It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention ATS Smokers!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

American Spirit is a Native American brand. They aren't bad, but don't have the UMPH of store bought.

ANNED(sorry if I misspelled): I believe one of the previous poster is correct, and you as well... storebought tobacco has more "drugs" in it than homegrown.

Which makes me want to quit...

Maybe if I run out of money I will quit. Comfort is my problem, as well as, I believe, most of the smokers out there. Like I said in my original post, "Growing your own seems like a lot of work."

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

Originally posted by mrwupy
On the first of March the state tax of Arkansas went up 60 cents, then the tobacco companies raised the prices on my brand another 70 cents. The feds raise taxes on the first of April......sigh....

I started smoking when I was twelve years old. Back then they didn't ask for ID. I'm now 48 and have been without a cigarette for two weeks and one day.

I agree that growing tobacco will probably bring you some good trading material if TSHTF, but it won't bring you enough to support a habit.

I'm all for the bootlegging.

I've been 33 days without a smoke myself

OP has a good idea

19 days smoke free for me but if I did still smoke I could see myself trying to grow my own

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

I tried the Chantix about 6 months ago. I was ok the first week on the low dose, but then the second week, I got so sick I couldn't stand it anymore. I gave it three weeks before I threw in the towel. I think after I smoke the stockpile I've stashed away, I'll give the Chantix another try. Either that, or go cold turkey.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

I used Chantix. On the one hand, I had absolutely no withdrawl. I didn't smoke for about 3 weeks without giving it a second thought.

On the other hand, I was a real nasty son of a bitch. I got into arguments with my closest family members, I was very agresive and a little nuts. Not sucidal though. I would never use it again.

In the past I used that anti-depressent called welbutrin (rebadged as a stop smoking drug). For some weird reason, it made me incredibly itchy. I thought I had a rash, but no sign of a rash on my skin. Just very itchy.

There is no silver bullet. The only way is cold turkey and I have ZERO will power.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

I tried the Wellbutrin before I tried the Chantix. Wellbutrin made me a basketcase! I cried at the drop of a hat, which I never did before! I was
mad one minute and crying the next. I had crazy dreams. I slept for 3 days straight and then I couldn't sleep for three nights straight. It really messed me up. I lasted only 2 weeks on it. Didn't help at all with smoking.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Already have two kinds of seed, the ground tilled and the dry clippings ready to burn the area as soon as the wind dies down. Always burn the area you are going to plant in as the plants thrive in that composition.

My local Grocery has been selling decent cartons and packs at very discounted cost for a few months now so I knew this was coming.

mrwupy, I am very very proud of you, wow just wow.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I have only been smoking for a little over a year. I dont know why I started at 28 but I did. I bought my brand a week and a half ago and it was 6.88! I almost fell over. I have bought one pack since then. I will be quitting now. I will not pay that much for cigarettes, it's insane!! I do know people who will freak out if they cant get their cigarettes so I could see many of them jumping in and growing their own. I myself will just quit.
I was thinking about this whole tax on cigarettes and a couple months ago or so my friend and I were talking about this. We came to the conclusion it's the Govt's way of getting people to quit or to just make more money on them because so many are addicted. IDK. I guess it could go either way who knows.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Call me crazy, but I'm willing to bet most of the stop-smoking products are just as harmful if not more harmful to your health than actually smoking.

And growing your own is probably the BEST way to smoke, if not make sure you buy 100% natural tobacco with no additives. I don't smoke tobacco products myself, I smoked one pack in my life but gave it up, and honestly I'm really glad I did. I can't imagine what it would be like to be physically addicted to something. That's not to say I don't have my vices, but none are actually physiologically addictive.

However, I will say that plenty of people have smoked their entire lives, and while it will certainly affect your health those people can live full and productive lives with few consequences. For other people the consequences can be more severe. I am absolutely certain, however, that the additives put in the brand-name cigarettes are unconditionally worse for you than the tobacco on its own.

Best of luck growing, you will certainly be doing your body (and your wallet) a huge favor. Just make sure you cure it up properly so the smoke isn't too harsh.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
20% of me wants to quit smoking.

80% of me wants to keep smoking.

Majority rules.

It's a combination of all around goodness that makes me keep smoking. It's not just the nicotine, it's not just the oral fixation. It's a lethal combination, that is, for lack of a better word, 'awesome.'

I know that I am taking in something (inhaling on a cigarette and producing smoke)

I feel the calming effects...

...and then I drink more coffee so that I can feel that again...

I think I just described something close to what addiction truly is...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Dont forget when ordering to get NON GMO i purchased from Baker Creek.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I think big Tobacco is punishing consumers for all of the Law suits they have been paying out in the last 10 years.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I grew my own last year but didnt creat enuf to last all year ... this year im growing around 200 plants .... i get my seeds from www.seedman.com and you have to build a machine to cure it but he has links to all that ... last year i could get a pound of tobaco for around 16$ in a few days that shoots up to almost 40$ ! the machine can cure 5 pounds at a time ...you do the math
hope this helps

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Yeah, people are issued rights to grow tobacco. it's all government controlled. Here in Kentucky it is illegal to grow tobacco unless you are authorized. And when you buy property, some of the value lies in the allotment of pounds of tobacco authorized to be grown on the land. If you don't grow the tobacco, then you lose the authorization to grow it, and then your property loses value and you realize, sheesh, I should have rented out acreage to farmers to grow the stuff. These authorizations can be bought or sold. If tobacco is so horrible, then why does the University of Kentucky have government funds to grow the stuff and to continue research better ways to grow it?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Not only is growing your own tobacco perfectly legal, but I would encourage all ATS smokers who own enough land in a suitable climate to do so. Just learn about tobacco cultivation and curing first (you don't just pull it off the plant and roll it). The stuff you grow yourself won't contain all the garbage that commercial smokes have, and you won't have to pay the ridiculous taxes to the blood-sucking Government vampires.

In colonial times, tobacco funded the growth of, and was in some colonies the very lifeblood, that made America wealthy and able to stand on its own as a nation.

Taxation on tobacco and alcohol (so-called "sin" taxes) has long been a popular method for government to raise revenue. Who would stand up against higher taxes on things that are "bad" or "evil" or politically incorrect? Even if the taxation is unjustified and hurts lower income groups, these things are "bad!!!"...so let's make the people who indulge pay through the butt, right? Even though they may be the least able to afford it. That will make them quit the socially unapproved behavior, right? Wrong. It just generates tax revenue from the demographic groups that can least afford it.

There have been no studies that I know of on the matter, but I strongly suspect that if smokers consumed only natural, organic tobacco rather than the additive-laden crap that is commercially peddled the (purported...don't really trust the #s, but that's another story) smoking-related disease rate would be much lower.

In any event, growing your own tobacco deprives the dirtbag bloodsucking scum government bastards from depriving you of your hard-earned income. If that's not a reason to do it, I don't know what is.

Whew! OK, I've had my rant for the day.

[edit on 31/3/2009 by RR98]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I'm seriously considering buying some seeds and starting to grow my own.

They raised the price of smokes here 2-3 weeks ago. most stores went up $1.00- $1.50 a pack. the price jumped from $3.50 a pack to $4.50- $5.00 a pack.

One store that i have found here is still under $4.00 a pack. I have been hitting them up every payday buying 2-3 cartons to stockpile. you can't beat $36 a carton

And if that stores raises their price I'll just drive across the state line to Oklahoma and buy from the indians
until my harvest is ready to be smoked.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I was getting tobacco free in Vietnam and was smoking 4 packs a day(Pall Mall). We got them i supplemental Ration boxes that were passed out. We also got them in or 2 C ration meals a day (4 cigarettes. When in the rear area or forward base camp with a PX. they were $130 a Carton..... Most of the Vietnam vets that I know smoke..... The ones in California can actually smoke medical marijuana with out any problems from the V.A..... I cut down and stated rolling my own 15 years ago..... Smoking additive free tobacco has made a positive difference in my health and I have saved what by no equals 1 years income. this new tax is going to set me back by increasing my spending 40% but I can cut back on consumption about 1/2 that amount by buying a bong...... I might even start making them.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
More taxes and more laws yet where is the rational person saying that others have a right to make their own decisions about what to put into their bodies. One day we are all going to wake up and find that every aspect of our personal lives and choices are taxed and restricted with completely bull!@#$ laws that serve only to remove free choice from us. I am all for people quitting via their own decisions but this under-handed nonsense needs to stop.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Undertaker
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Have the powers that be learned nothing in the past 100 years. This is only going to encourage bootlegging and foster another economy occupied now only by hard drugs.. Get ready for the 21st century blackmarket and underground trade routes nation wide. As if they don't already exist.

In my opinion they need to tax the crap out of Ho Ho's and Twinkies. I see more obese people on my embalming table than smokers.

I was wondering if someone was going to figure this out. I couldn't agree with you more!

Criminals are already robbing stores for a pack of smokes. Now we just made it more worthwhile to do it. We're having our problems with Mexico over the drug wars, now we made the cigarette wars! What's next, tobacco-sniffing dogs?

Sorry, can't tax the obese, too many politicians..

As an edit- I have an automatic rolling machine and buy bulk tobacco and cigarette tubes. Still very cheap. A 6 oz. can produces ten packs(carton) give or take,usally more.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by geo1066]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
you might start seeing a dramtic drop in smoking related illnesses if the majority started doing this. I have no proof, but I am a beilever that a llot of bad stuff comes from the filter. It almost seems like there is stuff in there to help make you addicted. I personally will never have another as I quit almost 10 years ago. I will never go through that again. If I am diagnosed with some disease and given 2 years to live,....I might change my mind. For some reason even after 10 years, I crave a smoke at times.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curious_Agnostic
Some people will justify taxes on smokes by saying that it will help people quit. I would like to tell those people that it doesn't work, at least on me. Smokes were 2 bucks a pack when I started, and now they're up to 5 bucks, and I'm smoking more. Health issues are a bigger motivater to quit, so raising the prices doesn't help convince people like me to stop smoking.

edit - clarification

[edit on 3/30/2009 by Curious_Agnostic]

You are exactly right. here in Canada a pack goes for $10....and I'm still smoking. Price is no deterrent to an addiction as strong as nicotine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join