It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel is IMPOSSIBLE...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Based on the loose ideas I've read here. I would expect, if we master time travel, we will also master warping through space. I think we would warp space before time. If we're going to jump space, we need to enter the 4th dimension, but if we warp time, we'll need to conquer the 5th dimension.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
To be honest, i haven't a clue how time travel could or could not work.

However i can't see how anyone can claim it is impossible. Maybe they can't understand how it works yet, or explain it....but you can't say that it's impossible.

If anyone came on this site claiming they were a time traveller, and explained how it worked....they be flamed and thrown to the Gray Area within minutes anyway....so i guess we won't know for while eh?

CX.

I agree.

To claim time travel is impossible doesn't make much sense.

There's alot of things we don't know about the universe. There's alot of things we havn't discovered.

I would say that time travel is possible because it's not prohibited by the laws of physics.

This why you have physicist who love to explore time travel like Kip Thorne, Ron Mallet and Dr. Michio Kaku.

You have some physicist like David Deutsch, who use things like the grandfather paradox to support parallel universes.

There's no paradox if you go back in time to a different universe than the one you originated from.

So killing Hitler would not do any good for the universe you originated from but a parallel universe would occur where the holocaust never occured.

So, I don't think we can make a definate statement like that.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Problem here is basically that we really don't know what does it look like if we travel within 4th, 5th or 6th dimension. One of those dimensions is time, propably 4th. We can imagine 4th dimension looks just like it looks like now when your clock ticks forward, but time travel could be possible by warping over higher dimensions. We don't know if we could see where we are going or not. Hmm, I don't know how to explain this dammit.

If we travel back in time, movement of our atoms, molecules are also inverted, which would make us assume that everything around us follows. It just might be so, but it does not really make any sense that we could manipulate entire universe to go back in time, does it? This is a nice thing to speculate about but i'm just too tired for this right now... hrm.

Oh well, I did manage to create an avatar. Finally. It has been my intent for a year but I never really got into doing it. :-)

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Also, if we go back in time via virtual reality is that time travel?

If we are fully immersed in Ancient Egypt or a Ray Charles concert are we going back in time?

I often wondered if time and consciousness are the same thing.

Is time really consciousness spread out over space and we just measure different events the same way?

This would mean reality is virtual and all that exists is consciousness.

So the reason why the distinctions between the past, present and future are a persistent illusion is because time is just consciousness spread out over space.

This would mean we travel back and forth through time everyday through our consciousness.

So the past events do not exist just the memory of them. So we can travel through time through virtual reality.

Maybe we exist within a chain of virtual realities now.

I know science likes to base everything in materialism but maybe materialism is based in consciousness.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Improbable, nothing is impossible at this juncture. We just don't know.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The post about how time travel is impossible is interesting. Too many times people look past the obvious. The obvious stares us right in the face. When many people think about time travel, they think about jumping years into the past or into the future. The obvious is this:

We are already traveling in time! Our very existence is time travel made possible. The thing overlooked is that "it takes time to travel into time!" In 1 hour I will have traveled 1 hour into the future. 1=1. Therefore time stands still and in time I am traveling into time.

I think it is natural for people to overlook these things. How many sides does a coin have? Why, why, why, do people always say 2 sides? The coin has three sides. The coin is three dimensional. It's just that one side is the circumference.

Anyhow,

Just thought I'd put my thoughts down. Hopefully one of you gets what I am trying to say.

Peace!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by onehappyangel

It's human nature to put things into a dualistic light despite the fact almost everything we come across is a spectrum?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
In defense of the "if time travel exists then where are the time travelers?" question, it should be noted that one would logically only be able to travel backwards as far as when the machine was invented. Any further and the machine wouldn't exist therefore you can't travel there.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

How can we be sure of that? We are trying to dictate the nuts and bolts of something we aren't even sure is possible.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Because it seems logical, that's why.

I've never really believed in time travel. I believe in parallel dimensions or universes as well as perhaps VIEWING the past somehow, but not traveling to it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Not everything that has seemed logical to us has been true.
This is the second line, aint it great?

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
all great theories and inventions start with "What if"

never say impossible, the possibilities are infinite and too broad to exclude any ideas

one day (or maybe even now) there are people looking back at us like we are looking back at those cavemen "wow, they are primitive, i really can not imagine how life would be so primitive...."

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I've posted this before, but again, if time travel where possible:

1. For the past and present "moment", either there are infinite copies of all material in existence down to less than the nanosecond with continual replication taking place for all eternity, or, nothing is real and it's all just a dynamic illusion. I believe what we experience is real and matter exists and spirit is temporarily here animating it. So, with that, where is the space and mechanics to perpetually replicate the moment because the appearance and structure of things constantly change. If I'm going to go back physically in the past then I'm going to have to go to that physical state of that moment anywhere, on any planet, on in any galaxy, etc.. If those replications exist and your spirit and my spirit are animating matter at every moment in perpetuity, than what is the purpose of that? It is profoundly cruel and wasting energy and conservation of energy is fundamental to the creation. The motive force of the creation at any moment, from a spirits point of view, is the expression (as desire) of the dominant karma at that moment. Does one not exhaust anything or learn or achieve anything ever? Am I really inclined to perpetually puke up candy corn and never exhaust the compulsion to overeat it?

2. To go into the future then the future would have already be fixed and also pre-replicated out. Or in other words every moment of time would have a separate copy of matter somewhere from the beginning to the end of this creation. And spirit would need to move from one replication to the next moment by moment. But, the purpose of the creation is to exhaust imperfection and there is some dynamics (free will) involved in the process. So the future is somewhat changeable. Also if the spirit can go forward in physical time what does that mean? Has the spirit abandoned the current moment and duplicated itself at some past or future point or gone to sleep in the current moment and awakened it's consciousness in the projected moment. Is that the way spirit moves through time by switching the focus of it's awareness moment by moment from one copy of matter to the next? To me that is not so.

3. Like you say, if the past exists and the bad guys can time travel why not go back to a post epoch period where humanity is digging itself out of the rubble and trying to figure out how to make matches again? Why don't the bad guys conquer mankind when the best we could do is throw rocks at them? Of course, that posses the question which was also posed on another thread recently, why didn't the "advanced" bad guy aliens take total control of humans 200 years ago let alone 2,000 when we had nominal technical ability to resist?

How does time travel work as demonstrated by "psychics"?

1. A copy of all moments is recorded in a strata of matter known as the Akashic record. Going back in time is simply a matter of viewing that plane just like looking in a mirror or watching a movie.

2. Nothing happens without thought first taking place. No one picks up a pen without first thinking about it. The karmic flow is thought or planned out based on the responses of the spirits. This thought flow is the cosmic mind or universal mind and the spirit taps into it to perceive the current anticipated future or likely futures. But that is only a thought and not a physical place.

Maya, or Illusion in the world is very, very powerful. We are all mislead constantly and our minds, owned by the devil himself, are always being tickled to stimulate karmic expression. People who claim to have visited the past or the future are doing so in their minds. They may even be able to perceive something and physically manifest a copy of an object, I suppose. But they haven't gone to a dynamic "living" place.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ReelView

What he said

Although I could never describe the phenomena in as eloquent a manner as ReelView my thoughts are along the same path. Physically traveling back in time would only be possible (in my mind) to the point at which the 'time machine' was activated, as we are not balls to the wall with time tourists I imagine that this hasn't happened yet. Going forward in time (again in mho) would have to work on the basis that there is only one predetermined future otherwise there would be an infinite number of alternate futures that you could travel to with no benefit of knowledge that the future you were observing was the actual future. Although there are a lot of smart cookies out there, the whole time travel concept as currently understood to me feels like trying to unravel a jumble of string with a pair of boxing gloves - potentially possible but so mind numbingly confusing, tedious and ultimately futile.

But hey it's a beautiful day today (in Scotland), it's the weekend - so let's enjoy the present

Berth

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Actually if you have ever flown through any international datelines, where you either lose or gain time in hours....Then you have time traveled you have either beaten time or lost time either way its time traveling at its simplest.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by smokehouseslim]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
For time travel to be possible, you'd have to be able to physically wind back the entire universe otherwise the representation of the past would not be accurate... and winding back the universe wouldn't necessarily wind back time.

For all we know time may not even exist. Perhaps we just superimpose the concept of time onto our existence for the simple purpose of calibrating it.

IRM

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Time travel is possible,you do it every time you have a vivid memory of anything past.
Now take your technology ,and do it the other way.
That would be a challenge.
Anything is possible.
Time is only our perception of existence with the few senses we have to perceive it.

[edit on 21-3-2009 by chiponbothshoulders]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

I think many people agree that traveling to the future is very possible (really just changing your perspective of time).
As far as traveling to the past, there's a lot of debate about that...
I always thought it would be completely impossible to travel to the past, as time is not some variable which is stored somewhere.
However, if our Universe is like a bubble, and we could somehow go outside of our Universe into a 'multiverse', I believe it may very well be possible to travel back in time.
It would be like looking at a paper from the side (so all you see is a line) as opposed to looking at it from a higher perspective and seeing the whole picture.

Also, if we someday find a way to go faster than the speed of light, we will be able to see the past by traveling faster than the light which bounces off the Earth. Just like when you look at a star, that image you are seeing is billions of years old because it's so far away.

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by platosallegory
Also, if we go back in time via virtual reality is that time travel?

I never thought about that but I'm sure it would be possible...
Everything runs on cause reaction, so if we could somehow compile all the reactions in our Universe (I know, that would be way out there), then we could also (theoretically) trace back the causes. It would be like working on an equation backwards until you have the whole thing.
There must exist a Universal equation, and if that's the case, it could be put into a computer (very very very very advanced computer unlike anything we have today).

Though I think that is theoretically possible, I sort of doubt that humans would ever be advanced enough to even imagine such a project...

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Time travel is not impossible if you consider multiple world theory. First of all when I discuss time travel I mean travel into the past, and not travel into the future, which we are doing anyway every moment
In multiple world theory, because time is a dimension, one is able to travel in that dimension back and forth, except one cannot travel in ones own dimension. This is because the timeline you come from is your frame of reference, you are a function of it and thus have no access to it and never could. However, you do have access to others frames of references and other timelines. Travelling in another time-line would be just like travelling to another place, you are not actually going into your own past, but into a past that resembles your own.

The only way such time travel could be made possible is if you could access the dimension of time. Then it is just a case of traversing along that dimension and seeing the various timelines. There is no problem in physics that such a dimension of time exists, so theoretically there are no objections to time travel. Find the dimension and off you go.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join