It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost Hunters on Sci-Fi is fake

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpish

Yeah I know here we go a little light humor enjoy

(click to open player in new window)

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Nice vid, pretty funny

I did notice one unexplainable phenomenon in that video though, despite it being just for comedic purpose: Chris Elliot's Hair!!! What in the hell is he thinking? I realize you can't control if you lose your hair, but geez, you sure can cut all that off the back there...haha might as well just go bald.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
From experience I don't think everything they do is fake.

Last year I was in the basement of the Crescent Hotel where they caught the ghost image against the locker #2. I was there with another member of ATS, Antar, along with half a dozen other folks with camera's. While in that same room with locker #2 and the lights out, Everyone's camera quit working at the exact same time. When we turned the lights on and left the room the cameras started working again.

Something is seriously strange about that Hotel.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

I didn't see anything that could be called HOAXING by the Ghost Hunters. The videos show opinions and not actual hoaxing. Sorry.

GH's is a pretty good show but they rarely find anything interesting. If they really were faking things, I'm sure they'd find a lot more interesting things to boost their ratings now wouldn't they?

And of course scenes are staged to some extent. You know why? IT'S A T.V. SHOW ! all reality shows are staged to some extent as it's necessary for filming. That's just the way it is.

I personally find some of their conclusions dubious but I'm not there and also their conclusions are just opinions.

Overall, it's a good show that, in my opinion, is not a hoax.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Great thread. Of course its fake. Its a TV show! Sci-fi is a business, would they air a show about ghosts that didn't have "ghosts" on it?

Quick story, When these TAPS fellows started and had signed the deal with sci-fi they contacted my business partner at the music studio I had in Rhode Island about "analyzing" audio for the show. (Don't get me started on those crappy 20 dollar dictation recorders they use to capture "evidence")

To put it nicely these guys are serious morons.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Honestly the one thing I don't really care for is that they say they're there to help. They're really there to research and collect evidence but not remove ghosts. They're not Ghostbusters, they're ghost hunters.

Another thing I'd like to see is the use of better equipment. such as HD cams and headpiece audio/cams. It seems that every time the ghost hunters see something cool, the camera man is looking at his feet

[edit on 7-3-2009 by jfj123]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Did you watch the video embedded at the bottom of page 2? It pretty convincingly debunks the "jacket tug" (at least in my eyes). You can see his right hand doing something every time his jacket gets "tugged" and it seems to be by his side the entire time manipulating or fidgeting with something. Also, moments before the tug happens, he goes into a little alcove and does whatever with his camera, but in any case is no longer in his hand...so he could manipulate the jacket perhaps?

Now, I'm not saying everything that they do is fake, how could I? I'm just saying that if they faked that, take anything else they do with a grain of salt.

Also, just FYI, there ARE TV shows out there that don't fake stuff. There are many shows on the history channel and discovery channel, etc, that are completely factual. Just because it is a TV show does not mean they have to dupe people into believing something. Present the facts, let people make up their own mind, but don't manufacture evidence.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimpish
reply to post by jfj123

Did you watch the video embedded at the bottom of page 2? It pretty convincingly debunks the "jacket tug" (at least in my eyes). You can see his right hand doing something every time his jacket gets "tugged" and it seems to be by his side the entire time manipulating or fidgeting with something. Also, moments before the tug happens, he goes into a little alcove and does whatever with his camera, but in any case is no longer in his hand...so he could manipulate the jacket perhaps?

Now, I'm not saying everything that they do is fake, how could I? I'm just saying that if they faked that, take anything else they do with a grain of salt.

Also, just FYI, there ARE TV shows out there that don't fake stuff. There are many shows on the history channel and discovery channel, etc, that are completely factual. Just because it is a TV show does not mean they have to dupe people into believing something. Present the facts, let people make up their own mind, but don't manufacture evidence.

I appreciate your input. I do find GH's entertaining and have always taken their conclusions with a grain of salt.
The thing that makes me want to give them the benefit of the doubt is that I have seen a few things that I cannot explain by conventional science and I am the ULTIMATE skeptic. As Winston Zeddemore (ghostbusters) would say, "I've seen Sh!t that would turn you white!".

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This is the video that explains it all.
www.hulu.com...

Remember the guy that "spoke" with the dead? I can't remember his name. But Penn and Teller tore him a new one if I recall.
This ghost thing is just another fad.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

I completely agree. I also find the show entertaining. But to take it as proof of ghosts is folly, especially with things coming to light where they have hoaxed/staged incidents. Even knowing that though, I'll still put it on occasionally for entertainment.

I'm not trying to dash anyones belief in ghosts, as I have seen some pretty weird things in my day as well. I say, enjoy the show!! But I also feel like if they are going to stage things sometimes, that people should know about it. Too many people believe everything they see on TV anyways, much less from a show that is supposed to be about doing ghost research, when in reality it's all about entertainment.

I have no problem with that, and I will continue to enjoy the show. I do think that its sad that if they really do have some powerful proof, debunkers can point to them faking stuff in the past. That's too bad

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I think that Taps at its core is real but the USA network ( parent of Sci_fi) maybe trying to push for nore results, as it were. Whether they are truly complicit or just trying to fulfill thier contracts is another beast all together.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimpish
reply to post by jfj123

I completely agree. I also find the show entertaining. But to take it as proof of ghosts is folly,

I agree. I've only seen a few things that are INTRIGUING but far from proof of ghosts.

especially with things coming to light where they have hoaxed/staged incidents. Even knowing that though, I'll still put it on occasionally for entertainment.

I just keep in mind it's just like every other reality show out there. It must be staged for it to make it to tv, no way around it.
A few things I find annoying is that they add creepy sounds throughout the show so you don't know if what you're hearing is live or add in's. I also hate they way they do some of their edits to make it seem like someone saw something incredible but it was nothing.

Good posts by the way

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I have been a fan of the show since the beginning. I have seen weird things myself and I believe some of their evidence is compelling. I think for awhile there it got a little too snippy between some of the members but it seems they have gotten more professional as time has passed. I don't think you will ever really prove they exist but there is evidence that something is happening. Interesting.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The guys video is just speculation. Like PP said, of course they need to take postions with the cameras. You don't want to walk into something and not have the camera rolling.

As for fidgeting with the sound device, that is speculation also. Me not being the most saavy person, if I hit the wrong button, I would't get back to it anytime soon. Whose to say it wasn't an instrument he hasn't used before and didn't know his way around it.

The only part I do agree with is that the jacket thing is bunk. I think that was the big mistakes for TAPS, because everyone saw it and started talking.

I think the difference that needs to be made is whether it is really TAPS, or just Grant.

The big problem is a logistical one. These guys have their own businesses and families. But I think if you really want to catch any decent material, you really need to stay at a place for at least a week.

There are very few places that are so haunted, that you catch anything in one night, or two, much less in a few hours.

I was severely dissappointed when they did Dracula's castle. Supposed to be one of the creepiest places on Earth. They had a couple of people, for a few hours, in a few spots. And most of that outside. To me, it looked like they were trying NOT to catch anything. I can that a show production is limiting, but they should of skipped that one altogether if that was the only attention they were gonna give it.

C'mon. They focused where his wife jumped off the tower, instead of where 10k people were killed or buried in teh floor.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The only part I do agree with is that the jacket thing is bunk.

Ah, but see therein lies the problem. As soon as you are caught doing one thing like this, it calls everything else into question unfortunately. It's just way too easy for debunkers to say now, "well they faked that, who's to say they aren't faking xxx". Kind of a bummer, I highly doubt anything other than entertainment will ever come from that show at this point, just due to that jacket incident, even if that was the only thing they ever faked.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'll admit, I only watched the first video, however if all of them are alike then I don't see a point in watching the rest, considering I didn't see any evidence to support any claims of hoaxes.

Before you say it, I'm not a 'fan boi', in fact I haven't watched the show in years for a very simple reason: nothing ever happens.

On that note, if they were truly faking the series, why wouldn't they 'fake' something exciting? A few bumps in the dark and disembodied voices on occasion are neat, but it soon becomes monotonous. It seems to me if they weren't legit then there would be a lot more going on than some people walking around buildings in the dark.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Personally, if there are such things as ghosts, I believe they are intelligent and stay away from TAPS when they come. If I was a ghost I wouldn't come out for them either. They get the chance to go to some of the most 'paranormally active' places in the world and almost always come back empty handed.

They are also rather annoying when they give each other the proverbial 'slap on the back' and congratulate themselves on a good job. I can see Grant giving his team a thumbs up or a 'job well done' but when he appreciates himself that is seriously funny.

Edit: Typo

[edit on 8-3-2009 by GTORick]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Well at least they don't have a medium flopping around screaming they are possessed. There might be some tom foolery for a live Oct 31 show, but the normal ones have boring endings most of the time, so I would say they are not staging much if anything for those.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
You know, I never really thought of it being fake until now.
The videos don't prove a thing but...thinking of how TV shows work proves it being a hoax show.

RATINGS, RATINGS, RATINGS!!

And if a ghost show surpassed south park in ratings, then..well...

come on...it's gotta be a hoax!

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I agree the first video does not show much other than the jacket tug and the stuff with them getting set up for shots has nothing to do with hoaxes it's just the way the making of a show works.

The other thing in the video that really set of the alarm for me was when the guest host starting saying that he heard the EVP in his earpiece and that is not possible because it was only captured on the recording device so that means the producers already had the sound clip.

Also you can see Jay trying to shut the guy up by saying that he heard the voice from the EVP and footsteps to go along with it, when just minutes before it was only Grant who heard the voice. So how did Jay go from not even hearing the voice to then hearing the voice and footsteps? You may not agree but that made it clear to me they were trying to distract the guy so he would drop the part about hearing it in his earpiece.

I think the TAPS crew was legit back when the show first came out and for the first few season after but I think their producers and the Sci-Fi channel have made them do things they never would have done otherwise.

I am a believer in the paranormal because I have experienced things that can only be explained as paranormal. It just sucks that TAPS has taken the route that they have.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join