It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Food

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
With all the talk about child obesity around I was wondering what peoples thoughts were about the food they serve at school.

Most schools serve the regular over-greased meals with vegetables and a milk. But when you get to high school and middle school you have a choice of pizza and french fries and other greasy crap. At first I didn't think much of it, but then obesity became a problem and several schools are considering taking away the coke machines.

A kid at my mom's school broke his ankle. He didn't drink much milk or anything, damien's and cokes. He broke his ankle by simply jumping. jumping........jumping.
Isn't that ridiculous.

Is it just me or is the school food effecting the way we learn and our health or is this completely retarded to think like this?

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
well... at my High school, they sell Dominoes Bread Sticksand pizza. There's also the big thing of Chili Cheese fries... Don't forget about the Spicy buffalo wings with Hot Sauce poured all over it. ( My favorite thing there) Though I'm not suffering from obesity, I'm sure that's a problem with many other kids at my school. I guess because I'm athletic It doesn't really affect me.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
one time, on this one website on the customer response section, they said that they ordered hamster to serve for lunch at this one school in new york! the school was telling the company how thankful they were since they were in a budget crisis and how the hamsters were cheaper than ordinary meat! here's the site:
Pet's or food

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I wouldn't take one kid breaking his ankle as indicative that he has brittle bones.

Could be a genetic thing, could be that he was bull#ting as was actually doing something very, very stupid.

Or maybe he just landed wrong. It happens.

But I do agree that school food was pretty much greasified beyond all logical reasoning.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Me n GiantsFan go to the same school... and yup, they sell that plus Big Burgers and all kinds of crap, like Snikckers, big bags of chips, etc. Though those buffalo Wings ARE very good

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
one time, on this one website on the customer response section, they said that they ordered hamster to serve for lunch at this one school in new york! the school was telling the company how thankful they were since they were in a budget crisis and how the hamsters were cheaper than ordinary meat! here's the site:
Pet's or food

Um...that has got to a joke site. Doesn't it?

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Most children today lack excercise at home. They are too busy playing electronic games or watching tv, when they get home from school, to do much anything else. I blame the parents.

You can't blame a school for making your child obese, it isn't their responsibility to make sure that your child is getting adequate exercise. Food is also not their responsibility, they are only required to give people's children the basic food groups.

Solution? Stop letting your children sit around doing nothing - go out and do something with them.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Right on, MrJingles! The food in most schools is pretty bad, as are most cafeterias and restaurants--too much salt, fat; too much processed food, white bread, sugar, etc. The vegetables are usuallly cooked and dead. Overall quality is very low.

The way I see it, to eat well, I have to buy fresh, whole food and prepare it myself and eat it soon--none of this sit-on-the-shelf, preserved junk. One can find good restaurants in places; it seems to be improving.

Food plants have a natural vitality and enzymes that directly nourish our cells, but if they are cooked, processed, and stored for more than a few days, they lose these vital enzymes.

I think most of the health problems in this country are caused by too much cooked, processed food, and not enough fresh, raw food. Children are getting poor dietary education in school cafeterias, which is why responsible parents make lunches for their children. Unfortunately, many food industries have large advertizing budgets. If only more parents would educate their children that most food on TV is bad for their health and that those companies are in it for the money. This is heresy for the religion of consumerism, but it is true.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
First, let's get this straight. People don't need to drink mammary gland excretions from cows in order
to obtain calcium. There are many plant-based sources.

Second, those carbonated drinks leech calcium from your bones, but even if you are physically active and get enough calcium it is quite possible to break an ankle when landing on it inncorrectly.

Many schools in Canada are starting to offer healthier choices and limit the availibility of carbonated soft drinks.

What angers me the most is when companies advertise in schools! Isn't that sick?

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
that pet's or food site is NOT a joke site. that's where i got my dog....ALIVE! i don't plan on eating him. he's still here lying on the ground next to me....ALIVE! and he's about 2 yrs old now. i also got a few ducklings which i donated to the local zoo when they were all grown.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
While I do think school should offer healthy alternatives, I also think they should offer the greasy popular ones.

They restrict food choices for children under the guise of education. I've heard interviews with school officials discussing how it's their job to educate children on good nutrition, do they take away the cokes, and replace it with...fruit juice? It's still a sugar bomb-- only slightly better than the coke.

What they ignore is that this isn't education. It's control. Education is presenting people with the information that they need to make the relevent choices, not removing all choice.

With the removal of foods they want to eat, most children would eat nothing, rather than eat what they are presented. Do we really want our children skipping meals too?

My final point, and I'm verging on ranting here, is that we are talking about ONE meal. If the kid is eating cocoa-puffs for breakfast and a Big Mac for dinner, a cheeseless pizza at lunch isn't going to make a bit of difference.

If they are eating heathy at breakfast and dinner, isn't that 2/3 of the battle?

Schools should be focusing on educating children about nutrition and TEACH them to make good choices. It would serve them far better for life.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AuburnFox

Schools should be focusing on educating children about nutrition and TEACH them to make good choices. It would serve them far better for life.

Right, why take away choice? Its not only schools, it bad parents, that dont want to teach kids the right things, and want to depend on others to do it for them.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Heh at my gradeschool they'd force kids to eat everything on their plates if they got schoolfood. You didn't get to go to recess till your tray was clean..

and the best part, they forced kids to randomly work on the lunch force or whatever they called it. These kids basically had to dish up the trays for everyone else.. etc.. but as a "bonus" they got (forced actually, you couldn't turn it down) twice as much of everything as the other kids... and yet still had to follow the eat everything or don't go out to play..

Then in highschool we had about 10 pop machines, and 1 juice/water machine.. but it was way #in far in the back of the school where absolutely nothing was.. no class rooms.. just a storage room and bathroom.. most kids didn't even know about it till 3rd year of highschool.

But I agree if you want kids to stop being obese you have to have the school help a little bit.. (more alternatives to pop, healthier choices at lunch etc) and have the parents actually do something.. you can't bitch at your kid for being a fatass while gobling down a bigmac in front of the TV...

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnweb
Right on, MrJingles! The food in most schools is pretty bad, as are most cafeterias and restaurants--too much salt, fat; too much processed food, white bread, sugar, etc. The vegetables are usuallly cooked and dead. Overall quality is very low.

Yep. If you want quality food for your kids at school, make it for them your damn self. Get your fat ass off the couch and make them something. Don't have time? Too friggin' bad. Make time. That's what being a parent is all about.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
When I was in elementary school we didn't have a cafeteria or anything, so we always had to bring our own lunches. Every other week or so we would have pizza day or hotdog day, and they would sell milk and popcorn at lunch, as well.

In highschool, they of course had the option of greasy food, pizza, subs, burgers, fries, etc., but there was always a nice choice of more healthy foods, as well. They always had a nice supply of apples, bananas, and other fruits, yogurts, rice, salads, etc., to choose from. If you teach your kids about nutrition, they can make the right choices. That doesn't mean they will, of course.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The problem brought up in our county was the fact that they weren't even providing any healthy choices. So instead of offering healthy choices, they were just going to take away all the food and serve soy burgers.

It would be nice if they would teach through inculcation, but there really isn't enough money for that. So all they do is give us the option of taking a cooking class.

I guess they were getting too many complaints that there children were fat and they didnt know why...

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
i know of school that have already taken out thier coke machines and only left juice!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
That's not a bad move, but healthy food choices, IMO, is more important that just ridding the school of soft drinks.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
Pet's or food

hmmmm....
"Dodo Bird
In 1997 the Ecuadorian biologist Arturo Eugenio discovered a cr�che of Dodo Bird in the Carrera Islands off the coast Brazil. Dr. Eugenio has successfully bred the bird, one thought to be extinct, and has entered into an exclusive distribution arrangement with Pets or Food� to offer the Dodo to American markets. Due to some rather obscure U.S. laws, however, ownership of a living Dodo is against the law. Pets or Food� can only ship Ready to Eat� Dodo meet to US customers. Don't miss this incredible opportunity to discover the taste that led to the Dodo's extinction!
- $17,000 each "
if the site is real, i bet theyre ripping people of by using rat meat or something and claiming its dodo meat

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I never ate school lunch in elementary school because my mom pakced my lunch from home.

Middle school was the first time I've eaten food in the school. It's alright, not that bad. I always looked forward for Friday's because pizza and corn.

In high school I never ate that #. Seniors in my high school all were allowed to leave campus for lunch so I always jetted to Subway's practically everyday because I got free sub's because I was cool with the manager.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join