It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention ATS Smokers!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Attention ATS smokers. The new federal tobacco tax is almost here. Let's pull one on the Fed. Often in Survival talk is the mention of seeds and growing your own food. So if you got a little piece of land why not do what I am considering and plant your own tobacco. Got friends and/or neighbors that smoke? Grow enough to support their habit too. Trade goods and/or services (legal ones) with them for tobacco. Do Not sell it or you would be in big trouble with the law. What do ya'll say? Please no anti smoking rants, I know its bad for me, I don't care, I am a polite smoker that will not smoke around those it bothers...so don't start please.
Brings up a thought though.....remember the old stories of illegal untaxed booze being run through the country during prohibition and many years after? Wonder what the likelyhood of similar tobacco bootleggers in the future?
Sorry...didn't mean to make this dual subject, but it is related.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
On the first of March the state tax of Arkansas went up 60 cents, then the tobacco companies raised the prices on my brand another 70 cents. The feds raise taxes on the first of April......sigh....

I started smoking when I was twelve years old. Back then they didn't ask for ID. I'm now 48 and have been without a cigarette for two weeks and one day.

I agree that growing tobacco will probably bring you some good trading material if TSHTF, but it won't bring you enough to support a habit.

I'm all for the bootlegging.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Some people will justify taxes on smokes by saying that it will help people quit. I would like to tell those people that it doesn't work, at least on me. Smokes were 2 bucks a pack when I started, and now they're up to 5 bucks, and I'm smoking more. Health issues are a bigger motivater to quit, so raising the prices doesn't help convince people like me to stop smoking.

edit - clarification

[edit on 3/30/2009 by Curious_Agnostic]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by texas thinker

Why would you encourage people to grow their own tobacco? And do you think you can just take it off the plant and smoke it?

Haha you try that. Tobacco products are highly worked, then screened. And then all the nasty stuff is pulled out for more nasty stuff to go in.

That makes no sense at all, it's not a grow and smoke plant like another I know of.

Besides, this tax only helps people quit cause they can't afford to smoke them.

Long live things that make smoking harder!!

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
On the first of March the state tax of Arkansas went up 60 cents, then the tobacco companies raised the prices on my brand another 70 cents. The feds raise taxes on the first of April......sigh....

I started smoking when I was twelve years old. Back then they didn't ask for ID. I'm now 48 and have been without a cigarette for two weeks and one day.

I agree that growing tobacco will probably bring you some good trading material if TSHTF, but it won't bring you enough to support a habit.

I'm all for the bootlegging.

I've been 33 days without a smoke myself

OP has a good idea

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yes I know it's not an off the plant and ready to smoke plant. But it can be back yard cured. And according to what I have researched and area about 10 yards square can produce about 5000 cigarettes. A little hard work and I have a commodity.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Im not sure but I think growing tobacco is illegal. But I wonder how good for you it would be without all the additives.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

No, it just makes them poorer. Like I said in my last post, health issues are a bigger motivater to quit. I am just speaking from my own experiences, though.

edit - I'm not accusing you of "drive by posting" (heard a memeber in another thread refer to it as that, and I like it.
), since the posts were close together timewise.

[edit on 3/30/2009 by Curious_Agnostic]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

It's actually really horrible and could very well kill you because of non-regulated ammount of nocotine you would be potentially smoking. And yes it is illegal to grow tabacco just cause you want to, because I do believe there is a environmental issue here in North America, although dont' quote me on that.

OP, you can backyard cure it, but it will be the most horrible thing you've ever smoked and you'll have put more time into making it then you could have done working the extra overtime to afford smoking.

Really the only solution is to quit, I personnally am still working on it, and I know that I will NEVER pay 10$ for a pack of smokes, I have other vices that could easily take it's place.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
And to all who say the new tax is a good thing...it gives an incentive to quit. I say that was my first reaction, especially remembering running down to the corner store to get my dad a pack as a kid for 0.50 a pack, and still under a buck when I started. However the rebel in me says screw it. If any government wanted me to quit that bad they would be outlawed period. After all '___', mary-jane, and the worst of all....leaded gasoline
were all banned by the government.
For those of you in favor of the new tax that want us to quit...Shame On YOU! You obviously don't want the fed to be buying healthcare for the little kiddies. Poor kiddies...we gotta smoke so Obama and crew can pay for their medical care. Oh Yeah....I got three kids and have to pay for their care out of my pocket. Hmmmm.....I pay the tax for the kiddies medical care and then pay for the kiddies medical care.......OH dang it done got off subject.
Anyway welcome thoughts about a backyard tobacco trade.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Brief How To Grow Guide

This among many other on google will help you guys get started. We've been thinking about doing the same actually. I was surprised to see a thread started up about it.

Hope your gardens produce some good TAX FREE smoke!!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thats plain out wrong.... and stupid...

Naturally grown tobacco contains far less nicotine than a pack of Marlboros, when it's allowed to cure properly. with the proper cure time/method smoking homegrown tobacco will certainly not kill you any faster than a store bought pack of smokes.

The Big tobacco guys ADD NICOTINE (and other things) to cigs. How could growing your own possibly be worse?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If you chew on a strait leaf non cured you will get a massive dose of nicotine but if it is cured right, I don't think that it could be much worse than any other smokes you could buy.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

Hmm, perhaps my comments were premature. I've done some reading in the past 5 mins, seems growing your own tobacco is a wonderful idea to save money.

However I have been near plants and they reek quite horribly, and aren't the nicest looking ones either.

But other than that, I am happy somebody proved me wrong, very good ATS'ers!

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
It's a known fact that the government wants people to stop smoking because it cures everything from cancer to the common cold!

Numbers do not lie! 40 million American's died from a wide range of causes last year, but only 10 million of them were smokers! Very simple you have a 3 times greater chance of living as a smoker than a non-smoker.

Smokers always get better jobs too like Leading Man, Spy, General, CEO, and Mad Scientist!

Smokers are smarter than non-smokers too, we started the smoking bans in the work place (for an excuse to suddenly leave meetings we don't like) we started smoking bans on airplanes (we got tired of being sent from city to city to clean up non-smokers mess and lack of productivity) we started the smoking bans in restaurants (we couldn't stand to hear your ill behaved kids scream one more time) we insitute the higher cigarette taxes (because after we get done deducting them out as business expenses we pay no Federal Income tax as a result, but over all are taxed at a rate 75% less than non-smokers)

Don't smoke! It's good for me!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

This is correct. There is all natural cigarettes available on the market with no additives what so ever. I tried them and couldn't get adjusted as I smoke the stout stuff and the full flavor in these types where lighter than an ultra light national brand, and stated less nicotine than such according to the package. If my backyard smokes idea produces cigarettes as mild as these then it will indeed get some getting used to.
On a related note, if growing tobacco on your own property for your own personal use is illegal then please someone post a link to this legislation. I cannot find it. I know that technically it is legal to make your own whiskey and the like as long as it is not sold without a tax stamp.
Another related note then, if you like an adult beverage with a cigarette in the evening then make your own and screw outta more taxes with a little work. After all I think the best brew I ever tasted was a homemade potato beer...and boy did it pack a punch!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The tax is already in place. The price went up the begining of this month. I sure hope there isn't a second tax.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
here in nyc, they are already 9 a back, some places ten. And trust me, that hasn't stopped many from smoking, just makes them not go out, and not drink as much.

Its like a vice for a vice. I smoke to, but i don't get that.

Just roll you own! Its so much cheaper and you get use to the taste.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by texas thinker

Long live things that make smoking harder!!

~Keeper

This is what sucks though! Every person I know smokes, literally. One of these people plans on quitting. I don't even plan on quitting, unless it starts seriously breaking the bank. I used to pay $50 a carton in Texas, and as far as I know, here in KY it's not going to end up that high. Most smokers enjoy their habit. A few extra bucks isn't going to make all of us, most of us, or even a decent percentage of us quit.

And if it does, states like my own are going to suffer. Tobacco is a major cash crop here in Kentucky...I could not imagine farmers losses if by some fluke a good percentage of smokers did quit.

edit for misplaced period

[edit on 30-3-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Growing my own tobacco sounds like a lot of work!!!

I have noticed that a lot of places around where I live are selling off some of their excess stock in cigarettes. I'm buying up as much as I can before the taxes come. Luckily where I live the "state tax" was defeated in our government, therefore I have a little more time to stockpile.

When my stockpile is gone? Well, I'll either be dead, or I'll have to deal with it. By the time I run out of smokes Cigarettes will cost so much that I will HAVE to quit, or stop eating.

...and by the time I grow tobacco, harvest it, and dry it, I will no longer want a cigarette. May as well grow ANOTHER WEED that gives more BANG FOR THE BUCK.

EDIT: ANOTHER WEED reduces stress a whole lot better than tobacca

[edit on 30-3-2009 by dragonking76]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join