It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention ATS Smokers!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Not to drastically de-rail my own topic, but to expand it perhaps.
What other luxury "sin-taxed" items aside from tobacco that has common usage might be produced home made so as to avoid giving 10% to the maker and 90% to good 'ol uncle samuel?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
See they want to make it so outrages to smoke in the cities (price/place) that only backyard rednecks or country folks be the ones left. It is a medical conspiracy b/c the hospitals and bigpharm has their hand in politician pockets.

THERE IS NO RIGHT FOR SIN TAX UNLESS THERE IS UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by texas thinker
Not to drastically de-rail my own topic, but to expand it perhaps.
What other luxury "sin-taxed" items aside from tobacco that has common usage might be produced home made so as to avoid giving 10% to the maker and 90% to good 'ol uncle samuel?

Good ol' moonshine of course! Haha, and the even tell you how to do it on tv. Not to mention, I've brewed my own beer before and it is just as rewarding as the stuff in stores.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by texas thinker

Government simps with nothing better to do than screw with the public. You'd think by now they'd learn to mind their own business but no they have to control us to save us newsflash Hitler Stalin and all their friends wanted the same thing look how well that went.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by texas thinker

Oh, yes...you are talkin' about the other luxury(subjective) item that is legal... ALCOHOL?!

It is mostly illegal to make spirits, but beer/wine is tolerated. Homemade beer isn't as 'pure' as storebought, but it still whets the whistle. ...and whose to say those 'byproducts' inside that homemade brew aren't 'good' for you?

I like 'storebought' for it's purity. The quality of the products we buy are actually VERY IMPRESSIVE.

BUT, when you gotta get your fix, homemade will suffice.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonking76

I dunno about that, me and my husband have been making wine for about 15 years now and I hafta say, I like mine better than the stores.

I will however buy a very nice bottle from the store once a year for celebrations ofcourse. I can't be expected to make wine that's as a good as 1950-1970 style red wines.

But making your own alchohol is fairly easy, I make pumpkin beer every couple of months or so, lots of fun.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Up here in Canada I pay $10CDN/pack about 7 years ago it was $5. If the Gov't said "oh this is really bad for your health so we're going to outlaw cigarettes" could you imagine waking up tomorrow and not being able to buy tobacco or tobacco seeds. There would me millions of jittery, agitated people that by day 4 would kill someone for a pack of smokes. Anybody who has quit or is in the process of quitting knows what I'm talking about(I'm of course kidding about killing someone).

The truth is that Gov'ts make Billions in taxes of our addictions. Trust me, they are in no hurry for you to quit. They raise the taxes every year just a tiny amount that it's not quite the breaking point for someone to quit because it's too expensive.

The price is irritating but what irritates me is the hypocrasy of the "Sin Tax". FU is what I say to them. Where is the fat tax? Obesity and related complications due to obesity are the #1 killer in most Western Countries. They are the ones who really tax the Healthcare system. Where's the tax to cover that cost? I smoke a pack a day, I'm active, I swim 3/week for about a total of 4 miles. I eat well, take vitamins and always have blood pressure around 120/80. The "Sin Tax" is exactly that, it's a "SIN" our politicians treat us like children holding back our "allowance" until we straighten out our act. It's a "SIN" were allowing a small portion of the population to be dis-proportionately taxed while the larger half of the population are the real burden on the HealthCare system.

Even it out across the board for these "SIN TAXES" or get rid of it. You can't unfairly tax one section of society. That's un-democratic(WORD?)

Deez

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnitedSatesofFreemasons

Just roll you own! Its so much cheaper and you get use to the taste.

Roll your own used to be cheaper. The tax on loose tobacco was a little over a dollar a pound which made it really cheap. The new federal tax will raise that tax to 25 dollars a pound.

Roll your own just got more expensive than tailor made.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DEEZNUTZ

"Fat tax"

Food is a necessity, therefore, difficult to tax without knowing how much each individual has consumed.

Great idea, IMHO, but difficult to implement. I wish it were economically possible to enforce such a tax.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I've noticed this as well. I used to buy "roll your own" cigarettes due to their low price, but it's gotten to a point that it doesn't really matter which way you go on that issue. The price is the same either way at this point in time.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Ahem, just my two cents but to me cannabis is far superior. it has too many uses to be discarded for a poisonous plant.
dont get me wrong- i like tobacco, but i also hunt with it and i know first hand what nicotine does to a deer so i dont smoke it often.
mostly when im drinking

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
my brand is about $13.00 USD a pound.
TOn the first, it goes up $26.00 a pound to $39.00

Pretty big tax. I see no representation that makes a case for this huge tax,

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Well I'm talking about over comsumption. Body mass index. If it's not due to some disease or illness as diagnosed by a doctor then you get taxed for every pound your overweight until you get down to within a reasonable percentage of your ideal body weight. Men, Women and children.

I mean isn't that what they are trying to do with smokers, tax you and tax you until you quit. Well do the same to fat people until we're the healthiest Nation in the world. Everyone would be fit, healthy. Productivity in the workplace would be higher and our healthcare system would be in good financial shape as it would have a larger amount of tax dollars and eventually it would only be used for major stuff. Our society as a whole would be healthier.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I do not believe the government is over taxing tobacco products to cause people to quit smoking. The government doesn't give a damn if we live or die from our nasty habits.

Tobacco is just an easy product to tax because we can survive without it.

None of my smoking friends will stop because of the increased price. They would not stop even if tobacco was made illegal. We could buy it just as easily as we buy other illegal products.

I quit smoking 90 days ago because of my damaged lungs. I could very much enjoy one right now. I enjoyed smoking and it really did settle my nerves.

If I were still a smoker the price would not cause me to stop the habit. My pack of Kools cost .25 back in 1962 when I started smoking.

I smoked two packs a day and have saved over $600.00 since I quit.

Good luck to all who try to grow their own.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DEEZNUTZ

You have a point.

In the city near where I live, there is a city tax on resturant food. It doesn't seem to hurt the buisnesses in that city either.

As a side note, I've noticed that the 'poorer' people are the 'fatter' they are. This used to be due to the fact that 'fattier' foods were cheaper, but now even pork products(and the like) have become more expensive. Perhaps if those who want the 'people' to be healthier would make their products cheaper they would help humanity in ways they can't even imagine?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Never say never, $9.13/pack here. It hit the $9 mark and I started buying bulk and rolling my own cigarettes. I've noticed that I smoke less doing this and I'm not getting the other 200plus chemicals either.

Have the powers that be learned nothing in the past 100 years. This is only going to encourage bootlegging and foster another economy occupied now only by hard drugs.. Get ready for the 21st century blackmarket and underground trade routes nation wide. As if they don't already exist.

In my opinion they need to tax the crap out of Ho Ho's and Twinkies. I see more obese people on my embalming table than smokers.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBranch

I'm confused, What does nicotine do to a deer and how do you hunt with it?

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
In the mean time, as I don't have any land since I am an apartment dweller, does anyone know the rules with respect to buying cigs from the native americans at a reservation?

Is it like duty free where you are allowed two cartons per person?

I started smoking when I was twelve and I remember they cost under $2 when I started. Now, they are 9.50 - 10.00 in NYC. I buy only the Cigs that Philip Morris puts on sale now, e.g. 3 packs for the price of 2, or $2 off packs.

Smokers should get two votes on election day as we pay taxes twice. I figured out that between my wife and I, we spend between 5 and 6 THOUSAND
a year.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
One thing friends of mine have noticed is that if you grow your own and smoke it for 6 months before you try to quit it is a lot easier.

One thing is the 'grow your own' is harsher then store bought and a lot lower in nicotine.

The tobacco companies have been adding nicotine for years and even low nicotine brands have a lot more the home grown.
plus there are other chemical they add.
i wish there was something to cut the roll your own with to cut the cost and lower the nicotine content where you could slowly cut the amount of tobacco and raise the amount of non tobacco

And yes i have seeds on order.

I may quit after a while smoking home grown But i also may keep growing to sell for extra spending money.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic, the deer thing kind of tweaked my brain for a second.
Has anyone tried or considered Chantrix to help them quit? My wife brought some home and tried a couple of doses. It was too much for her to handle. I did some research on it with some disturbing results. Suicides and freak outs are a side effect.
Nicotine dependence sucks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join