It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hamas Leader Abdel Aziz Rantisi Killed in Israeli Airstrike

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Abdel Aziz Rantisi, the co-founder of Hamas and leader of the group following Ahmed Yassin's death, was killed in an Israeli airstike this afternoon in Gaza City. He was in his car near his home when a helicopter fired two missles into Rantisi's car.

Reuters

Rantisi initially survived the attack and was rushed to a hospital in critical condition with a severe head injury. He died within 5 minutes of reaching the hospital.

Two of Rantisi's bodyguards were also killed.

After the attack, tens of thousands of Palestinians swarmed the streets of Gaza City, calling for revenge at Rantisi's assassination. Hamas released a statement swearing "100 retaliations" in response to the assassination.
"We declare the status of alert and public readiness within all our fighting cells...until the 100 retaliations, which will shake the criminal entity, are done."

Many Arab leaders have condemned the attack, and British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw publicly expressed his displeasure with the incident.

Hamas has stated it will not reveal the identity of its new leader.

Related Stories:
Guardian.co.uk
MSNBC.com

Related ATSNN/TA Stories:
Hamas Founder Sheikh Ahmed Yassin Assassinated
Hamas Declares Open War on Israel
Israel to Kill Hamas Founder
Profile on Terrorist Group Hamas
Hamas Names Two New Leaders; Israel Will Target Hamas Leaders

[Edited on 18-4-2004 by Banshee]

[Edited on 19-4-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Fox News story:

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip � Israel blew up Hamas leader Abdel Aziz Rantisi's car in Gaza City on Saturday, Israeli security sources said. Palestinian rescue sources said two people were killed and one was badly injured.

Palestinian sources confirmed the car belonged to a high-ranking member of Hamas.

A burned, destroyed car was left on the road a block from Rantisi's house and one badly burned body was removed from the car by paramedics. Witnesses said there were three people in the car at the time.

It was unclear if Rantisi, Hamas' top leader in Gaza, was in the car at the time of the explosion.

www.foxnews.com...

[Edited on 17-4-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
There are rumors on Israeli radio that he may have died from his injuries.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
FOX News reporting him dead at 2:00 PM EST.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Confirmation from Haaretz:

Hamas leader Abdel Aziz Rantisi was killed in an Israeli helicopter missile strike on his car Saturday evening. Two other people were killed in the strike, witnesses said.

A burned, destroyed car was left on the road near Rantisi's house and one badly burned body was removed from the car by paramedics. Witnesses said there were three people in the car at the time.

www.haaretz.com...

He didn't last long at all.
Yassin was just killed last month.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
FOX News reporting him dead at 2:00 PM EST.

I guess I should open a nice bottle of something to celebrate.

This wasnt news submission! This was a thread that got turned into a news story.

[Edited on 17-4-2004 by Agent47]

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I'm not sure how effective these assassinations are.

This will anger Palestinians and will probably lead to more suicide bombings.

I'm not saying the assassinations are not justified, I'm just wondering if it's the wisest thing to do.

He may be replaced by someone even more extreme.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I can't say that I'm crying.
Only last month I saw a news report where this guy was stating that he and his organisation were going to kill more Israelis.

Guess he should have kept his mouth shut.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
I'm not sure how effective these assassinations are.

This will anger Palestinians and will probably lead to more suicide bombings.

I'm not saying the assassinations are not justified, I'm just wondering if it's the wisest thing to do.

He may be replaced by someone even more extreme.

I dont think so. After Yasin's assasination Palestinians promised Israel "hell on Earth". did anything happen? Nothing. Actually the situation in Israel is much better than year before. I wonder if all the terrorists are going to the Iraq or what.

Qos

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
As I can see most of the members on these bored are pro Israeli.
Well here is one point to bare in mind, no matter what Israel dose no matter how hard they try to kill, bomb, destroy, wipe out, the Palestinians it is a FACT, the Palestinians are under occupation. People there are defending them selves with stones, and if they use a weapon they are called terrorist.
The more assassinations are taken place the more suicide bombing are going to commit both sides agendas are to wipe out the party out, this is an on going war. Where a lot of people�s interests are to see this conflict to continue. Instead of most of you acting like spectator�s how about you actually do something about it.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   

as quoted by Qos
Instead of most of you acting like spectator�s how about you actually do something about it.

And your doing what exactly to contribute Qos?

seekerof

[Edited on 17-4-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

On first glance, using this new tactic of overtly targeting the leadership of Hamas is a new one, the long-term effects of which remain to be seen.

Hamas will run out of new leaders before Israel runs out of missles. This is bad for Israel (and the world) in the sense that the depleted Palestinian leadership will be replaced by others, such as al Qaeda.

On the other hand, giving al Qaeda multiple fronts on which to fight is a good thing, in that it stretches them thin and easier to target.

________

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qos
Instead of most of you acting like spectator�s how about you actually do something about it.

I think Israel has all the money and guns they need so I don't see a need to contribute.

Maybe the next Palestine terrorist leader should be more careful when he threatens to murder innocent people.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
another example of just how cold blooded Sharon is....

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
i say let them wipe themselves out. its obvious that theres no peacful solution to this thing

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Hamas chief killed in air strike

The head of the militant Islamic movement Hamas in the Gaza Strip, Abdel Aziz al-Rantissi, has been killed in an attack on his vehicle.
Mr Rantissi was driving his car in a Gaza suburb as an Israeli helicopter fired missiles at it, witnesses say.

At least two other people were also killed and several more injured.

The attack came hours after a suicide bomber killed himself and an Israeli soldier at the Erez checkpoint just north of Gaza city.

Links
BBC
ANALYSIS
Profile: Hamas leader Rantissi
Profile: Mahmoud Abbas
Profile: Yasser Arafat
In Depth
The Israeli Government
UN-Palestine
COUNTRY PROFILES
The Camp David Accords of 1979

hope you find these of use to you

[Edited on 17-4-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by manyak-aasli
another example of just how cold blooded Sharon is....

While Sharon seeks to kill the enemy, He does not seek to randomly and indiscriminately murder them the way Hamas does.

Qos

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Do you really believe my friend in the old adage that in order to appreciate peace we must have war???????

I did not think so, nor do I think this board of educated and intelligent persons would ever agree!!!

So why I ask is Israel as a nation for ever since its conception as a contemporary state is in an unstable state of war against there own fellow citizens as well as the custodians of there near ancient culture!!!

This is to me as others with a little common sense does not make me see the point if there is one , as I always have naively assumed that in war the aggressor was the one held to be wrong / bad guys etc and that there are only victims and most are and have been always come from the weak and the meek i.e. innocent , however in this war I do not think there are any innocent parties when it comes down to violence , but in terms of a clear collective consciousness then It is there for all to see that there is only one side��..?

As to what my contribution is it is as it should be from all others that is for real peace , which requires disarmament from both sides\on all levels as peace can never prosper nor can prosperity in a WAR ZONE���

ALL THAT IS NEEDED FOR EVIL TO PROSPER IS\ THAT GOOD PEOPLE DO NOTHING

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
� Assassination could signal drive to wipe out terror group
� Rocket strike condemned by Foreign Secretary Jack Straw

Israeli forces assassinated Hamas leader Abdel Aziz Rantissi last night, in what appeared to be the start of a campaign to destroy the organisation before Israel pulls out of Gaza as part of a US-sanctioned deal. That deal, agreed last week, would allow Israel to annexe large areas of the West Bank in exchange.
In a move that immediately attracted widespread condemnation, including from Foreign Secretary Jack Straw who described the killing as illegal, Rantissi was killed with two aides as missiles slammed into his car.

'The British Government has made it repeatedly clear that so-called "targeted assassinations" of this kind are unlawful, unjustified and counter-productive,' Straw said last night.

Rantissi became the head of Hamas following Israel's assassination of Sheikh Ahmed Yassin last month. His death came hours after an Israeli border guard was killed and three others injured in a suicide bombing at the Erez Border Crossing in Gaza. Hamas and the Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigade claimed they carried out that attack.

Israeli missile attack kills new Hamas chief

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Rantisi�s son and body guard also killed in Gaza

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - An Israeli missile strike killed Hamas leader Abdel Aziz Rantisi as he rode in his car Saturday night, hospital officials said. Rantisi�s son Mohammed and a bodyguard also were killed in the attack.

The militant Hamas leader was one of Israel�s top targets after it had assassinated Hamas founder Sheik Ahmed Yassin in an air strike last month.

Rantisi�s car was hit with missiles Saturday evening on the road outside his home, leaving only the burned, destroyed vehicle. After the explosion, Israeli helicopters were heard in the area.

Rantisi was taken to the hospital in critical condition, his body pocked with bloody wounds and blood streaming from his head and neck, and rushed into emergency surgery. He died five minutes after arriving at the hospital, officials said.

Israeli strike kills Hamas leader

[Edited on 17-4-2004 by Ocelot]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join