It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crisis? What Crisis?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by HughS
This viewpoint seems to be becoming more popular...

See this link on Indymedia for a news story in the same vein!

www.indymedia.org.uk...

The article says "Europeans doubtful of global financial crisis". My passport says Im American, but since I live in Europe maybe its attitudes have rubbed off on me.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kewell_31
how can we pretend we will be fine?

Thats not what the intent here is. The intent is to show that nothing was "fine" in the first place and that if we can finally admit that instead of covering it up, we can make it better.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
To be honest, I haven't felt this crisis whatsoever. If it weren't for the markets going down, I would think this economic downturn is just fear-mongering by politicians and the media. I don't know anyone who has lost their job, nor house.

Honestly, I feel the same, but was afraid to post it. I didn't want to offend anyone who may have lost their jobs, homes, or are having trouble putting food on the table. Although grocery shopping has gotten quite expensive. Possibly supermarkets using the current "crisis" as a way of explaining rising prices? I live in the NorthEast, and my roofer, construction friends/family have worked throughout the winter season. no one has lost their homes. The biggest complaints are the higher prices in stores, and the Cities/States applying taxes to anything they can think of. Can you imagine wanting to put a chip in auto registry stickers to charge an emissions tax to drivers by the mile?
Despite all of this, I am visiting survival sites on the internet, printing out checklists, and beginning to think and stock up on supplies I may need in the future if TSHTF...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Savage Khan
What concerns me is why they have created a crisis. If I learned anything from the last administration it's that in order for the government to receive support for an idea or strategy they first create a crisis.

The more incompetent a government is the more it needs to cater to peoples fears in order to justify its actions.

Well observed. Bush needed the fear of terrorism to justify his actions, Obama needs the fear of Economic Depression to justify his.

Its a game thats been played over and over and over since thousands of years.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by angst18

These despondent neighbourhoods and workers you speak of were here all along. They didnt just pop up out of nowhere because of this "crisis".

On a global scale we`ve been in a crisis since thousands of years, the most noteworthy being mass-starvation in the third world.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by rufusdrak
Is it just me or is Skyfloating the biggest candidate for Disinfo agent on this entire site? Everything I've seen this person post thus far is in support of the NWO/elites.
Someone needs to trace this person's IP and make sure it's not coming from the Pentagon.

You think that telling people to keep their heads up and stop being afraid of the msm and government is "NWO-Disinfo"?

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by rufusdrak
Is it just me or is Skyfloating the biggest candidate for Disinfo agent on this entire site? Everything I've seen this person post thus far is in support of the NWO/elites.
Someone needs to trace this person's IP and make sure it's not coming from the Pentagon.

You think that telling people to keep their heads up and stop being afraid of the msm and government is "NWO-Disinfo"?

As I said and believe , had anyone other than a "mod" started this thread , they would be flamed to bits, Like it or not "mods" will sway people as they are seen as authority figures, like it or not, the downturn is REAL, not a chance to seek inner growth for most

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

Thanks for giving me something to ponder on. I`d tend to agree that any belief in security outside of ones own self-confidence is illusory.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
OP I think your statement is a slap to the face of all those who have lost their jobs, homes, retirement who are struggling to survive. It is not because that you have the chance to have a job that has not been outsourced to China or a PhD graduate doing housework or flipping burgers that everything is happy and sunny.
Sure there are jobs out there but not for everyone.

Who said anything about happy and sunny?

One question raised in the OP was:

Is it really that bad to loose crappy jobs? I for one would rather have no job than a crappy job.

Why are people so keen and eager to do something that is dull, unhealthy, degrading or painful?

Why is "getting a job" (no matter how crappy) seen as the ultimate achievement?

The answer is: "To get food and housing".

Which leads us to deeper-seated problems:

Why have we, as a society, given up making our own food and housing?

And deeper and deeper it goes. But these things will never be adressed if we keep scaping the surface and think its actually an accomplishment to get some lousy job.

Disclaimer: my opinion only.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by branty
As I said and believe , had anyone other than a "mod" started this thread , they would be flamed to bits, Like it or not "mods" will sway people as they are seen as authority figures, like it or not, the downturn is REAL, not a chance to seek inner growth for most

You keep bringing up "Mod", "Mod", "Mod". My personal opinions have nothing whatsoever to do with my modding-activities which I do as an aside here. Im an ATS-Member, address me as such.

As to your on-topic comment: Im not disagreeing that its not "real". I am disagreeing that it is what msm tells you it is.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

My freind , you either come from a well to do family , with a safety net available "if" you fail at something, are very successful at your current job, kudo's to you, or delusional, (I hope not) NOBODY wants to work at a crappy job, family situations some time dictates no choice Edit I didnt mention mod , had this wrote before reading ur last post, my point with the mod thing was the amount of people in agreement was being slighted by it, I will stop referring to it, if you will agree it may have a impact

[edit on 3-3-2009 by branty]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
pretty much my thoughts too. the economy has been one of the biggest scams that we've pretty much let ourselves be enslaved to.
i keep seeing all the posts going on about the end of the world from this and just say 'why?'

so the economy's broke, get a new better set up, dont let it rule you like our past system did, and get on with your lives

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Gren]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hypntick

You have a point. I should not assume that everyone wants to be self-sufficient, self-employed, etc. My mistake.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Great post and I have to say I agree with you.

I still consider this situation a 'kind' of crisis, though, as it relates to our current world belief structure (our present day consumer paradigm that is falling apart as certain parties scramble to patch it together to maintain control). We're being faced, perhaps for the first time in truth (or by force), to look at how we've actually BEEN for quite some time. When a consumption based paradigm begins to crumble because of its un-sustainability, those who've been born, raised and conditioned through it (practically all of us to some degree) can look at it as a crisis quite easily - because it's the only way we've ever known and nothing we do on the level of 'this' structure (using money to solve problems) seems to be working to keep things going the way they've gone before (you know - business as usual, nothing to see here, work work work).

There are those that look at this time as paramount to the evolution of our species, a time to 'grow up', and there are those that look at it for what it is - the world as we've known it is dissipating. This thought can scare some people, it can excite others, and even still it can go unnoticed by many more people who simply don’t care - until their personal lives (or possessions) are affected. Fear is one of the emotions that can direct an entire population, and some might say hope can be used to the same degree, as they are excellent tools to manipulate the minds of others - I think this is a big reason the crisis is being perceived the way it is.

To me, I don’t look at it in the way the media and political leaders are trying to present it (a dire crisis that needs to be addressed from their perspective alone), but as an honest crisis of the present human condition. We're facing the edge of the nest, so to speak, and we either fly, or fall, as countless other civilizations have before us - in my humble opinion.

This is wonderful topic to speculate on - thank you.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by branty

My freind , you either come from a well to do family , with a safety net available "if" you fail at something, are very successful at your current job, kudo's to you, or delusional, (I hope not) NOBODY wants to work at a crappy job, family situations some time dictates no choice Edit I didnt mention mod , had this wrote before reading ur last post, my point with the mod thing was the amount of people in agreement was being slighted by it, I will stop referring to it, if you will agree it may have a impact

You were correct in saying that some people dont tough-talk because of the Mod-title. Other people are just genuinely nice.

You`re also correct in thinking that I appreciate tough-talk like that which you are providing.

As to your other points: Ive spent a fair amount of time in all three social classes...both as a child and an adult. I´ve been comfortable in all three.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Been a pleasure disagreeing with you

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Totally agree with the OP, The best move I ever made was getting rid of the cable TV and stick to things I want to watch like DVD's and the good old interweb. No news really is good news lol.

Has there ever been a time when the economy wasn't under threat? they seem to cook up all this crap when they don't get the expected pay increases they are used too, meaning the corporate bigwigs that neither work for a living or make anything of value to humanity's profit.

I used to hate those "No Fear" bumper stickers that were everywhere about 15 - 20 years ago, Ironic that its the words I live by these days, go figure.

Peace and prosperity for all in the time when the monetary system falls on its ass screaming "help me!", not even if you were on fire my flexible friend...lol.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Floydshayvious

Liking your thoughts on the "consumer-based-paradigm that is beginning to crumble"

Its not sustainable, its soulless and it was destined to collapse sooner or later. Its a mystery to me why so many are surprised.

A society based on making debt crumbles and will be replaced by something better I believe.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Wonderful thread. I feel personally that this "manufactured crisis" is perhaps their most foolish move yet. For they truly underestimate us, and have a niave belief that all their MC has worked. Well the word on the street is all these conspiracies, while certainly seemingly rejected on the surface, are actually discussed frequently amongst us. The amazing number of people who openly discuss the plots and schemes of leaders in grocery store lineups. Had some really good conversations recently.

Pull the rug out from under people and they will not be ruling from their lofty positions for long. This may very well be the opportunity humanity has to get out from under the slave masters.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
So anybody have some expertise on how long we`ve actually been in debt on a national level? Possibly from the very beginning?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join