It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hamas Leader Abdel Aziz Rantisi Killed in Israeli Airstrike

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Fury as Gaza buries Hamas leader

Tens of thousands of Palestinians took to the streets of Gaza City for the funeral of Abdel Aziz Rantissi, killed in an Israeli air strike on Saturday.
Crowds, including armed fighters from Palestinian militant groups, shouted for revenge as they threw flowers at Mr Rantissi's shrouded body.

Hamas says a new leader in Gaza has been appointed but his identity is being kept secret for security reasons.

The killing has led to outcry from world leaders, but no US condemnation.
BBC

Peace prospects bleak after killing

Justifying the latest assassination of a high profile Palestinian militant, the Israeli Prime Minister said bluntly after a cabinet meeting on Sunday that he would continue to pursue and kill "the leaders of terrorist organisations".

Having secured US support for his "unilateral disengagement" plan, Mr Sharon appears to be in no mood for compromise or to relax his controversial "targeted assassination" policy.

Abdel Aziz Rantissi knew he was a marked man and was expecting to die. BBC

RELATED LINKS

Who are Hamas?
Israel's 'targeted killings'
Washington's changing Mid-East role
Analysis: New start in the Mid-East?

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Israeli army radio is reporting that Mahmoud Zahar was just named the new Hamas leader.

He has been hiding since his appointment. Hope he has his funeral arrangements made.

[Edited on 4/18/2004 by nativeokie]

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Peace prospects are bleak.
Of course they are, they always have been.
If other Arab countries cared about the Palestinan "plight", this would all be over.
No One really cares about the Palestinians.

Other Arab nations use them as an excuse to
stay pissed at the western infidels. And it goes on, ad infinitum.

Any Hamas Leader, is the equivalent of OBL to the US, in Israels eyes. Will the next Hamas leader please stand up? (And hold still for a few minutes, for targeting purposes.)

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Hamas vows to carry out '100 retaliations' for leader's death

Shops and schools were closed in the Gaza Strip yesterday and Hamas declared a state of emergency both there and in the West Bank until revenge was complete, posting a statement on its website pledging "100 retaliations" that would shake Israel.

www.ireland.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Are schools normally in session on Saturday? Or are we talking about sunday here? I am confused.

[Edited on 18-4-2004 by HowardRoark]

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
According to the date on the article, I think we are talking about Monday there.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The article is dated on monday, but refers to schools and shops being closed yesterday (sunday). My question is what is the custom in that part of the world? are schools and shops normally open on Sunday?

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jezebel
I am disturbed and saddened by the lack of empathy displayed by some of the members of this board, toward the innocents who have died at the hands of Israel's army. Do you honestly think that Israel is the poor, unfortunate victim in this and Palestine consists of nothing but terrorists? Do you think that Israel was justified in forcing over half a million people to leave their homes, even though they had no where to go but refugee camps? Have you been so seduced by the US media that you really believe Israel wouldn't murder innocent Palestinian civilians? Both sides of this war are committing horrible crimes against each other, and to support Israel's actions is to support terrorism too! Don't fool yourselves into thinking you're supporting the "good guy's" fight against "evil", because to support anything other than non-violence on both sides, is to support terrorist actions.

Yeah, what she said.
I suggest all of you read her post again.
Im constantly amazed at how people will admit that the media is biased, but continue to trust that everything they have been taught by it is accurate. That just makes no sense.
Speaking of making no sense, violence.
Violence is a no brainer. There are no winners in violence. That being said i'm not sure what i would do if my village was being walled in, or my house was being bulldozed, or my family was starving. Ask yourself, what would you do?

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Maybe the Muslims in Palestine and the Arab Nations don't like us because we've vetoed any attempt to by the UN, to protect them or place Israel in check. Just a thought, but if I were in their shoes, I'd hate us too!

Before the Arab nations can cry victim for the Palestinians, maybe they should look at how they are treating the Kurds in their own back yard. Those Arab nations have repeatedly denied them their own land. It is hypocritical to say Israel should do all these things for the Palestinians when they themselves oppress a group of people that want their own land and freedom. The Kurds have been oppressed in Iraq, Turkey, Iran, Syria, etc.... what about the thousands that dropped dead because of WMD's. Did the Arab nations rise up against Sadam and cry human rights violations? NO. So before you use that argument, the Arab nations oppressing the Kurds, need to extend the same philosophical standards they want for the Palestinians!

Although, I do think Israel should just give the Palestinians thier own land, regardless of whether or not they agree to the conditions.

[Edited on 18-4-2004 by Narnia]

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Narnia

Before the Arab nations can cry victim for the Palestinians, maybe they should look at how they are treating the Kurds in their own back yard. Those Arab nations have repeatedly denied them their own land. It is hypocritical to say Israel should do all these things for the Palestinians when they themselves oppress a group of people that want their own land and freedom. The Kurds have been oppressed in Iraq, Turkey, Iran, Syria, etc.... what about the thousands that dropped dead because of WMD's. Did the Arab nations rise up against Sadam and cry human rights violations? NO. So before you use that argument, the Arab nations oppressing the Kurds, need to extend the same philosophical standards they want for the Palestinians!

The mistreatment of the Kurds by other Arabs does not justify or excuse the US's refusal to allow intervention or protection of the Palestinians by the UN.

Bush and his supporters are claiming that our invasion of Iraq is justified because of the human rights violations perpetrated by Saddam, yet the US government has vetoed every attempt by the UN, to protect Palestinians from being killed and brutalized by the Israeli Army.

Even England acknowledged that the assasinations of the Hamas leaders were "unlawful, unjustified and counter-productive." Yet the US has refused to denounce the killings at all. If we really wanted to be seen as impartial, the US should denounce any and all killing on either side. What would you be thinking/doing if you were a Palestinian?

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Narnia

The mistreatment of the Kurds by other Arabs does not justify or excuse the US's refusal to allow intervention or protection of the Palestinians by the UN.

Bush and his supporters are claiming that our invasion of Iraq is justified because of the human rights violations perpetrated by Saddam, yet the US government has vetoed every attempt by the UN, to protect Palestinians from being killed and brutalized by the Israeli Army.

Even England acknowledged that the assasinations of the Hamas leaders were "unlawful, unjustified and counter-productive." Yet the US has refused to denounce the killings at all. If we really wanted to be seen as impartial, the US should denounce any and all killing on either side. What would you be thinking/doing if you were a Palestinian?

I am not refering to US policy towards the Israeli/ Palestinian conflict, I am speaking of the Arab nations position on Paletinian/Israeli conflict. The way the Kurds are treated are far worst than what is happening to the Palestinians, at least the Palestinians were offered thier own land(which they refused) the Kurds are oppressed and displaced.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Just a follow up.

Up to now, at least, it seems that the tactic of targeting the leadership is working.

Or at least until the Hamas gets a smarter leader.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Up to now, at least, it seems that the tactic of targeting the leadership is working.

I have to agree, Hamas is realizing that sacrificing mindless robots to blow themselves up for Allah may actually result in them losing their cush jobs as incitors of terror.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join