It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social network sites monitored

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Social network sites

news.bbc.co.uk

Social networking sites like Facebook could be monitored by the UK government under proposals to make them keep details of users' contacts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-3-2009 by mace778]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I guess we've all seen this coming.

The fact they are being open about the fact they are doing it suprises me.

How long until all details about our lives are recorded for the government to use as they see fit?

With the recent "data loss" incidents from the government this should cause more people to stand up and make their views heard about government data mining.

Thoughts please.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
This is why i steer clear of social networking sites like the plague.

Not that that makes any difference, people will kick up about this but if TPTB want to keep an eye on you, they'll either do it or are already doing so.

CX.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mace778

I am interested to know if this covers this site.

ATS is defined as a social content community. I am unsure if the UK gov will see a difference between social networking and social content.

I post some controversial things on here and in gestapo land (UK) it might be deemed as opposing Mr Brown's views.

I believe privacy is a right not a priviledge and because of this I am utterly disgusted with this countries policies.

Looks like I might be leaving this site come April 6th

Maybe a mod or someone could explain if possible??

I would have emailed Mr Brown but he has withdrawn his email facility from the website

[edit on 25-3-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
reply to post by mace778

I am interested to know if this covers this site.

ATS is defined as a social content community. I am unsure if the UK gov will see a difference between social networking and social content.

From what i can make out they are using this as the starting point.

Starting with "Social Networking" but will probably step up in a years time to the whole internet claiming it's "to give MI5, Police and Government assistance in stopping terrorists.

[edit on 25-3-2009 by mace778]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I find it very irritating that there are never a proper set of guidelines when they are introducing things such as this.

If the internet is going to be regulated which I completely disagree with.

If hypothetically someone were to say something such as "I believe that 9/11 was an inside job to allow an attack on iraq". I have saw comments such as this on this site.

Or having an avatar name such as "anti-gov" or "weaponofmassdestruction"

Would that be classed as an offence?

I think it is free speech but they dont seem to bother what people think these days at all.

See where I am coming from.

It truly is dire times when questions like this need to be answered.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Whats to monitor on a social networking site?Its not like they have to do it covertly.People have all there details on there for the world to see so if your stupid enough to put it out there it just makes there job easier.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azador
Whats to monitor on a social networking site?Its not like they have to do it covertly.People have all there details on there for the world to see so if your stupid enough to put it out there it just makes there job easier.

What they are doing is monitoring who you are talking to and who your friends are.

If you talk to a terrorist or have them in your friends list. YOU then become a suspect and they'll keep a closer eye on you.

6 degrees of separation means everyone becomes a suspect.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Also within the news article is this wonderful statement.

"With similar proposals already being enacted or under consideration for phone, email and internet contacts, ministers denied they were trying to intrude on people's private lives. "

How can this not be intruding on peoples lives.

Listening to peoples phone calls, reading their emails.

I wouldn't accept this from a family member. So why should i agree to to the government doing it.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Well people shouldn't put there lives on display.Sorry no sympathy from me.If ignorance is bliss than knock the smile off my face.And what idiot terrorist organization would use a social networking site to keep in touch lol.

Edit:poor spellorz

[edit on 25-3-2009 by Azador]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azador
And what idiot terrorist organization would use a social networking site to keep in touch lol.

Exactly.

So why are social networking sites being monitored then??

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mace778

If they are listening to my phone calls and reading my emails than the last thing i care about is them checking out the bands i like on my friends list.People still make it to easy for them to collect information on themselves.But i still think terrorists or major criminal organizations wont be stupid enough to plan everything through phone or email either.So it just kinda shows how stupid the government is huh.
Watching millions of horny teens messaging each other "w.b sxc"

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Because the oldies in the government want to learn some killer pick up lines from all the randy teens.
"Hey bb u r hawt wats ur msn"

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Azador

It's not just terrorists they are "targetting". It's anyone they consider to be involved with criminal activity.

Know anyone thats been in trouble with the law?

To be totally hones i think we're focusing on the wrong aspects of what is actually happening.

It doesn't really matter who they are looking at of why. The fact is that they will be able to look at anyone whenever they feel like it.

That's like saying they want everyones bank details to check to see if your sending money to Bin Laden!

Totally unacceptable

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
To be honest it doesn't bother me that much and let me explain why.You see i live under the assumption that the government has access to and peeps into any aspect of my life it chooses and it does/can.So once you realise this you kinda also realise that you dont put all of yourself out there in any medium.Now the terrorists know this criminals know this the government knows this so as XXXN3O asked who are they watching than?
The sheeple of course collecting data to control the average joe better.And than sell that info to marketing companies so they all make another dime off of us.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Saw this, and my first reaction was to highlight it ON facebook, on my profile.

The only way that this kind of thing is going to be prevented is by people making it perfectly clear to the powers that be that they aren't going to accept it, at all.

I don't live in Communist Russia, and I don't live in Hitlers Germany and this is now pushing the boundaries.

They already have access to Echelon, which is possibly the most sophisticated sigint processor on the planet, and they most certainly do not need to go this far into the "public" sphere at all.

And given the British Governments sheer utter incompetance when it comes to data handling, I don't want my ID ripped off when some fool decides to leave their laptop on a train, or posts the USB memory sticks to the wrong address.

I can't see this going through, but the only way to make sure it doesn't is to raise awareness of it, discuss it and make damn sure the politicians know that they're going too far.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Yes, because they dont already monitor such things whether you like it or not out of sight from the public eye.This is just political entertainment for the masses,keep them thinking they have a right to voice an opinion on such matters when they dont and never will.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Azador

I can see where your coming from but:

I like to think they don't have access to all the information!

That they cannot look at whoever they want, whenever they want.

And if that is true i'll fight them all the way to keep it like that.

I don't put out much info on the web. I have my list of friends and info that, If asked, i would happliy give.

How would you feel if the gov installed cameras in your home?

By your reasoning they already have and your fine with it!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
facebook is partially owned by the CIA

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
facebook is partially owned by the CIA

We all knew that from when it first started up.

But this encompases all social networking.

With the probablilty of spreading to the entire web.

It's not just Facebook. It's bebo, Myspace and many others.

It's the fact they want to snoop, not where thay are doing it that's the problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join