It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon says Chinese vessels harassed U.S. ship

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Pentagon says Chinese vessels harassed U.S. ship

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Pentagon said Monday that Chinese ships harassed a U.S. surveillance ship Sunday in the South China Sea in the latest of several instances of "increasingly aggressive conduct."

During the incident, five Chinese vessels "shadowed and aggressively maneuvered in dangerously close proximity to USNS Impeccable, in an apparent coordinated effort to harass the U.S. ocean surveillance ship while it was conducting routine operations in international waters," the Pentagon said in
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The Chinese seem to be getting a bit touchy after Secretary of State Clinton's visit?

Though surveillance ship is a euphemism for spy ship, what is going on in China now that we need a surface ship close by gathering intelligence.

The plot thickens.

Is it bad debtors are just treated shabbily or is there much more to it?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yeah, the Chinese mooned the ship.

That's not really cool. They claimed that the ship was in an area that it wasn't supposed to be and threatened them, and then mooned them.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'm assuming they were monitoring North Korea. China was our adversary in the first Korean Conflict, I don't see how they wouldn't be again.

Touchy situation, IMO.

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Yeah, the Chinese mooned the ship.

That's not really cool. They claimed that the ship was in an area that it wasn't supposed to be and threatened them, and then mooned them.

I hope this kind of warfare takes the lead though.

Cuhail

[edit on 3/9/2009 by Cuhail]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Wow! Talk about being treated as a second class debtor empire!

What a way to rub our noses in it.

CNN claims we water cannoned their approaching launches and the crew stripped supposedly by inference because they were all wet.

Maybe that's just the MSM trying to mask the political statement of being mooned by the Chinese.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I'd like to see them try and harass a carrier group

Seriously, this is dangerous behavior - neither the US or China wants to start a war over some silly incident like this. Although, I guess spy planes and bombers are always playing similar games in the skies.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Curio

'd like to see them try and harass a carrier group

don't worry , the supersonic russian Tu-22m3 is precisely made for that

Seriously, this is dangerous behavior - neither the US or China wants to start a war over some silly incident like this. Although, I guess spy planes and bombers are always playing similar games in the skies.

call me when you americans pay off your trillion dollar debts to only economic superpower people's republic of china(PRC) .

[edit on 9-3-2009 by sadchild01]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

"They dropped pieces of wood in the water directly in front of Impeccable's path."

A Pentagon spokesman called the incident "one of the most aggressive actions we've seen in some time. We will certainly let Chinese officials know of our displeasure at this reckless and dangerous maneuver."

(CNN)

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
They were trying to snag sonar gear... Hmmm wonder if that was just opportunistic vandalism or an indicator of what the Chinese were up to. Maybe they were playing with their subs in the area?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I can't help but imagine this has something to do with Beijing's displeasure over the state of the U.S. driven world economy and our staggering debt to it.

It's all fun and games when you are selling the barbarians cheap junk to go with the meat scraps and duck sauce, but "you fery fery bad when you no pay" Get out! Get Out!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

The report also said that the U.S. ship was unarmed. Somehow I disbelieve this.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by chips

I wonder if the Pentagon will be calling China collect to complain?

Personally I always liked the Steve Miller song "Take the money and run"

Evidently the Chinese don't, or we just aren't very good sprinters?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

The report also said that the U.S. ship was unarmed. Somehow I disbelieve this.

Spy ships are usually lightly armed. No Aegis attack systems though, or multi zoned batteries of anti-aircraft weapons.

They usually carry one or two anti-aircraft guns, a few depths charges, side arms for the crew, and probably just one or two nukes! Like those could do anything?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

The USNS Impeccable sprayed one ship with water from fire hoses to force it away. Despite the force of the water, Chinese crew members stripped to their underwear and continued closing within 25 feet, the Defense Department said.

Stripping down to their underwear

I guess that's the Chinese version of Shock and awe!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

They were trying to snag sonar gear... Hmmm wonder if that was just opportunistic vandalism or an indicator of what the Chinese were up to. Maybe they were playing with their subs in the area?

Sounds like submarines to me! Good observation.

I wonder what the game they are playing might be about?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sadchild01

call me when you americans pay off your trillion dollar debts to only economic superpower people's republic of china(PRC) .

Just as soon as I can Capital One's collection agency to stop calling!

Wait in line, take a number and oh, I would gladly pay you tomorrow for a Cheeseburger today!

No pickles, Mayo and onion only please. Oh and a coke!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Its a science survey ship why would they harrass that?
Its for oceanographic scientific stuff not for spying.
They don't need ships for spying they have satellites and planes.
It doesn't even have any decent weapons on it.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Stripping down to their underwear I guess that's the Chinese version of Shock and awe!

Too funny Slayer69. Good one! Thanks.

I wonder who amongst them got caught wearing their girlfriend's underwear?

That's what I want to know!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Fox News

WASHINGTON -- The Pentagon charged Monday that five Chinese ships shadowed and maneuvered dangerously close to a U.S. Navy vessel in an apparent attempt to harass the American crew. Defense officials in the Obama administration said the incident Sunday followed several days of "increasingly aggressive" acts by Chinese ships in the region. The incident took place in international waters in the South China Sea, about 75 miles south of Hainan Island.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

Its a science survey ship why would they harrass that? Its for oceanographic scientific stuff not for spying. They don't need ships for spying they have satellites and planes. It doesn't even have any decent weapons on it.

Congratulations Captain Cave Man you have just qualified to be second in command at the United States Treasury Department.

Well said!

Just a survey ship. Tell me did you write that with a straight face? They could use you to handle Congress's briefing on the Economic Crisis tomorrow.

Thanks for the post.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join