It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon says Chinese vessels harassed U.S. ship

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:
BFO

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

Originally posted by Mainer
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

The report also said that the U.S. ship was unarmed. Somehow I disbelieve this.

Why would we risk such an expensive ship and have it be unarmed. That has to be total B.S.

Here is the unarmed ship they attacked with no more than logs and poles Plus if you read the article, they buzzed the ship with aircraft, blocked it with a Frigate, and just harassed the hell out of them. The Chinese are trying to provoke an armed conflict more than anything the Soviet's did during the Cold War.

Theoretically, you are supposed to be protected under Maritime Law even if you were sailing your own little dinghy in International waters. But common sense would say otherwise. Look at all of the Freighters and Tankers that Somali pirates commandeered with nothing but little boats and Kalishnakov's. How many of those are still held hostage?

We simply do not learn from history. I don't care what the Chinese promised Clinton, our boats are not safe without armed support. At least they didn't hijack the ship, like the North Korean's did in 1968

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Hallberg Rassy

the largest spy system in the world exists in the USA, its named Echalon. It records every text message, telephone call, skype, email, fax, cell phone, even breaks into secured smart phones. It does not differentiate between who you are, it records everything. If you were a foreign country, you would want access to this system, why build your own when you can hijack US system like Echalon. So its what the French, Israeli, German, Russian, Cuban, British, and pretty much G20 Nations do....they hijack US Spy systems for their own Use. Your own government built the spy system that other countries use to gather information on american citizens and american corporations, while US agencies use it to spy on foreign companies and citizens. This is why its called the great game.

You know my friend everyone loves a good game. A great one? Count me in too! You know what makes a game really great? The prize!

What's the prize? It's not how you play the game it's whether you win or loose! What is the prize that they are all after?

Until you know the prize my friend you, I, no one will ever be able to defeat them or win the game themselves. For the game, it's always about, and I mean always about securing the prize.

The real secret in this game. Is the prize.

Look for the prize. Forewarned is forearmed.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Could this be why the Chinese were busy distracting the Navy ship?

New Chinese SSBN Deploys to Hainan Island

The Chinese navy has deployed a Jin-class (Type 094) ballistic missile submarine to a new base near Yulin on Hainan Island on the South China Sea, according to a satellite image obtained by FAS. The image shows the submarine moored at a pier close to a large sea-entrance to an underground facility.

Also visible is a unique newly constructed pier that appears to be a demagnetization facility for submarines.

A dozen tunnels to underground facilities are visible throughout the base compound.

The satellite image, which has also been described in Jane’s Defense Weekly, was taken by the QuickBird satellite on February 27, 2008, and purchased by FAS from DigitalGlobe.

The Arrival of the Jin-Class Submarine

The dimensions of the submarine in the satellite image are similar to the Jin-class SSBN I spotted at Xiaopingdao Submarine Base in July 2007 and the two Jin-class SSBNs I detected at the Bohai shipyard in October 2007.

China is believed to have launched two Jin-class SSBNs with a third possibly under construction. The U.S. Intelligence community estimates that China might possibly build five SSBNs if it wants to have a near-continuous deterrent at sea. Of course, it is not known whether China plans to operate its SSBNs that way.

www.fas.org...

[edit on 3/11/2009 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Yeah, the Chinese mooned the ship.

That's not really cool. They claimed that the ship was in an area that it wasn't supposed to be and threatened them, and then mooned them.

Hahaha..they mooned the ship...Shadup Beavis!

BFO

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

They were not only distracting the surveillance, they were trying to destroy the ships sensor nets by throwing logs in the ships path. The Chinese Frigate that passed in front of the ship twice might have deployed more sophisticated countermeasures aimed at crippling the entire surveillance capability of the ship. Although the logs might have done significant damage themselves. The US DOD probably will not admit how much damage the Chinese harassment caused. But, it is interesting to note that the Chinese have lodged their unwarranted complaint against the US and not the United Nations. The United Nations would almost certainly recognize the 100 mile offshore distance to be clearly in International waters. However, by lodging the complaint directly against the US Government, The US elected (and unelected) officials could very easily betray their constituents best interests in a wishy-washy weak response, debilitating the posture of the United States in its attempts to deter the aspirations of China to develop it's nuclear arsenal's submarine threat to world peace.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

It's all fun and games when you are selling the barbarians cheap junk to go with the meat scraps and duck sauce, but "you fery fery bad when you no pay" Get out! Get Out!

neither side is probably happy about this...but wow. no need to be racist

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Snisha

your source is a blog , and IMF is far more reputed than a blog.

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by sadchild01

Simply because you don't like the truth doesn't mean you can just ignore the facts. Some of us are a lot more aware of what China is doing more so than others

I'll trust those sources rather than believing you my friend.
The fact of the matter is that the whole planet is tied together and the more people try to deny that little fact the more ignorant they sound. China may try to do all those things but it will never become a reserve currency at least not while they are communists anyway.

Here is a pretty good eye opener for you pay attention and get the facts.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by SLAYER69]

China may try to do all those things but it will never become a reserve currency at least not while they are communists anyway.

but several economists and fund managers like Jim Rogers, Peter Schiff ,Igor Panarin and former diplomats like MK Bhadrakumar disagree with you

afgen.com...
Dollar Shock - Yuan to Become Asia's Regional Reserve Currency
www.digitaljournal.com...
Welcome the Chinese Yuan as the new world reserve currency
Belarus added the Chinese Yuan as a reserve currency in addition to the USD, RR and EUR.
I want to congratulate the National Bank of Belarus for having the foresightedness to make this important move!
www.sanjayjohn.com...

Even Russia has added yuan to reserve currency status and Russia is a very major power
Here are the key points to take away from this article:

1) The fact the China is starting a second batch of settlement trials shows how quickly authorities are moving towards making the yuan an international currency.

2) In the very near future, as China keeps expanding its settlement trials, most of its international trade will be settled in yuan, not dollars. This is a huge deal. Two of the (only) characteristic that make the dollar attractive as currency is that it can be used to buy oil and cheap consumer goods with China. Once China switches to settling trades in yuan, it will greatly undermine the utility of the dollar.

3) When the story broke about *****China making Yuan an international currency*****, I wrote that, “It is apparent that Chinese exporters are screaming at their government to internationalize its currency so they can bill in yuan.” This is the first article I have seen that confirms my suspicions:

A) Some Chinese companies "suffered huge losses when being paid in US dollars.”
B) These companies are now "strongly clamoring to introduce Chinese currency for trade settlement,"

4) Having its international trades settle in yuan is a necessary precondition for China to break its dollar peg. Right now, if China broke its dollar peg while its trade with America is still settled in dollars, Chinese exporters would incur huge losses, decimating the sector. However, once China takes the big step of allowing trades with America to be settled in yuan, it is US’s importers (ie: Wal-Mart) which will be decimated by huge losses on their contracts with China. Given how weak American retailers are right now, this event could wipe out most of the sector.

5) When the yuan does finally become a full-fledged international currency, it will immediately become one of the world’s biggest reserve currencies. Central banks around the world dump their US holdings to buy yuan, and the dollar’s purchasing power will crash.

Conclusion: China is moving fast on its efforts to internationalize its currency. Watch for a move in the near future by Chinese authorities to allow trade with the US to be settled in yuan. This event will mean that China is on the verge of breaking its dollar peg and dumping their dollar holdings.
[edit on 11-3-2009 by sadchild01]

[edit on 11-3-2009 by sadchild01]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SMEAT

It's all fun and games when you are selling the barbarians cheap junk to go with the meat scraps and duck sauce, but "you fery fery bad when you no pay" Get out! Get Out!

My warped sense of humor sure does come off wrong sometimes on the net. If this exchange was a movie scene say between Arnold Schwarzenegger and a Chinese Restaurant owner my AR people tell me the audience would be rolling in the aisles. Picture a little old lady with a broom whacking him and Arnold saying "Aisle be back"

Find a little humor in life friend. It's all meant goodhearted.

I am sorry if it offended you. Try looking at it from a different perspective.

I fery sowy!

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
This must be a recent stick they got up their pooper to pull something like this. And I'll tell you why.

About four or five months ago the small three ship strike group that I deploy on (I'm a Marine) pulled in to Hong Kong for liberty. Now, it could be that they were

A) Intimidated by the strike group

B) Were okay with us moving in to port

C) Saw no threat of us being there

Well, I don't think those are all the possible reasons, but they seem like the most logical ones to me at the moment. Of course I'm also pretty dang tired from work and my brain housing group is hurtin' not to mention that I can't think too clearly. Heh, I guess I should post on here when I'm thinking clearer, but this is how I like to unwind after work.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
The report also said that the U.S. ship was unarmed. Somehow I disbelieve this.

It probably wasn't. The nuclear sub underneath it would have been a different story...

If it was unarmed, I doubt it was alone.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Harass is such a funny word for this situation.

"Hey! Yeah, you! You fat Americans! You so fat, Americans, how you get so fat? You eat rots of cow, Americans! Your mother is rot rike whale, Americans! She fat rike whale! What you say? What you say? You say nothing, Americans, that what you say! I bare my butt at you Americans, you do nothing!"

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I would guess that if the Chinese had a spy ship off the coast of California, The US navy would be interested in them as well. Of course, we could send out Pelosi to moon the Chinese ship. That would get rid of them quick.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by 727eng
I would guess that if the Chinese had a spy ship off the coast of California, The US navy would be interested in them as well. Of course, we could send out Pelosi to moon the Chinese ship. That would get rid of them quick.

I'd send Michael Moore to moon them, if I were you. Although that might be construed as an act of terrorism...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Text PurpleText
Ok, first the ship is a Navy spy ship.One of the newest in the fleet.It uses SWATH technology to minimize hull noise so it can locate and track submarines.
Hainan Island happens to be one of China's biggest underground submarine bases.So there you have,we need to know what's up.They need to shoe us away.By the way these kinds of ships lay cables and sonar buoys so you could see why the Chinese where so upset.The navy starts tracking their subs as soon as they leave port.

Milton the GHeek

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I fery sowy!

Jus hilarious

2nd line

[edit on 11-3-2009 by ItsallCrazy]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Sure and if the Chinese were anywhere near the USA even if they were in international waters you better believe they would be surrounded in no time by US warships.

Stop spying and bullying other nations USA.
Don't mess with the Chinese either, they've got a couple more billion troops and own most of the states already.

Peace

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01
reply to post by Snisha

your source is a blog , and IMF is far more reputed than a blog.

It may be of assistance to you when I inform you that it is traditionally considered to be a wise policy to actually attempt to back up your statements with FACTS.

Firstly, let us examine the definition of....

BLOG(n.) Short for Web log, a blog is a Web page that serves as a publicly accessible personal journal for an individual. Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author.

www.webopedia.com...

The two sources used on my previous post were Stratfor Global Intelligence and Seeking Alpha both of which ARE REPUTABLE NEWS/INFORMATION SOURCES and not "blogs" composed by questionable hacks.

I assume you were referring to Nouriel Roubini statement in the Seeking Alpha article and you wish to discredit his assessment of "economic superpower people's republic of china"

Let us now examine the esteemed Mr. Roubini's credentials to gain a measure of insight...

Nouriel Roubini (born on March 29, 1959) is a professor of economics at the Stern School of Business, New York University and chairman of RGE MONITER, an economic consultancy firm. After receiving his doctorate in international economics from Harvard University, he began academic research and policy-making by teaching at Yale while also spending time at the International Monetary Fund, the Federal Reserve, World Bank and Bank of Israel. Much of his early studies were focused on emerging-market countries.
en.wikipedia.org...

But wait! here's where it really gets good...

Noted as an economic forecaster, as early as 2005, Roubini wrote, "'home prices were riding a speculative wave that would soon sink the economy.' Back then the professor was called a Cassandra. Now he's a sage."

In September, 2006, he announced to a skeptical International Monetary Fund (IMF) that an economic crisis was brewing. "In the coming months and years, he warned, the United States was likely to face a once-in-a-lifetime housing bust, an oil shock, sharply declining consumer confidence and, ultimately, a deep recession," according to the New York Times. He accurately foresaw "homeowners defaulting on mortgages, trillions of dollars of mortgage-backed securities unraveling worldwide and the global financial system shuddering to a halt," the NY Times even labeling him "Dr. Doom." In hindsight, IMF economist Prakash Loungani has called him "a prophet," and the vice chairman of AIG said "Roubini was intellectually courageous, and he called the shots correctly."

Because his descriptions of the current economic crisis have proven to be accurate, he is today a major figure in the U.S. and international debate about the economy. Prospect Magazine in January, 2009, voted him #2 on its "list of the world’s 100 greatest living public intellectuals." He has recently appeared before Congress, the Council on Foreign Relations and the World Economic Forum at Davos. Having become a sought-after adviser, he spends much of his time shuttling between meetings with central bank governors and finance ministers in Europe and Asia."
en.wikipedia.org...

So as you can now clearly see, RGE MONITER is Mr. Roubini's economic consultancy firm and NOT a blog and this man is considered to be The preeminent Economist in the world today.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by Snisha]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Snisha

but then there are other economists in the IMF too

China confident of growth, US economy falters

6 days ago

BEIJING (AFP) — A confident Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said Thursday his country could still post eight percent economic growth in 2009 despite the global meltdown, as grim US data hinted at a prolonged recession.

Although Wen admitted the world's third biggest economy was struggling, and he did not unveil any new stimulus measures as expected, his growth forecast was well received on Asian markets, with Tokyo closing up 1.95 percent and Shanghai up 1.80 percent at midday.
www.google.com...

-----
also IMF is confident that China is in no recession

Secondly, Startfor is no good source
thirdly , Mr. Roubini's credentials seem to indicate that he could be right

and now another article from your source :

China is about to experience a massive boom.
How can this be, you ask? China has too much capacity relative to domestic demand; as foreign (export) demand falters, China's overcapacity will cause massive layoffs, workers will lose their jobs in factories and will have to return to their homes in the countryside in vast numbers causing a collapse in the real estate bubble dependent cities that were built on the back of the export boom.
--
So where is the boom you ask? Right on the surface. On the land, that is. Because China just created a new set of regulations allowing farmers to, get this, sell their land! Now in China, all land for almost the entire period that the Communist party has been in power has been owned by the party. All land belongs to the state, city dwelling apartment owners can rent land for seventy years. Rural people are allocated land by local party and government (sort of the same thing in what is effectively a one party state) officials in their villages for fixed periods of time. There is no private ownership of land. Period. Especially rural land.
seekingalpha.com...

Most Economists Say China to See Recovery in 2009

Poll: Most Economists Say China to See Recovery in 2009 2009-02-06 13:32:46 Xinhua Web Editor: Hu Weiwei 92 percent of the economists polled believed China's economy will recover from the global financial crisis in 2009, backed by the government's four-trillion-yuan stimulus plan.
english.cri.cn...

compare that to USA , which will enter depression according to Gerald Celente and possibly disintegrate in several republics according to Igor Panarin

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
This will teach Obama not to have imperialist ambitions in the South China Sea that belongs to China. Good job China!!!
Obama is a warmonger!

Wait a minute!

I thought everyone knew Bush as the Ultra American Warmonger? Isn't Obama the savior of the USA and by default the world?
Someone please tell me where I should stand.

(Hoping everyone caught my sarcasm!)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

also IMF is confident that China is in no recession

The same IMF that did not see the worldwide recession looming back in 2006 like Mr. Roubini???

Secondly, Startfor[sic] is no good source

And you base your statement of Stratfor's unsuitability for reporting on this subject how?????

Mr. Roubini's credentials seem to indicate that he could be right

So you agree with his assessment...

the world's premier economic analyst, Nouriel Roubini of the RGE Monitor doesn't just say that China won't grow in 2009. He claims that China is already in a recession, despite statistics to the contrary.
seekingalpha.com...

Since you seem to be developing an affinity for Seeking Alpha as a credible source here are a few more choice nuggs from them to chew on...

A small article in Friday’s China Daily reported a startling number that revealed the true depths of China recession - giving investors pause for any near-term recovery in the country’s blistering economic growth of years past. An estimated 600,000 migrant workers have left China’s southern Guangdong Province due to unemployment in 2008, the China Daily said. Most of these people are migrant workers who left their farms for higher paying jobs in factories. Now, Guangdong Province Vice Governor Huang Yunlong says that the financial crisis has brought Guangdong “the most difficult year after the 1998 Asian financial crisis,” as he was quoted in China Daily.

Reuters reported that China could face “surging protests and riots in 2009 as rising unemployment stokes discontent” after an article appeared in the state-run Outlook Magazine, issued by the official Xinhua news agency.

This could be the tacit message from Beijing that it is bracing for major unemployment riots as tensions rise over diminishing jobs and pay checks.

The riots could result from a culture clash as seven million freshly graduated college students vie for factory jobs with an estimated 10 million rural migrant workers.

As we have seen in the past, China’s irons fist and systematic bribery have contributed to a sense of stability that has attracted one of the high rates of foreign direct investment in the world.This valuable façade could easily crumble in the wake of a widespread insurrection by the millions of unemployed.

So while investors who like China survey the landscape through the lens of the global recession, they should also be ready for a whack to their portfolio from the angry masses.
seekingalpha.com...

Most Economists Say China to See Recovery in 2009

Poll: Most Economists Say China to See Recovery in 2009 2009-02-06 13:32:46 Xinhua Web Editor: Hu Weiwei 92 percent of the economists polled believed China's economy will recover from the global financial crisis in 2009, backed by the government's four-trillion-yuan stimulus plan.
english.cri.cn...

You mean a poll from the SAME ECONOMISTS who failed to forcast the onset of the current world economic crisis?
Perhaps they can attend some lectures by Nouriel Roubini and start making accurate economic predictions.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by Snisha]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join