It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel is IMPOSSIBLE...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I was thinking about this last night, and wanted to post this for other members.

Time travel has long been a fascination for many people, spawning thousands of books, films, t.v. shows, and short stories. I mean, who wouldn't love to go back and "fix" history, or live in some sort of advanced future...

There is only one problem... Time Travel is IMPOSSIBLE*!!

Why do I say this? Well, Earth moves through space, right? so If I were to go back in time just 1 day, I would be in the vacuum of space! I know that most of you would say that , hey, you could move one year at a time or so, but need I remind you that our solar system, and universe move through space?

So maybe I should correct the title...

Time travel MAY be possible, but all of the time travelers died in space, or ended up in the earths crust, or on the sun.

Which may explain why some believe that UFO's are visitors from the future. I mean, they would need the ship to survive where ever they end up, right?

What do you think ATS?

Jason

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
If time travel were possible then where are all the time travellers? Common sense logic to me....I don't think if it were possible every single traveller would do it in secret. We'd be tripping over them if it were possible.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I don't know how you can be so sure...unless the possibility is completely scientifically disproven, there exists the possibility.
Time Travel

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by griffinrl
If time travel were possible then where are all the time travellers? Common sense logic to me....I don't think if it were possible every single traveller would do it in secret. We'd be tripping over them if it were possible.

I agree to a certain extent, however, consider that time travel (if possible by humans) would have some serious potential repercussions and on that reason alone, i think, would mean that any time travelling would be almost certainly be conducted in secret by government agencies/military and strictly monitored.

Maybe?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
You are already in the past and traveling through time headed for eternity.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by griffinrl

I don't deny that your logic makes sense, but I was merely providing another reference that could help sway the argument. Not that I would discount the possibility of wormholes..... In space that is...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalview

Again, my thought process being that even if we could travel through time, where would you end up? In space my friend, in space....

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
That's why time travelers visit us in UFO's...

Though i agree with you,time travel is probably impossible simply according to physical rules of the universe. We both might be wrong.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Shhhh, never admit you might be wrong, instead, just word things so that you always have an out, for any contingency...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This is the EXACT same argument I always mention when time travel pops up in conversation. If you think about it, not only does earth travel through time and space, but the galaxy and the universe. So if we even went back or forward a millisecond, we could potentially be thousands or even millions of miles away from the planet.

Although, with the models that show our planet warping the fabric of timespace, I would envision us warping back without disturbing this 'divot'. So if we can stay in it, we could potentially move with the earth back in time.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

That's a good point you have there.
As the Earth and the rest of the solar system move through space, so do we. Who knows though, there are so many possibilities!
For example, I could envision warping spacetime and coming out the other side inside of an object on the other side. It's hard to say whether there would be a drifting effect using the "wormhole" so to speak.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Why don't you think, that if we become able to calculate a place in time to go to, we will also be able to calculate the location of that place in space and adjust accordingly?

Although, it might actually be safer to travel through time on a ship in space and then take the ship where you want to go after you've gotten when you want to go. Less stuff to run into in space .. theoretically anyway.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
1) If you can move through time, perhaps you can move through space simultaneously.

2) Travel in a space shuttle or something.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The last 2 posters both have a valid point.

What I was trying to get across was that, if time is a loop and someone decided to go to the FUTURE, it would be almost impossible to know if something is going to be in the particular space that you are traveling to....2 substances cannot occupy the same space, so could possibly become intertwined with an asteroid, a piece of debris out in space, a wall on Earth.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

THe only downside to your proposal is that I don't really believe earth has EVER been in the same place twice, over time...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
There is only one problem... Time Travel is IMPOSSIBLE*!!

Ever fall into a river with a fast current and try to get back on shore? I think it would be hard to leave the energy slipstream of the earth, I suspect we are glued to the earth in more ways than one, and energy wise and vibration is one of those ways.

If John Titor was a real time traveller, then his explanation would trump your thoughts on this, he claims exactly that, that we are glues to the earth even in a slip stream.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulOrb

I don't buy Titor at all though, lol.

I'm not so sure that space/time is necessarily that similar to water, although I do understand your analogy.

And if you think about it, water can be manipulated fairly easily. Space/time, not so much....but what if there IS a way? It'll take decades of experimentation to find out if time travel is possible, but there are already people working on it.

Now if they're able to set up an experiment where they send a subatomic particle back to a hopefully predetermined date in the lab BEFORE they actually sent it. Sounds like a paradox, but that would be one way to do the experiment. Plan it out, have a certain date set in mind to be able to capture the particle, and then send it BACK to that date and location.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I would recommend reading 'The Elegant Universe' by Brian Greene. He describes movement through spacetime and our perspective of it. He uses fairly understandable analogies, so you dont have to be a quantam mechanic professor to understand it all.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulOrb

I like your reference, but using John Titor as a reference? Bad choice, as John is a proven liar, sorry.... But I dig your point, star for you...

CX

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
To be honest, i haven't a clue how time travel could or could not work.

However i can't see how anyone can claim it is impossible. Maybe they can't understand how it works yet, or explain it....but you can't say that it's impossible.

If anyone came on this site claiming they were a time traveller, and explained how it worked....they be flamed and thrown to the Gray Area within minutes anyway....so i guess we won't know for while eh?

CX.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join