It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commentary: We owe oldest Americans an apology

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Amen to that!

Moreover, most of the 'Greatest Generation' are long gone! What is left are a bunch of selfish, whiny inconsiderate people who complain constantly about medicare, social security, their 401k's, and their pain meds!

"GET ME MY PILL! I might feel something without it!"

Yeah, this article strikes a chord with me as well and it's a flat G followed by someone raking their fingernails over a chalkboard!

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

I completely agree with your statements, right now the "baby boomers" hold close to 60% of the voting populace.

IMO, their appathy is why we're in this predicament. Where were they when the federal reserve act was passed? where were they when J.F.K was assasinated?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Screw them. Seriously. Baby boomers for the most part (not to say their fathers did not play a role) have been setting the economic stage since the early 60's. Everything we see before us is a result of their doing. The policies, they created. The economies they created. The politicians they created.

I don't feel sorry for those about to retire, you reap what you sow. I personally blame them for screwing up the country that my generation will pay for. I will await THEIR apology to us. I won't hold my breath though.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
This thread is bogus. Want to know why?

It is the same people you want us to apologize to that should have been the teachers of future generations.

Now - ALMOST EVERYONE PLAYS A ROLE IN THIS. The older generations for not actually passing on the knowledge from the great depression, and the lack of self responsibility many people today have.

It is the people who ran their life on credit who should be apologizing to everyone. Not just the older generations, but all of them. That, and the STUPID loaning agencies of the USA along with many government officials.

The topic of loans strikes my cords when people know they will NEVER be able to pay them off. The only thing taught to our children today is the present and not the future. At least here in the U.S

But, my own philosophy says that while yes, the older generations are hurting badly in their retirement plans - any "smart" person will be doing fine. You can not rely on others to do your own paper work, and unless there is some guaranteed rise in the investments you make, it is your choice and risk by doing such things.

That still does not change the fact that we shouldn't be in this crises...but we are because of all of the idiotic ideas from the people who "know what they are doing".

"I" will apologize to those who "I" have harmed. So far, it has been none ( I am only in high school though )

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kcired_tsew
reply to post by j2000

I completely agree with your statements, right now the "baby boomers" hold close to 60% of the voting populace.

IMO, their appathy is why we're in this predicament. Where were they when the federal reserve act was passed? where were they when J.F.K was assasinated?

I would hope you are smarter than to think that voting amounts to anything.
If youve been here for more than 10 seconds, you should have a good insight as to how its a "false" control over the elected officials, to make the sheeple feel like they did something.
But otherwise, you are right.
Much like all the other posts here.
I thought i was gonna get flamed for coming out and thinking... wait, demanding an apology from the older generation.
They are the ones that sat and watched our futures go down the toilet. Im goin back thru this entire thread, starring everyone.
Im so glad im not alone in my thoughts.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I really think everyone here should just remember to work together, old or young, baby boomer or not. Lets not get caught up in blame games, that are just cyclical and only perpetuate the circle of hate.

Overall, I really like the points made here, but just stay united and try to help fellow brethren who need help in finding there ambition to rectify the situation at hand.

reply to post by Realtruth

Great Perspective! Those who ARE guilty have no respect for us. Its a shame they do not see that the world could be a whole lot better if they would just cooperate with the masses and try to make progress occur on all levels of society.

If they are afraid of population overgrowth, then find ways to expand into the universe. Do NOT kill fellow humans!

That's all I have to say right now.

ttyl

[edit on 16-3-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

I agree, we could waste more time pointing fingers and getting to the bottom of "who", but that wouldnt get anything accomplished.
Focusing on what we can do to get ourselves in a better position would be a much better thing to do.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Are you kidding???Your kidding .....right??This mess hasen't even begun to roll yet and you think and belive its over???

I hope your right but noway do I think this even close to being over.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

SOOOOO are you supprized at the reaction you are getting OP,these are the generation about to inharit this country.Im glad I took this opportunity to read the feelings of these punks,you all talk like you have never had the oppertunity to vote or be proactive in this country but this is your way isiant it,blame everyone else,all you get are the left overs.

After reading your feelings on the subject I feel a lot different then before I read your posts.I can't express my feelings because I don't want my post kicked but maybe I'll be able to express them on the streets when the SHTF.I think you kiddies are getting just what you deserve.

You all have a nice day,

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Battleline

SOOOOO are you supprized at the reaction you are getting OP,these are the generation about to inharit this country.Im glad I took this opportunity to read the feelings of these punks,you all talk like you have never had the oppertunity to vote or be proactive in this country but this is your way isiant it,blame everyone else,all you get are the left overs.

After reading your feelings on the subject I feel a lot different then before I read your posts.I can't express my feelings because I don't want my post kicked but maybe I'll be able to express them on the streets when the SHTF.I think you kiddies are getting just what you deserve.

You all have a nice day,

I'm sorry to have to point out that your post is illogical. How could the "Punks" or the "Kiddies" prevent the adoption of fractional reserve banking? The "Punks" and the "Kiddies" weren't around then; nor were they when the gold standard was dropped, nor were they when countless other transgressions were taking place at the hands of government. In fact, based on your post, I'd hazard a guess that it happened on your watch, eh?

Anyway, I agree that finger-pointing isn't likely to cure what ailes us. BUT, understanding HOW it occurred, WHO was resposnsible and getting a little justice for a change, sure would be nice. See, the younger generation might be full of "Punks" and "Kiddies" - but we're the type of punks and kiddies that believe in justice and truth and accountabililty. And as much as it riles you up, the two generations prior to mine have stood idly by while the country was being hijacked! And now, even as the evidence of their nonfeasance stares them in the face, they refuse to allow themselves to be held accountable - behaving like the politicians themselves; deny and then attack! But the fact remains, my generation and the ones that follow will inherit all of our sins! That requires all of us to be honest about where we've erred.

Moving forward, if we're able, and learning from our mistakes, will make us a stronger nation - of that I am certain.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

[edit on 17-3-2009 by gate13]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by gate13
if obama was white there would be no fuss over where he was born.

as long as he does good job for your country who gives a f@#ck where he is from even if your constitution says the president has to be born in america

Im sorry, but if youre trying the race issue, give it up.
Obama is about as black as i am.
And im 100% irish.
What we are getting at is he may be an illegal alien.
Like arnie.
Want him as prez?
Like the simpsons movie?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
reply to post by Battleline

I'm sorry to have to point out that your post is illogical. How could the "Punks" or the "Kiddies" prevent the adoption of fractional reserve banking? The "Punks" and the "Kiddies" weren't around then; nor were they when the gold standard was dropped, nor were they when countless other transgressions were taking place at the hands of government. In fact, based on your post, I'd hazard a guess that it happened on your watch, eh?

Anyway, I agree that finger-pointing isn't likely to cure what ailes us. BUT, understanding HOW it occurred, WHO was resposnsible and getting a little justice for a change, sure would be nice. See, the younger generation might be full of "Punks" and "Kiddies" - but we're the type of punks and kiddies that believe in justice and truth and accountabililty. And as much as it riles you up, the two generations prior to mine have stood idly by while the country was being hijacked! And now, even as the evidence of their nonfeasance stares them in the face, they refuse to allow themselves to be held accountable - behaving like the politicians themselves; deny and then attack! But the fact remains, my generation and the ones that follow will inherit all of our sins! That requires all of us to be honest about where we've erred.

No kidding.

It is indeed a poorly contrived idea to place a shield in front of the oldest members of our society. Those who have been in view of the problems for the longest amount of time are somehow more pitiable than the children and young adults who are soon to inherit the mess? Really? Mull that over a little longer.

[edit on 16/3/09 by paperplanes]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RealtruthWhat about us little guys?
Give me liberty or give me death?
All the Rambos on the Survival boards are full of it.

give me death before dishonour. I say.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by gate13
if obama was white there would be no fuss over where he was born.

as long as he does good job for your country who gives a f@#ck where he is from even if your constitution says the president has to be born in america

I think you are in the wrong thread guy.

what are you talking about

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I don't owe anyone an apology for anything. One of my 80 year old friends asked ME why we weren't chasing the cold-war, baby-boomer generations down the street with baseball bats. They let it get this way and taught the younger generations NOTHING about what it takes to maintain a future, what it is to PRESERVE A NATION. Now we have to re-build. And we owe them?

To hell with that! I'll leave you with my piece of poetry about this very thing:

To Build A Nation

Because love has given way to hot bullets
Because patience is running thin, a still shot of a virtue as we once knew it.
Because a new weapon is made and we must use it.
Because hungry mouths are eating into our compassion
Because the voices of peace have given way to demands for action.

Because I have seen the road to hell and it's an easy ride into town.
Because the bombs in the distance are relaxing, since you're alive to hear the sound.
Because I'm hungry and I haven't eaten a morsel of truth all day.
I'm starving for inspirational words that shine light on this dark American highway
Because it hurts to speak with a slit throat, it's hard to lift the meek
with broken hands, and it is hard to build a nation whose foundations are
the flesh and bone upon which the pillars of this Empire now stand.

Because divine justice is about what we do, and what we don't do.
In the end we only get what we deserve.
But I will try to be the man who molds bricks of our collective shame
to rebuild a nation no one taught us to preserve.

[edit on 17-3-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

I agree to “What apology” I think Bush owes all of us an apology, our grandmothers, taxpaying citizens and the next 3 generations of taxpayers! That goes for Obama’s stimulus bill as well. The days of leveraging are over all hedged out. This is not a typical business cycle. It would require weeding out the losers and rewarding the winners. What happened to Capitalism?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

I have no problem oning up to being asleep at the wheel,not me personally,I lost a marriage due to being proactive in trying to make things right.this is hard when all you have to choose from is what "they" offer. The John or Jane Doe that would work for the people can't get close to running for Prez.No deny and attack here,just attack the people that attack me as a generation.

That being said,Truth,Justice and Accountability,boy if your generation is all that how did Kerry almost get elected and Obama get elected???.It was purtty much the 40 and under crowd that voted the empty suit in office with NO experiance.Thats one I think you Kiddies are going to have to live down,won' be fun to watch Im affarid.

Im done argueing with people that have little or no ability to use common senses and reasoning,you just attack with anger and ridacule and hide behind your keyboards.When your God Obama fails badly you will need a lot more then mouth on the streets to make it,good luck PEOPLE.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Battleline

No deny and attack here,just attack the people that attack me as a generation.

I'm really sick of seeing this argument, it's an annoying fallacy of argumentation. No one is saying that YOU personally are to blame -we're saying that your generation caused a large part of the problem which we see today. To say that you weren't like the majority means you aren't the main focus of the statement - thus the statement doesn't really apply to you as much as it does to say some blue collar worker with a big house, two cars and a litter of kids....

You first started defending your generation saying the newer gen were 'kiddies' and 'punks' -i'm sure i need not point out that your generation were once 'kiddies' and in the minds of some small minded old folk nothing but 'punks' or 'hoon's listing to jazz and blues!' this is the nature of our progressive society. However you then try to say you were not like all the other people in your generation because you were trying to make a difference and fix things, well can't you then see how some of the 'kiddies' are maybe trying to fix things like you did?

So, it's fair to say that some of the older generation and some of the newer generation were and are trying to do some good. however the general mass of both generations is doing nothing but making it worse....

However, to confuse it even further we must remember that we can't split them into two teams, the gold standard was not enforced or dropped on the whim of bankers -it was a hotly debated topic, even the move from bimetalism to a unified standard created much debate (see: wizard of oz). The people who chose to drop the gold standard did so because they thought it was the right thing to do, the people who invented it also thought it was the right thing to do -maybe both times they were right.

The world changes, situations change - we can't apply todays logic on yesterdays problems or vice versa. If the world is to survive we need pragmatism and clear thinking to guide us, all age groups need to agree -we can't single one out as heros and the other as villans -oh if only life were that simple....

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
This topic seems to have pricked a few nerves, That was unexpected. I see blaming going on here, as well as those who accept blame. IMO the reaction here is suprising.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join