It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

injured: My encounter with police, ambulance, citizens, refused to help me

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
So i decided to go running like i do every night with a very powerful headlamp on my forehead to light my path, 2.5 miles into my run my foot hit something as i was distracted and twisted, i fell with it but not fast enough and twisted my ankle very badly, it was a cold night and i lay on the ground moaning until the pain subsided enough to where i could be quiet, i lay here for 40 minutes as car after car slows down to look at me and passes by. eventually a woman turns her car around and gets out and asks me if im OK, i say no, i need a ride home, its just up the street 2 miles, she is fearful of giving me a ride home so i say i understand, 3 more cars stop and she tells them she doesn't feel comfortable giving me a ride home, they all refuse as well and leave me lying there in the cold, im shivering pretty good at this point as she says she will call her husband, her husband arrives 15 minutes later and offers me a jacket and they just stand around me (i was thinking he would bring me home) the cops arrive 10 min later...along with a ambulance and the ambulance driver tells me he cannot bring me home only to the hospital, the cop tells me he is not a taxi service. The ambulance driver tells me I am starting to enter into the beginning stages of hypothermia and he is concerned about this (never offers me a blanket) then proceeds to tell me they are going to have to leave me here unless i can call someone to pick me up (except he says it like...we really don't want to leave you here that just wouldn't be right...but says if call comes in they are out!). (i tried calling several people they were all asleep, so i call my dad who i thought was asleep because i called before and wouldn't pick up,,he picks up this time and comes and gets me).....

i was laying on the ground for a total of 1 hour 15 minutes and was shivering violently by the time my dad picks me up. (mind you the whole time the cop was there talking to the ambulance guy he was telling him how this was his second call tonight and he had nothing to do and was bored...this was right before they told me they would have to leave me here unless someone came to pick me up...my house was close enough that if there was no trees you could see it in the distance...)

we are already slaves, fall, hurt yourself, lay there, watch what happens. people are afraid, very afraid. (or just greedy)

PROTECT AND TO SERVE? YEA RIGHT

Luke 21:26

"Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken."

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Wow, that's total CRAP man!!!
It must depend on the state and/or city in which you live, because i've had cops give me rides home a couple of times...for reasons undisclosed

But that is awful, we pay good tax money for their services, and yet they can't give you a ride right down the road? Sickening.
You planning on raising any hell about this?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about that man.

Hope your ankle gets better.

Shame on the cop, could have at least got you a blanket

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'll tell you right now I would givem you a ride, walked you into your house and even helped you get medicine before I left.

You should have gotten that cops badge number and submitted a complaint.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Yea, asking for that badge number would have got you a ride alright. I'm just not sure where to and how you feel when you got there. Of course, the ambulance could pick you up then.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by daersoulkeeper

Sounds like you live in America.
I've been unable to walk home after hurting my ankle back in high school. I probably would have made it on my own, but some folks saw me struggling and helped me the rest of the way back from school back then.

If your ankle was hurt pretty bad, I mean... I would never go to the hospital myself in that situation, but... why not have a doctor check it out if you're unable to hobble home? And why go out running in the freezing cold?

Reading news stories these days, I'm surprised the cops didn't taser you. You must not be living in a major city.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The cop was absolutely right, he's not a taxi service.

The paramedics were right, if you didnt feel you needed to go to hospital why should they ferry you about. Your ankle is either hurt and needs treatment or you've just strained it and your capable of making your own way home.

Thats the problem...too many people think the World owes them and they should be waited on hand and foot.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Problem with today's society. The people are afraid to give you a ride home because of 2 reasons. First being they do not know you or if you would try to do something even if injured. Second being they don't want to run the risk of being sued for anything. The good Samaritan law doesn't seem to hold any weight any more.

It is a shame that the police or ambulance did not give you a ride home.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Reading news stories these days, I'm surprised the cops didn't taser you. You must not be living in a major city.

Makes you wanna rethink your place in society

I mean if TSHTF , people are gonna be running others over like

they were speed bumps

Sorry to here bout your lousy nite m8

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I had a cop give me a ride to a phone once. My car had broken down on the side of the interstand in a major city. I had no cell phone and no way to safely cross 3 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic going 60mph. When the officer pulled over I said to him, "Sir, you can hand cuff me, put me in the back, heck you can put me in the trunk if you like. However you need to do it to feel safe doing it. But is there any way you could take me to the nearest phone?"

He just laughed and gave me a ride to a phone.

However, another time I saw a lady holding a baby on the roadside. He car had broken down and it was a hot summer day (almost 90). This time I had a cell phone as well as some bottles of water so I pulled over to offer her use of the phone and some water.

I step out of my truck holding the cell phone and a water bottle and ask, "Do you need help?" She freaks out. Her eyes go wide and she starts yelling, "I've called people!! They are going to be here any second!! Get away from me!!!" Mind you I'm standing at the door to my truck and she is still by her car. I've not taken one step toward her.

I try again - hold out the phone and bottle of water. I say "If you are afraid I can leave these on the ground and step away..." She doesn't calm down and screams, "Go Away! People are on the way!!" So I shrug, get back in my truck and drive away taking her at her word that she has help on the way.

Its a shame what we've come to that people are so afraid of each other.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by onetruesaxon

Yeah excellent mentality, by the way, both of those services and their respective agencies would actually owe him somthing seeing as how it was in his community that he pays taxes in. Also I once got my car towed by the very same cop that gave me a ride home after ticketing me and towing my car.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
That sucks man.

A few months ago I was beaten unconscious by god knows who (don't remember a thing about it).

Any way I come round sat up in the back of an ambulance - I can't of been totally out at that point because they said I got in on my own just with a bit of guidance.

They must of thought it was a bit funney because I was talking nonsense till I came round enough to feel my ribs were killing, I said 'someone hit me didn't they' To which they laughed!! They initially thought I may of been hit by a car because of where I was found, but we agreed I must of been jumped by some kids.

They checked me over - basically just busted ribs - they said 'would you like to go to hospital?' I said 'they never do anything for ribs do they?' nope they said, we can just drop you home if you like, about 3/4's of a mile up a farily steep hill.

Don't know if they were just being lazy, I couldn't be bothered going to a hospital 7 miles away just to have to find my way back. They took me home, I seemed to amuse them quite a bit
I seem to remember offering them a cup of tea... It was 3am!!

Sorry to hear your side of things - some people never go that little bit past their responsibilities for their fellow men.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Thats crap mate, they should have at least tried to contact someone for you and i have been taken home before by ambulance after a bike smash.
Last year i came across a woman lay in a heap in the middle of the road right outdside a tesco petrol station in broad daylight. I thought she had been run over. Cars were just driving around her and when i blocked the road with my car to help her out i just got a load of horns and abuse. Turns out she was a local addict in difficulty but it makes no odds.
People just dont seem to care about anyone but themselves anymore.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by onetruesaxon

What a ridiculous statement.
As I and a previous poster have pointed out, we pay the taxes that keep the fire, emergency and police up and running.

This is crazy though, most cops that I have came across were actually pretty cool as long as you hadn't done something completely asinine.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I am sorry to hear about this: it speaks volumes to me about what people have "become"...are we now defined by the rights/wrongs of a job and not at all invested in the decency of one human being towards another?

Yes I know: there are freakshows out there running amuck...most hold political office these days IMO.

If I happened on someone like you who looked to be in serious distress with no obvious plan to snatch and grab me (God help them!) I'd be the first one to not only stop,but to do everything I could to insure that you'd be warm and as well as I could help you be...
I'm talking just basic comforts and a bit of compassion here,not what couldn't be done for you...you were cold and hurt,would they have left an animal like that?

Karma is a bitch and she DOES come back to get you!

Sure hope you're healing and don't give up on running or nice people,they are out there!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
That's crap. But there are still good people I seen a larger lady fall out of her wheelchair when it tipped off a curb down town in the middle of a heatwave. Everyone on the street came to a screeching halt and helped her get the thing up and help her to her seat.

When I was at Woodstock 99 I passed out from dehydration in the pit. I woke up with two guys carrying me over there shoulders yelling at everyone to get out of their way. I would have been trampled for sure if they didn't pick me up. I told them to put me down but they were big and said I had to go to the medic tent. They dropped me off at the medic tent then I passed right out again then I got free gator aid from the subway girl while watching a guy on something rip a bed he was tied to apart and fight 4 cops with the bed still strapped to him like a weird bed transformer .

It is the place or the danger some times tho. I have seen older people at the mall first in line for the bus and cant lift their bags and hold the rail at the same time. Everyone walks past them and the bus driver just looks at them. I'm covered head to toe in tattoos and piercings but they are more then happy to hand what they have and give me their hand while they climb up the steps. I seen one lady almost miss her Greyhound to the other side of the country cuz she couldn't drag her bag up the bus stair in tears about seeing her family. I got a hug that day. Should have backhanded the driver as I walked past but I needed the ride.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
What a bunch of slobbering boobs! To give someone a ride that planned to run the same distance says they are also heartless morons.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
My grandma tripped and fell on a sidewalk along a busy road. She was in her late seventies at the time, and still very active and healthy.

She broke her leg when she fell, and laid there for almost an hour. Nobody stopped and helped, and people walking even crossed the road to avoid getting anywhere near her. She finally realized that she wasn't going to get any help, and tried to get up. She fell again and broke her wrist. Some time after that, an elderly couple finally stopped and helped her.

It still upsets me, she was never the same after that because she was afraid to walk alone, and her health suffered because of it.

This was 10 years ago, so I guess it's more of a generation gap than something that has all the sudden developed. I don't think she ever would have imagined that she would have laid there that long without anyone offering help. Sorry to hear it happened to you, and glad you are ok.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sty

wow, go running at night, and fall down, u do need help.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
all I can say is that's total crap and I hope your ankle heals quickly. Like many of the posters above, I try and help out people in need when I can. Luckily where I live most of the time that isn't an issue. I was walking out of wal-mart one time and saw someone fall out of the corner of my eye. I looked over and an old lady fell flat on her face, breaking her nose from what it looked like. I had my daughter with me and at first I started to run and get help but I realized she was still in the buggy with our stuff ... so I tried to help her up and she was eh... a bit too heavy. Another walker-by saw what was going on and between him and myself, we got her back on her feet. By that time a small crowd had formed.... I started to freak out a bit so I picked up her glasses and gave them back. After that I had to take a walk around the parking lot, really weird seeing someone in that situation.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join