It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention ATS Smokers!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I've said this several times before in post's here about the "Tea Parties" I'm all for non violent protest for unfair taxation, but a real Tea Party would really excite the bejesus out of me. I'm all for gathering up several thousand or hundred thousand cartons of cigarettes & wrapping them in shrink wrap, then bagging them & filling up some body of water prefferably near the White House or anywhere would really do. & show that peanut headed big eared so called President that the people run the show & not him or the Senate or Congress. Of course we'd gather the bags out of the water so as not to pollute, & divy up the fruits of our labor afterwords. I'm also for doing the same with food that is bound for big named Grocery Stores who haven't lowered their prices in lieu of the dropping gasoline prices.. Find out which trucks are hauling the afformentioned products & talk the derivers into joing the cause (no violence just cooperation between two factions of people who are working towards a single minded goal. Now thats a damned Tea Party.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Of course if the non violent ways did not work I have an Uncle, Uncle Willy Two Tone who would love to help.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Great idea if not for the fact that home-grown tobacco tastes like sawdust and ass :*(

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You're right, how would they get those 600 additives like Urea and Formaldehyde in there without all that processing?

Sorry for the sarcasm, I just hate all the crap they put in them. I grow my own tobacco, and yes, depending on what kind you're talking about, you can just take it off the plant and smoke it (although it tends to burn better if you dry it first). Tobacco is an easy to grow and rewarding crop.

If you're going to grow tobacco though, please do your research, or you could end up killing yourself far faster than smoking will.

For instance, Nicotiana Rustica contains over 20 times the concentration of nicotine than the strains used for mass production (usually N. Tobacum) of smoking tobacco.

I do grow some rustica in the greenhouse, but not for smoking. It's the words most powerful natural pesticide.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackieps1975
Great idea if not for the fact that home-grown tobacco tastes like sawdust and ass :*(

You haven't smoked any that was grown by someone who knows what they're doing. There's a reason smoking tobacco is "blended". It's the same reason people who enjoy black pepper on their food don't eat whole peppercorns alone.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I am a smoker and I think at this stage of the game for ANYONE to say that smoking isn't bad for you, they would be wrong. Now, that being said, why do I feel like I am being singled-out out and being "picked-on" by Big Brother because it is my right to do what I want with myself, especially with something LEGAL. I understand banning smoking in public places, but when you hit someones wallet (especially in these trying times) you make things worse on those people. Regardless of the reasons. Aren't these the kinds of laws that are meant to discriminate? How is this not the same thing? Funny, it's almost like they are saying, "hey, we can't take their freedom to smoke away, but we can make it a harder freedom to express." How is that not wrong? Especially with something LLEEGGAALL??? I'm in Virginia, don't these people here know that tobacco is one of our major cash crops?? Has been since the beginning of our country!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by texas thinker

Why would you encourage people to grow their own tobacco? And do you think you can just take it off the plant and smoke it?

Haha you try that. Tobacco products are highly worked, then screened. And then all the nasty stuff is pulled out for more nasty stuff to go in.

That makes no sense at all, it's not a grow and smoke plant like another I know of.

Besides, this tax only helps people quit cause they can't afford to smoke them.

Long live things that make smoking harder!!

~Keeper

What you think the Native Americans had tobacco processing factories?

What do you think they did to get their smoke-able tobacco ?

The same thing we will do. ( Well not me i'm not really a smoker allthough i will bum one off a friend every once and a while, whilst drinking. :-) )

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
the problem is where i live people are going to smoke, when the price goes up and the already poor cant afford them they will steal and rob for money to byt them.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bamaoutlaw

My sentiments exactly. They are creating a whole other problem with this one. I mean, how is it any different to say, "Hey, non-smoking Americans, we are going to give YOU a stimulus for not smoking." If they did it this way, do you think smokers would stand for it? How is it not the same thing? You have people who are already hurting (money-wise) and when people are stressed they tend to resort to their vices more. Well, when you make the vices harder to get, then you have a problem....I agree this will start a whole new crime incentive....not make people stop smoking. Smokers didn't get America in the boat we are in, so why should we shoulder the burden more than any other?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bamaoutlaw

I totally agree! I live in Arkansas and I am a non-smoker (as of February 1, 2009
) and I think that people will continue to smoke. I don't think that raising the taxes will eliminate smoking all together.

What I see happening is that people in these already trying times will ignore the more important things in life such as their family, friends, and pets, and will stop buying things like food, baby formula, diapers, dog food, cat food, etc. all in order to prolong thier soon-to-be $8 a pack habit of smoking.

Now dont get me wrong, I smoked for 6 years, so I know it can be a hard habit to break and the dangers it can cause to your body and others. And I commend the government (State and Federal) for trying to "help" people quit smoking. But I personally do not think that this will fix anything. I actually think it will create chaos and destruction in some families, and ultimately lead to some sort of "underground" system for others that continue to smoke.

Just my .02 but I thought I would share!

Cheers!!!

[edit on 3/31/2009 by ou_sooners_19]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

There is no difference between individuals trying to dictate to others and the Government doing it. Freedom is freedom and suppression is suppression.

No person should ever have the power to dictate to another what they should or should not do as long as it does not harm others. This whole smoking issue is an attempt by control freaks to force others to live as they wish and an attempt at removing others freedoms. It is evil on its face.

Smokers pay far more in taxes than their medical care costs and that argument stopped having any meaning after it was exposed as the lie it is. In fact if the whole country quit they would have to raise taxes at State, Federal and Local levels to replace the money being used to benefit non-smokers. Not only do smokers cover their own costs they are paying for services non-smokers receive and don't even say thank you for.

When the States got all that money from the false claim it was to pay for medical costs for the victims, they put it in their general funds and Smokers can't even get the medical care they claimed it was for.

This is just another case of power mad extremists who want to dictate to others. If it was not smoking they would find other ways to satisfy their need to lord over others.

If behavior is controlled by others even though it is none of their affair or causes them no harm we are not free. There will always be people who want to control others. To dictate what we wear, eat and even what we think. These are the most dangerous people in society because they will often go to extraoridinary means to control us; even to the point of lying in court often times like the States did in the Tobacco Suits.

I checked once and a true allergy to tobacco occurs in only one in a million individuals. That means perhaps 400 people in the United States are allergic and the millions who say they are, are either lying or they are imagining it. If Smokers do not smoke in public places or around others there is no reason anyone should ever punish them and these taxes are punishment for behavior. Show me where in the Constitution the Government has the right to punish people for legal behavior? YOU CAN NOT!

Now that the control freaks have gotten away with it due to Judges who don't follow the law, they will no doubt dictate other behavior like what we can eat, read, say or watch. Don't fool yourself as this is coming to a theater near you soon. Eventually it will happen to those of you who have joined this dictatorial culture and bite you in the backside.

What if I told you that you could no longer Ski because it is dangerous behavior that kills people, which is true? What if Mountain Climbers where stopped form engaging in their sport because they are often killed and leave family and children behind to burden society. I've been run off the road three times by people on cell phones recently, what if I were to sue and force them to stop manufacturing cell phones because they cause many deaths and property damage. You get the drift. People need to wake up and realize where this controlling of behavior and imposing of your personal beliefs on others is leading.

Smoking is wrong, it is unhealthy but it is a personal choice and nobody should be punished for it as it is legal.

Those of you who are control freaks should consider a career in Government and help destroy the world along with the like minded people who control us now. You are part of the problem and not the solution. While you are running around criticizing others while ignoring your own flaws, you are helping the evil people of this world take away all our freedoms. Sooner or later they will come after you.

A carton of cigarettes is about $3.50 before taxes imposed on the producers and the users. You do the math. They will soon do the same to your favorite snacks, deserts, foods, pastimes and anything else they can rape you for. Food is next.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Why would you encourage people to grow their own tobacco? And do you think you can just take it off the plant and smoke it?

Haha you try that. Tobacco products are highly worked, then screened. And then all the nasty stuff is pulled out for more nasty stuff to go in.

That makes no sense at all, it's not a grow and smoke plant like another I know of.

Besides, this tax only helps people quit cause they can't afford to smoke them.

Long live things that make smoking harder!!

~Keeper

Agreed fully, I myself am an ex-smoker, started when i was 13, I am now 24, smoked a pack a day for 7 years then a pack ever 2 days for the other 3, its been a year since I have had a smoke and I feel great, did NOT all happen at once that for sure, anything to make smoking harder

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
It's not that they want people to quit smoking... the pharma companies are paying off politicians to pass these taxes so people will have to buy their stop-smoking products.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonking76
It is mostly illegal to make spirits, but beer/wine is tolerated. Homemade beer isn't as 'pure' as storebought, but it still whets the whistle. ...and whose to say those 'byproducts' inside that homemade brew aren't 'good' for you?

I like 'storebought' for it's purity. The quality of the products we buy are actually VERY IMPRESSIVE.

BUT, when you gotta get your fix, homemade will suffice.

Ermm... I'd say there are more impurities in store bought beer than home brew. At least in a home brew it is naturally carbonated and with products you hand select, unless you use a kit job, whereas mass produced beer is made only to primary fermentation and then artificially carbonated. At least that was the rule of thumb in the late 90's when I used to read alt.rec.homebrewing.

I'd also say that the ability to refine your home brew with any ingredient you like, also makes it a far superior drop to 95% mass produced.

And as a hobby it is one damn fine and rewarding one.

Not to mention that the other yeast based delicacy is made primarily from spent wort. Vegemite!! 8]~~

I think the difference for us in Australia is micro-breweries are reasonably recent, whereas in the US they are and have been common, so you get a far greater range to choose from. But as a general rule, I'd always prefer my own brew over a store bought one.

Growing tobacco here is illegal, for any use and possession of any part of the plant gets us in the deep end. Not that I smoke that stuff, nor anything these days. The most I inhale is incense on the off occasion, just as an atmosphere lifter.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonking76

Oh, yes...you are talkin' about the other luxury(subjective) item that is legal... ALCOHOL?!

It is mostly illegal to make spirits, but beer/wine is tolerated. Homemade beer isn't as 'pure' as storebought, but it still whets the whistle. ...and whose to say those 'byproducts' inside that homemade brew aren't 'good' for you?

I like 'storebought' for it's purity. The quality of the products we buy are actually VERY IMPRESSIVE.

BUT, when you gotta get your fix, homemade will suffice.

I really hate to sound offensive here, but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Define purity.

Are you talking about the cloudiness found in some home-brewed beers? Guess what... Buy a more expensive, higher end "mass produced" beer, and you'll find the same thing. Lagers are filtered, and most mass produced domestic beers are Lagers. Ale's will all exhibit some cloudiness. This is not "impurity", it's usually yeast, and is present in all bottle-fermented brews. You're much more likely to find actual "contaminants" in mass produced brews like Coors or Bud. You know, the ones that are brewed in gigantic tanks, with chemical additives to speed the brewing process, being managed by guys who like to drink at work and don't wear hairnets, gloves or face masks.

Your post about American Spirit is also rather uninformed. They don't pack the "umph"? Do you know what the "umph" is? Let me tell you. The "umph" comes from chemicals like Benzene, used as a solvent in fuel; Formaldehyde, used to preserve dead bodies; Ammonia(used to flavor?), found in dry cleaner fluids; and Acetone, yes, that's nail polish remover. Oh, forgot Urea is also added for "flavor". I think you mistakenly associate the "umph" with nicotine. If so, you're just dead wrong in your assessment of American Spirits.

If you switch from a major brand to AS, you're bound to smoke a bit more, as you're looking for that "umph" you get from all solvents, ammonia, formaldehyde, etc.. However, over the course of a month or two, you'll find yourself smoking less. Why? Because American Sprit's contain significantly more nicotine in the most available form (freebase) than the major brands. You satisfy your nicotine addition while smoking less.

American Spirit cigarettes contain 36 percent free-base nicotine, compared with 9.6 percent in a Marlboro, 2.7 percent in a Camel, and 6.2 percent in a Winston.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
You must be right about American Spirit.... I non smoke 10 cigarettes a day, and was smoking 2 packs of the nations number 1 brand a day for 30 years. I was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis at the age of 20, and COPD at 50 and now have no signs of either except for my lungs being larger than those of a non smoker..... Menthol cigarettes are the ones that are the most dangerous. Try and see through a wind shield of a car that a menthol brand smoker has been smoking in, and check out the muck on a paper towel that has been used to clean it off, If you can get it off.... The biggest bulk of the tax money will be used up by the bureaucracy that disperses it than to what it is being used to fund. .... I wouldn't mind paying taxes so much if the money got to be used for what it is meant to be used for.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
cigs by me are now 8.75 or something a pack! this is outrageous
solution either quit or buy tobacco and roll your own cigs that would be a lot cheaper to do

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lookin4answers

Indeed. You can stuff your own (or roll) on the cheap. I used to roll, now I stuff, as I can make a whole pack with the stuffing machine in less than 5 minutes. After the cost of a $35 stuffing machine, a carton (200 cigarettes) can be made for less than $10 (after the tax hike). This includes premium blended tobacco, the tubes and filters. The Tobacco Station even has "kits" to get you going that include a couple of 6 oz. pouches of tobacco, the tubes, filters and even the machine for as little as $39.00. The $39 kit will yield two cartons of cigs.

[edit on 4/1/2009 by Unit541]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

"When the States got all that money from the false claim it was to pay for medical costs for the victims, they put it in their general funds and Smokers can't even get the medical care they claimed it was for."

When I called the "smokers help line" in 1996, a recording announced that all representatives were busy... leave name and number, we'll get back to you...
That was 1996, now 2009, still no word from them.

We been HAD.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Wow, your smart.
Its a real turn on.
No offence meant.

Thanks for all the helpful info.
The roll your own kits sounds interesting to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join