It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Did anyone catch Kings on NBC last night? It was one of the more interesting things I've caught on TV in a while.

I have long been a fan of alternate universe/history fiction like Harry Turtledove and C.S. Goto. The story of David and Goliath was one of my favorites in Sunday School as a kid. As I grew in maturity and life the whole David story has always been one of my favorite parts of the Bible. David is truly one of the examples of how God loves and works even through us flawed humans. I have also enjoyed some modern adaptations of ancient and timeless stories. Two examples that come to mind are the nineties version of Romeo and Juliet which was a very near retelling of a Shakespear classic set in a modern gang war and "O Brother! Where Art Thou?" which was loosely based on Homer's Odessy. Certain stories remain relevant in the right hands even after hundreds or even thousands of years because they directly relate to the human condition.

I guess because of these things I was predisposed to like the premier of Kings. Technically it was impressive. The cinematography was wonderful. The acting despite a couple of cases of overacting was superb. I'm really impressed with NBC for having the guts to air this. It's different, I only hope that the viewing public gives it a chance. There are a couple but minor points in the premier I found implausible, but they weren't glaring plot holes.

From a purely Christian perspective I am predisposed to view almost anything Hollywood touches through very skeptical glasses. However, with just the premiere I'm rather pleased at the way this was told. It's the job of Sunday school teacher, youth ministers, rabbi's, and preachers to tell the story of David in a way that inspires us to learn from his mistakes and lead a better life. Though I firmly believe Hollywood has a responsibility to treat a story held very close to the hearts of Jews and Christians alike with some respect, Hollywood's main responsibility in the retelling is for it to be entertaining.

So did anyone else catch it? If so what are your thoughts.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

Strangely enough, I caught it. I normally wouldn't be watching tv but was in a hospital overnight. I was pleasantly suprised it was on a maj network only for the fact that it was well done as you said. I'm a little suprised it has not receicved more discussion as it is a pretty apocolyptic future based sci-fi/action type of show - pretty cool over all.

ColoradoJens

[edit on 17-3-2009 by ColoradoJens]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I recorded it and am eager to check it out. Hopefully i'll get a chance to watch it this week.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The previews didn't exactly do a good job of stating the premise of the show, so wasn't too hyped about it... I guess I'll google it, and see if there's some synopsis that'll help me decide whether or not to devote some DVR space to it,

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
This show has been moved to Saturday because of low ratings. This is my favorite show on TV, hopefully it gets picked up for another season.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amelie
This show has been moved to Saturday because of low ratings. This is my favorite show on TV, hopefully it gets picked up for another season.

We've watched 3 episodes so far and I really like it because it's well done and thought provoking.

I do not see it being picked up for another season for the reason I stated above. Unfortunately a lot of really good shows flop because they require the audience to 'think'.

Another show that I thought was very well done was "My own worst enemy" with Christian Slater but it was dropped as well.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin
Another show that I thought was very well done was "My own worst enemy" with Christian Slater but it was dropped as well.

I didn't particularity like that show, but NBC spends tons of money on these shows with out letting them develop an audience.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
What the hell are they doing with this great show???

NBC moves "Kings" to summer "Kings" will return to its Saturday 8 p.m. slot June 13 and will finish its run through July 25.

top topics

join