It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamic Law's Influence in America a Growing Concern

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Islamic Law's Influence in America a Growing Concern

www.foxnews.com

As America's Muslim population grows, so too does the influence of Islamic law, or Shariah, in daily life in the U.S.

"Shariah Law is the totality of the Muslim's obligation," said Abdullahi An-Na'im, a professor of law at Emory University in Atlanta. According to An-Na'im, Shariah is similar to Jewish Talmudic Law or Catholic Canon Law in that it guides an adherent's moral conduct.

"As a citizen, I am a subject of the United States," An-Na'im said. "I owe allegiance to the United States, to the Constitution of the United States. That is not inconsistent with observing a religious code in terms of my own personal behavior."

While many view this as a testament to the "great American melting pot," others see Islamic law's growing influence as a threat. Shariah's critics point to cases such as the airport in Minneapolis, where some Shariah-adherent taxi drivers made headlines in 2006 for refusing to pick up passengers they suspected of carrying liquor. The drivers' aversion to alcohol stemmed from a verse in the Qur'an that describes "intoxicants and gambling" as "an abomination of Satan's handiwork."

Last year, a Tyson Foods plant in Shelbyville, Tenn. replaced its traditional Labor Day holiday with paid time off on Eid al-Fitr, the Muslim festival — marking the end of fasting during Ramadan. A labor union had requested the change on behalf of hundreds of Muslim employees— many of them were immigrants from Somalia.

But public outcry over the decision to dismiss Labor Day quickly prompted the company and union to negotiate a new contract that makes accommodations for both holidays.

In 2007, the University of Michigan installed ritual foot baths to accommodate Islamic tradition. "These things are beginning to percolate up as Shariah-adherent Muslims insist that their preferences and practices be accommodated by the rest of the population," said Frank Gaffney, founder and president of the Center for Security Policy — a Washington think tank.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I don’t have anything against Muslims and apologies to the Muslims here on ATS if ever this article or my comments hurt your feelings.

I find this of great concern the growing influence of Islamic law not just in America but also in other none Islamic countries. I find this completely outrageous the lack of understanding on the part of many Muslims around the world. All those Muslims who seeks immigration or asylum in the US or any other country tend to impose their laws instead of adopting the law of that country.

We have to abide to their laws whenever we visit their country then why can’t they do the same when they visit or immigrate to another country?

No one should be above the Law and the same Law should apply to every single citizen living in a country. It is totally unacceptable to different laws applying to people with different religions.

I strongly believe that all those country still open for immigration or asylum seeker to make it mandatory to any of those people Muslim or not that they should abide to law of that country and that no special right will be granted to them. Everyone is free to practice their religion but no special treatment should be give to anyone.

Sometimes I ask myself whether Islam has waged a different type of war by infiltrating the US and other westernised countries and try to impose their laws and culture with the ultimate objective to takeover the entire world……

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-3-2009 by rattan1]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
You think that there is a growing Islamic influence in the US now?

Wait until after the war in Iraq and Afghanistan are over, with the influx of refugees from both countries falafel stands will be like Starbucks and Mosques will be like Episcopalian churches.

You broke it; you bought it!!

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I can see why SHARIAH LAW would be very appealing to governments.
Especially ones with dictatorial tendencies.
I can't see Americans going for this.
Muslims might have to wait a few more decades to get their numbers up before this would even have a chance of getting off the ground IMO.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
A quote from Theodore Roosevelt expressing his views in immigrants. He said they should assimilate, become loyal Americans, and speak English.

maranatha777.wordpress.com...

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American…There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

www.truthorfiction.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I come from a small island in the Indian ocean where we have about 20% of the population are Muslims and guest what, they have something in our constitution that is called the MUSLIM PERSONAL LAW with different set of law that apply for them. For example, Polygamy is illegal for everyone else except for the Muslims with a special provision in the Muslim Personal Law.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Good Post there. I believe that this statement should be made law. It should be the criteria or main condition before anyone is granted immigration or asylum. We are not asking for them to convert to another religion, they are free to practice their religion as long as they don’t try to impose it on others through laws and special privileges.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Sharia-adherent Muslims are a small minority within a small minority in the US.

They can "insist on" being accommodated all they want, but they have no more legal right than fundamentalist Christians to make demands of others, and far less political power.

Worrying about fundamentalist Islam taking over the US is like worrying about Radical Wicca or crazed extremist model railroaders taking over - it 's probably considerably less likely in fact.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
It is a concern.

There are many good Muslims who only want to live in peace, but there are also Muslims like the following.

Homegrown Jihad

The Islamic extremist Muslims are encouraged to act like moderate Muslims, but when they have the chance to strike, and kill infidels whenever they can they will do it.

Unfortunately, it will be a problem, and many good people on both sides, Muslims, and non-Muslims, will suffer, and are suffering because of Islamic extremist groups like the one shown in that video.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Worrying about fundamentalist Islam taking over the US is like worrying about Radical Wicca or crazed extremist model railroaders taking over - it 's probably considerably less likely in fact.

The Wiccans, and most of the other fundamentalist groups in the U.S. are not hell-bent on starting a war, creating chaos, and killing Americans.

There are plenty of minority Islamic extremists around the world who control entire countries, and have the populations of those countries terrorized. If we are not careful the same could happen here.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

"These things are beginning to percolate up as Shariah-adherent Muslims insist that their preferences and practices be accommodated by the rest of the population," said Frank Gaffney, founder and president of the Center for Security Policy

Exactly, Shariah-adherent Muslims.

They are not referring to Muslims.

Shariah is not of the Quran.

It is a fabrication of the sunni sect's political and influential power.

IMO, this accounts for more or less than 50% of actual Muslims in the world.

Islam is not going to rule or take over America, as many of these headlines would have you believe.

Look, same stuff here for example.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I have a few Muslim friends and even they are concerned with the growing extremism amongst them. And as you said some of them are taught to act normal. They are like ticking time bombs waiting for the right time to explode

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

good ole teddy. truer words were never spoken.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by rattan1
I have a few Muslim friends and even they are concerned with the growing extremism amongst them. And as you said some of them are taught to act normal. They are like ticking time bombs waiting for the right time to explode.

Well that is quite the contradictory statement.

A few friends you have whom are concerned with an 'alleged' growing extremism, yet they are just waiting to explode?

That doesn't make any sense.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

I don't think he is referring to his friends but others within the Muslim community

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Well either way, I don't believe that there is any 'growing extremism'.

They've been saying this in the west for a very long time. Especially since 9/11.

Why would Muslims want to grow extremist now anyways?

In any society, in any religion, in any culture, in any nation.. there will always be radicals.

So why the extra nitpicking on Islam?

Because they wish to demonize and stereotype the people of this religion.

This way, the wars are always somehow justified. And accepted and supported by the people.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

You are right Shariah is not of the Quran. However, 50% or less of them adhering to this law is a huge number and it is growing. Bottom line is whether it is Shariah or any other type of Muslim law it should not be allowed to influence others. These laws are meant for Islamic countries and should remain there.

What is more of a concern is that nothing is being done to curb extremism within the Muslim community. The US and other countries will soon end up like the UK with terrorist attack perpetrated by home grown terrorists and not by people from Afghanistan or any s#$* hole.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
As a Republic immigrants should be expected to adopt American values without exception. Multiculturalism is overly democratic and ultimately destructive.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Nicely said I personally can't figure out whats to complain about here? They don't want to work on their religious holidays like every other person and where their numbers are high enough such things as foot baths can be put in.

Complaining about that directly goes against what America supposedly stands for ie freedom of religion. Either you can hate every single arab/muslim for no logical reason or you can respect their rights and live your own life.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majorion
Well either way, I don't believe that there is any 'growing extremism'.

They've been saying this in the west for a very long time. Especially since 9/11.

Why would Muslims want to grow extremist now anyways?

In any society, in any religion, in any culture, in any nation.. there will always be radicals.

So why the extra nitpicking on Islam?

Because they wish to demonize and stereotype the people of this religion.

This way, the wars are always somehow justified. And accepted and supported by the people.

You’ve got it all wrong. There is a growing extremism amongst them. Look at Pakistan…..you can’t tell me that extremism is not growing and the very reason of that is the current war the US has engaged itself in. The US launching of missiles in Pakistan tribal region killing many innocent people is forcing many not just in Pakistan but Muslims in other countries to become extremists. War is certainly no the solution to this.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join