It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet 9/11 attack planned for April 1st? Some High Tech Co.s seem to Think so.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
It seems, some high tech security companies think on April 1st the internet may have a "terrorist" attack - where as the internet could go down, by this worm taking down websites.

As suggested the MSM, specifically CNN has been discussing how a new virus can take down the net.

Now, various High Tech security officals have come out, saying April 1st is when there will be a coordinated attack across the world, which could take websites down.

OH, CNN is running a story RIGHT NOW about the new cyber Ghostnet worm!! Interesting....

Is this going to be a false flag internet 9/11? Next question, will it end up taking down sites like this?

link to article: tech.yahoo.com...

The fast-moving Conficker computer worm, a scourge of the Internet that has infected at least 3 million PCs, is set to spring to life in a new way on Wednesday — April Fools' Day.

That's when many of the poisoned machines will get more aggressive about "phoning home" to the worm's creators over the Internet. When that happens, the bad guys behind the worm will be able to trigger the program to send spam, spread more infections, clog networks with traffic, or try and bring down Web sites.

Technically, this could cause havoc, from massive network outages to the creation of a cyberweapon of mass destruction that attacks government computers.

More likely, these researchers say, the programming change that goes into effect April 1 is partly symbolic — an April Fools' Day tweaking of Conficker's pursuers, who for now have been able to prevent the worm from doing significant damage.

Here is where they set the internet, possibly going down scenerio....

So far, Conficker-infected machines have been trying to connect each day to 250 Internet domains — the spots on the Internet where Web sites are parked. The bad guys need to get just one of those sites under their control to send their commands to the botnet. (The name Conficker comes from rearranging letters in the name of one of the original sites the worm was connecting to.)

Now those efforts will get much harder. On April 1, many Conficker-infected machines will generate a list of 50,000 new domains a day that they could try. Of that group, the botnet will randomly select 500 for the machines to actually query.

The bad guys still need to get only one of those up and running to connect to their botnet. And the bigger list of possibilities increases the odds they'll slip something by the security community.

Researchers already know which domains the infected machines will check, but pre-emptively registering them all, or persuading the registrars to neutralize all of them, is a bigger hurdle.

"We expect something will happen, but we don't quite know what it will look like," said Jose Nazario, manager of security research for Arbor Networks, a member of the "Conficker Cabal," an alliance trying to hunt down the worm's authors.

Conficker's authors also have updated the worm so infected machines have new ways to talk to each other. They can share malicious commands rather than having to contact a hacked Web site for instructions.

That variation is important because it shows that even as security researchers have neutralized much of what the botnet might do, the worm's authors "didn't lose control of their botnet," said Michael La Pilla, manager of the malicious code operations team at VeriSign Inc.'s iDefense division.

link to article about it being a false flag attack:
undergroundbrooklyn.com...

In what has become a bit of a disturbing trend this week, yet another computer infiltration article was posted today on CNN.com.

According to the article, "nearly 1,300 computers in more than 100 countries have been attacked and have become part of an computer espionage network apparently based in China, security experts alleged in two reports Sunday."

The mysterious network, dubbed "Ghostnet" by researchers, has many dubious capabilities, including the ability to see everything in a network, as well as "hear the people using it", according to the article. "GhostNet is capable of taking full control of infected computers, including searching and downloading specific files, and covertly operating attached devices, including microphones and web cameras," the report says."

The sudden rash of these types of stories over the span of just a few days seems more than just a strange coincidence. Especially given the fact, according to an article posted by earlier this week here at Underground Brooklyn, Australia is moving toward an "Internet Blacklist". In the article, I outlined how the list is "not censorship of the type practiced by China or Saudi Arabia", it has effectively included over 2,400 sites, including a dentist's office, poker sites and a PG-rated site displaying images by a controversial Australian photographer.

This move by the Australian government, combined with major pushes from Europe for extreme net censorship and the dire warnings about this Chinese "Ghostnet", is indeed putting up red flags

According to a post on the "ReleaseLog" blog on Wednesday (directly sourced from PC World), "China appears to be blocking all access to YouTube...YouTube use from China started dropping off the map sometime Monday night, with traffic nearly reaching a standstill by Tuesday morning. Google (which owns YouTube) has confirmed the apparent ban, though its staff is not certain of the cause. “We do not know the reason for the blockage, and we’re working as quickly as possible to restore access to our users in China,” a spokesperson says. Google does believe the Chinese government knowingly cut the access. The spokesperson, however, questions why officials wouldn't have just blocked a specific video, as they’ve done before, rather than nixing the entire site."

And finally, in a video posted on YouTube by Russia Today on Thursday, under a newly proposed "international copyright treaty", the government may be given open access to people's personal computers. The video can be seen below:

Whether or not any of this pans out into an actual massive cyberattack, false-flag or legitimate, remains to be seen, of course. However, the eerie resemblances it all has to the "terror drills" carried out by the US Government in the weeks leading up to, as well as on the day of, the 9\11 attacks in New York City and Washington, cannot be denied.

I know there is lots of external info here, but please read the whole articles. Plus, question.... how do they know this "worm" is set to go to the extreme on April 1st? Where did they get that information? And if they do know this and have known it, why haven't they tried to stop it already?

So, now the next question, is this the "perfect" way for the govt. to control the internet access and information given out? Is this the ultimate "censorship" of the internet?

I guess we will find out in 2 days..... if any of this comes true, and if in fact we have an internet 9/11 terrorist false flag attack.

So, we have been forewarned........

[edit on 30-3-2009 by questioningall]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Last year it was the Congo T-Rex found april fools hoax.

Could this be more fear-mongering on the day of all hoax days?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
A related story:
www.thaindian.com...

Gordon Brown has been warned about a cyber attack possibly planned on the U.K.'s telecom for April 1st.

London, Mar. 29 (ANI): Intelligence chiefs have cautioned the Gordon Brown Government about the possibility of China launching a cyber attack on Britain’s telecom system.

British Telecom’s new communications network has been installed by Chinese telecom giant ‘Huawei’, which is allegedly funded by Beijing and has links to the People’s Liberation Army.

In case of a war like situation, China could use BT to halt critical services such as power, food and water supplies, Times Online quotes intelligence officials, as saying.

In January, the Chairman of the Joint Intelligence Committee, Alex Allan, briefed a ministerial committee led by Home Secretary Jacqui Smith about the threat from China, Whitehall sources have claimed.

The ministerial committee on national security was told that Huawei components that form key parts of BT’s new 10 billion pound network might already contain malicious elements waiting to be activated by China.

Experts seconded intelligence chiefs’ warnings.

So the blame for any cyber attack that happens in all articles, lays it at China's feet.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

I don't know about the "fear mongering" part, but the media sure is setting the possibilites of something happening out into the public, besides govts releasing info of "knowledge" of intent.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
And Rockefeller saying Internet is a big threat to them... They sure want to take down internet to put us into internet controlled so 9/11 truth and exposing of governement ends.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Just in case, I'm turning my computer clock back a year and also not going on the Net on the 1st April.
Don't know how effective this will be but at least I'll feel like I've done something.

Aussies be warned, the 1st ticks over here sooner than the rest of the world.
So maybe trying to avoid the net for 2 days might help???

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

It won't be the personal computers per se attacked it will be the "Domains" attacked.

It will be the internet hosting sites attacked and internet sites.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
And Rockefeller saying Internet is a big threat to them... They sure want to take down internet to put us into internet controlled so 9/11 truth and exposing of governement ends.

I was just thinking of this ... god if they destroy the Internet i'm going to be so ANGRY

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Apparently they've cracked it so admin's can easily spot and remove Conficker as it's own coding leaves a 'fingerprint'. www.theregister.co.uk...

Highly convenient. I believe that most viruses are developed by anti-virus teams for the benefit of increased sales... after all no virus = no anti-virus software required.

This is also why there's no cure for cancer. Charity -now that's BIG business - OT, but sort of relevant.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Thanks for that info.
I must have read the info wrong and got myself worried for nothing.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
More information on worm:

tech.yahoo.com...

an event that hits the computer world only once every few years, security experts are racing against time to mitigate the impact of a bit of malware which is set to wreak havoc on a hard-coded date. As is often the case, that date is April 1.

Malware creators love to target April Fool's Day with their wares, and the latest worm, called Conficker C, could be one of the most damaging attacks we've seen in years.

Conficker first bubbled up in late 2008 and began making headlines in January as known infections topped 9 million computers. Now in its third variant, Conficker C, the worm has grown incredibly complicated, powerful, and virulent... though no one is quite sure exactly what it will do when D-Day arrives.

Conficker is clever in the way it hides its tracks because it uses an enormous number of URLs to communicate with HQ. The first version of Conficker used just 250 addresses each day -- which security researchers and ICANN simply bought and/or disabled -- but Conficker C will up the ante to 50,000 addresses a day when it goes active, a number which simply can't be tracked and disabled by hand.

At this point, you should be extra vigilant about protecting your PC: Patch Windows completely through Windows Update and update your anti-malware software as well. Make sure your antivirus software is actually running too, as Conficker may have disabled it.

Microsoft also offers a free online safety scan here, which should be able to detect all Conficker versions.

Here is the Microsoft site, to check your computer

onecare.live.com...

It is searching my computer right now.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Use the above link.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

I was wrong, it does affect individual computers too, the way it read, was it was going to be Domain servers only, but it actually does affect individual computers too.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

At the link above, Microsoft has security updates and you can check your computer for them.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
All the media is running something about it now.

This is from MSNBC

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The fast-moving Conficker computer worm, a scourge of the Internet that has infected at least 3 million PCs, is set to spring to life in a new way on Wednesday — April Fools' Day.

That's when many of the poisoned machines will get more aggressive about "phoning home" to the worm's creators over the Internet. When that happens, the bad guys behind the worm will be able to trigger the program to send spam, spread more infections, clog networks with traffic, or try and bring down Web sites.

Technically, this could cause havoc, from massive network outages to the creation of a cyberweapon of mass destruction that attacks government computers. But researchers who have been tracking Conficker say the date will probably come and go quietly.

Seems that all of MSM has gotten into the act of "warning" us.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Most likely nothing noticeable will happen, thanks to the hard work of the people trying to prevent the worm from doing anything.

the 9/11 conparison isn't a very good one; thousands of people died in that attack, the worst this could do is DDos a few sites and cause a few hundred thousand plus dollars worth of technical inconvenience.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Well I own several IT companies along with a few telecomuncations companies in the US and Canada and have had some complaints from my IT guys concerning this recent threat.

However, this is begining to sound like Y2K when really there should not be a very big cause for alarm. Even if this thing does go live on the first, it would only require ISP's to shut down their services while the bugs were removed.

I mean any form of software that does what this thing is supposedly going to do, can't hide itself too well once the actual program turns on.

I am sure that we will be just fine, maybe google and yahoo will be down for a few days, but I assume that most large companies will be very well protected and have a alternative to anything that comes up.

I know my guys do

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I've looked into the Conficker worm and have decided it's not worth worrying about. Everyone is upset because it's *slightly* harder to remove than your average bug as it stands and is going to get *slightly* harder on april 1st because it's going to get an upgrade. It's actually still easy to remove it, assuming you actually DO get infected (symantec and several others have a scanner/remover for this bug) and odds are you aren't infected anyway. It's certainly NOT an online 9/11, it's just some Russian mobsters trying to hijack your computer for use in a botnet. Update windows, update your anti-virus/anti-malware apps, get a decent firewall (i said "decent", windows firewall doesn't qualify
) download and run one of the removers for this bug and you should be fine.

TheAssociate

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

CBC's technology analyst Jesse Hirsh said no one really knows what's going to happen on April 1, if anything at all. Conficker could be the equivalent of a "digital Pearl Harbor," he said. Or, it could be the world's biggest April Fool's joke, as postulated in the New York Times.

Conficker will work like this, says Hirsh. On April 1, the worm will wriggle into computers through weaknesses in the Windows operating system. (Worms don't come in attachments the way viruses do.) It will turn off any anti-viral software and then direct that computer to connect to 500 web URLs a day from among a group of 50,000. One of those thousands of URLs will contain instructions for what the computer is to do next.

"There's two likely scenarios. One is like an April Fool's joke, which will be a type of vandalism, say, targeting a famous website, but what really has security people worried is that millions of computers may direct themselves against the root servers, the arteries that allow the internet to flow freely," said Hirsh.

Microsoft has a tool that people can download that both identifies and removes Conficker, said Hirsh.

It is either a huge hoax, or can be a huge problem, I guess we will find out tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

thanks for bringing that up, i was on here because i was thinking the same thing when i heard this on the news driving to work this morning. i thought it must be the problem that they're creating to give us a solution. more strict internet. obama bringin change out the ass.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Is this their way of covertly getting rid of sites like these?

We will know after april first if we can't access this site and others like it.

Somebody make a list of all sites regarding material like this ( stuff we talk about on here )

And then after this is supposed to happen we can just check them all of the list and see what sites are still running and who RUNS them .
Sound good?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join