It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tibet: 50 Years Of Brutal Occupation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I haven't forgotten and I'm not avoiding, I'm just really busy at the moment (lots of student assessment etc).

Really? One might be forgiven for thinking you've actually run out of questionable sources to call on. No offence, but I really think you are missing the point. The odd, random farmer may well be quoted as saying he or she feels better off under Chinese rule, but come on man, where the hell are you at?

For every solitary farmer who may - or may not - have actually said that, I'll give you a thousand-plus political prisoners who'll tell you something very different.

I’ll leave you to your assessments...

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by winston_boy

you'd be best to leave me to my assessments.

One of the benefits of working in a Tertiary Institution is access to resources. The downside is that there is a hell of a lot of information to trawl through, so if you have nothing to offer about the topic at hand you can keep your 'assessment' of me to yourself. I actually have a life which is fulfilling yet busy and that is my priority.

If you knew anything about the history of the region you might think differently, or you might still be a fanboi.

I'm not going to rush into my reply just to appease you.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by winston_boy

Arent they supposed to be about non-attachment? Somone needs to tell them to practice what they preach.

Not aware of too many creeds or cultures who practice what they preach. Do Christians or Democrats or Popes or Presidents pratice what they preach? Get real, dude.

At the end of the day they're just ordinary people being brutalized by a regime so powerful on the world stage no one has the political balls to stop them.

You realise how stupid this sounds right? Even if the chinese are as ignorant as your or the dali himself....... who then is the captian of the ship? Where is this understanding of the move and tide of evolution... the creation and distruction of understanding... They never understood to begin with. Non attachment is a delusion. Understanding gives desire... desire NEVER disapears it only changes.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

you'd be best to leave me to my assessments.

Yes, to judge by your above wholly inappropriate reply, perhaps I'd best...

One of the benefits of working in a Tertiary Institution is access to resources. The downside is that there is a hell of a lot of information to trawl through, so if you have nothing to offer about the topic at hand you can keep your 'assessment' of me to yourself.

For the record, t'was I who started the topic. I have plenty to offer and a lifetime of experience as backup. Your aggressive, opinionated, defensive stance, on the other hand, speaks volumes about what you have to offer on the topic. If what you refer to as my 'assessment' of you offended in any way, however, please know that this was not my intention.

I actually have a life which is fulfilling yet busy and that is my priority.

And so it should be. Once again, if what I said in any way challenges or offends, please accept my sincere apologies.

If you knew anything about the history of the region you might think differently, or you might still be a fanboi.

I take exception to that. You do not know me or anything about my experience of the region, nor anything about my knowledge of the history of the region.

But be that as it may, I have to reiterate that you seem to be missing the point entirely. If anyone is a fanboy it is surely you. It is you who seems fanatically fixed on this subject according to your own rather minority viewpoint. And even then your replies seem to be arguing the socio-political rather than the humanitarian viewpoint, the latter forming the original intent for this thread. Which is why I maintain you keep missing the point.

I'm not going to rush into my reply just to appease you.

Fine. Why should you?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Originally posted by winston_boy

Arent they supposed to be about non-attachment? Somone needs to tell them to practice what they preach.

Not aware of too many creeds or cultures who practice what they preach. Do Christians or Democrats or Popes or Presidents pratice what they preach? Get real, dude.

At the end of the day they're just ordinary people being brutalized by a regime so powerful on the world stage no one has the political balls to stop them.

You realise how stupid this sounds right? Even if the chinese are as ignorant as your or the dali himself....... who then is the captian of the ship? Where is this understanding of the move and tide of evolution... the creation and distruction of understanding... They never understood to begin with. Non attachment is a delusion. Understanding gives desire... desire NEVER disapears it only changes.

If you think what I wrote sounds stupid, Wertdagf, I suggest you read through your own post with a little more care.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Just what have some of you guys been popping man? I can't believe some of the replies on this thread.

Like I said earlier, a race of peace-loving folks are being blatantly oppressed, tortured, raped and murdered by a race of empire-building dinosaurs, you know? That's all that matters. Doesn't matter what the god damn history books say. If you see someone being mugged, you gonna stop and ask their political bias or historical context, man?

Last time. Obama needs to tell China to get the hell out of Tibet and do something meaningful about their own human rights record. But he won't because America's about to go under and he needs Jintao's economic juice to bail him out.

Sick as pigs.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by winston_boy......

Fair enough, to be honest.

All I'm trying to do is to dig into this problem to find the causes, the 'mindset' that led to this, the history of the area, using historical and first hand accounts.

On reading again, yes I did come across abrasive and defensive. I don't think we really need to apologise to each other as I'm not offended in all honesty.

I'm trying to be 'fair' in my assessment and , as you have studied this and started this threads, I think you will appreciate that there is a lot of information to wade through to get somewhere.

At the end of the day I'm still uncertain what the results will be. They may well corroborate your proposal, but I'd like to engage in some independent research without being 'signposted' by this thread and who knows, maybe I will find something new and worthwhile to ponder.

I will end this by saying that I agree that the Chinese human rights record is abysmal. I'm just trying to understand why, along with many other things.

Damn my mouth, engaging before my brain
( an attempt at self-deprecation to show that I'm trying, at least....yes, very trying :/ )

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join