It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Whisper: What are thoughts of other crew members? A totally organic ship? An organic interior?

Sky: I dont care either way. You decide.

Whisper: Can I re-work these two existing posts to put in the main Opera thread?

Sky: Sure.

Whisper: Captn Cadbury said he would post updates within 48 hrs. What is expected of the rest of us?

Sky: We`ll see how it unfolds.

Whisper: Hello nature - what is YOUR goal with our posting timing?

Sky: There is no post-timing rule. As long as our posts are in context of our role and the story. We can contribute every day or every week. I guess if masqua sees someone has stopped posting for more than a month, NATURE will play a trick on that person.

Whisper: only to be used in case of emergancy.

Sky: There will be no emergency. Masqua did not set up time obligations.

Whisper: Post Timing Rules - I think this should be clarified. If a member goes rouge or just blows off the opera all togeather we should have guidelines. As my captain suggested...48 hrs?

Sky: 48 hours to do the next post? Hell no. No timing limit. Too many people participating to have control over that.

Of course...maybe masqua feels differently...if so, everything I just said does not count.

Chain of Command for us:

1. Masqua (Nature)
2. Cadbury (Captain)

I think they`ll set the tone of our story...

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Question to our crew:

Should we keep our mission secret from the readership and the humans for now?

I believe that is a great idea. None shall know our secret mission...
I don't even know what it is....

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Thank you Skyfloating; that clarified a lot especially about posting times. Having not participated in collaborative writing before, I didn't know the expectations.

Okies - Whisper wants an organic ship
mf_luder you mind working on something a bit more organic for us?

Skyfloating, you're an awesome writer and I appreciate your insight and direction. Look forward to working with you.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Lets make sure to move forward gently and slowly and not make any posts longer than one post (otherwise it will be impossible for ALL PARTICIPANTS to follow the story) Know what I mean....CAPTAIN CADBURY....

Hehe! Don't worry, that one took me a month to write. What I had in mind for this collaboration was a much shorter and more rapid-fire approach.

What do you all think? Anywhere up to one page each?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

You mean altogether one page each? I was actually planning on the Opera going on for awhile...

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67

Thank you Skyfloating; that clarified a lot especially about posting times. Having not participated in collaborative writing before, I didn't know the expectations.

This is all new to me as I've never collaborated before either, so don't worry. We'll all get everything figured out.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

You mean altogether one page each? I was actually planning on the Opera going on for awhile...

I thought we could all have many pages each. What I meant was; should each single post by each collaborator be anywhere up to a page long? Just so readers and writers both can keep track of what's going on.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
By "a page long" you mean multiple posts that fill the entire page?

Trying to get what you mean...

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

By "a page long" you mean multiple posts that fill the entire page?

Trying to get what you mean...

Haha! Sorry, I've even confused myself now... I think I was just trying to address your concerns of some people writing too much. I'm still not entirely sure how Masqua wants all this done, yet, so I may just be babbling along not making any sense, like I tend to do at times.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Is there room on either vessel for a ships stowaway turned mascot?

What’s an Opera without drama - and don’t mascots, court jesters, cling-on type(s) (no pun intended) factor in highly in many dramas good or evil thought they might be?

I’m not necessarily asking for the position - but - a mascot(s) could add an occasional spicy bit and a hunk of humor here and there, yes?

[edit on 18-3-2009 by silo13]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

Whatever...we`ll see how it unfolds. Since you're the captain Im going to base my storyline on yours.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
To my Rigellian companions - should we determine a generic appearance for our race? If we have tentacles I'm assuming we are not humanoid, from what's been described I picture in my mind something along the lines of Kang and Kodos off the Simpsons. I think this will largely shape our interactions with our environments and one another.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Whatever...we`ll see how it unfolds. Since you're the captain Im going to base my storyline on yours.

Would it be best if both teams came together in this thread and discuss it all with Masqua so everyone knows exactly what they're doing (or is it just me who doesn't know exactly what he's doing) before we begin? I'm fine either way and will happily go along with anything, but I just didn't want to go out and do it all completely wrong. This is my first collaboration, so I'm not sure how everything is to be structured and laid out.

Is anyone else as unsure as I am?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

Im just as unsure and expectant as you are. Thats why I've been trying to define some guidelines.

Im really looking forward to it...whatever "it" is.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scurvy
To my Rigellian companions - should we determine a generic appearance for our race?

I think this would be a very good idea, as the appearance of the humans is already (largely) defined. It might be an idea for us to all come together in this thread or in u2u and choose, so as to give everyone a framework to build from before we start.

If we have tentacles I'm assuming we are not humanoid, from what's been described I picture in my mind something along the lines of Kang and Kodos off the Simpsons. I think this will largely shape our interactions with our environments and one another.

I'd not be against that at all...

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

I am 100% as unsure as you are.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Thoughts on the Space Opera

The story never NEEDS to end. It can go on as long as the membership is interested in the story unfolding. On the other hand, Nature might blow both ships to Kingdome Come if Dark Energy and Dark Matter combine to throw Lght Matter in the universe into darkness.

Hmmmm.
(I'm kidding... maybe)

The crews of the vessels are never static. Members contributing over the following weeks or months may want to drop out, but there will always be others who want to join in. I would like to keep the ship's compliments to remain under 13 at all times. That would be 1 Captain and 12 crew members each. We should never go over that limit and posts from members not included within crews will be completely removed. This is a collaboration restricted to a SET crew.

Posting

There are no limits for the collaborators. You can talk among your fellow crew members about anything at all. Maybe you want to talk about your steel headed rat or your familiar cat and that's just ducky.
However, when the Captain gives an order, all must pay attention and respond if it concerns your station.

You CANNOT talk between the two vessels until you meet and that I can guarantee won't happen until at least a week goes by. I'd like to see crews get to know each other and build a team first. THEN, just when you least expect it, NATURE will toss in a monkey wrench neither ship can ignore. At that point, both crews become aware of the other.

Secrecy surrounding the Yddryl

Captain Cadbury can hold off disclosing his mission for as long as he feels. It's all about surprising turns of events.

NATURES Role

I will not become a constant irritant. I will hold back personal comments and only post **ALERTS** from a mysterious entity. NATURE is just that... nature. Supernovas, emergency wormhole use and jumps into unknown territories will be my only input.

Sky and my mod status

I will NOT act as a Moderator for serious T&C infractions and neither will Sky. We are just members. Any action taken in the thread that does require a moderator will be handled by general ATS staff.

Non-T&C infractions, like edits or fixing double posts, etc, can be done as required by both Sky and myself. We're here to take part and not be seen as the Military Police.

Any further questions you may have can always be worked out in this thread even after the Space Opera begins.

I really want to get this going, so as soon as everyone agrees on what the OP should look like, I'll get it posted.

After that, you can decorate your berth, chastise the kitchen staff, kick the tires
and have fun with it.

[edit on 18/3/09 by masqua]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Im just as unsure and expectant as you are. Thats why I've been trying to define some guidelines.

Glad I'm not the only one! I think we need further discussion amongst both teams and with Masqua before we go ahead and begin, so everyone knows exactly what they're doing. What do you all think?

Im really looking forward to it...whatever "it" is.

Me too!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the clarifications, Masqua!

Originally posted by masqua

I will NOT act as a Moderator for serious T&C infractions and neither will Sky. We are just members. Any action taken in the thread that does require a moderator will be handled by general ATS staff.

I can't speak for anyone else but you can expect me to be seriously toned down compared to Solid Objects Cast At Goblins. You have my word. I will behave myself.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

As acting Captain of the Yddryl, no doubt you will prove to be wily, decisive and quickly take control of your crew. A paragon of Rigellian ethics, no less.

(whatever they may be
)

Oh, yeah... and unpredictable too.

Best of all, you've been around the block a few times and know the neighbourhood.

I honestly couldn't come up with a better member for the task at hand.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join