It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social network sites monitored

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Another little snippet of info that has just come out of the news article. (The article has recently been changed)

"The Cabinet Office already monitors popular social network sites such as Facebook, Netmums, Fixmystreet and Mumsnet to see what users are saying about public services. " BBC News

They are basically admitting that they are already monitoring what we do!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Facebook, Myspace and other social networking sites clearly state in their T&C that they can distribute ANY information you upload onto their sites to 3rd parties for whatever purposes they like.

If you don't like the idea of your personal details being shared anyone and everyone, don't use them.

Fair game people.
When you click "Accept" and sign up to Myspace/Facebook/Bebo, you're agreeing to the above conditions.

The same way ATS states it's not responsible for the usage of any personal information you may post on it's forums.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Facebook is a C.I.A. information farm. If you think the UK has just begun spying on people through facebook you are sadly mistaken.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Ah another facebook is evil post. I love reading these in the morning while I drink some coffee, brings some humor to my morning.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by A NeWorlDisorder

A well-known video here on ATS but thanks for the effort mate

Facebook indeed pawns off confidential information to CIA & NSA data-mining "farms" where they profile people likely to be dissidents or liberals based on their music, film and friend choices and what kind of schools they've attended, etc.

More information here about Facebook's utterly backwards privacy policy, or lack thereof: www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Get a grip.

Read the link: www.washingtonpost.com...

Facebook reserves the right to use your personal information for any reason they see fit, including transferring it to 3rd parties.

Facebook is funded and managed by some very shady individuals with ties to the DOD and CIA:

Facebook's first round of venture capital funding ($US500,000) came from former Paypal CEO Peter Thiel. Author of anti-multicultural tome 'The Diversity Myth', he is also on the board of radical conservative group VanguardPAC.

The second round of funding into Facebook ($US12.7 million) came from venture capital firm Accel Partners. Its manager James Breyer was formerly chairman of the National Venture Capital Association, and served on the board with Gilman Louie, CEO of In-Q-Tel, a venture capital firm established by the Central Intelligence Agency in 1999. One of the company's key areas of expertise are in "data mining technologies".

Breyer also served on the board of R&D firm BBN Technologies, which was one of those companies responsible for the rise of the internet.

Dr Anita Jones joined the firm, which included Gilman Louie. She had also served on the In-Q-Tel's board, and had been director of Defence Research and Engineering for the US Department of Defence.

She was also an adviser to the Secretary of Defence and overseeing the Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), which is responsible for high-tech, high-end development.

It was when a journalist lifted the lid on the DARPA's
Information Awareness Office that the public began to show concern at its information mining projects.

www.nzherald.co.nz...

[edit on 25/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
You say what sort of idiot would paste on facebook but...

Think it was only last week in the papers there was a prison guard reprimanded for having prisoners on his friends list, drug dealers, muggers etc.

I use facebook and I honestly don't care that they can read what I'm doing, they can come and watch as far I'm concerned. If you've got stuff to hide you don't whack it all over your profile unless you're a serious imbecile.

Think its a good idea to keep tabs on some potential trouble makers, could also help with 'grooming' that goes on with some of these social networking sites - could have knock on positive effects.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Report on strengthening security and fundamental freedoms on the Internet
www.statewatch.org...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsallCrazy

The problem with this line of thinking is that those people in charge of searching places like facebook arent looking for specific people, they are looking at everyone for anything that could be used against them.

For example, you have the Joker as your avatar, the Joker is an Anarchist and a terrorist, so that must mean you support the ideas of the Joker and terrorism. You came on here to tell the world you have nothing to hide and you were right, you blatantly exsposed your views about how things should be with a simple avatar. Theres a nice black hood waiting for you and a cell with no windows and no phone to call your lawyer, but it is ok...you have nothing to hide.

You would be surprised what little, petty, meaningless thigns can be held against you in a fascists, war mongering, nation of fear.

Dont take it lightly.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by A NeWorlDisorder

I know what you mean but.. they'd have to have a substantial amount more than just a picture or something along those lines, got a respectable job etc. Plus I am one of the few they will never get any political or religious views out of..

I don't believe in the government

I can see how they would spin this kind of info around on pretty much anyone they see fit though.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I go on facebook daily. i don't worry have anything to hide. It wouldn't really matter if they look at my profile or not.

BUT:

Within the settings of facebook you can set

Who can look at your profile

What they can see

What is the point of having these settings if they can be overridden by the government.

This is just the first steps to monitoring all net traffic.

We need to find a way to stop it before if gets out of hand.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsallCrazy

If you've got stuff to hide you don't whack it all over your profile unless you're a serious imbecile.

That's the entire point.

The government doesn't know what kind of political orientation you favour.

They don't know whether you'd support warrantless surveillance proposals or Internet censorship.

They don't know that you openly criticise the government for it's foreign/fiscal/social policies.

They don't know that'd you voted for Obama/McCain.

They don't know that you're member of ATS, a self-declared conspiracy and anti-authoritarian website.

They want to trawl through all of your information on Facebook to gain an insight into things they DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, but they would like to find out so they can instantaneously profile you as a potential dissident, therefore a troublemaker to keep an eye on.

And with the seemingly harmless information you post on Facebook, e.g:

- Your political orientation.
- Your ethnic background/religion.
- Your age.
- Your location.
- Your job/school.
- Pictures of you.
- Links to videos of political satire shows.
- Bios about your personal experiences in life.
- Even your favourite TV shows/films.

They can find out quite easily, more than you'd want your mother to know about you.

All of this can build up a nice, quick profile of how'd you'd react to certain government actions and whether you're someone they might need to worry about not agreeing with them.

[edit on 25/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

Hmm I see your point, I would have said the American government are a little more paranoid about actions of their citizens than the UK government though, probably why I'm not particularly fussed about it.

Surely with being on god knows how many cameras all day though (with the stupidly sized surveillance network we have here) and they already have your political views... the government are the most likely to know that anyway, they have a picture of me from my driving licence, know what programs I watch from my telly licence, I'm on school and work records already, bank details blah blah blah

Surely with all that above they can't be finding out anything particularly interesting about Mr average Joe from facebook.. Which still leads me to think they don't care what the normal people they already have all this crap on, and are actually after some of the shadier characters from the dark corners of life..

On a lighter note.. I keep getting facebook and myspace mixed up and telling people to come on myface

[edit on 25-3-2009 by ItsallCrazy]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
How in the hell did the British allow this to to happen to them? The British are absolutely dominated by their government.......Dominated. Cameras on every corner, Can't own a fracken handgun to protect yourselves, Political Correctness is out of control, and they spy on everything you do, your all suspects, and you're all too stupid and irresponsible to protect yourselves.

People in that country need to storm the gates. Which will be hard since they took the guns away. I guess when they finally get tired of the stupid !@#$ their government does, they storm the castle with torches and pitchforks, literally, becuase those are the only weapons they won't outlaw......hopefully.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

All stupid and irresponsible?

Not even going dignify that, you've already proved your stupidity by saying that.

Storm the gates? Why what are you doing sat on your ass typing away thats any different, you gonna go in guns blazing rambo style and tell Obama you don't like whats going down?

None of us are going to do that, its not the culture we live in, everything shouldn't have to degenerate into anarchy. Yeh I have to work and I have to pay taxes blah blah, they don't make me do anything or contol anything else I do.. When its necessary I will fight, but I'm not jumping into a car, burning down to London and getting my ass arrested for trying do Gordon Brown over just cos you think we're all irresponsible clowns sat at home going 'I am Gordon Brown's b!tch' doesn't mean your right

Edit to say: Guns don't solve every problem.. you guys are allowed guns and there's more Americans sat on here than there is Brits, how the hell do you think a gun will solve the economic crisis or the CIA spying on you...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Is it against our privacy rights? Of course.. and that's not okay.

But.

If you're not doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to be concerned about. What? We're all going to jail because we're conspiracy theorists and anarchists? Haaaah I'd like them to do that, really.

But they keep this image that they're doing it against the "terrorists" and honestly yes, I do think some members of terrorist organization could use these sites stupidly and why *wouldn't* we use that to our advantage?

People have been talking about the internet police for years. I got rid of my myspace a couple years ago, but I love my Facebook, and I know that my school (for one) has access to it, and the college that I applied to also has ways of getting in to personal pages and things. It doesn't bother me, because I'm not preaching violence, I'm not having intense parties or something, I'm a pretty average teenager and it doesn't really bother me. Parents, aunts, uncles, even grandparents are joining up. Honestly it's just like a personal phonebook, to me. I don't really mind who sees it, I don't accept friend requests from people that I don't know, and honestly I think it's a great networking tool.

And if people get in trouble for drug deals that they talk about on Fbook, or a crime they want to commit, then good.

But, what do I know?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Before someone says 'what do you know indeed...' and then gives you a giant speech about everyone being out to get you, liked your post, feel pretty much the same way

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Just another sign that this lousy government of ours is using George Orwell's book (1984) as an instruction manual

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsallCrazy
reply to post by aravoth

All stupid and irresponsible?

Not even going dignify that, you've already proved your stupidity by saying that.

Storm the gates? Why what are you doing sat on your ass typing away thats any different, you gonna go in guns blazing rambo style and tell Obama you don't like whats going down?

None of us are going to do that, its not the culture we live in, everything shouldn't have to degenerate into anarchy. Yeh I have to work and I have to pay taxes blah blah, they don't make me do anything or contol anything else I do.. When its necessary I will fight, but I'm not jumping into a car, burning down to London and getting my ass arrested for trying do Gordon Brown over just cos you think we're all irresponsible clowns sat at home going 'I am Gordon Brown's b!tch' doesn't mean your right

Edit to say: Guns don't solve every problem.. you guys are allowed guns and there's more Americans sat on here than there is Brits, how the hell do you think a gun will solve the economic crisis or the CIA spying on you...

First off, stupid and irresponsible is not what I think, it's what your government does, that should be obvious. Second, none of you will ever fight any of this off. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that CCTV cameras stick out of urinal's and toilets in the name of Identifying rapists, at the rate $%^@ happens over there.

Degenerate into Anarchy? As if your morally bankrupt Governemnt is a better alternative. Don't feel bad, America in is arguably worse shape. But least we still have the means to fight off that oppression with more than just a butter knife.

So Guns don't solve every problem? I agree, But when a psychopath breaks into your home and tries to kill you, it will solve that problem. When your Government tries to toss you on a cattle car, an armed population will also solve that problem.

With regards to the culture "we" live in. Speak for yourself. Europe has a wonderful history of out right class warfare and social domination. England is no exception. A ruling elite that hates it's own people. Our short history, is somewhat different. For the most part, getting the crap kicked out of us by our government is a new thing here.

Apologize for upsetting you. Hopefully you understand that I am not attacking British people, but the government that Bends them over. Thats all.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Private companies have already been sifting through millions of blogs to compile demographic statistics for years.

Maybe government is finally admitting that it's in bed with the private sector?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join