It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bring Your Pets to Bug Out

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by downinafrica

We are in the Survival Section

So , being a conspiracy site, people in this section like to plan and share

plans in a "worse case situation"

NWO starts to round up people

Dieseases out of control

things that make you feel the need to separate yourself from society

"Better to have plans , and not use them, then no plans , and get

caught unprepared

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Seany

Okay..well in that case I will definately take my 2 Jack Russels, my Guinea Pig and brown house snake with ....and you! Perfect survival package.

No joke, thanks for the explanation.. I sincerely appreciate your patience.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by downinafrica

No Problem, most people on this site will take time to answer your questions

A question politely asked , will be politely answered

Enjoy the site

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
There's a working animal that I'm ashamed to say, as a Yorkshireman, have totally forgotten about...

T'ferret!

Rather than waste ammo and time setting up a hide to pot a few bunnies, put nets/bags over every hole of a rabbit warren, send down t'rascal, and ee'll flush t'buggers out and into the waiting net for you

T'lass did say I was 'lacking summat in t'trouser-department' and now I realise what she meant

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

So Smithy, being a native of the great nation of Yorkshire I have a question that only you and your fellow countrymen could answer.

"How many t'ferrets can you get down your trousers?"

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

As many as pints of t'best bitter I can down us neck

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I would for no money in the world leave my border alone.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
They rely on and trust us I'd sooner leave myself behind than any of my pets

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Belgiannewbie
I would for no money in the world leave my border alone.

i too have a border collie that means more to me than most humans

and i border/lab mix, he is my fav, but they both are with me

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
i have found that dogs that are not purebread are best for outdoor companions.
my family has 3 dogs.
one purebread chuhuahua a purebread German short hair and a german wire hair/blue healer
the cross is so loyal
the purebreads just run off and have to check everything possible and then some
the pure bread is a "hunting dog" but cant kill its own food only find it and not no what the hell to do with it.
the cross is superior when it comes to hunting.
it can sniff out anything and then eat it.
i used to have a kerlin bear dog with 1/4 pitbull but it got stolen by mexicans in a near buy orchard.
ive seen it kill coyotes and just walk away like is was nothing.
but it was the sweetest dog ever

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
My chihuahuas are definitly coming with me. Its my responsibility to take care of them and leaving them here to die would be inhumane. And there's no way I could live with myself if I did that. They are a part of my family and I love them.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
All i have is a toy mix
But great thread really got me thinkin

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I would most definitely be taking my horses. Fantastic pack animals, and their personalities are just something I couldn't leave to fend for themselves. Not knowing of their fate should I leave them would be worse than having to kill them myself.

The cats could come if they so chose. All four live outdoors at our mountain home - so they have the experience and necessities to survive. Fresh kill everywhere, with several creeks to stay well fed and hydrated.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seany

With all the methods and ways to Bug Out , no mention yet as to pets.

If I go anywhere , Im taking my dog with me, this guy a Border Collie/Lab

mix is loyal like no other. He would offer a form of protection as well as a

campanion at times of lonelyness . Theres no way I could leave him behind

fend for himself.

What are thoughts on bringing your pets ?

Just what the hell does bug out mean?

I would only take the pets which could be useful, like a large dog. Otherwise, sadly, they would have to die anyway, I could not care for them during the apocalypse.

I assume bug out has a specific meaning?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

"Bug Out" is leaving where you live/society/an area hit by situation X, and going to another area unaffected/to your prepared survival camp/going to the wilderness. Exactly what a bug out is will be dictated by the exact situation, as well as the planning and preparation of the person(s) involved. It could be as minor as being evacuated due to a storm, or as extreme as leaving society forever because the Flying Spaghetti Monster God has come back and is turning everyone into Tofu Meatballs.

Getting the heck out of Dodge is another American term for the same concept, as are 'Skeedadle' and 'Vamoose'

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Hmm... my case regarding bugging out with pets is a two facing one.

I have quite a few pets, including 4 dogs, 1 cat, 6 pet rats and a horse. I wouldn't take them all with me, it is just not feasible.

For one, my cat would have to fend for itself, it is in fact a semi-feral cat who mostly stays outdoors so that wouldn't be a problem. My rats I would euthanize; they won't live long anyway and only one I have managed to train it to respond to commands (come and shoulder sit).

The horse... It ii stabled a few miles from my house so it'd depend on the situation. If I can get to it it'd be great to use as a form of transport and in worst case scenario (WTWAYKIE) it'd be a good food source.

My dogs are definitely coming along. I have a Lab-Rottie mix who has been trained as a guard and attack dog. Then two wolf dog hybrids, one a Saarloos, one a Czechoslowakian. The Saarloos is a good tracker and the Czech a good guard dog and hunter. My last one is a Yorkshire Terrier, small but able to hunt (how many rats he's already caught...)
All but the smallest dog has been trained to carry their own BOBs, though not too much. And yes, I also have booties for them in case they need to go on rough terrain, as well as a vest when the season is not so forgiving.

What they have in their own BOBs, water (and purification tablets) + dry food, vaccine cards + medication if needed (no need as of yet), treats + one toy each, ID tag on their collar + a bandana (so many uses for it so I have at least 6 bandanas with me if I count the dogs' and each have their own blanket (small but enough and light weight).
I'd keep them on a leash while bugging out, even though all of them have had their obedience training (you just never know if something happens that makes the dog flee).
What I pack for the dogs in my own BOB is a first aid kit (blue coloured to prevent it from being confused with my own red coloured first aid kit), muzzles in case we're in a situation they are not allowed to bark and extra leashes + food.
edit on 2-9-2013 by Shini because: Spelling mistakes

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
We're "bugging in". It'd be impossible to take all our pets with us (ok, nearly impossible).

Right now, we've got 3 horses, 2 big dogs, 4 small dogs, 6 cats, 3 bunnies and 2 birds, and this doesn't include the 2 barn cats or 3 kittens we have to give away (just weaned).

We do have a 3 horse trailer, so we could load them, and other animals in the living area of the trailer, but that would really be a dire scenario.

Still, we do consider the animals in our preps though, and try to always have a month's supply of food onhand for each, or more. Obviously, long-term, the horses would have to just graze, and other animals would get scraps.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
aren't pets just a burden in a SHTF situation?

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I read this book called 'one second after' the plot was a major emp attack cripples america and the SHTF.

The antagonist, John had a family and 2 dogs that were also like family. Food was pretty much the most important resource and later in the book, 1 dog died of starvation and he gave the body to his neighbors to eat. Then sometime after that John and his family were so desperate for food he killed the remaining dog and made soup out of her to feed his own family... Unfortunately i could see myself doing that as well in desperation. .

Just some food for thought.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinduhand
aren't pets just a burden in a SHTF situation?

Depends on the intelligence and efficiency of your pet to do what it takes to survive by your side.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join