It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army vet billed $3,000 for war wounds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Army vet billed $3,000 for war wounds

www.cnn.com

Erik Roberts, an Army sergeant who was wounded in Iraq, underwent his 13th surgery recently to save his right leg from amputation. Imagine his shock when he got a bill for $3,000 for his treatment.

"I just thought it was bull---- that I'm getting billed for being wounded in Iraq doing my job. I always put the mission first, and now that I was wounded in Iraq, they're sending me bills," he said.

"I put my life on the line and I was wounded in combat, and I came back and they're not going to take care of my medical bills?"

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This is unacceptable. This man has risked his life and paid a high price for his sacrifice. How is this justified?

The government is spending billions of tax dollars to save wall street crooks, but doesn't have the money to care for its injured soldiers. Americans better stand up fast and shout their displeasure before vetrens are left with nothing for their sacrifice.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-3-2009 by FreeSpeaker]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This is not really a story. It actually happens all the time. All he has to do is go to the Tricare office, or even call them and explain what happened and they take care of it.

I broke my ankle a few years ago and the same thing happened to me. It is just something that fell through the crack. Mistakes happen. This is one of them, he won't be paying for anything.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
This is not really a story. It actually happens all the time. All he has to do is go to the Tricare office, or even call them and explain what happened and they take care of it.

I broke my ankle a few years ago and the same thing happened to me. It is just something that fell through the crack. Mistakes happen. This is one of them, he won't be paying for anything.

Yup same with me too. Had a hand injury and got a bill when I was in. Normally just a paper error and if you make a few calls the bill will disappear.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

Tunrs out Sen. Sherrod Brown of Ohio urged the VA to act. Shouldn't have taken a Senator to clear this up, they should have realized the mistake as you mentioned but that didn't happen.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

I don't see how this ended up on CNN.

I hope the person who posted this with outrage learned that you can't always believe what you read.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Of course he got involved. CNN contacted him. You think he was going to sit on his butt? No, he is going to grandstand and puff out his chest.

If CNN hadn't been called and normal channels had been taken, then it wouldn't be a big story and you wouldn't be so outraged over nothing.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I don't see how this ended up on CNN.

I hope the person who posted this with outrage learned that you can't always believe what you read.

Did you read the article? Whats not to believe?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

That he would have had to pay for the bill if he had taken proper channels....Like I said before.

Happens all the time. You don't hear about it on CNN because it gets taken care of in house.

That way false flags like this won't get people like you in an outrage.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

The Robertses say the VA did not approve of them going outside the system. Erik Roberts says he had no choice -- it was have surgery or potentially lose his leg.

Source

So he should have lost his leg to follow proper channels?

My "outrage" is out of concern. This isn't the first time I've heard a story like this. I'm sure if I wanted to do some digging, I could find ongoing cases challenging the VA for medical costs.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Yea.

If the VA cannot handle a certain procedure they don't just cut the limb off. You think they still use a Civil War surgeon manual?

They go to the VA and if needed they will send you to another facility for a consult. The private doctor then tells the VA what he is going to do and it is done.

I'm having knee surgery this May and it went exactly like that. They aren't going to give me a wheelchair because they are unable to replace my knee.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

This is unacceptable. This man has risked his life and paid a high price for his sacrifice. How is this justified?

This will be part of Obama's "health-care" plan. He intends to make soldiers and their insurance companies pay for their care.

Barack Obama could not care less about our soldiers and their welfare.

See this story from last Monday:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Not if Obama's health care plan goes through as he proposed.

He expects soldiers and their insurance companies to foot the bill:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

They go to the VA and if needed they will send you to another facility for a consult. The private doctor then tells the VA what he is going to do and it is done.

Everything is so clean cut to you, black and white.

WASHINGTON, Nov 17 (Reuters) - A report released on Monday concluded that Gulf War syndrome is a legitimate illness suffered by more than 175,000 U.S. war veterans who were exposed to chemical toxins in the 1991 Gulf War.

The congressionally mandated report could help veterans who have battled the government for treatment of a wide range of unexplained neurological illnesses, from brain cancer to multiple sclerosis.

The committee, composed of independent scientists and veterans, said Congress should boost funding for research on Gulf War veterans' health to at least $60 million per year.

"This is a national obligation, made especially urgent by the many years that Gulf War veterans have waited for answers and assistance," the committee said.

Source

So they just needed to go to the VA and "it is done".
Your words, not mine.

In a 2 minute search, I found vets fighting for assistance for over a decade. They were exposed to toxins, whats there to debate?

The fact that the guy in the OP was billed in the first place shows the lack of respect for the veterens after their duty is complete. I know its not all bad according to some of the first replies on this thread, but there should be no cracks to fall through or arguments over covering treatment costs.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
USA is disgusting , it does not take care of its soldiers who fought for it

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Not if Obama's health care plan goes through as he proposed.

He expects soldiers and their insurance companies to foot the bill:

If you payed attention to that paticular story you would know that because the vets pressured him so much he took it off the table.

Last Week.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Look you can read what you want and believe it. I don't really care. I have had to deal with them and I have had no problems with them.

You don't want anyone to fall through the cracks? That would be nice and all, but this is the real world and as far as I know we don't have a perfect system for anything.

Gulf War Syndrom was not seen as a combat illness. Now that it is viewed as such the VA takes care of it. The article does call it an UNEXPLAINED illness.

Welcome to the not so perfect world. Hope your stay is a good one.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Star and Flag.

If there is ANYBODY whose healthcare the government is responsible for, it is that of those they send overseas to die.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Stop it stop it.

It was ON THE TABLE. That is what is disgusting. Get your head out of BO bottom to see him for what he really is.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

Yea I agree it was disgusting.

I was one of those that spoke out against it. But I can't fault him for doing something he didn't do. I'm sure you will see my post in the thread that was posted and I made a thread about him bowing to the masses.

Oh an for your info. I am not an Obama freak. I did not vote for him and I am critical of him when it calls for it. I do not follow or hate blindly.

[edit on 27-3-2009 by jd140]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join