It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hamas Leader Abdel Aziz Rantisi Killed in Israeli Airstrike

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The leader of Hamas, the militant Islamic movement, was killed in an Israeli helicopter missile strike on his car in Gaza City last night, bringing thousands of angry Palestinians on to the streets clamouring for revenge.

Abdel-Aziz Rantissi suffered shrapnel wounds to his head and was rushed to hospital for emergency treatment. He died five minutes after doctors began emergency surgery, medical officials said.

The attack all but wipes out the leadership of the Palestinian terrorist group. It came just a month after the Israeli government carried out a similarly successful attack against Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, the 67-year-old wheelchair-bound spiritual leader and previous head of the hardline organisation.

Israelis kill new Hamas terror chief in Gaza missile strike

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
Rantisi was taken to the hospital in critical condition, his body pocked with bloody wounds and blood streaming from his head and neck, and rushed into emergency surgery. He died five minutes after arriving at the hospital, officials said.

Good, I'd rather see one person who is in charge of the best way to kill innocent civilians die like the pig he is than see 20-30-40-50-200 INNOCENT people dead in the suicide attacks this man was planning. What was the last I heard? They sent a 12 year old boy with a backpack full of explosives to be a martyr? Sick Sick Sick, I hope his death was painfull.

Qos

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Is this entertainment for you, do you consider this as a �Reality TV� show.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This man headed an organization that purposely targetted schoolbuses. No matter what Israel has done, tactics such as that are unacceptable.

Israel is showing that it isn't going to be budged by terrorist attacks. The only way this conflict is going to end is with a compromise or the complete elimin ation fo one side, yet neither Israel nor Palestine are willing to give up anything. Since Israel is the one with the missiles, it looks like they're going to win.

Unless Hamas wises up or gets their hands on a nuke, they are going to be fighting a very downhill battle from hereon out.

Their reluctance to disclose the identity of a new leader is a large blow, even if it is not obvious. The Palestinians will no longer have a face to rally around, only a shadowy Fearless Leader. Their resolve will not be as strong as it has been in the past.

Personally, I would rather have a peaceful end to the conflict. Both sides need to learn to compromise, but neither is willing to. I believe that unless something is doen soon, Palestine is going to be smashed into the ground. I do sympathize with them, but I also sympathize with the Israelis. There are no "Good Guys" or "Bad Guys" in this battle, only men who are willing to do anything to get their way.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
New Hamas leader to stay secret

HAMAS political chief Khaled Meshaal today called on his group's members in Gaza to promptly select a new leader, but without disclosing his name.

Someone's listening?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
If he stays a secret, then his effectiveness will be blunted somewhat.

I think that was the goal.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
New Hamas leader to stay secret

HAMAS political chief Khaled Meshaal today called on his group's members in Gaza to promptly select a new leader, but without disclosing his name.

Someone's listening?

The Palestinians should have started listening 40 years ago. Hammas, its leaders and its supporters are terrorists. They are not freedom fighters, heroes or legitimate citizens of any country.

Nor do I worry that Israel won't learn who the next leader of Hammas is. The Mossad will root out the truth, published or not.

It makes better sense to destroy your enemy's leadership than to wage war on civilian women and children, which is exactly what Hammas, the PlO and Al Queda do consistantly.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qos
Is this entertainment for you, do you consider this as a �Reality TV� show.

No... ABSOLUTELY NOT. Don't even go there mate...

What is Hamas' history? DEATH of innocents by cowardly acts of suicide bombings...

Is THAT entertaining for YOU? These IDIOTS need to learn how to fight like MEN if they desire their land. They claim Jihad (Holy War) but send children in their stead to die while killing NON COMBATANTS...

What do you expect their outcome to be? They will be exterminated in the streets like the RATS they are until they learn to act like HUMAN BEINGS.

Fight the GOOD FIGHT, do NOT send women and children strapped with bombs out to kill other women and children.

m...

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I have a question and can't seem to find an acurate or reliable source for what I am looking for.

Does anyone know actual numbers of Palestinian vs. Israeli deaths since the beginning of the conflict or at the very least recent data and that can provide a link?

Thank you in advance, Tara.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Narnia
Does anyone know actual numbers of Palestinian vs. Israeli deaths since the beginning of the conflict or at the very least recent data and that can provide a link?

Narnia, I can't vouch for the accuracy or lack of bias in either of these sites, but they may be helpful.
Al-Jazeerah Information Center
The Israeli Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories
They seem to have differing figures, but like any charged situation, the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre

Originally posted by Narnia

Narnia, I can't vouch for the accuracy or lack of bias in either of these sites, but they may be helpful.
Al-Jazeerah Information Center
The Israeli Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories
They seem to have differing figures, but like any charged situation, the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Thank you Spectre, I've seen the figures of The Israeli Center for Human Rights, I just wonder of those figures how many were civillians and how many were militants(on the Palestinian side that is) and if they include suicide bombers in that figure. Al Jazeera, I pretty much stay away from any info given by them. Thier figures are way too low for israelis and way too high for Palestinians. In any regard thanks for the 411. Tara.

Qos

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Quick biography although I do know im wasting my time:

Abd Al aziz Al Rantisi was born in 23/10/1947 between two Towns Asqlan and Yaffa, after the 1994 was he was kicked out of his home town and found refuge in Gaza.
When he was six he was studying, and working at the same time period of time for a (refugee) camp, as he needed to support his poor family. After finishing his high school degree1965. He then graduated from Alexandria University 1972 as a Doctor, and Attained a masters in Child care. And finally worked as a Doctor 1976.

AL Rantisi is married and has six children (four girls and two boys).
The Doctor had worked in many possessions, including the Red Cross.
1978 when the University of Gaza opened he lectured there.
In 1983 He was arrested on the charges of not wiling to pay taxis to the Israel government. And was also arrested again in /15/1988.
1987 he was the founder of (HAMAS) he was imprisoned for two year on the grounds that he was performing a threat to the Israeli state.
He was freed on the 4/9/1990 and was arrested again on14/12/1990.
Apparently both Sheik Yassen and Ransity were in the same jail cell!!!
1992 He was moved with 400 other people to south of Lebanon, and he became the official spokes men for the group. Once he returned he was caught again by Israel and imprisoned him. But this time threw out a military court until the middle of 1997.

In 1998 the Palestinian authority took him in, for the period of 15 months and was left to see his mother die on her death bed.
The Doctor was caught by the Parisian authority and after starving for days and Israel bombing of the Jail he was set free after a full 27 months.
2003 he was able to survive an assassination in Gaza where Israel had Sent Missals to his car and missed but had injured his Son.
22/4/2004 when Yassen was assassinated Rantissi was Voted Leader of Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
17/4/2004 Rantisi Died with two of his companions after Israeli military Helicopters launched missiles onto his car on his way home.

Qos

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
With regards to the statistic that are given out on the Number of Deaths:
Oh how sweet they actually decided to chuck out any one who was assonated or killed in massacres pre the new millennium, and reached a final conclusion (No ones counting right)!

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I am disturbed and saddened by the lack of empathy displayed by some of the members of this board, toward the innocents who have died at the hands of Israel's army. Do you honestly think that Israel is the poor, unfortunate victim in this and Palestine consists of nothing but terrorists? Do you think that Israel was justified in forcing over half a million people to leave their homes, even though they had no where to go but refugee camps? Have you been so seduced by the US media that you really believe Israel wouldn't murder innocent Palestinian civilians? Both sides of this war are committing horrible crimes against each other, and to support Israel's actions is to support terrorism too! Don't fool yourselves into thinking you're supporting the "good guy's" fight against "evil", because to support anything other than non-violence on both sides, is to support terrorist actions.

In case you're not familiar with some of the atrocities committed by Israel against Palestinians, I'm posting a couple of excerpts. I would recommend following the links and reading the full articles, if you really care about being non-biased on this issue.

(I have not posted the Israeli side of things, because the media already does a great job of detailing the attacks on and deaths of their civilians. Besides, there are plenty of pro-Israel, anti-Palestinian people around here to do that.

[Excerpts - interview with New York Times reporter Chris Hedges - NPR - Fresh Air - October 30, 2001]

BOGAEV: You describe daily encounters between Israeli soldiers and
Palestinians there. And most of those killed are young Palestinian boys. What did you see of this fighting while you were there? How did this shooting go down?

Mr. HEDGES: Well, every afternoon--you know, you could almost time
it--around 3 or 4, the Palestinian kids, who have nowhere to play...would go out on the dunes and they'd have kites or rag balls and this kind of stuff...I heard it the first day...I'm listening over the loudspeaker to the worst curse words in Arabic, and phrases like, you know, 'All the Palestinians who live in Khan Yunis are dogs,' which is calling an Arab a dog is particularly insulting.

And I walked out towards the dunes and they were--the--over the
loudspeaker from an Israeli army Jeep on the other side of the electric fence they were taunting these kids. And these kids started to throw rocks. And most of these kids were 10, 11, 12 years old...the rocks were the size of a fist. They were being hurled towards a Jeep that was armor-plated. I doubt they could even hit the Jeep. And then I watched the soldiers open fire. And it was--I mean, I've seen kids shot in Sarajevo. I mean, snipers would shoot kids in Sarajevo. I've seen death squads kill families in Algeria or El Salvador. But I'd never seen soldiers bait or taunt kids like this and then shoot them for sport.

The settlements have been made in territory outside of Israel, technically "occupied" by Israel and subject to international law that clearly prohibits dispossession and settlement by the "belligerent occupying power" (the Palestinians are "protected persons" under the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949; violations of that Convention, including dispossession and settlements, are "war crimes"). This systematic violation of international law has been going on for several decades, just as the creation of new "facts on the ground" in brazen violation of Article 31(7) of Oslo has proceeded since 1993, but as the United States does not object, and in fact has supported these law and agreement violations by massive economic and military aid, and by vetoing any hostile UN actions (it has used the veto an estimated 60 times to give Israeli ethnic cleansing and law violations free play), international law is inoperative.

www.zmag.org...

Maybe the Muslims in Palestine and the Arab Nations don't like us because we've vetoed any attempt to by the UN, to protect them or place Israel in check. Just a thought, but if I were in their shoes, I'd hate us too!

Someone asked a little while ago, how many civilians have died, on either side, as a result of this war. I found this source and it seems to be using legitimate numbers. They have a link on their page that goes to a site that lists the specifics of most all the deaths.

**Since 1987, 1,342 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli security forces in Israel and the Occupied Territories. An additional 132 were killed by Israeli civilians, and 161 of the total were killed by Israeli death squads. This brings the total Palestinian deaths to 1,474.
**Since 1987, 304 Israeli civilians and security force personnel have been killed by Palestinians in Israel and the Occupied Territories.
**Of the total numbers of dead, 225 Palestinians have been killed since the beginning of 1994 (roughly since the peace process began), while 170 Israelis have been killed in the same period.
www.hartford-hwp.com...

My take on these assassinations is that Israel seems to be intentionally pushing the buttons they know will inflame the Palestinians and increase the terrorist's attacks. I fear the White House's response, or lack thereof, will only serve to bring more support for al-Qaeda and others like them. For someone who is so concerned with preventing attacks on America or it's "interests", it sure seems like Bush and co. are trying hard to piss them off.

The White House early Sunday declined to criticize Israel's assassination of Hamas leader Abdel Raziz Rantisi, saying instead that Israel "has the right to defend itself from terrorist attacks" and urging restraint in the region.

A U.S. State Department official earlier denied that Washington had given the green light for the deadly missile strike as many Arabs have alleged about other similar attacks.

"There's been no change in our policy. We think Israel should bear in mind the consequences of what its doing and we also think the Palestinians should get a handle on terrorism," said the official, who asked not to be named...

Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Sha'ath also attributed the decision to assassinate Rantisi on what the Palestinians believe is a forgiving American attitude toward Israel.
"I completely condemn this Israeli crime of cold blooded killing in front of the whole world, while America gives it bits of our land and our refugees' rights. The mercy of God upon Rantisi... Israel commits crimes and is rewarded by the American president. When it commits state terrorism, it gets promises."

"Israel has been given a free hand [by the United States] to continue its policy of destruction, of siege, of assassination," said Palestinian lawmaker Hanan Ashrawi.
"Right now what is happening is very dangerous. You are closing off all options. You are saying to the Palestinians you have no political recourse, no recourse to the law, no justice anywhere."

www.haaretzdaily.com...

Other sites that may be of interest:
www.mediamonitors.net...
www.ccmep.org..../hotnews2/most041702.html

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The "SPECIAL" ATSNN/TerrorAnalysis breaking news box on www.ATSNN.com... and www.TerrorAnalysis.com... now show the most current Internet News headlines from all news sites, updated every 15 minutes. Stay current on this critical mid-east event by staying with us.
[Edited on 18-4-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Reuters reported that Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Maher issued a statement reading: "Egypt strongly condemns the new crime Israel has committed. This assassination raises questions about the reality of [Israel's] aims and confirms that it exploits opportunities to try to deceive the world, kill off the chances for peace [and] push the region to the edge of the abyss."

Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Jonathan Peled said, "Israel... today struck a mastermind of terrorism, with blood on his hands."

"The Palestinian cabinet considers this terrorist Israeli campaign is a direct result of American encouragement and the complete bias of the American administration toward the Israeli government," Prime Minister Ahmed Qurie said.

UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said: "The British government has made it repeatedly clear that so-called 'targeted assassinations' of this kind are unlawful, unjustified and counter-productive."

Palestinian legislator Hanan Ashwari said, "Predictably the Palestinians are extremely angry. They are calling out for revenge. There is a sense that Israel is not only pursuing a policy of assassination and lawlessness, but it is doing so with the full blessings of collusion of the U.S."

"(Annan) reiterates that extrajudicial killings are violations of international law and calls on the government of Israel to immediately end this practice," a spokesman said.

"It is evident now to the world that the Palestinian people need international protection more than ever," Palestinian Cabinet minister Saeb Erekat told the Reuters news agency.

This can be seen a further escalation in this "circle of doom." Now with two Hamas leaders dead within a month, revenge attacks on Israel are almost certain. Is this a good move by Israel, I think not, as in my opinion, violence raises violence, and the anilihation of leaders and/or symbols will only make the escalation develop further. But in defence of is Israel, lately the IDF tactics seem to be working, as retalliation for Yassin seems to be late.... It is time for the international community to step up its efforts in making a fair settlement possible on the issue, if you ask me.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
if the u.s. can conduct pre-emtive terrorist strikes on a global level, why shoudn't any country be able to do the same on a local level..........just a question......

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
On the other hand, what if this works? what if this has the effect of nullifying or lessening the Hamas attacks? If the Israelis can cripple the Hamas leadership to the point where it is impossible for them to plan and carry out attacks, then maybe this strategy will be successfull.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Don't be shocked and surprised, anyone could have seen this coming...I'm just waiting for when Israel outs Arafat....btw how does these assassinations help the roadblock to peace? It doesn't, it just puts more obstacles on the road.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Don't be shocked and surprised, anyone could have seen this coming...I'm just waiting for when Israel outs Arafat....btw how does these assassinations help the roadblock to peace? It doesn't, it just puts more obstacles on the road.

Thing is...neither Iarael or Palestinina leadership want a peaceful end, because a peaceful end means compromise. They want eachother dead, and that's exactly what they're doing.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join