It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crisis? What Crisis?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I'm of the firm belief that all this "doom and gloom" now being perpetuated by the MSM is just them shining a spotlight on things that have been going around us for years and years. I'm also afraid that all this attention has a deeper purpose albeit nothing I can specifically point to or explain within a few sentences.

It's going to be interesting (to me, anyway) to watch what happens to the corportatocracy this country has become, what freedoms or restrictions we face and what transference of powers take place.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
What is being repeated over and over is that "credit is frozen".

Now, I have not tried to acquire any new credit since this mess began. In fact, I learned a lesson and so I am trying to reduce my debt.

However, I am still receiving all the goodies in the mail......credit card offers, even mortgage refinance offers from a company I know well which has financed my mortgage for the last 6 years.

They are saying: "Rates are at record lows.....refinance now! Get your 30 year fixed at an all time low". Well, you'll only get this if you have good credit, but it's not like there is no lending at all (like everybody is saying).

It's a cleansing - and that's good IMHO

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This thread gets a big hip hip hooray from me.
Love this.
Crisis redefined as opportunity -
and the chance to finally emerge.
It is about time we get to the core and see what is.
Not an easy transition perhaps -
but a necessary one - with possible benefits
and personal growth - far beyond what we could ever imagine -

[edit on 2-3-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I wholeheartedly agree with you Sky.

I have been getting the intuition more and more lately that this is all a blessing in disguise. We need to be free from that which has enslaved us all for so very very long.

As my material world has been stripped away, I have been given the opportunity to focus on the higher self, the real me. To focus on what really matters, and it is not money.

The transition may not go smoothly, but there is nothing to fear, nothing. This is a time to celebrate if anything.

I would also like to add that myself, my family, and my friends have all been hit very hard by this, and it has been the most valuable tool for growth.

People are afraid of change, not the economy collapsing. Know inside what is you are truly asking for. I personally do not want to raise a child in this slave labor program. We have no need for it.

Live in Love.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
I'm of the firm belief that all this "doom and gloom" now being perpetuated by the MSM is just them shining a spotlight on things that have been going around us for years and years. I'm also afraid that all this attention has a deeper purpose albeit nothing I can specifically point to or explain within a few sentences.

National Debt Graph 1940 - Present

This graph nicely shows that we`ve been in a crisis ever since. We`ve in fact been worse off than at current.

This one is also interesting:

The National Debt Clock

Why is it only now coming to the awareness of the broader public? Maybe they feel forced to stop talking to us as if we were children and let us in on our situation.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by skeeveve

Which reminds me of the fact that every second american is in credit card debt while at the same time blaming the government for being in debt.

An example of how a government is only a reflection of its citizens...

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I agree, good things may come of this but only because once you hit rock bottom the only place to go is up. I know more people than I would like to who have been effected by our slumping economy and they would probably slap you in the face if you presented this thread to them.

Originally posted by Skyfloating

An example of how a government is only a reflection of its citizens...

I don't agree with this statement at all but maybe that's just me. I would tend to say that citizens become a reflection of their government and not the other way around. America has always been a big spender on all fronts and has guided it citizens down the same road with bunk policies.

This may be the best for us in the long run but getting to the light at the end of the tunnel might be a little more gruesome than expected.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation

I don't agree with this statement at all but maybe that's just me. I would tend to say that citizens become a reflection of their government and not the other way around. America has always been a big spender on all fronts and has guided it citizens down the same road with bunk policies.

Well...whether the government came first or the people...they both display similar behavior. The individual, fully aware of the consequences, maxes out his credit card. The government does the same. We ARE the government, imo.

This may be the best for us in the long run but getting to the light at the end of the tunnel might be a little more gruesome than expected.

Check out the national debt graph posted earlier. We`ve been worse off. But, and here`s the big But...they needed WorldWarII in order to decrease national debt.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
[edit on 3-3-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   

they would probably slap you in the face if you presented this thread to them.

I actually expected them to show up here but they havent.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

they would probably slap you in the face if you presented this thread to them.

I actually expected them to show up here but they havent.

They probably will eventually, you know how touchy a thread like this can get

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I agree that a large percent of the American citizenry has abused the credit system. It was like a carrot on a stick that most people just couldn't resist when trying to keep up with the neighborhood.

I'm not so sure if we are the government at this point in time due to choices made lately in Washington. I think we can agree that we are major contributors to the government but I'm uncertain if our opinions mean all that much to them.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by TV_Nation]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Excellent post and one with much merit.

I have stated before both on here and in public that this 'crisis' is absolutely illusional in several very real ways.

Face it: your local higways are still jammed with cars each rush hour. The local wal-mart still has a long line. Chances are you still have a job much as you did months or years ago.

Also it needs to be addressed to some of our more panic prone citizens that this is by no means the first time this type of 'crisis' has been promoted. The late '70's and early 1980's also had this 'gloom and doom' feeling to many. A bit grimmer even.

I have found it highly ironic that many on here that are fearful of the 'MSM'(while never truly realizing that their myspace ads, yahoo news, music videos and even 'alternative news' sites are ALSO branches of the 'MSM') now find themselves quoting from it daily. Those that accuse everyone else of being 'asleep' may actually be the ones that are being manipulated.

Ironically, the only real problem is that the illusion could somehow trigger the reality. Sad.
Just my opinions and observations based on actually living in the world.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Clark Savage Jr.]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

holy crap, I agree with a mod for once.

I know its fashionable to spout doom and gloom and oh my lord the sky is falling, but lets face it, most recessions last what, 2 years.. we're how many months into this since it was 'officially' announced? 6 months and we'll be out of it. the main ones suffering are the fat cats and those who were already way over their heads.

but, those who want to panic will panic anyways.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I just wish it would just get on with it.
Everybody knows it's going to happen, the sooner it crashes the
sooner can start to move on.

It's like watching someone with lung cancer, it's just a painful death
and you know it's going to happen and you can't stop it.

If you were unemployed since before end of last year, your chance of getting
a job are very slim and if your over 40-45 even slimmer.
With every country depending on every country, the scale of how many
are going to loose jobs,mortgages is imposible to comprehend.
There won't be single occupation not affected. I don't think people realise
how far reaching this is going to be, politicians just keep adding more sugar.
As long as their pay is there, they don't see a problem.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clark Savage Jr.

Face it: your local higways are still jammed with cars each rush hour. The local wal-mart still has a long line. Chances are you still have a job much as you did months or years ago.

Having been to places in Africa where a glass of water and maybe (just maybe) a small bowl of rice is all you get each day I am truly embarrassed when we talk of being in the darkest depression of all times.

Also it needs to be addressed to some of our more panic prone citizens that this is by no means the first time this type of 'crisis' has been promoted. The late '70's and early 1980's also had this 'gloom and doom' feeling to many. A bit grimmer even.

It has been grimmer a few times. I guess the msm are offering their scenario to a younger generation who`s impressionable minds will just swallow it without question.

I have found it highly ironic that many on here that are fearful of the 'MSM'(while never truly realizing that their myspace ads, yahoo news, music videos and even 'alternative news' sites are ALSO branches of the 'MSM') now find themselves quoting from it daily. Those that accuse everyone else of being 'asleep' may actually be the ones that are being manipulated.

Im grateful that someone here can see how many in the "alternative media" are parroting mass-media.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic_al

As long as their pay is there, they don't see a problem.

Something that has made us dull and complacent imo.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

Yes. One could argue that us average people never had any real money in the first place and therefore nothing is really lost except for the big players.

[edit on 3-3-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I see massive opportunity and I am in the process of starting 2 new businesses that will be filling voids in the market place. During the last Depression many millionaires were made because of opportunities that were presented by finding a need for the people and filling that need.

It will not be the Socialized Government that pulls us thru this man made financial crisis it will be individuals and entrepreneurs that will pull us thru with new ideas by introducing new and old inventions that will be coming to the market place. You say no one will have the money to buy these new inventions that will help mankind. This is where my new business comes into play.

We as a Nation have been set up to take a fall and most individuals did what they were suppose to by working at a job, buying a house, buying automobiles and helping educate our children. The problem we as a Nation have are unscrupulous executives of corporations and politicians. The elected representatives were suppose to be overseeing these corporations and banks but these are the same institutions that are giving politicians the loans for their big homes and new automobiles. It is the fox protecting the hen house.

Everybody wants to blame the other but remember back in 2001 our government knew there was a problem with Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae but nothing was done to correct the situation. No one wants to take responsibility for their actions. AIG wants billions of more dollars to bail themselves out so where does it end, it doesn't. You as an individual can depend on the government or you can depend on yourself like you always have in the past. Remember when the government gives you money there is always strings attached that you are seeing in the banking industry. Now here is the ultimate question do you want yourself or the Government controlling you and your family's life?

[edit on 3-3-2009 by amari]

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Having seen what true want is, I've never bought into the notion that this is the "darkest recession/depression" in our nations history.

I still see people doing much the same as they've always done. Maybe a bit of reprioritising in places. Going to plays instead of the movies, or making the car last a while longer rather than get a new one once the payments are done.

I think people are coming to the conclusion (which should have been selfevident long ago) that relying upon others for your well being is a dangerous way to go. The recent unease over 401K's can be used as evidence of that.

Great post, sky...not surprising.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join