It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do People Listen to Rush Limbaugh?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I keep hearing people refer to him as a pill popper. Yes he was injured and was perscribed painkillers. He became addicted to those painkillers.

A few days ago, I would have agreed with the crowd who called a hypocrite because of this.

A few days ago I was involved in a automobile accident. Some chick was bs'ing on her cell phone and side swiped me on the driver side at 45 mph. I ended up going the hospital for a once over. Ended up with a few bruised ribs and a neck and back injury. They wanted to keep me a few days, but I have stayed in a hospital before and chose to go home.

For the pain the doctors gave me a shot of some kind of muscle relaxer and a shot of valium. The perscriptions I was given included Tylenol 3 with codeine.

Long story short. After the valium shot and three doses of my perscription I had to cut myself off. It got to where I was looking forward to medicine time. It is a really weird feeling to know you aren't in alot of pain, but you want to take the pain killers anyways. Knowing you don't need it.

My point is I now see the differance between Rush and the crack heads, pot smokers and heroin addicts. Rush was given a perscription and picked up his old habit legally. The rest made a choice to try something they know to be illegal. They are the real criminals.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I'm sorry but I listen and have no secret desire to have, own or do any of those horrible things you accuse me of..

Is there something "you" would like to share about those feelings towards us that listen to him?

Semper

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

He usually posts pretty good stuff.

I think we should look at this post as him talking out his butt and give him a reprieve.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Yes but all while he was addicted to those pain pills.... he railed against drug addicts (the majority of whom in this country were just like him as opposed to the junkie on the street)... and kept saying that they should be locked up and throw away the key...no empathy or compassion whatsoever.

But when he was busted he quickly checked himself into rehab and when the law continued to look into his use, it was a left wing liberal conspiracy against him.

HUGE difference.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by grover]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The reason his devout "followers" listen to him is that he touches a dark and old-style place in people. People who think like he does. You know, people who are so angry that they don't get to have everything the way they want. People who would like to have a slave or two, a barefoot and pregnant, obedient wife who cooks his feasts and brings him cigars, turkey pot pies and oxycontin then rubs his feet. People who think they know it all. The arrogant and selfish fringe of right-leaning society. Rush completes them. He validates their dark wishes about society

If these are representative of the "thoughts" and the attitudes of those that don't listen to Rush..

I will thank the Good Lord every day that I do listen...

I was shocked to read that..

Semper

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

I actually never stated that I listen to ANY of these people.
Just for the record.
And I don't really think that I answered my own question, as I don't buy into the 2 party system. If I believe that it's really more of a one party system, than there is no flipside.

I sincerely want to know why an individual can't be discussed without bringing someone else up from the "opposing" party?

[edit on 14-3-2009 by mpriebe81]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by jd140

Yes but all while he was addicted to those pain pills.... he railed against drug addicts (the majority of whom in this country were just like him as opposed to the junkie on the street... and kept saying that they should be locked up and throw away the key...no empathy or compassion whatsoever.

But when he was busted he quickly checked himself into rehab and when the law continued to look into his use, it was a left wing liberal conspiracy against him.

HUGE difference.

Maybe he didn't see himself as an addict? Maybe he saw those who knowingly injested illegal drugs as the addicts?

You just heard him speak out against addicts. Was he an addict? I don't classify perscription addicts who got them legally and your local heroin addict in the same category.

You show me the majority of the people he was talking about were just like him. Show me they had legit injuries and was using legit perscriptions from legit doctors to acquire their perscriptions.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I was really shocked to read it also. I'm chalking it up to him either talking out his butt or it was a bad case of drunk typing. It is Saturday afternoon.

Either way, I'm interested to see what his response to it will be.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Drugs are drugs.
Whether prescribed or attained illegally, most of them can be dangerous and habit forming.
Some of the worst drugs are prescription medications, such as oxycotin for example....highly addictive, goes by the name "hillbilly heroin" in some places.
Call it as it is, drug addiction is drug addiction no matter where you got the stuff.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

You have to have figured out by now that they don't care about his use of anything... It's not about that...

Anyone that disagrees with their ideology must be evil...deluded....corrupt or as the poster I quoted above stated... well read for yourself...

I really think that this says it all..

The reason his devout "followers" listen to him is that he touches a dark and old-style place in people. People who think like he does. You know, people who are so angry that they don't get to have everything the way they want. People who would like to have a slave or two, a barefoot and pregnant, obedient wife who cooks his feasts and brings him cigars, turkey pot pies and oxycontin then rubs his feet. People who think they know it all. The arrogant and selfish fringe of right-leaning society. Rush completes them. He validates their dark wishes about society

Why is there any need to continue debate with people that see life like this?

Rush is a Political Commentator and nothing more.. The left hates him because of ...

1. His success (Most of all)
2. His views (Only slightly second)
3. The First Amendment.. (They really hate that)

So, it is useless to try and talk common sense when they think the way that they do.. See above...

While I don't listen that often anymore, the fact that the left is trying to pull him down using anything and everything they can, just goes to the truth of all that he says..

Semper

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Maybe he didn't see himself as an addict? Maybe he saw those who knowingly injested illegal drugs as the addicts?

You just heard him speak out against addicts. Was he an addict? I don't classify perscription addicts who got them legally and your local heroin addict in the same category.

You may not but the medical community does:

Rehab's Role in Treating Addiction

Actor Michael Douglas, radio commentator Rush Limbaugh, and former congressman Mark Foley might seem to have little in common, but there's one experience they do share: rehab.

Hardly a week goes by that we don't hear of some new high-profile actor, singer, or politician checking into a center to treat a drug or alcohol problem. And when a celebrity goes to rehab, it's often to an exclusive facility with marble baths, ocean views, and a full spa.

It's enough to give addiction treatment a bad name. A 30-day stay in a rehab clinic used to be a common treatment for addicts. But today it's rarely covered by insurance, and thus too costly for most Americans. Does that mean that effective treatment is only for the rich and famous?

Fortunately, the answer is no. Outpatient treatment has proven to be equally effective for many addicts, experts say. Either way, not even the fanciest program can guarantee successful treatment. Success also requires a lifelong effort by the patient to stay clean.

www.medicinenet.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mpriebe81

Yep, I thought the same thing until my expierance with it. Now I see it as one thing to get the suff for a legit injury and becoming addicted and another going down to the bad part of town and picking up some crack or heroin.

It is easy to judge when you are looking in from the outside.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Rush claims a listening audience of 20 to 30 million people... mostly men... who hang on his every word. The rest of us... 300 + million strong couldn't give a rats ass about his opinions.

I used to respect the Republican party even if I didn't agree with it... rush and his ilk are why I hold it (with the exception of a few) in contempt.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I can honestly say that i've been to the doctor, and i've been to the bad part of town as well.
The end result is pretty much the same in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

That was nothing but a rip on celeb rehab centers. How is that countering what I said in my post? Even if it did say that that both addicts are the same. I said my expierance showed me that the two are not the same.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
That was nothing but a rip on celeb rehab centers. How is that countering what I said in my post?

Did you read the article? Written by a doctor for WebMD?

Even if it did say that that both addicts are the same. I said my expierance showed me that the two are not the same.

Sorry, didn't know you were a doctor.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
reply to post by jd140

I can honestly say that i've been to the doctor, and i've been to the bad part of town as well.
The end result is pretty much the same in my opinion.

I didn't say the end result wasn't the same.

You going to the doctor is one thing. If you was given a pain medication, it was because you was injured. If an addiction grew from a perscription for that injury was the result, then you are more of a victim then you are a criminal.

Your little trip to the bad part of the town is not excusable, you knowingly put an illegal substance in your body and that makes you a criminal. If you had gotten caught and locked up I would not have felt any sympathy for you at all.

Addiction is Addiction. They way you get to that addiction is what defines you as being a criminal or not.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

One Look dictionary:

▸ noun: someone who is physiologically dependent on a substance; abrupt deprivation of the substance produces withdrawal symptoms
▸ noun: someone who is so ardently devoted to something that it resembles an addiction ("A golf addict")
▸ verb: to cause (someone or oneself) to become dependent (on something, especially a narcotic drug)

www.onelook.com...

It didn't say anything about being a criminal or not. An addict is an addit. Simple.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

A doctor can describe what they think cancer will be like, but a cancer patient can tell you what they know it is like.

You going to believe the doctor or the cancer patient?

I got a little taste of pain medication addiction. Does that make me an addict? Am I a criminal?

The article had a doctor that said celeb rehab rarely works. No Crap! What are you trying to show me in that article?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Keep on judging buddy.

I hope one day you are able to experiance what I felt. 3 doses into my perscription I felt it grab hold of me. I had 15 doeses.

I actually feel sorry for you. I used to feel the same way that you did. Now I see how ignorant I was to judge.

Hopefully you will see also.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join