It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Food

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Our new principle took away all the chips sold and cookies, candy, etc. and replaced them with pretzels, nutrigrain bars, and other crap. We still have pop machines and a candy machine, though.

We're kids. If we want some damn junkfood we'll find a way to get it. Our school is a closed campus, but does that stop us? hell no, we all just zip off to a mcdonalds.

Now Im not fat since I run 4 miles a day and play soccer. But about 1/8 kids at my school are fat. Maybe we should make some sort of candy machine with a scale on it, and if you are too fat it wont let you buy any candy. Lol, jk. Maybe they should just encourage sports more.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
School food IS disgusting and not healthy, but thier trying to help! where im from they are taking all the coke machines out and just having fruit juices and v8 drinks

someday everything will be okay! and they are already working on it! i think they should help with the food instead of the drinks

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
it's sure to PO PETA.

Maybe we should order half dozen of everything....live?

G

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
They wouldn't let me check out.

G

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
There are two methods of thought here.

I: By the time you reach high school, youshould be able to control yourself enough to not go around shoveling whatever unhealthy stubstance there is into your mouth. Thusly, if you're overweight, it's your own responsibility.

Problem:
My school, at least, had very, very limited selections of healthyfood. There weren't any diet drinks available, and there maybe half a dozen granola bars and a rather paltry looking "salad bar." All in all, there wasn'tmuch of an option.

II: Have a huge overhaul of school food, effectively eliminating anything unhealthy: No processed cheeses, more protein, less fat, more complex carbohydrates, etc.

Problem: It'd be hugely expensive. By the time I left, high school lunches (for a milk, entree, and piece of fruit) were hovering around two dollars a pop.

Ergo...
It seems as if the best way to goabout "healthy-fying" the student populace is to provide a smaller selection of unhealthy/junk foods (there should still be some, because - as a prior post pointed out - kids are going to get junk no matter what), and a larger selection of healthier foods.
I don't think it's the school's responsibility to track what every kid is eating, especially by the time they get to high school. Their job is to provide students with the materials to make the proper decisions, and then let the students make their own nutritional decisions.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join