It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stewart to Limbaugh: 'Get the [Snip] out' of NYC

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I would like to do something unique and address the OP.
One of America's founding principles is the freedom of Speech. It is guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. In fact, the First Amendment :

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

allows for freedom of assembly.

Therefore, for someone to tell another to leave a state because of something they said violates the spirit of both freedom of speech and the right to peaceably assemble, where ever they wish.

I am quite concerned about the attacks on the Bill of Rights AND the Constitution in general.
Of course, according to the police in Missouri, that makes me a terrorist. So be it. I also support Ron Paul. Come and get me.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo67
classic liberal elitist..

why dont you start watching shows like history channel,discovery etc instead of comedy central or south park.

that tells me your under 30 and quite frankly some real world experience would be good for you.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by neo67]

Excuse me but I am over 50 have plenty of real world experience and I watch ALL of those channels... and your point is?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

classic liberal elitist..

why dont you start watching shows like history channel,discovery etc instead of comedy central or south park.

that tells me your under 30 and quite frankly some real world experience would be good for you.

Wait in the same post you accuse him of being a "liberal elitist" and of being immature and lacking world experience? Which is it?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
My, my, all this criticism of Rush. Pay him what he wants, its not easy to service the bottom feeders. That's his job. Think of what it would do to "your" conscience if you had to spew the stuff that comes out of his mouth day in and day out. The man needs the money to bolster his self worth.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Hey! Remember when John Stewart used to be funny?

Me neither.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I hate Polka Music but I don't want it censored.

Re: Jon Stewart

VITAL STATISTICS

Date of Birth: November 28, 1962

Birthplace: New York, NY

Raised: Lawrence Township, New Jersey (near Trenton)

Current Residence: Downtown Manhattan, New York, New York

Name at Birth: Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz. Note: Most sources incorrectly list Jon's middle name as Stewart. We have confirmed that Stuart is the correct spelling.

Name Change: Filed petition for legal name change to Jon Stewart on June 19, 2001. Cited several reasons for making the change. Pick which one you believe:
- To protect loved ones from embarrassment (they signed a petition)
- Too many syllables
- Too Hollywood
- Too mispronounceable
- Slight leftover family resentment

Height: 5' 7"

Recently, it has been rumored that various networks are interested in signing him as a talk show host. Although the $1.5 million he allegedly earns annually is much less than he might earn at one of the major networks, there are certain advantages he has working at Comedy Central. He works four days per week with one week off per month.

Re: Rush Limbaugh

Rank
Pay $30 mil 34
Web Hits 1,020,000 39
Press Clips 6,886 51
TV/Radio 392 13

Source

To paraphrase Bob Dylan, Rush Limbaugh is not my cup of meat, but I have to salute him for making the free enterprise system work for him, to the tune of a $400 million contract extension for the next eight years.

the size of his listenership doesn't really matter. (It's been estimated at between 14 to 20 million listeners a week on 600 stations; in any case, no other radio personality comes close to his numbers.)

Hmmmmmmm?

More on Stewart

The Daily Show, known in its current incarnation as The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, is an American satirical television program ...

...Describing itself as a fake news program, The Daily Show draws its comedy from recent news stories, satirizing political figures, media organizations, and often, aspects of the show itself...

...Television ratings show that the program generally has 1.45 to 1.6 million viewers nightly...

Financially speaking Stewart is a Sardine and Rush is a Great White.

I don't listen to or watch either. "Fake (self described)" news I find unappealing and Rush is not my cup of tea. I applaud them both for their success and wish them luck. I'm scared of the people who want to censor free speech. I wonder how they would feel if their speech were censored?

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Rush does do his own stuff. Rush does run his own program and he normally pushes his own buttons.

On occasion, probably when he's in NY for business or professional purposes, he still must continue his show, so he has to do so from a studio in NYC.

And only when in NYC does he absolutely have to comply with the station rules that he's operating out of, and they have a union.

There's a union guy who must monitor the electronics, a union guy that has to pot up the board, a guy that has to run the commercials, and of all things - and this is beyond stupidity - a union guy has to push the "talk" button, as Rush is not allowed to under union rules.

I don't care what you think of Rush, but he has brought this up on a couple of shows, and points out that utter union stupidity is one of the reasons he packed up and moved to Florida.

Look what unions did to our electronics industry, our steel industry, our textile industry and our auto industry.

They run every company they get a foothold in out of the country. They have in essence cut their own throats.

And that's one other thing that Rush points out.

Those who hate Rush the most, hate the truths that he points out the most.

Truth. Just can't stand it.

Now, if the top earning 50,000 can follow to Florida, you can lock the gates on New York. It's a deteriorating, corrupt cesspoll anyway.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by dooper]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

I don't listen to or watch either. "Fake (self described)" news I find unappealing and Rush is not my cup of tea. I applaud them both for their success and wish them luck. I'm scared of the people who want to censor free speech. I wonder how they would feel if their speech were censored?

Thanks for those figures, I had a hard time finding any info like that. I guess I must be behind on my googling.

And I wouldn't immediately discredit The Daily Show simply because it is a self-described "fake news" show. The fact that they call it that gives them license to actually report the truth, unlike most news programs.

In fact, if you actually watch The Daily Show, you'll see that Jon Stewart is far more honest and forthright than any of the major news anchors, and the show provides pound for pound far more reliable information than any of the MSM stations.

On top of that, "Daily Show" viewers know more about election issues than people who regularly read newspapers or watch television news, according to the National Annenberg Election Survey.

CNN

The poll also found that respondents with the most correct answers were more likely to watch ''The Daily Show'' and the ''Colbert Report'' on cable's Comedy Central network and peruse the major newspaper internet websites. Those respondents with the least correct answers, on the other hand, were more likely to watch the right-wing Fox News cable channel, local television news, or the major television network morning news programmes.

IPS

Also, check out the charts on this page:

WIRED

It's pretty surprising how stupid we've become over the years, but there's little doubt that The Daily Show is the most reliable source of information on television.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
For the English challenged -

Satire -

–noun
1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
3. a literary genre comprising such compositions.

Synonyms:
1. See irony 1 . 2, 3. burlesque, caricature, parody, travesty. Satire, lampoon refer to literary forms in which vices or follies are ridiculed. Satire, the general term, often emphasizes the weakness more than the weak person, and usually implies moral judgment and corrective purpose: Swift's satire of human pettiness and bestiality. Lampoon refers to a form of satire, often political or personal, characterized by the malice or virulence of its attack: lampoons of the leading political figures.

Source is dictionary.com

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

I have nothing against either. They are entertainers and Americans who hopefully have the right to free speech.

Limbaugh was interesting for a listen or two. Stewart I watch once in a blue moon.

Satire does have value and parodies real news.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

Therefore, for someone to tell another to leave a state because of something they said violates the spirit of both freedom of speech and the right to peaceably assemble, where ever they wish.

Maybe his comment violates "the spirit" of the 1st amendment, but what's your point? It doesn't actually violate the 1st amendment itself, which states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech...."

Unless Jon Stewart = Congress, and he passes a law to ban Rush

As far as the Bill of Rights is concerned, John Stewart can tell Rush to jump off a cliff.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101 what are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that Rush is a big bloated naked emperor who speaks from the larnyx rather than from the brain. He embodies Orwell's 1984 principle of "Duckspeak:" Speech reduced to the level of quacking like a duck, automatic, containing no thought except for agreement with the party line. First incoming information is scanned and run through a crude neural simulacra of the party playbook. If it doesn't fit, it is rejected. Quack quack.

Huh? What party line would that be? You think Rush is a mouthpiece for "Big Brother"??? Are you kidding me? LOL

Rush would be the antithesis of such.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

stewart needs to shutup period. stewart is just pissed that rush makes more than he does and has more viewers and rush says things that actually matter to people in this country.

Now wait a dog gone minute!

One has a national TV show, and one has a radio show!

I do believe that there is more $$ in TV than radio!

What, you don't think Rush would rather have a TV show than a radio show!

PLEASE!

There's FAR more $$ in TV than radio!

[edit on 4/2/2009 by Keyhole]

So you assume that anyone in TV makes more than the most highly paid person in radio??? That's quite an assumption.

Actually, Rush probably makes 10X what Stewart does.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   

stewart needs to shutup period. stewart is just pissed that rush makes more than he does and has more viewers and rush says things that actually matter to people in this country.

Haha, I think Jon Stewart makes enough money that whatever Rush makes doesn't even phase him. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that Stewart makes more. He has a television show, which is a higher form of media than radio. Jon is also WAY more prominent than Rush, the guy is a multiple-time host of the Academy Awards for crying out loud.

I think he's really just pissed off at Rush for the same reason most of the people who hate him are: he's a bigot and a moron who spews hate and vitriol to an audience of less-than-capable self thinkers.

And before you get on me for flaming Rush, I think its great that he has his show, as I think ALL views should be equally respected and represented by the media. Even the dumb ones.

Umm, no. Stewart does not even come close to touching Rush's salary.

As for hosting the Academy Awards, he is a LIBERAL COMEDIAN. Duh. He fits the ticket.

Judging by the rest of your post, you have probably listened to Rush for a grand total of 25 seconds.

At least you don't want him to shut him down, like a lot of democrats want to with the Unfairness Doctrine.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

What does Obama have to do with New York? Or any of this? New York has been Democratic for as long as I can remember, I have to wonder why Rush even wants to stay there? Unless of course he likes to feed off of the adversity.

And the liberals have historically been the champions of the poor, and the conservatives protect the rich. Nothing in your post makes any sense.

In addition to Obama raising taxes, NY State is raising taxes thanks to their unelected governor.

Rush doens't actually spend much time there. He lives in FLA, but has a penthouse in NY. Now, it's up for sale and NY will no longer be able to get ANY income tax out of hm.

The democrats champions of the poor? Oh really? Just how IS that "war on poverty going?" I'll tell you. It's been an absolute disaster.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
Shiite I was hoping Rush would get the hell out here (Florida) and STAY in New York. Whats funny about Rush is he hates his taxes I mean he HATES his taxes. On the same note he LOVES his world empire loves his war. He LOVES the police state here locally he loves the cameras all over the place. He LOVES the nanny state telling people who to live like those evil people who want to smoke a joint. He LOVES all of this but for some reason dont want to pay for any of it. Hes a worthless turd neo con who is really part of the problem the Republicans have right now.

I'd love to see you back up ANY of that temper tantrum.

Of course, he hates taxes. Do you like them? If so, give me your address and I'll send you my note from the IRS.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd
A.) Who cares how much who makes? Let's evaluate:

Jon Stewart: VERY successful Television show. Been in tons of movies, successful standup comedian. Loaded. Seen as a shining figure in the public eye (and when it comes to a republic, it's the mob that rules...have you NEVER seen gladiator, sheesh!)

Rush Limbaugh: Drug addict, hypocrite (see his quotes about black people and native americans), he was actually FIRE from ESPN for his KKK rhetoric, and is being investigated by the FBI For money laundering.

Gee.

It honestly says a lot about any one person who takes Rush Limbaugh as a figure to be admired.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by Fremd]

So "who cares" who makes more money, but you want to talk about who's more successful? Ok, since they are both entertainers, MONEY is the determining factor of who is more successful. If you are not a good entertainer, people won't pay to watch, read, or hear you. So the fact that Rush pays more in TAXES in 1 year than Stewart gets PAID in perhaps FIVE years, demolishes your argument into about 50 million pieces (Rush's yearly salary average).

In case you hadn't noticed, but the media is predominately liberal, so of course, they are going to invite their darling butt kissers like Stewart.

So many lies, it's hard to know where to start. For starters, Rush was not "fired" from ESPN. He quit. And what he said had NOTHING to do with the KKK.

People who have to make things up to make a point...usually don't have a point to make.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GLDNGUN

Judging by the rest of your post, you have probably listened to Rush for a grand total of 25 seconds.

At least you don't want him to shut him down, like a lot of democrats want to with the Unfairness Doctrine.

You're right, I don't listen to Rush. I have too much self-respect for that. Don't worry, I've heard his "highlights" whenever he makes a big enough ass of himself to garner national attention.

And could you possibly...POSSIBLY consider condensing your replies into one post? It's pretty childish to fire off five posts in a row. Really dedicated to Mr. Limbaugh, eh? I won't judge.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

there is a link and my bad not per year
$400 million contract at any rate its hell of alot more than stewart

How? How do you know that? You provided a link with Rush's 50 mil per year, great. That's only HALF the evidence you need to support your claim. For all we know Stewart could make 100 mil a year. I searched and couldn't find any indication of what Jon Stewart makes, so until you can, I humbly invite you to place your foot in your mouth.

ROFL. Stewart 100 Million???

Try 1.5 million a year. Last I checked that was a tad less than 50 million.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd

1.) 50 million is a lot of money - but that does not mean Rush Limbaugh is worth it. If you actually read that article, there's many questions about why you'd pay someone so much in prevailing political winds of change.

Rush is worth whatever someone is willing to pay him. Well, that is, until your "tolerant" democrats get done deciding what everyone should get paid.

2.) That does not mean Rush Limbaugh will be around for 8 more years. You can bet your bottom dollar that the way this country is going, it'll be much more liberal in the years to come. I know this concept of tolerance and responsibility scares you, but it's something you'll have to confront eventually as an adult.

LOL Sorry to burst your bubble, but Rush has been MOST popular with a democrat in the White House. And now, thanks to your Messiah Obama, Rush's audience has grown dramatically since January. As for tolerance, it's the democrats who sit around and try to scheme up ways to shut down conservative talk radio. That's when they're not busy trying to figure out who to raise taxes and increase spending.

3.) Since when does the amount of money you're paid dictate how important you are to this country? Rush Limbaugh did a bit on this exact same idea about 2 weeks or so ago. Teachers aren't paid millions of dollars, but are easily the single most important job in this country.

You are right. Jon Stewart is WAY overpaid.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join