofy woulda probly licked anything that came near her to death, and gone off like a pair of irish bagpipes doing it. Poor ol' girl. She did have that spark tho, protective.. just too used to love I guess, always bouncing around happy to see anyone, unless it was 2am and they were breaking into the car..

Miss ya Kimba..

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by HERACAT

Perhaps you were bitten as a child...

I was bitten by many cats and a couple of dogs as a child. I still have both. That doesn't have much to do with it.

I was never bitten by humans as a child, but i still don't like most of them

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
I was never bitten by humans as a child, but i still don't like most of them

Hahaha, I like that quote.

Good thoughts.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Forgive my ignorance, but what is BUG OUT?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by downinafrica

BUG OUT is term used to be ready to leave in a short notice , in case TSHTF

you need to have a BOB ready

BOB = bug out bag

TSHTF = The ---- Hits The Fan

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Seany

Thanks for the terminology, much appreciated.

One more question though, why would you have to BUG OUT?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join